New user help with ppms

• Thread starter LaughingBush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Yeah 2-3 weeks left I think. EC of aroun 1-1.2 for another week then take a look at them.
Today they look about the same, but it seems humidity picked up. Still the usual less-than-50% below the canopy, but was hitting 60% above the canopy today. I assume that means they are drinking more. I had not heard my high humidity alarm go off for a few weeks. Lots of runoff, as usual, and it's about 750 going in, 770 coming out. (Still just looking at the average of the four plants, but intending to get better data soon.)
Recapping the past few days, I turned the light power down a bit (haven't measured yet) but I was around 1000 PPFD at the main canopy level, and the leaves looked stressed there. But they looked good over in the 500 PPFD corners. After chasing high runoff EC for weeks, I mixed up a weak (.37-.47 EC) batch of nutes and swapped out H2O2 for Hygrozyme, then put about 15 gallons of that through my plants in a day. Next I mixed up another 10 gallons of mostly-normal nutes and put that into the reservoir, bringing up the EC there to 0.75. Runoff EC's initially went up, or stay high as the case may be, but certainly stayed much higher than the input for about 24 hours. Eventually, after about 15 gallons more watering, EC in=EC out. Overall, I assume I've lessened the stress on the plants.

I'm still seeing a fair amount of new pistils swelling the top buds. I wish I'd grown Sour Diesel before so as to know what to expect. They look very close to being ready, but they are also visibly fattening - and they were already fat. I clipped the damaged fan leaves on top, but the only yellowing I'm seeing is still on the uppermost leaves, even at the edge of the tent. I'm wondering also if this strain yellows from the top down more than the bottom up. I have a pretty thick amount of canopy, and the fan leaves down there all seem healthy and green. Or... the top yellowing is light burn, and they still have 2 weeks...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Today they look about the same, but it seems humidity picked up. Still the usual less-than-50% below the canopy, but was hitting 60% above the canopy today. I assume that means they are drinking more. I had not heard my high humidity alarm go off for a few weeks. Lots of runoff, as usual, and it's about 750 going in, 770 coming out. (Still just looking at the average of the four plants, but intending to get better data soon.)
Recapping the past few days, I turned the light power down a bit (haven't measured yet) but I was around 1000 PPFD at the main canopy level, and the leaves looked stressed there. But they looked good over in the 500 PPFD corners. After chasing high runoff EC for weeks, I mixed up a weak (.37-.47 EC) batch of nutes and swapped out H2O2 for Hygrozyme, then put about 15 gallons of that through my plants in a day. Next I mixed up another 10 gallons of mostly-normal nutes and put that into the reservoir, bringing up the EC there to 0.75. Runoff EC's initially went up, or stay high as the case may be, but certainly stayed much higher than the input for about 24 hours. Eventually, after about 15 gallons more watering, EC in=EC out. Overall, I assume I've lessened the stress on the plants.

I'm still seeing a fair amount of new pistils swelling the top buds. I wish I'd grown Sour Diesel before so as to know what to expect. They look very close to being ready, but they are also visibly fattening - and they were already fat. I clipped the damaged fan leaves on top, but the only yellowing I'm seeing is still on the uppermost leaves, even at the edge of the tent. I'm wondering also if this strain yellows from the top down more than the bottom up. I have a pretty thick amount of canopy, and the fan leaves down there all seem healthy and green. Or... the top yellowing is light burn, and they still have 2 weeks...
Ok if they are drinking more they are functioning better. Understand plant Symptoms due To nutrients, ph and uptake issues you are seeing are 4-7days old. Other like VPD, light and water are very quick to show and to correct unlike the previous.

I think you will see the plant toss out 1 or 2 new sets of white pistil’s yet but that’s just my gut. It’s not uncommon for some strains to start to strange up then toss out a bunch a new while pistils.

You did the right thing with the light and without co2 even with the 9 crucial areas dialed in it’s uncommon that you divan push beyond the 900ppfd mark and see any measurable gain and more likely a loss. 800-900 is the place you want to be when things are perfect without co2. remember it OVERALL photosynthesis that counts NOT the intensity alone. Meaning you will gain far more from not having damaged leaves and running lower ppfd than risk damage due to light stress.

I cant count how many times I seen a dude walk in with a garbage underrated LED and blow other new growers out of the water. This is because as the light supplied increases so do the demands on all other factors and when one is not meeting the requirements you get damage, stunting and slower growth than you get from way under lighting.

we all try to push so hard to di the best we actually manufacture our own failures

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Ok if they are drinking more they are functioning better. Understand plant Symptoms due To nutrients, ph and uptake issues you are seeing are 4-7days old. Other like VPD, light and water are very quick to show and to correct unlike the previous.
May have spoken too soon. The RH sensor was touching a bud. As soon as I moved it away, the RH went back to 53%. Also, EC in .77, out last feeding .87. However, I also measured a bucket of runoff at 0.77 and the reservoir at 0.77 earlier, so I ... dumped that bucket back into the tank. Anyway, my plan was to add some more nutes and gradually bring it back to 1.0, but I had a bathroom plumbing disaster that took the day.
I think you will see the plant toss out 1 or 2 new sets of white pistil’s yet but that’s just my gut. It’s not uncommon for some strains to start to strange up then toss out a bunch a new while pistils.
It seems like they want to grow more, just not at the very top. I'll keep a close eye on trichomes, but I'm hoping they make it another couple of weeks - this is where I think I'm seeing coco difference to soil in flower - the buds are bigger, fatter.
You did the right thing with the light and without co2 even with the 9 crucial areas dialed in it’s uncommon that you divan push beyond the 900ppfd mark and see any measurable gain and more likely a loss. 800-900 is the place you want to be when things are perfect without co2. remember it OVERALL photosynthesis that counts NOT the intensity alone. Meaning you will gain far more from not having damaged leaves and running lower ppfd than risk damage due to light stress.
I was trying to trade off the center for the edges. Either that or go buy the 2-foot extension for the tent and raise it again!
I cant count how many times I seen a dude walk in with a garbage underrated LED and blow other new growers out of the water. This is because as the light supplied increases so do the demands on all other factors and when one is not meeting the requirements you get damage, stunting and slower growth than you get from way under lighting.
Yes, still, I hoped it helped the 3/4 of each plant not right under the light. The back two plants seem to have done noticeably better than the front two. Biggest difference may be that they have lots of fan leaves I couldn't get to for defoliation. Or maybe they got more water?
we all try to push so hard to di the best we actually manufacture our own failures
But it's turned out to be fun at the same time. Just learning limits is all.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Today I find runoff EC is about .05 higher than input, at 0.82. Input is at 0.78. I've noticed a trend I don't understand. As the level in my 30 gallon reservoir gets low, somewhere around 10-12 gallons left, I often find pH drops from 6.0 to 5.9. It started at 5.9 when I mixed it a few days ago, and a capful of pH UP takes it to 6.0. Stable for a while, then drops a bit. I've seen it at 5.8 once or twice. This usually happens overnight.

Also, my EC keeps slowly rising in the reservoir, which I'm attributing to ... evaporation? Was 0.72 a couple of days ago, it is 0.78 now. And that is a typical rise over the space of 2-3 days. I do have both a bubbler and a stirring pump in my reservoir, and a very loose fitting plastic lid. (I could cut a notch in the lid for the wires and tubes to pass through if it helps anything.)

Plants look ... in that zone where you are wondering to cut them or not, if they are growing weaker in strength, or just putting on bud weight.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Today I find runoff EC is about .05 higher than input, at 0.82. Input is at 0.78. I've noticed a trend I don't understand. As the level in my 30 gallon reservoir gets low, somewhere around 10-12 gallons left, I often find pH drops from 6.0 to 5.9. It started at 5.9 when I mixed it a few days ago, and a capful of pH UP takes it to 6.0. Stable for a while, then drops a bit. I've seen it at 5.8 once or twice. This usually happens overnight.

Also, my EC keeps slowly rising in the reservoir, which I'm attributing to ... evaporation? Was 0.72 a couple of days ago, it is 0.78 now. And that is a typical rise over the space of 2-3 days. I do have both a bubbler and a stirring pump in my reservoir, and a very loose fitting plastic lid. (I could cut a notch in the lid for the wires and tubes to pass through if it helps anything.)

Plants look ... in that zone where you are wondering to cut them or not, if they are growing weaker in strength, or just putting on bud weight.
Yeah but in the grand scheme it’s all well within your needs and definitely not worth attemp to remedy

Observationist

Observationist

I’ll post 2 articles for you coco guys that I feel will help you both understand the principles of coco and how to water it depending on your specific grow setups. It will explain your rising ppm.
In my coco grow I ended up feeding 14x a day

Yup, those threads are mwua

thanks Aqua, my coco/aero hybrid drinks like a alcoholic

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Yeah but in the grand scheme it’s all well within your needs and definitely not worth attemp to remedy
It's more one of those 'Why is it doing that' questions one has during a grow.

Mixed up a new batch of nutes, EC 0.97 in the reservoir now. Buds look awesome and very sticky. Mostly just watching buds growing upward to merge with the ones above on the stem. Some of the fan leaves on top look like sugar leaves.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It's more one of those 'Why is it doing that' questions one has during a grow.

Mixed up a new batch of nutes, EC 0.97 in the reservoir now. Buds look awesome and very sticky. Mostly just watching buds growing upward to merge with the ones above on the stem. Some of the fan leaves on top look like sugar leaves.
Can be many reasons but I’d guess co2 equalibrium in a drain to waste that or chemical reaction

Latest posts

Top Bottom