new to me tent

• Thread starter tat2edangel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

tat2edangel

I was just given' a 55x112x78 tent. I am looking for the instructions online. Well looking over the tent the only markings are a Green G with Green rays coming from it. No other markings or tags, nothing. I don' see this tent being to difficult but would still like to know what i have. This seam to be a mid to high end tent. I have seen a few and this one is VERY well put together. It is prob junk just cause i said that>

New to me tent
T

tat2edangel

OK so the tent is a Grow-Bright 55x98x78. It seams to be a mid/high end tent.

Retail in the Rockies about 250 to 275.

Full bottom with drop in soft pan also. This is a big tent! Five 6" round holes, One 3" and One 4" flap looks to be for cords, also 2 lower 6"x3' screened flaps. White enamel poles as would be expected and a top lattes I am not sure if I have put together right but seam to work anyway (that is what I needed the instructions for.). 2 doors on one long side, zip full open 1/4 of the tent. 2 doors on other side open 3/4 with the full flaps. The 2 large ones are bit heavy but shouldn't need to be opened (breakdown and major cleaning).

This is a new to me tent with only one problem a torn vertical zipper on the large doors. So for FREE I will not complain I will just say thank you.

This set up is a gift from someone that made a huge investment, grew crap, ran up a 1000.00 electrical bill. Thinking if you buy Jorges' book only read it on the shitter , spend I don't know how much $$$. Not turn it into a new hobby. Tending and caring for the crop. Just pour the most expensive nutes in what ever combo this week. No records, no time tables not even a nutes log.

So along with the tent came:
1000wHPS bulb 90 days on it,
Digital/Switchable ballast, Full enclosed hood with 6" duct in/outlets and tempered glass shield HARLEY-DAVIDSON STICKER INCLUDED,
6' 6" track and a Intelle-Trak 3.5,
600cfm 8" inline fan, I thinks this is a huge over kill but again it was FREE,
56" tall x 36" wide carbon can filter (empty i will need to find carbon and a
cover for it, Ideas please),
15' of 8" flex duct,
15' of 6" flex duct,
$100 AC from box store,
2 10" oscillating fans (cheep but good, I will bleach them
before taking into the tent),
2 Lasko tower fans, again box store but these are nice and I like the tower fan idea for space control.

I told the guy that I could have product buy new years with out the need for a second tent. I can buy a tray of cuttings and the minute I see roots the lights go out. All in BlackGold a dash of extra worm casting for the N and my own heavy bloom tea.

I have used this "Grow them fast and Keep them low on a cycle" many times in several small closets with both 4oow hps and Cfl before. This will be my first small/mid grow.

With the 1000w I have a bit of concerns that I haven't before.

Electric is a real expense now. Before I was able to put every thing in my house on a strip so I could recover all the wasted energy from electronics. This has always been a way to off set the expense of a small closet/cabinet. With the tent this off set is much less.

Safety, Security (this damn thing is huge in the middle of my room), Legal,........

If I knock it out of the park, I have a 4x5x6.5 tent w/600w mh and a full DWC 6 bucket system sitting on the floor where I picked all this up.

So I will be seeing you and thank you for your time. Tat2edAngel

T

tat2edangel

Tent is up

So the tent is up. Wasn't to bad. The track was a bit of a pain. Got it all hung with a 2x4 and 500lb webbing. Track is way low though. I lost over half of my over all height. This is a bit of a concern.

Way to big, but will work inline is hung from 6 small bungies. Hope to keep the noise down with the bungies. Still need to find carbon and out side filter for this giant can filter.

I dont know how the track will work with the inline so close and the flex duct haveing to travle with the track.

I will have high speed internet this weekend so i will be able to post pics. Any and all help is welcome and appreciated. Tat2edAngel

T

tat2edangel

OK somtimes I a, a bit slow so what the hell am I missing here.

Why is the track so low? I have lost over 50% of my over all growth height.

This cant be how it is supposed to work. I need to get it mounted right to the tent frame to get it higher, I think. And how the hell is this going to work with the flex duct. This big SOB is going to have to connect right to the top of the carbon can. But will that cause flow issues?

So tonight I sit down and pick genetics. My thought is instead of the SOG (ten plants per tray on a two week cycle. For many reasons (legal be one major one) a single plant in a 25 gallon felt bag. Two in at a time so i still have a cycle. Then only 8 LST'd plants at a time. I am why under my four licence limit. But still able to produce a healthy crop. I have hundreds of Lowryder #2 seed around so I will be able to fill in with these and still be under. I am leaning toward Big Bud (per production and eaz of grow but I do so love the old Stinky Pinky. And have recently found a new love in BubbleBerry.

Input welcome good and bad. Thanks Tat2edAngel.

IMG063
IMG066
IMG073
J

Jug of the Head

Nice set up bro! but I would recommend using a cooltube with a tent! esp with anything over 400 watts! They can turn into ovens! I think I can see air ducting to your light unit! connect it to your fan! while I remember it is always better for fans to push air through a system than to pull it! The warm air will shorten the life of the bearings and lead to nosier fan! I hope you do a grow diary for us to follow! Jugs

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I think that you should can the mover. Get another 1000 and just hang them normal. 2 hoods is normal for a tent that size. Then no problem with ducting, and more lumens = more bud. Light movers and ducting are a bad idea. Been down that road before. Best of luck with the project.

-TF

T

tat2edangel

Nice set up bro! but I would recommend using a cooltube with a tent! esp with anything over 400 watts! They can turn into ovens! I think I can see air ducting to your light unit! connect it to your fan! while I remember it is always better for fans to push air through a system than to pull it! The warm air will shorten the life of the bearings and lead to nosier fan! I hope you do a grow diary for us to follow! Jugs

Wish I could do the "COOLTUBE" Looks real nice, But we have to make what we have work today, and then upgrade tomorrow. My hood is fully in-closed and i have this giant inline to pull hot off the bulb. With this CO2 set up in the tent and the heat from the bulb going out. I think I will be ok on heat. So I will make do for now.

Again this was all free from a friend that tried to buy everything thinking that was the trick.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. It gave me some great ideas for the 2.0 and 1.0 will pay for it all. Tat2edangel

T

tat2edangel

I think that you should can the mover. Get another 1000 and just hang them normal. 2 hoods is normal for a tent that size. Then no problem with ducting, and more lumens = more bud. Light movers and ducting are a bad idea. Been down that road before. Best of luck with the project.

-TF

I hear what you are saying about the head aches and am starting to see what a extra bit of work working out just how much cable must hang, and how much ducting, is there going to be enough or is it going to compress to much creating to poor of flow at the very end of that side of the run. All these are problem solving 101 and part of the geeky funness of this hobby. Also with my very limited electrical. I have to make the most of the single bulb and a mover is the most efficient way to maximize a LST'd crop. Mover and LST lets you get that light right down on top of the girls. Going by the "Inverse Square Law" you get the max from what you got this way. IMO. Here are few pic showing the progression of the ducting. Need to get some more ducting for the far side, today.
Please any more help and ideas and criticizums. Thanks Tat2edangel

IMG083
IMG087
IMG097
IMG101
T

tat2edangel

OK so the ducting is run and the carbon filter is full had to reuse the outer filter. Maybe I can throw it in a bleach bucket? Filter can/cage was taken to car wash and power washed (there were hundreds of lady bugs in it). This thing is a heavy SOB when full. It will put it in the system tomorrow.

The hot bulb air will be on the inline fan and ducting to the carbon can and the tent will be sealed with three tower fans and CO2. Not sure if winter and open windows will be enough if i have to vent right into the room.

OR

I figure out a light box/Light block for the windows and do a intake at the west side and a out on the south. Light boxes are expensive to build RIGHT. Would love to be able to do it by the time the 4x4 tents shows up. would love ideas/build plans if anybody has some. These are a standard 78x34 double sliders with 6" inset.

Ideas please.

Untitled 2
Download
T

tat2edangel

Ok so here is the plan.

I will have to vent into the can in the room and leave all the windows open. For now!!! You can plan and plan but eventualy like every serial kill know that i just not enough. evenually you have to drop the hammer.

This design by Senior Cervantes is what I am leaning toward but I will have to do that as we go.

SoI am used to cooling a room not a light. I have always measured buy feet cubed and exchange total volume in 5 minutes. Now there is less then a meter of volume to exchange. That makes this huge fan even bigger and over kill.

But....

Here is what Jorge says "straight runs of ducting flow 95-99%, 30 deg turns/bends reduces 20%, 45 deg is 40% and WOW wait for it 90% is a loss of over 60%."

At full run of the track my ducting is straight and even a bit tight, intake ducting is at a 60% , but at close side of the run I have this giant double bend. I also have a 90% straight out of the fan and down into the can filter.

Now I am a bit medicated right now so I wont even try that. That kind of math will take a piece of paper and a big eraser to work out (maybe later, I am a bit of a geek for that shit) but anybody is welcome to show off (and please do) and work this one out.

IMG122
IMG097
IMG101
qupee

qupee

Here is what Jorge says "straight runs of ducting flow 95-99%, 30 deg turns/bends reduces 20%, 45 deg is 40% and WOW wait for it 90% is a loss of over 60%."

My experience is that it doesn't work out quite so dismally.

All the corners add to the resistance to the flow of air, and increase the static pressure of the system.

Fans will be able to flow less air in the face of more static pressure. But a centrifugal fan loses flow slowly and can handle a good amount of static pressure.

I have a 4" ~200cfm inline centrifugal, and I might need 2 hands to count the 90* bends. It pulls from one room, through a 90* and 12 feet of flexible duct, around another 90* into a fan, and then goes through 2 hoods requiring like 4 more 90's, and then into a return duct (one more 90).

If I used Jorge's math I'd be at some very low percentage of my unrestricted flow. In reality, it's maybe half. Obviously I'm guessing, but my point is those numbers are a bit misleading and you don't really lose that much (better to err on the side of too much flow tho).

Here's a little vid showing this ventilation setup.

[YOUTUBE]y224S8EaxFk[/YOUTUBE]

T

tat2edangel

Thank you very much that was awsome. I thought that I was over thinking this. I do love to over think every thing. I am sure even Jorge's math I have more then enough flow with this giant fan. When the second 4x5x6.5 600 HID vegging tent shows up I plan on doing the window boxes and connecting the fan to the box and running ducting from both tents to the outside.

Here is a question. If i running the fan on the lights only, and running co2 in the tents I don't need this big ass filter and if I do where does it fit into the system?

T

tat2edangel

Well it has been a long couple of days but here we are again.

2 Black Cherry
2 Master Kush
1 Chocolope
1 Kills a Watt

Already broke the back of one of the Master Kush. Small clones don't like it when you drop 30lbs bags of Fox Farm on them. Split a straw and made a splint (we will see). The second is big strong and ready.

The Kills a Watt looks to be a healthy rooted clone but it has no viable growth sites. I will let it go but every site is dead.

One Black Cherry is super strong healthy white roots and good pre-flower growth about 4" tall lots of growth sites and ready to kick ass. One Black Cherry is a total dwarf. I have no way of knowing if that is for real but this girl is on about 3" tall totally healthy LOTS of growth sites but no stretch at all. Just a midget with a widget.

Chocolope, cant wait to see this bad ass.

We have our starting clone genes. We have four solid strains (White Widow, Big Bud, Northern Light and Lemon Skunk from http://www.marijuana-seeds.nl) Ordered and on the way.

And I still have hundreds of Lowryder #2 from this spring outdoors. We can fill in with these seeds.

Given a SECOND COMPLETE TENT SYSTEM.

This is TOO MUCH!

Here sits another 1000w Switchable Ballest, Hortilux Plus w/less then 90 days on it, 8" Duct AC Hood and another 600cfm 8" HO inline fan, three 6 Gallon tubes of Advanced Nutrients "Part A" "Part B" "Liquid CarboLoad" and last but not least a DR150 Tent. I am totally in love with this tent. The draw string pass though are the best. I really dig them after all the work trying to line up the holes in the flanges on the big tent. S.O.A.B that was a drag. Totally lost my BUZZ.

THE PLAN FOR NOW.........

Trade/Sell the 2nd 1000w for a Multi 250/400w or a Single 600w
Trade/Sell all the nutrients for the last of the Nickle and Dime stuff

I am thinking a Multi 250 for the mothers. There is only going to be 2 to 4 mothers. So I dont want them to grow out of control. Again I am going to go
SLOW. The Smaller HID/HPS will give me the room to do a small clone rack Under CFL's

Tent 1 DR150 4.5 x 4.5 x 6.5:

18 hours for the HIDS but 24 for the CFL's
2-4 mothers in 15 Gallon "Smart Pots"
2 250w HID and CFL's

All organic soil (Subcool's "Super Soil" recipe to start with). Heavy on the worm castings(High N) and lime(Keep PH over longer time in pots). Since these are the mothers I will do a 50/50 Fox Farm and Roots Organic and only top dress with the "Super Soil" and foliage feed/wash/water with a very mild organic vegging tea.

A small SS rack for cloning with 4' Flrs.
We do like H20 when it comes to cloning so we will go with trays with a small air stone in each tray, a Vitamin B booster and heat mats.

Would really like to trade/sell the 2nd HO Fan for the same thing only smaller but can always put it on a controller like the other one.

Tent 2 GrowBright 4 x 9 x 6.5:

12 Hours Light
1000w HPS (Hortilux Plus) on a light mover
8" AC Hood
600 cfm HO inline fan

C02 on a timer (working on a controller for 2.0)

Now here my be one of the only places I would have to disagree with Senior Jorge Cervantes.

He say C02 is really only beneficial in the "Heavy Vegging" and then the flowering "Stretch" but is a waste of gas in the "Heavy Budding". I wish I understood the logic behind this more. I know C02 guys and they swear by it in heavy budding. Any Ideas?

Again all organic.

10 Gallon "Smart Pots"
3/4 Base (50/50 Fox Farms and Roots Organic)
1/4 "Super Soil" (we will start here and work our way up)

Top dress with more "Super Soil" when need be.

All water will come from a 30 barrel that will be aerated, left out to evaporate chlorine, PH balanced and temp controlled. But I will be hand watering.

So let me know what you think all comments welcome. Good and Bad.

Thanks Angel

J

jkahndb0

No matter how long you leave your water out for the chlorine/chloramine to evaporate, it wont. Unless you add a conditioner to break the chloramine bond.

T

theTinker

No matter how long you leave your water out for the chlorine/chloramine to evaporate, it wont. Unless you add a conditioner to break the chloramine bond.

It won't evaporate the chlormine bond but it will evap the chlorine. We can only do what we can i guess.
I hear there is plenty of aquarium sold products that will do it, they are safe BUT they are way overpriced. I believe its a packaging thing like nutes, but a small bit of research should lead you to whatever substance you need quite a bit cheaper. Good luck!

I've read all the numbers on reducing air flow with bends etc. They do seem horrible bad losses on paper, and yet i have a 6inch fan running 4 90degree bends, THEN into 2*4inch ducts that change into 2* 2"by4" inch square ducts and vent out. and it STILL cools 3*600w. I lose alot of air im sure, but Its no where near the crazy estimates i hear. The exhuasts on the outside of my home still vent alot of moving air.

T

tat2edangel

It won't evaporate the chlormine bond but it will evap the chlorine. We can only do what we can i guess.
Thank you JK for the information. It is appreciated.

As Tinker has stated no to the chlorimine bond but yes to the chlorine. The already freed chlorine molecule is what the sit out time is for. The process of bond breakage and the ammonia left overs that now have to be delt with
is just further then I am willing to go.

I don't pretend to know much but I do now that the creator doesn't go as far as to break the moleculer bond of water before watering the planet. JOKES. In organics as far as I have read so far this bond is broken with bactira, risomes, fungi and the process if decomposition. So by letting your water "Air Out" you allow the most concentrated chlorine atoms evaporate, and process of time and organics will do the rest.

This idea of use needing to be so technical that we need to break molecular bond is the exact reason I am returning to what has work for all of time. Fined the best spot on the whole planet (dirt, air, light) and recreate it on a micro scale to grow the tastiest Ganja. No it is not production line fast but after fifteen years of doing SMALL CLOSETS VERY SUCCESSFULLY AND MANY MANY BUCKET IS THE WIDE OPEN.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
that black duct tape you have will not hold - you need to get "real" duct tape - ie: the shiny metallic stuff

also its not gonna make much sense to use co2 if your just sucking it back out of the tent

take whatever cervantes says with a grain of salt hes more of a pot star then a grower

I have found that elevated levels of co2 (1100-1300) are most effective from day 21 flower to about 45 - 50 for 60-70 day strains

T

tat2edangel

Thank you Motherlode!

The black tape is "Gorilla Tape" Not the cheap black duct tape. If this is still the tape you fell is unsatisfactory please let me know.

I have been growing on a very small scale for many years and have had many of Cervantes' books, but on the scale I have been there is little use other then the basics of Good Soil, Good Air, Good Light. I have not had much use for the more technical/advanced side of Jorge's teaching ie....hydro, C02, large light heat, electrical and overgrowth. So this is my first circus I am staying away from hydro but the rest is all there.

I am able to get on a consistent basis a 24-26 gram clone out of "LowRyder #2 and several MYSTERY SEED (12/12 from seed)" under only 250hps and 250CFL's, TONS OF FANS and Power Soil. I am able to show all my friends how to do the same. I believe and hope that I am ready to to step up A LITTLE.

The flower tent has air cooled light it will be drawing no air from inside the tent. The seams will all be taped up to prevent as much of gas loss as possible. The hood glass door will be taped and the all the unused portals in the tent also. Gas tubing will be attached to the four tower fans in each corner of the tent. Regulator/Solenoid will be on a timer and I will be using Jorges' math for the timer (at least it is a working starting point). I have several timers all digital and a few that are power strip with infinite setting. I believe this is my best bet as far as C02 in timers I will be moving up to a controller ASAP. g

With out plants in the tent air temp is:

88 deg no blower no fans
82 deg no blower w/fans
78 deg blower and fans drawing from tent
76 deg blower on light only fans in tent blower vented to the outside
*** 76 deg blower into carbon can - windows open - but rather fast the room went into the 80's and tent held a high of 82 deg***

Now what does all this mean to me? Well after taking a month reading all I could about C02 enrichment. I have taken the avarege temps from every body and the magic number is 82 Deg. Again this is starting point and we will adjust as we learn. Jorges C02 math is also a good starting point. Being what looks to be an average of all the numbers (with the curve breakers thrown out).

Please everybody let me know what you think. This scale is totaly new to me and I have alot of.....................

So please and thank you for ALL info, help, critisizums. They are all for the the growth of KNOWLEDGE.

Peace Angel.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
yeah I thought it might be gorilla - it will hold maybe a bit longer then real foil duct tape - I tried using gorilla in a pinch once and it didnt seem to last more then a few months if I remember right

Top Bottom