New to hydroponics, assistance needed

• Thread starter Lynch_Ironside
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Update. Moved into the larger tent and switched to hps.
Any recommendations on a budget led light. This hps throws some decent heat, and the cooling fan is kinda loud. I'd like to get away from this antiquated tech.

@beluga if you have any new prototypes that you want me to test I will! I'd love to build a light rig like yours but it seems quite beyond my skill level. I'd also love to get a diablo @Aqua Man but even at 1000 refurbished it's a bit beyond my price point at the moment. Really looking to stay around 300 or so.... just so I can dip my toes in a bit.

I've heard good things about the mars ts1000. Still doing research but I figured if anybody could point me in the right direction it'd be you guys. 👍

20201213 081846
20201213 081826
20201213 081836
beluga

beluga

Update. Moved into the larger tent and switched to hps.
Any recommendations on a budget led light. This hps throws some decent heat, and the cooling fan is kinda loud. I'd like to get away from this antiquated tech.

@beluga if you have any new prototypes that you want me to test I will! I'd love to build a light rig like yours but it seems quite beyond my skill level. I'd also love to get a diablo @Aqua Man but even at 1000 refurbished it's a bit beyond my price point at the moment. Really looking to stay around 300 or so.... just so I can dip my toes in a bit.

I've heard good things about the mars ts1000. Still doing research but I figured if anybody could point me in the right direction it'd be you guys. 👍
What square footage you running?

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Short answer: 16 sqft
Long answer: Currently running a 4x4x6 and a 4x2x4(forget about this tent). I'm going to be expanding in the near future. I have a line on some mylar lined insulated perishable shipping tent that is 10x8x5, I'll pick that up when I go visit the family for Christmas. That'll be a project though and I think I'll be able to get a couple more auto grows in before the new "tent" is up.

beluga

beluga

Short answer: 16 sqft
Long answer: Currently running a 4x4x6 and a 4x2x4(forget about this tent). I'm going to be expanding in the near future. I have a line on some mylar lined insulated perishable shipping tent that is 10x8x5, I'll pick that up when I go visit the family for Christmas. That'll be a project though and I think I'll be able to get a couple more auto grows in before the new "tent" is up.
Yeah... you'll be looking at a pretty penny to get that covered with LEDs.
4 x 4, you'll want a 480W to get you to 30W/sqft. 8 x 10, 2400W 😬.
The lower end of quality LEDs is around $1.35/W... so $650ish. Covering that 8 x 10 will see you probably well over $3k.

So... if you wanna get your feet wet, I'd probably go for one of the cheapos like Kingbrite, SF, Viparspectra, etc... they do the thing for sure and a lot of people get great results from them.

DIY can see you with decent savings, getting you down to ~$1.20/W depending on components.. but you have all the peripherals like a soldering pen, multimeter, etc... so it's kinda just more beneficial for the enjoyment of DIYing. Now that I'm onto my second light, I'm seeing a lot of savings, and decking out my whole 4x8 will probably see me close to $1.20/W even with the IR addition.
Shipping costs on my fixtures would be pretty nuts and probably push it way over what an established company would charge... at least one of the cheaper guys.

That might be a little overboard of an explanation, but hopefully gives you some better direction.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Yeah... you'll be looking at a pretty penny to get that covered with LEDs.
4 x 4, you'll want a 480W to get you to 30W/sqft. 8 x 10, 2400W 😬.
The lower end of quality LEDs is around $1.35/W... so $650ish. Covering that 8 x 10 will see you probably well over $3k.

So... if you wanna get your feet wet, I'd probably go for one of the cheapos like Kingbrite, SF, Viparspectra, etc... they do the thing for sure and a lot of people get great results from them.

DIY can see you with decent savings, getting you down to ~$1.20/W depending on components.. but you have all the peripherals like a soldering pen, multimeter, etc... so it's kinda just more beneficial for the enjoyment of DIYing. Now that I'm onto my second light, I'm seeing a lot of savings, and decking out my whole 4x8 will probably see me close to $1.20/W even with the IR addition.
Shipping costs on my fixtures would be pretty nuts and probably push it way over what an established company would charge... at least one of the cheaper guys.

That might be a little overboard of an explanation, but hopefully gives you some better direction.
Thanks for the info.... I know what you mean those peripherals can certainly creep up on you...I'm down the rabbit hole now watching reviews on the YouTube. I'll check out the ones you mentioned!
I have to make my way back to your thread, cant wait to check out the new light! 👍

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks for the info.... I know what you mean those peripherals can certainly creep up on you...I'm down the rabbit hole now watching reviews on the YouTube. I'll check out the ones you mentioned!
I have to make my way back to your thread, cant wait to check out the new light! 👍
Diy is pretty easy of you have good instructions and you have @beluga here 😁

I dont think you find anything suitable for cheaper than this. Doesn't have the IR but they have with for 100 more. Personally if im on a tight budget for a light not worth it.

Maybe @BurnzYzBudZz can find a further discount? Seen him post in another thread

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Diy is pretty easy of you have good instructions and you have @beluga here 😁

I dont think you find anything suitable for cheaper than this. Doesn't have the IR but they have with for 100 more. Personally if im on a tight budget for a light not worth it.

Maybe @BurnzYzBudZz can find a further discount? Seen him post in another thread

I might consider the diy approach... always had bad luck with anything electrical... if I were in a movie diffusing a bomb I'd definitely cut the wrong wire 😲
I'll check out his post, thanks aqua!

beluga

beluga

I might consider the diy approach... always had bad luck with anything electrical... if I were in a movie diffusing a bomb I'd definitely cut the wrong wire 😲
I'll check out his post, thanks aqua!
If you do DIY, I'll absolutely be happy to help wherever I can. I learned most of what I know now from the guys over at LEDGardener and then refined that with various online articles (LED Supply has some great content) and a few books on doing home/industrial electric to code (also needed for renovating my house).

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Just going over your post again @beluga... and I do appreciate the offer of assistance on the build I think I'm gonna hold off a bit on the diy. Looks really cool and it's something I will do eventually for sure but at the moment I'm looking for fast and easy.
I plan on rewiring some of my hose in the spring, they replaced half of the knob and tube before I bought so I should probably finish it up... maybe that'll ignite a little hussle to build my own.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Looking much better that what this started as man. As yet another "user review" of @Aqua Man, I've converted to a live res as a result of his instruction. Granted, I'm not DWC, but the knowledge applies all the same. Looks like you're getting things in order just in time.

Once you get through all the initial hiccups, it'll be smooth sailing. I'd debated going hydro for years, but was terrified as most are at first. Took the plunge and once I got a few unanticipated details addressed, it has become my go-to method for the foreseeable future. There are just too many positives to go back to something even like coco for production methods.

Good luck, and happy growing :)

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Looking much better that what this started as man. As yet another "user review" of @Aqua Man, I've converted to a live res as a result of his instruction. Granted, I'm not DWC, but the knowledge applies all the same. Looks like you're getting things in order just in time.

Once you get through all the initial hiccups, it'll be smooth sailing. I'd debated going hydro for years, but was terrified as most are at first. Took the plunge and once I got a few unanticipated details addressed, it has become my go-to method for the foreseeable future. There are just too many positives to go back to something even like coco for production methods.

Good luck, and happy growing :)
Thanks man! Yeah aqua and a few others have been a gigantic help... I cant say enough good things about @Aqua Man and his vast expanse he calls a brain.... I might start referring to him as Dr. Aqua man.
I tried coco too, just harvested that grow... not a fan.
Even with the bumps I've hit so far I'm digging hydro way more. The growth factor and the ability to know absolutes like ec/ppm root temp and ph are much more satisfying to me than the old wait and see method. I already have another reservoir I'll be adding with a couple additional plants. 😆
Along with a photo period pineapple kush thatll be in a stand alone 5gal bucket.
Thanks for stopping in! I'll keep the updates coming!

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Thanks man! Yeah aqua and a few others have been a gigantic help... I cant say enough good things about @Aqua Man and his vast expanse he calls a brain.... I might start referring to him as Dr. Aqua man.
I tried coco too, just harvested that grow... not a fan.
Even with the bumps I've hit so far I'm digging hydro way more. The growth factor and the ability to know absolutes like ec/ppm root temp and ph are much more satisfying to me than the old wait and see method. I already have another reservoir I'll be adding with a couple additional plants. 😆
Along with a photo period pineapple kush thatll be in a stand alone 5gal bucket.
Thanks for stopping in! I'll keep the updates coming!

So, the #1 thing I learned in my years of growing with coco is fertigation is key. Handwatering just does not cut it. No one wants to be mixing n gallons of solution multiple times a day to hand water, so they end up restricting it to 2-3 times a day, at inconsistent times. In an automated DTW system (which could be recirculating) the growth rates are insane. Very similar to hydro, and a bit more forgiving.

Regardless, you're on the better side of the learning curve now. Glad to see another swimmer taking off :D

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

So, the #1 thing I learned in my years of growing with coco is fertigation is key. Handwatering just does not cut it. No one wants to be mixing n gallons of solution multiple times a day to hand water, so they end up restricting it to 2-3 times a day, at inconsistent times. In an automated DTW system (which could be recirculating) the growth rates are insane. Very similar to hydro, and a bit more forgiving.

Regardless, you're on the better side of the learning curve now. Glad to see another swimmer taking off :D
Yeah watering was a pain, I hand watered 3 gallon fabric smart pots. The runoff was a pain too. I had a shower basin with the drain feeding into my floor drain, this turned out to be way over complicated, and made watering more difficult. In the end I cut a small hole in the bottom corner of the tent and let the pitch of the floor take care of the rest. Now I'm the proud owner of a second hand shower basin, its curntley leaning precariously against a shelf waiting for me to stub my toe on it again.
I haven't done any research on ebb and flow yet but I'm kinda interested in that type of set up. Maybe I can use that shower basin yet...

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Yeah watering was a pain, I hand watered 3 gallon fabric smart pots. The runoff was a pain too. I had a shower basin with the drain feeding into my floor drain, this turned out to be way over complicated, and made watering more difficult. In the end I cut a small hole in the bottom corner of the tent and let the pitch of the floor take care of the rest. Now I'm the proud owner of a second hand shower basin, its curntley leaning precariously against a shelf waiting for me to stub my toe on it again.
I haven't done any research on ebb and flow yet but I'm kinda interested in that type of set up. Maybe I can use that shower basin yet...

Check out the thread in my sig and learn from my mistakes. F&D is the absolute easiest hydro method, and the applications are endless (except for with heavy water retention medias, ie soil). Low cost, easy implementation, and maintenance is simple. 10/10 recommend.

Badchoice

Badchoice

Lol with my side grow in 70/30 coco perlite I just use old res water from my DWC and I’ve oddly had zero problems with feeding and I don’t check for run off or anything I just splash and dash the fabric pot zip up the tent and go on my way

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Check out the thread in my sig and learn from my mistakes. F&D is the absolute easiest hydro method, and the applications are endless (except for with heavy water retention medias, ie soil). Low cost, easy implementation, and maintenance is simple. 10/10 recommend.
I will pop over and have a read!
Lol with my side grow in 70/30 coco perlite I just use old res water from my DWC and I’ve oddly had zero problems with feeding and I don’t check for run off or anything I just splash and dash the fabric pot zip up the tent and go on my way
Nice, I'm not that lucky, guaranteed I'd have issues🤣

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Update.
Someone needs to make a filter that shows the true color under a hps, I mean they have filters that make you look like an alien, a dog even fucking Frankensteins monster but nobody has made this yet. Someone should be fired.

20201214 083733
20201214 083725
20201214 083721
philzfree420now

philzfree420now

Good day fellow farmers. I have just started my first hydroponic grow... well technically my second, my first set of seeds was dead within 24 hours.
The rundown - white widow fem autos
Day 1
I started my seedlings in a paper towel
Day 3
Transfer of seedlings to pre-soaked rapid rooter cubes
Day 5
Taproot is visible from the bottom of the cube
Transfer to reservoir
Day 6
24 hours after transfer to reservoir
Leaves twisting

Parameters
Water temp in res - 76 f
Temp in tent - 72 f
Rh 55
Ph - 6.04
EC - .3 or a ppm of 170-180
Using RO water
Nutes are added at general hydroponics recommendations for seedlings
Calmag added at 1 ml per gallon
5 gallons in res
Southern ag added at 2ml per gallon
250 watt mh with a current lux of 13000 on an eighteen hour light cycle
5 gallons in res

Could the southern ag cause this? I may have way too much of that floating around in there... if anyone has pics of an ag overdose I'd like to see them.

I think that's everything, if I missed anything let me know. I would like to see these girls all grown up some day and your help is greatly appreciated.
Number 1 and 1st and foremost is your water is 76 degrees which is 8 degree's over what is recommended! You must run hydroguard in nute res always, you skimp on this 1 thing you can take your whole grow and trash it! I will say one thing about auto's and not because i dislike them but because of the fact that auto's are very very very finicky! Personally if i was starting to grow and using hydroponics i would pick a more hardy strain to start with! Many start with Girl Scout Cookies <GSC>! Oh if using hydroguard i've run hydro up to 74 degree's but to be 100% honest getting your res temp to 68-70 degree['s is optimal and you will have way less problems with the plants if the res temp is kept at 68-70 with hydroguard! Hydroguard is your best friend in hydro grow in your res or your roots will be shit show and not the sweet white you want them to be!!! Now as to Nute's i've used JR. Peters line of nutes for everything inside and out! I'm anal and changed my 5 gallon DWC buckets every 5 to 7 days, if you have a recirculating system you can go 7 to 10 days and some do 2 weeks but that would wreck my OCD!!!! Lots of info on PPm for stage of growth i'm doing organic and went with nectar of the gods with promix. Nectar of the gods is too thick for DWC IMHO, I thinjk you can find an organic nute for dwc but i went organic after a bit though i did enjoy DWC, Just make sure you keep it Clean as possible! Enjoy your grow imho auto's in DWC i've seen great results but i never did so it's all just photo'ss!

beluga

beluga

I dunno what you're taking pictures with, but there is usually a "Pro" or manual mode on smart phones where you can adjust your white balance (WB) to a specific Kelvin temperature. I dunno how well it'd work with HPS, but worth a shot (🤭).

Top Bottom