New to hydroponics, assistance needed

• Thread starter Lynch_Ironside
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
beluga

beluga

Keep it simple and you will be happy.
That.
I'm about 10 grows deep in hydro and I'm still using a duo. One for grow. One for bloom.
The bud is great and I don't have to worry about fucking anything up.
There are so many other parameters to concern yourself with before getting into nutrient specifications that have already been formulated for your ease-of-use.
Lock those in before you start messing around with something that can be dead simple.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Sounds like a plan, I'll keep it simple for a while until I get my training wheels off 😆 @Aqua Man @beluga and @Badchoice thanks for all the input and advice and thanks to everyone else too! Loving this community!
Lol onto the flush already badchoice? I think I saw a different post with some flushing advice badminton between you and aqua?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

On hydro you just need to drop the ppm. In soil they flush because that's how they lower the ppm..

Badchoice

Badchoice

Sounds like a plan, I'll keep it simple for a while until I get my training wheels off 😆 @Aqua Man @beluga and @Badchoice thanks for all the input and advice and thanks to everyone else too! Loving this community!
Lol onto the flush already badchoice? I think I saw a different post with some flushing advice badminton between you and aqua?
Nono I mean the final flush, once you get pass the bloom and ripen weeks the last thing you do is flush before cropping ya know the 24 hours of darkness blah blah blah all that fun stuff lol ignore flush cycles like what you see on like fox farm feed chart they say ever two weeks that’s a waste of time that’s been pointed out too me by @Aqua Man

Badchoice

Badchoice

Thanks for the info @Badchoice and @Aqua Man. One of the things I love the most about this hobby is that there a lot of different roads that lead to the same destination. 👍

I'll definitely look in the liquid karma. Would this be needed if I'm using silica blast?

As for the hydroguard I was doing some research and came across southern ag fungicide. Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens (say that 5 times fast) is the active ingredient in both the hydroguard and southern ag, but the later has a higher concentration. I think I was talking to someone on here about that in a different post.
I use liquid karma and I like it, it’s just a suggestion. For me it helps because of the weird weather and humidity so it helps with shock or stress for my self not everyone needs it. But one thing I have noticed that hasn’t been spoken about supplements wise is Cal-Mag, I myself use it and I believe it’s a good thing to have for hydro

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Yup got the calmag from gh, I am a bit fuzzy on amounts to add during veg and flower. I think it says 1 ml per gallon on the bottle but is that the whole grow. There's nitrogen in there which can inhibit bud production or so I've read.
I assume tapper down the last month of flowering. I have plants that are in coco nearing the end of flowering, maybe 3 weeks left, had some problems with ec of my water 550 ppm, I think around 1.1 ec out of the tap. Again thc farmer for the win. If I hadn't stumbled across this place I'm sure I wouldve wound up reading some second class piece of garbage advice.
What's your calmag regiment?

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Oops got sidetracked, I'm still giving the ones in coco a full dose of the calmag due to my belief that they were poorly absorbing nutrients because of the funky initial water. @Badchoice

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Yes. As soon as I learned the importance of tds I purchased a small ro unit the same day.

Badchoice

Badchoice

Yup got the calmag from gh, I am a bit fuzzy on amounts to add during veg and flower. I think it says 1 ml per gallon on the bottle but is that the whole grow. There's nitrogen in there which can inhibit bud production or so I've read.
I assume tapper down the last month of flowering. I have plants that are in coco nearing the end of flowering, maybe 3 weeks left, had some problems with ec of my water 550 ppm, I think around 1.1 ec out of the tap. Again thc farmer for the win. If I hadn't stumbled across this place I'm sure I wouldve wound up reading some second class piece of garbage advice.
What's your calmag regiment?
I funny enough just follow the feed charts just at 1/4 starting at seedling than too half strength starting week one veg till the end so never more than 1.5ml of calmag per gallon and I do 3 gallons total when I hit veg and the same with others so 1ml hydro 2.5ml of liquid 1ml of armor si 2 drops of sledgehammer for the yucca extract and I use tap water lol 😂 no problems either oddly enough

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If you start with 0 ppm IMO they say to add too much and I dont like the ratios and the grow contains cal nitrate to boot so I would go with 100-125ppm of cal mag. I'm not sure what that dose would be but use a ppm meter to figure the amount out the forst time then you know.

Then add 1 gram per gal of epsom salt at the end.

If using silica in the form of potassium silicate always add it first. And if you see a calcium issue from the added potassium then there are couples ways to fix that bit I would say unlikely with GH nute ratios.

So with silica your mix goes like this.

Add silica and allow it to mix for atleast 10 min. Then ph down to 6.5... this is important as potassium silicate will jump the ph huge probably in the 9-9.5 range and that can be an issues when adding your other nutes.

Then check ppm and add 100-125ppm of cal mag. So if the ppm after silica is 40then add cal mag until you reach 140to 160ppm.

Then add your other nutrients as you usually do and ph down to your desired Ph.

See how adding 1 thing can make things difficult?

Now if someone else has success using multiple and explain it to you then you should be ok but honestly don't go buying products and adding them without that advice or your gonna end up with issues.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Right on @Badchoice thanks for the chart, I will keep it handy!👍

@Aqua Man got it. Well explained my man. I dont mind the challenge, that's one of the things I enjoy most! If it was too easy it wouldn't be fun... so to clarify
Epsom salt and calmag throughout the grow start to finish? And by finish I mean until the final week of so.
Still a little unclear with the calmag. I've read that it should be reduced while in the flowering stage to ensure nitrogen is not hindering production.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Found a couple of concerns this morning while checking on the girls. The one on the left has a root popping out! So that's super exciting.

however the one on the right is showing some signs of nute burn I think. Not sure how, I have a pretty low ec/ppm light was moved up to 10-11k as instructed. Ph was a bit high 6.36, adjusted to 5.85. Let me know what you think

Oh and another thing I noticed when pulling out some water was a fungus gnat in the water. Now if read that fungus gnats carry pythium (root rot) on their feet. As I have had a substantial problem with them throughout my entire coco grow I'm wondering how much of a concern they are for hydro?

I've tried letting the medium get super dry and tried diatomaceous earth with absolutely zero success. So I use those glue traps to try and decrease their numbers but again they just keep coming as the traps do not effect the larvae. I believe they came from my house plants but who knows.

20201119 084547
20201119 083321
20201119 084823
20201119 084809
20201119 083104
20201119 083043
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

If you start with 0 ppm IMO they say to add too much and I dont like the ratios and the grow contains cal nitrate to boot so I would go with 100-125ppm of cal mag. I'm not sure what that dose would be but use a ppm meter to figure the amount out the forst time then you know.

Then add 1 gram per gal of epsom salt at the end.

If using silica in the form of potassium silicate always add it first. And if you see a calcium issue from the added potassium then there are couples ways to fix that bit I would say unlikely with GH nute ratios.

So with silica your mix goes like this.

Add silica and allow it to mix for at least 10 min. Then ph down to 6.5... this is important as potassium silicate will jump the ph huge probably in the 9-9.5 range and that can be an issues when adding your other nutes.

Then check ppm and add 100-125ppm of cal mag. So if the ppm after silica is 40then add cal mag until you reach 140to 160ppm.

Then add your other nutrients as you usually do and ph down to your desired Ph.

See how adding 1 thing can make things difficult?

Now if someone else has success using multiple and explain it to you then you should be ok but honestly don't go buying products and adding them without that advice or your gonna end up with issues.

Well well well, I was not aware of these steps post adding Si. My RO pH is around 9 anyway, but I mixed it immediately with an electric blender, wondering why it foamed so much 😎

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

@Aqua Man I think I remember reading this in another post. Very good to know.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Possibly light stress too I guess. That one was getting about 1k more lux than the other. I'll give it a few days see how she does with the light moved up.

beluga

beluga

I'm not the guy to talk about bugs... fortunately I never have had to deal with em.
Likewise.
Well. Spider mites once. That was a 'Burn This 🤬 To The Ground!!' solution...
Outdoor is outdoor... bugs happen.

Found a couple of concerns this morning while checking on the girls. The one on the left has a root popping out! So that's super exciting.

however the one on the right is showing some signs of nute burn I think. Not sure how, I have a pretty low ec/ppm light was moved up to 10-11k as instructed. Ph was a bit high 6.36, adjusted to 5.85. Let me know what you think

Oh and another thing I noticed when pulling out some water was a fungus gnat in the water. Now if read that fungus gnats carry pythium (root rot) on their feet. As I have had a substantial problem with them throughout my entire coco grow I'm wondering how much of a concern they are for hydro?

I've tried letting the medium get super dry and tried diatomaceous earth with absolutely zero success. So I use those glue traps to try and decrease their numbers but again they just keep coming as the traps do not effect the larvae. I believe they came from my house plants but who knows.

Your sprouts look healthy and the root coming through is bright white. If you don't notice them (the bugs) multiplying, you should be fine on that front.

Dwcmagic

Dwcmagic

Possibly light stress too I guess. That one was getting about 1k more lux than the other. I'll give it a few days see how she does with the light moved up.
Speaking of LUX, one of my plants is 36,768 and the other 34,503, is that too much? I know zero about LUX, bud sights showed up really well over night after some much needed trimming of leaves in the way also

Top Bottom