New user & 1st time grower

• Thread starter stifler
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

stifler

Hi people nice site here with lots of nice info etc.

Im a new grower but a long time smoker of THE herb and i just feel the prices and lengths you now need to go to to get the good stuff is not worth it in my area so i decided to hook myself up and save the time and effort of dealing with unsavories.

I aquired 2 'blue cheese' or 'blueberry cheese' plants from a friend and i just want to share my findings and get some advice from similar users.

To start my enclosure is an unused closet/airing cupboard & has just over half a metre square but is full room height (approx 8') it also has a vent connected to the roof tiles which as yet is not powered and ive covered for the time being. its been painted white and has sockets now ;-)

Im using general storage boxes with drainage holes cut in and they are approx 25-30l each (i have 2 and they fill the space perfectly)

I have 2 lamps which are 65w energy savers.
1x 6400k blue spectrum 65w veg
1x2700k red spectrum 65w flower
no special hood yet

I am using Canna coco and Canna coco feed A & B

So where i am at...

So far ive had the plants a couple of weeks and they are growing but i dont feel they are going as fast as they should be.
I got them because a friend messed up his hydro system and had to lose a tank as the plants had some kind of mould and needed rescuing and cutting back, which really they were too small to cut back so aggressively but they came back strong so i took a couple off him.
they were about 6" on their arrival and quite spindly and thin.
I potted them into coco (still in the rockwool cube) and watered them accordingly.
They have bushed out but not really grown much in height since their arrival.
I have taken a few fan leaves off a few days ago but that is all so far
The light (veg) was just above them (around 2" away) but this morning i took it up about 4" higher
On the plus side for an 8" high plant i feel the fact they were cut back before has made them have plenty of good main stems early which i hope to 'top' into more lol
advice on amounts of watering and light distance would help please as i know the guy i got them off has an aero system and a 400w sodium and his are way infront of mine now so am i doing something wrong or are those waterfarm things just alot better than hand feeding?
also 'super cropping' should i? when should it be done?

Thanks again, looking forward to your opinions

S

stifler

so after browsing the site i thought i should post some pics of what ive got.

IMAG0379
IMAG0380
IMAG0378
S

stifler

Also i have available tome some bits and fittings etc from some of those aquafarm/waterfarm things... should i be making my set up into a hydro job? with the auto watering etc would i be better off or would i be better as i am hand watering?

K

KushDad

Im fairly new at this aswell, but from what ive heard you want a deeper pot rather than a wider one. As far as topping or supercropping, If I were you I would just have a straight grow before getting too crazy with super cropping. Top one if u like, wouldnt be a big deal. Its good to get a feel for the process in general before experimenting so you know whats normal etc.

S

stifler

yea but im a fast learner so i want to experiment as much as pos this time so i know for next time.
as i said before im interested to know if my cfl is big enough, it its close enough and feeding info for plants the size of mine.

does anyone have a gauge/guide for cfl size to room size?
from reading on here im not sure if i should top, super crop, train or scrog.. do i want trees (i have lots of height) or would i get more with a scrog in the space i have 93"x24"x30"

half baked

half baked

nice idea with the tubs but they are see through, get some black tape and go crazy around those tubs, roots dont like light, id put at least a 400hps in there too bro, the problem you will get is light penetration otherwise imo, also in that space you shud prob start training to get a flat canopy of colas, you could also scrog them but tbh it isnt as easi as some of the farmers make it look lol, my boy supercharged has a journal goin atm called ?tent full of lil raskals? its in grow diaries, might be worth a nosy at, if you need any advise i'll be glad to help bro

peace hb

M

MaMasBuSH

looks nice my friend!
have you used any rhizo or any zymes?

S

stifler

nothing exept for the canna coco pair (no zymes etc) but after shopping around on here i feel im goin to be needing more light for sure.
think im goin to make me a couple of those deep water uc tubs for the next grow too so i can grow proper trees next time

M

MaMasBuSH

Coco is the ish!! Maybe try a little rhizo and sum cannazyme! The roots will love the rhizo! R u going to run w boost in flower and a little pk! Good luck
mamabush

S

stifler

yea i think ill be running the boost and deffo using pk13/14.

Guys i hate to sound like an idiot but does anyone have any info on what size light is for what size space to grow?
distance from light to plant for optimum growing from my 65w cfl?
really wanna know how to maximise the yeild from my space light wise.

S

stifler

ok so i now have a new lamp to veg with but im not sure how well suited to the job it is....
Its a sylvania 80w HSL mercury vapour with ballast etc... ive checked the specs and the 65w cfl i was running apparantly produces 4300 lumens and this mercury one 3800 lumens but..
when i check with my light meter i find about 200 lumens at the bottom of the plant with the cfl and around 500 with the mercury.
should i jus run both? or jus the mercury?
the cfl was working and my plants are bushing out but in like slow motion which is not good enough lol

Please advise guys as i cant seem to find info on here about mercury vapour

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I do not see a carbon filter in your room. If you are going to run Blue Cheese, either you have ball's the size of bowling ball's or have no clue how much the BC wil smell. I highly suggest you get yourself a Carbon filter ASAP!!!
The BC is one of the smelliest plants that will stink up a good size house. No way you can run it without anyone knowing if you do not have a way to get rid of the smell.
Although the BC is really nice! I love the smell after a long slow cure. Almost tastes like you are eating blueberry muffins with a hint of cheese afterward's.
The one pheno I grew out did double in size after the stretch in flower. I would start tying the plant over and flower soon.
Good luck and hope you get a good harvest.

B

Budders

Id take those lights and hang both of them in your garage...By the looks of the room a 400 watt light HPS/MH dual ballast would be well worth the investment...you can get them at any local grow shop or online...i like www.htgsupply.com

Pick up that carbon fliter/4 inch fan combo as well...I love my $20 fan controller, now that i have it i'd say its a must!

Heres a 400 watt kit for only 230.00

S

stifler

guys thanks... will do re the filter but as yet theyre only small so i feel im ok for a week yet.

hiboy

hiboy

I would definitley put them in pots, you got the height so give them roots room to dive down. Ace the tubs if you havent yet. Since your lacking major light line the room with some reflective material to help it shine up in there. A small fan to stir the air makes them girls happy to. I like the idea of a 400 mh in there for your veg and then a 400 hps for your flower. Buy a ballast that switches from mh to hps so you dont have to change it or spend the dough. Fresh air is key too. I would let them dry out a bit so them roots search for water if you havent, big mistake a new grower does is over water and over nute.
hiboy

H

hippie138

looks good! ^_^

so after browsing the site i thought i should post some pics of what ive got.

pretty good for a first timer! what made you chose the method you did (not to ask a dumb question) just curious......^_^

Latest posts

Top Bottom