New to vacuum chamber purge......

• Thread starter Irishguy83
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Irishguy83

Irishguy83

Ok so I've done a run before but I did a double boil to purge in warm water..... well I've gotten serious about my medicine due to getting off pain pills so I've got the grow down great harvest and all..... so I got a small set up ablaze 1.5 quart chamber and some small vacuum pump they paired together @ Amazon..... I'm lost I've read everywhere and searched YouTube.... but I think since this is the forum I used from start to finish with my grow, I figure come here for the help I need since it's a great group @Aqua Man ....... need someone to help a little with explaining the process and all.... links that explain in detail would be great.... also for under the vacuum chamber would a vivosun seedling mat that has digital thermostat that only goes to 120f.... would that work for the degassing? Just figured 2 birds 1 stone.... since I'm going to start a new girl soon but got to choose strain...... thanks in advice guys....

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Ok so I've done a run before but I did a double boil to purge in warm water..... well I've gotten serious about my medicine due to getting off pain pills so I've got the grow down great harvest and all..... so I got a small set up ablaze 1.5 quart chamber and some small vacuum pump they paired together @ Amazon..... I'm lost I've read everywhere and searched YouTube.... but I think since this is the forum I used from start to finish with my grow, I figure come here for the help I need since it's a great group @Aqua Man ....... need someone to help a little with explaining the process and all.... links that explain in detail would be great.... also for under the vacuum chamber would a vivosun seedling mat that has digital thermostat that only goes to 120f.... would that work for the degassing? Just figured 2 birds 1 stone.... since I'm going to start a new girl soon but got to choose strain...... thanks in advice guys....

Hello Irishguy;

Welcome back to the Farm!

i use a BVV chamber and a 3cfm vac. The Ablaze appears to be a good product although i have never personally used it. It did make my final 3 listing when i was trying to decide which to buy. I will be happy to provide what ever information i have gained, based on my last 3 years of use.

do yourself a favor and buy a quality mat and controller. BVV has several different sizes (Best Value Vac is sold on Amazon, as well as their own site). I would suggest taping the mat to the bottom of the vac chamber (the mat comes with adhesive). Ensure a clean level surface on the outside bottom of your chamber, not inside (yes i have seen some do it that way). Your chamber should have a reasonably thick bottom to evenly distribute the heat.

As for your controller you won't need to go much above 115, the most important feature is the ability to maintain a constant temp.

https://www.amazon.com/BestValueVac...qid=1580009497&sprefix=bvv+vac,aps,186&sr=8-4

This is the vacuum pump i have used for almost 3 years now --> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CO9GX6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The process itself is pretty easy. Put the product in the oven on silicon mat in the center of the oven. Set the controller for to about 105 and draw to a full vac. Do this slowly, very, very slowly. As you increase the vac on the first draw you are going to get a "muffin" that is the active process of the solution being boiled out of the product solution. As time goes on the bubbles get fewer and fewer (hours). After about 12 hours you flip the pattie and repeat the pressure and time. The second time the muffin will not be nearly as big, but it should still bubble. Once it slows down you can increase the temp to about 110F and let it sit in full vac for 6-8 hours, flip and repeat. By then it should be reasonably stable and consumable. The question from this point is what is your desired end product. Oil, taffy, butter, shatter?

🍻

Irishguy83

Irishguy83

I'm wanting to make butter or badder not edible you get what I mean..... I took pictures of the products I bought..... and how do you flip the product without messing it up?
Screenshot 20200125 201336 Amazon Shopping
Screenshot 20200125 201320 Amazon Shopping

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I'm wanting to make butter or badder not edible you get what I mean..... I took pictures of the products I bought..... and how do you flip the product without messing it up?View attachment 933997View attachment 933998

Those will work just fine.

as for the flip... get yourself a package of these. -->https://www.amazon.com/PTFE-Zero-Tr...r_1_8?keywords=4x4+ptfe&qid=1580014323&sr=8-8

put one sheet on top of the silicone, pour or spatula your product on to the paper and proceed as directed. When ready to flip. Place a new sheet on top of the puddle while it is still warm. Without flipping place on a cool surface like a chill block or just a cool steel or stone counter for a minute or two (long enough to the temp to drop on the bottom. Then turn it over and quickly (before it warms up and becomes sticky again) remove what is now the top piece. flip complete, no fuss no muss.

This works because the warm oil is sticky so the paper sticks to both pieces of paper. Cool one side and it should stiffen up just long enough to remove the paper without sticking to it. I find the frozen piece of stone i use as a cold block after pressing works very, very well.

🍻

20200125 225102
Irishguy83

Irishguy83

Would parchment work since I have a big roll of that and I can cut as many 5×5 squares or whatever I need because that's basically all it is right?

Irishguy83

Irishguy83

Ok so I feel dumb for asking this but must be the right question...... do I blast into the vacuum chamber? Or do I do a warm water purge first?

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Ok so I feel dumb for asking this but must be the right question...... do I blast into the vacuum chamber? Or do I do a warm water purge first?

No Sir! Please do not do that.

So if i remember correctly you are open blasting. Do so into your pyrex dish sitting in warm water. when that has been evaporated to the point that there is no visible liquid left. Scrape the glass with a razor blade or spatula and place on the paper, to be placed on the silicon, then place that on the bottom, in the center of your oven.

🍻

Irishguy83

Irishguy83

No Sir! Please do not do that.

So if i remember correctly you are open blasting. Do so into your pyrex dish sitting in warm water. when that has been evaporated to the point that there is no visible liquid left. Scrape the glass with a razor blade or spatula and place on the paper, to be placed on the silicon, then place that on the bottom, in the center of your oven.

🍻
Thanks so much @AnselAdams

Irishguy83

Irishguy83

Ok so just doing a check up here.... what I have here is the titan 8×8 silicone dish which is what I planned on blasting into, small tube for 1/2oz runs, then that's just a scrapper...... this set up will work right..... I'm blasted before the question is blasting into the silicone dish makes for alot easier collection right and the temperature will work the same as if it were a pyrex 8×8 right? My wife snagged the brand new one lol
20200128 182537

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Ok so just doing a check up here.... what I have here is the titan 8×8 silicone dish which is what I planned on blasting into, small tube for 1/2oz runs, then that's just a scrapper...... this set up will work right..... I'm blasted before the question is blasting into the silicone dish makes for alot easier collection right and the temperature will work the same as if it were a pyrex 8×8 right? My wife snagged the brand new one lolView attachment 935080

Yes that should work. However, I believe you will find that it is hard to scrape the oil off of the silicone with a razor blade. I would try and if it becomes a major PIA, switch to a 6x6 pyrex dish that can be easily scraped without damage if you happen to let it dry too much. Of course you are focused on butter/taffy so a simple cold stone underneath the silicone while you scrape should help greatly. For a cold stone I use a 6x6 piece of granite left-over from our counter installation and i keep stored in the freeze drawer. 🍻 😎

Irishguy83

Irishguy83

Yes that should work. However, I believe you will find that it is hard to scrape the oil off of the silicone with a razor blade. I would try and if it becomes a major PIA, switch to a 6x6 pyrex dish that can be easily scraped without damage if you happen to let it dry too much. Of course you are focused on butter/taffy so a simple cold stone underneath the silicone while you scrape should help greatly. For a cold stone I use a 6x6 piece of granite left-over from our counter installation and i keep stored in the freeze drawer. 🍻 😎
Now say I want to make shatter as well since I'm getting those transparent 4×4" things.... how can I make shatter with the vacuum and can I make it look all nice and beautiful because you could see through it ?

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Now say I want to make shatter as well since I'm getting those transparent 4×4" things.... how can I make shatter with the vacuum and can I make it look all nice and beautiful because you could see through it ?

Now THAT part is going to take a lot of work! 🍻 🤗

I am going to say yes it can be done. However I started with open blasting and scared the shit out of myself and my wife. I them move to closed-loop. That was expensive but much safer than open blasting but the end product was awesome. However it was still a HUGE bomb (3.5 lbs of propane per run). So this thing called the Source Turbo distiller came out so now i am headed down that path (see link in signature). It seems to be much, much safer even though i am using highly flammable methanol/alcohol it is self contained and does not create an explosion/fire hazard and the reported yields are just as good; and the entry price is much, much lower so is the equipment for repeat runs.

shatter has to be super-clean, I filter down to 2.5 microns. It also has to have ALL of the fats & lipids removed (can't be done during open blasting, have to winterize instead). It also takes longer to vac because you have to flip multiple times over a couple of days. I have heard of folks getting stable shatter (solid & stiff at room temp) with less time but they don't share how.

Join that thread to see what we have going on over there. The same principals apply once you have your oil on silicon. See you there 🤞

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Now THAT part is going to take a lot of work! 🍻 🤗

I am going to say yes it can be done. However I started with open blasting and scared the shit out of myself and my wife. I them move to closed-loop. That was expensive but much safer than open blasting but the end product was awesome. However it was still a HUGE bomb (3.5 lbs of propane per run). So this thing called the Source Turbo distiller came out so now i am headed down that path (see link in signature). It seems to be much, much safer even though i am using highly flammable methanol/alcohol it is self contained and does not create an explosion/fire hazard and the reported yields are just as good; and the entry price is much, much lower so is the equipment for repeat runs.

shatter has to be super-clean, I filter down to 2.5 microns. It also has to have ALL of the fats & lipids removed (can't be done during open blasting, have to winterize instead). It also takes longer to vac because you have to flip multiple times over a couple of days. I have heard of folks getting stable shatter (solid & stiff at room temp) with less time but they don't share how.

Join that thread to see what we have going on over there. The same principals apply once you have your oil on silicon. See you there 🤞

Sorry, I just realized that the thread i mentioned was not in my signature. It is now, but here it is anyway. Source Turbo tinctures-oils & shatter (methanol/alcohol extraction) | THCFarmer - Cannabis Cultivation Network 🍻

Irishguy83

Irishguy83

Sorry I havent been on I had an emergency inspection of my place so I had 12hours to break down my whole outfit and then my county says if i made concentrates it's a felony here so i returned that stuff for now except for the open blast tubeband the 8×8 silicone.... I'm waiting to start tonight my blasting tube holds 1/4 to 1/2 oz.... then I'll put inside a bath of hot water..... so I can blast openly into an 8×8 and put it in another pyrex that bigger to purge off the bho..... how can I finish the bho wax from the 8×8 and there are no bubbles left at all where do I go from there to finish? Plz help

DylanCA710

DylanCA710

Most of what I read is totally fine for the set up you are using. Just a couple slight adjustments, keep the heat pad at 100 degrees Fahrenheit or about 37 Celsius. You want the heat as low as possible to preserve the cannabinoids and terpenes. The other thing is to make sure you get the chamber and product up to temperature BEFORE you start the vaccum. Good luck!

P

PurePressure210

Hello Irishguy;

Welcome back to the Farm!

i use a BVV chamber and a 3cfm vac. The Ablaze appears to be a good product although i have never personally used it. It did make my final 3 listing when i was trying to decide which to buy. I will be happy to provide what ever information i have gained, based on my last 3 years of use.

do yourself a favor and buy a quality mat and controller. BVV has several different sizes (Best Value Vac is sold on Amazon, as well as their own site). I would suggest taping the mat to the bottom of the vac chamber (the mat comes with adhesive). Ensure a clean level surface on the outside bottom of your chamber, not inside (yes i have seen some do it that way). Your chamber should have a reasonably thick bottom to evenly distribute the heat.

As for your controller you won't need to go much above 115, the most important feature is the ability to maintain a constant temp.

https://www.amazon.com/BestValueVac...qid=1580009497&sprefix=bvv+vac,aps,186&sr=8-4

This is the vacuum pump i have used for almost 3 years now --> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CO9GX6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The process itself is pretty easy. Put the product in the oven on silicon mat in the center of the oven. Set the controller for to about 105 and draw to a full vac. Do this slowly, very, very slowly. As you increase the vac on the first draw you are going to get a "muffin" that is the active process of the solution being boiled out of the product solution. As time goes on the bubbles get fewer and fewer (hours). After about 12 hours you flip the pattie and repeat the pressure and time. The second time the muffin will not be nearly as big, but it should still bubble. Once it slows down you can increase the temp to about 110F and let it sit in full vac for 6-8 hours, flip and repeat. By then it should be reasonably stable and consumable. The question from this point is what is your desired end product. Oil, taffy, butter, shatter?

🍻

View attachment 933996
When purging is my pump supposed to be on the whole time..

Top Bottom