New to hydroponics, assistance needed

• Thread starter Lynch_Ironside
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Looks like a bit of nute burn there alone with maybe some heat stress, I'm sure @Aqua Man @Milson or @beluga will k ow for sure on that. What's the heat and humidity like in there, what kind of light, I'm flowering mine at 35-50k right now and seem to be doing well. What is your ppm after mixing nutes and what's the intial water quality like?

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Speaking of LUX, one of my plants is 36,768 and the other 34,503, is that too much? I know zero about LUX, bud sights showed up really well over night after some much needed trimming of leaves in the way also
Parameters?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Speaking of LUX, one of my plants is 36,768 and the other 34,503, is that too much? I know zero about LUX, bud sights showed up really well over night after some much needed trimming of leaves in the way also
Rough guide.

Uprooted clones 5k
Rooted clones and seedlings 5-10k
Veg 18/6 15-45k starting at 15k and increasing 3-5k every few days to a week.
Flower 40-65k again starting at 40k and increasing 3-5k every few days to a week.

Thus is a guidline and depending on many factors they may not do well at the upper limits and possibly may do ok above the upper limits. Always start low and work up.

If the leaves fold like a taco thats a sign of light stress and eventually they will start to bleach.

I shoot for the upper leaves to have just a slight V and 3-4 nodes below to have nice flat leaves. I find this indicates to me im giving them the maximum amount of light they can handle.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What @Badchoice said.
Looking at it i see a slight mag deficiency, either excess calcium or the start of a potassium deficiency.

This does not mean you need to add more but it could be many reasons like ph, temps, VPD, watering, nutrient ratios, salinity and the list goes on.

Need all the info to hazard a proper guess.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

What kid of grow lights are you using?

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

2 or 4 foot veg light bar?

I am always interested in which units Kind users are buying. I own 7 Kind lights 3 of which are veg light bars. 🥳 😎
Sweet! Do you have any experience with led? I'm thinking of switching my larger tent over.

Also kinda off subject here but I'm going out of town for a few days and was wondering about my reservoir. The ph does fluctuate a bit day to day. If the ph goes out of optimum range for a couple days do you expect I'll see a negative effect on the plants?
2 or 4 foot veg light bar?

I am always interested in which units Kind users are buying. I own 7 Kind lights 3 of which are veg light bars. 🥳 😎
Those are sweet! I'm thinking of making the switch to led after this grow is completed.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Sweet! Do you have any experience with led? I'm thinking of switching my larger tent over.

Also kinda off subject here but I'm going out of town for a few days and was wondering about my reservoir. The ph does fluctuate a bit day to day. If the ph goes out of optimum range for a couple days do you expect I'll see a negative effect on the plants?

Those are sweet! I'm thinking of making the switch to led after this grow is completed.

yes, you will see a change. However it should quickly recover as soon as the ph is corrected. You can try and estimate the amount of drift and front load it, but generally i feel it is best just to leave it. If you overdo the front loading, you won't be there to notice and make the correction.

Remember the good and bad about hydro is that things happen quickly. Good and Bad

Happy Farming!! 😎 👍

Badchoice

Badchoice

How many days and what the PH flux points? If it’s just .1 to .2 your best choice might be before you leave get a stable 5.6 or 5.7 so by the time you return hopefully it’s still below 6.5. And I used LED, atm using a mars hydro ts600.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter

. . .

Yes, I grow under 5 KIND primary LED units. xl300, 450 & 600 along with those i use 3 KIND veg bar lights 1 @ 2ft the other 2 are 4ft. I have been more than happy with the yield and the build quality. Only one has gone back for repair in 3 years.

Happy Growing 😎

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Update
So after leaving my girls for 4 days unattended I was really nervous about what the ph fluctuations might do to the plants. I came home and my ph was 6.8 with no signs of stress except on the second set of leaves they have minor burnt tips but other than that look great.

20201130 082628
20201130 082624
20201130 082621
Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Nono I mean the final flush, once you get pass the bloom and ripen weeks the last thing you do is flush before cropping ya know the 24 hours of darkness blah blah blah all that fun stuff lol ignore flush cycles like what you see on like fox farm feed chart they say ever two weeks that’s a waste of time that’s been pointed out too me by @Aqua Man
Hey @Badchoice hope your Thanksgiving was great. Wondering about your flushing regiment. I have a handful of plants that are getting close. I've seen multiple posts about this subject and there seems to be heavily divided opinions on this.
Plants in question are in coco/perlite
1 of the 5 is ready, all cloudy trichomes with a couple amber.
Other opinions are very welcomed as well. I will put some pics up of trichomes tomorrow. @Aqua Man @AnselAdams @beluga

20201130 084059
20201130 084021
20201130 084028
20201130 092933
20201130 084110
20201130 092944
beluga

beluga

Hey @Badchoice hope your Thanksgiving was great. Wondering about your flushing regiment. I have a handful of plants that are getting close. I've seen multiple posts about this subject and there seems to be heavily divided opinions on this.
Plants in question are in coco/perlite
1 of the 5 is ready, all cloudy trichomes with a couple amber.
Other opinions are very welcomed as well. I will put some pics up of trichomes tomorrow. @Aqua Man @AnselAdams @beluga
Opinion on... flushing or ripeness?

Flushing... I'm on team flush. But, for me, just at the end... no more than a week before harvest. I think they need all the resources they can get up to the final point and it's only necessary to leech nutrients and stuff out at the very, very end. I do 24-48 hours plain water in hydro.
Wrote a little thing on it here.

Ripeness... definitely use the typical trichome/pistil retraction cues... but it's a feel thing at the end of the day. And, to me at least, preference. I probably like mine a little underripe than a lot of people... just like bananas. But I realize that means you're perhaps missing out on some of the finalizing... in terms of weight, terpenoids, cannabinoids, etc...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Soil and soiless we flush... hydro we do not. The reason being in soil and soiless we are trying to remove or reduce the amount of nutrient in the media. This is usually 7-10days because it takes time to lower this in a media based system. In hydro we simply do a change out and lower the ppm. I usually drop to about 400-600ppm 2nd or 3rd last week and increase my sulfur with mag sulfate at that point to 2g per gal. The last week 300-400ppm and the last 3-4day under 300ppm

Badchoice

Badchoice

Soil and soiless we flush... hydro we do not. The reason being in soil and soiless we are trying to remove or reduce the amount of nutrient in the media. This is usually 7-10days because it takes time to lower this in a media based system. In hydro we simply do a change out and lower the ppm. I usually drop to about 400-600ppm 2nd or 3rd last week and increase my sulfur with mag sulfate at that point to 2g per gal. The last week 300-400ppm and the last 3-4day under 300ppm
I personally thought in hydro a one or two day final flush with darkness and a flushing agent like sledgehammer or clearex is important for hydro to help remove any built up salts so the final product won’t have that chemical taste from the nutes and will help the bud have nice white burnt ash and etc and etc?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I personally thought in hydro a one or two day final flush with darkness and a flushing agent like sledgehammer or clearex is important for hydro to help remove any built up salts so the final product won’t have that chemical taste from the nutes and will help the bud have nice white burnt ash and etc and etc?
You can't remove nutrients (aleast not from the leaves and buds) from the plant. the dark period helps move the excess sugars and starches to the roots and exudes them into the media or water. There is simply no buildup of salt in hydro there is no media that binds it. When we change the water its like taking a plant and changing all of its soil.

Top Bottom