New to hydroponics, assistance needed

• Thread starter Lynch_Ironside
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
So within a couple of hours they have continued to droop... I added the now clean air stones back to the res and did a water change.
Silica added this time. I did see some clumps of slime on the roots... they still look bright white but wondering if this may be inhibiting o2 uptake. Your thoughts and reccomendations are welcomed and appreciated.
@Aqua Man @Milson @beluga @Badchoice @AnselAdams

Are you using Hydrozyme or other enzymes that help keep roots healthy by eating the slough-off 🍻 😎

update; oops saw in a later post that you are using AG.. my bad!

Last edited:
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I think you just don't want to prune the tops/terminal shoots of autoflowers.
Lower leaves that won't receive much light and/or might otherwise cause an issue should be fine.

To me, because of my scenario, lower leaves are just an invitation for mold and other infections.

Agreed; You are trapping warm, moist air near the base and giving the "bugs" a nice cozy home. After about week 3 they are useless and will never bud so you might as well get rid of them now that you have other leaves to collect photons.

🍻 😎

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Agreed; You are trapping warm, moist air near the base and giving the "bugs" a nice cozy home. After about week 3 they are useless and will never bud so you might as well get rid of them now that you have other leaves to collect photons.

🍻 😎
Well I put the fan on them making sure they had some wiggle and they seemed to perk up after removing the large air pump that was pushing to much heat, but this morning they look horrible. I'll get a pic soon.
@Aqua Man is there anyway this could be a lack of moisture? They have plenty of air circulating and seem to be getting worse, my rh is pretty low.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

There are some leaves that look damaged too.
The fan has been on them all night, I've got water literally dripping from the leaves. The one closest to the fan looks worse.

20201207 192358
20201207 192349
20201208 082932
20201208 082954
20201208 082944
20201208 082936
20201207 192343
beluga

beluga

Clip them lower leaves.
You still have a pocket of mostly-stagnant, moist air around the base of the stem preventing those leaves from transpiring.
Once you clip those lower ones, air will more easily be exchanged from all angles... especially the underside - where they transpire from.

You're, in effect, creating a humidity dome by having those leaves so close to (and now in contact with) the surface. Add the saturated hydroton, and I'm guessing your moisture content down there is such that water will not leave the plant's stomata - causing the droop... it's so over-saturated that it can't hold itself up anymore.

Last edited:
Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

If it is a transpiration issue shouldn't the one closest to the fan recuperate faster? More air flow more evaporation etc.

20201208 085411
20201208 085403
Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Also the hydroton is bone dry. I would think if the moisture escaping the res would naturally wet or dampen the media as it has to pass through and around it before it reaches the plant.

beluga

beluga

Ok... I reluctantly clipped some leaves.... found a couple that have some yellowish color near the veins
It always feels like mutilation, but it's usually for the best. Plants don't care too much about losing some old leaves, especially if they can't breathe with them. I assume they droop like that in nature to eventually cut off the supply and drop those leaves so the rest of it can thrive.
If it is a transpiration issue shouldn't the one closest to the fan recuperate faster? More air flow more evaporation etc.
I would think so, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they all perked up around the same time.
Also the hydroton is bone dry. I would think if the moisture escaping the res would naturally wet or dampen the media as it has to pass through and around it before it reaches the plant.
Hydroton will see a quick rate of evaporation and it'd be my assumption that, though the surface is dry, there is still a lot of water vapor coming up through the subsurface.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

It always feels like mutilation, but it's usually for the best. Plants don't care too much about losing some old leaves, especially if they can't breathe with them. I assume they droop like that in nature to eventually cut off the supply and drop those leaves so the rest of it can thrive.

I would think so, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they all perked up around the same time.

Hydroton will see a quick rate of evaporation and it'd be my assumption that, though the surface is dry, there is still a lot of water vapor coming up through the subsurface.
Alright beluga, that makes sense, thanks for the information. I guess it's a waiting game now. I'll check back on them in a bit and see if there is any improvement.
What did you think about the yellow color near the veins? Could it be the plant started to "shed" these ones?

beluga

beluga

Alright beluga, that makes sense, thanks for the information. I guess it's a waiting game now. I'll check back on them in a bit and see if there is any improvement.
What did you think about the yellow color near the veins? Could it be the plant started to "shed" these ones?
I assume so. At that level of saturation, I assume they are not able to pass nutrients through and they'll start developing deficiencies and/or other aberrations because of those obstructions.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just be careful not to wind burn them. Low RH will cause them to drink more but should be ok.... how low are we talking?

Good to see ya removed those leaves that were resting on the lids. That will greatly help airflow through the plant.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Just be careful not to wind burn them. Low RH will cause them to drink more but should be ok.... how low are we talking?

Good to see ya removed those leaves that were resting on the lids. That will greatly help airflow through the plant.
45 to 50 rh
The new growth on top seems to look ok. I'm worried I fried the roots yesterday with that large air pump. It was too restricted and pumped super hot air into the res for about an hour before i caught it. Being a pessimist person by nature I'm starting 2 more today in case these ones dont make it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

45 to 50 rh
The new growth on top seems to look ok. I'm worried I fried the roots yesterday with that large air pump. It was too restricted and pumped super hot air into the res for about an hour before i caught it. Being a pessimist person by nature I'm starting 2 more today in case these ones dont make it.
Have root pics?

Latest posts

Top Bottom