New vertical sog flood & drain system!!!

• Thread starter vertigrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Do you like this Vertical sog system

• Yea pretty BA system!!!

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • Totaly lame system.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • hmm... it's ok.

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
V

vertigrow

damn it smells like that? thats whats up lol, yea i can shell out a few bucks for some stanky danky!!!

V

vertigrow

Looks good man, well thought out, I would like to see how it works for you.

thanks bro..... yea have been workin on this on and off for a while(soil was keepin me busy for awhile lol)

my first attempt was hydroton filled gutters, and that was not workin at all one side would just overflow because the water couldnt just flow freely down to the next level. so i have been workin out issues for going on 6 months now and finally looks like things are all functional. the grow might introduce new problems i'm not yet aware of, but most of the common issues have been covered. so stay tuned cuz when a problem arises that you may have dealt with your advise will be much appreciated!!!

devious d

devious d

Looking good bro, been growing uk cheese in sog style for yrs now, and thats basically a skunk no1 so should be fine, keep it up will be watching i like these space saving ideas good luck bro.

B

Bobby Smith

I Dont think lighting will be a problem in the slightest the bottom row is 20'' in length from the top less than 2ft....... I also should have been more specific on lighting there will be 3 different 19'' cool tubes runnin 600watts hanging vertically
6x6 tent
-------------------------------
| [ o o o o o o o o o o o o ] |
|
| 600w 600w 600w
|
--------------------------------
and the wasted space is mostly an illusion look down! the lil bit of space you see will be filled with vegetation. also this is for sea of green not huge plants vegging for 2-3 months

Bro, trust me - lighting is going to be a problem.

Assuming that the bottom row will be ~8" from the lights, that means the top two rows will be more than 24" from 600s in cooltubes - that's too far, trust me.

I understand it's a SOG, which is why I said you need to remove VIRTUALLY ALL space from in-between the rows.

Anyways, just so you know I'm not talking out of my ass, attached are pics of my 4 stacked 600s and my digital light meter (I've taken many, many measurements).

Regardless, I kind of feel like I'm trolling your thread at this point, so I'll stop with the suggestions - good luck with whatever you decide.

EDIT: if you don't believe me, check out sfzoo's thread on here - he had a problem with light to the back rows using 4 1Ks.

111810 009
92810 023
V

vertigrow

Bro, trust me - lighting is going to be a problem.

Assuming that the bottom row will be ~8" from the lights, that means the top two rows will be more than 24" from 600s in cooltubes - that's too far, trust me.

I understand it's a SOG, which is why I said you need to remove VIRTUALLY ALL space from in-between the rows.

Anyways, just so you know I'm not talking out of my ass, attached are pics of my 4 stacked 600s and my digital light meter (I've taken many, many measurements).

Regardless, I kind of feel like I'm trolling your thread at this point, so I'll stop with the suggestions - good luck with whatever you decide.

EDIT: if you don't believe me, check out sfzoo's thread on here - he had a problem with light to the back rows using 4 1Ks.

I respect your opinion but I already worked that issue out, that's why the blocks sit in at a 45degree angle ...... its hard from looking at the pics but every one will get to see soon enough.

and actually I had a nft setup with 4'' sewer pipe on that same exact stand and I had no light issues and the gaps in between the where way bigger I only am switching to the flood & drain system because of water and humidiy problems and I was getting sludge in my pipes from light....

but like i said I respect your opinion.....and the slight chance this dosent work(which I'm expecting to work better than the pvc pipe which worked pretty well if I might add) I welcome a big fat Told you sooo!!!

V

vertigrow

And bobby thats not how my light are setup I have not one but three cool tubes I dont need light below the last tier. if I had one 3ft cool tube with 3 bulbs like that picture for sure I would have light issues. And i gotta point out too that its more about how your lights are setup than where the plant happens to be. Light spread is the key. If i had 4 1k bulbs pointed straight down towards the ground I still wouldnt get enough lights to most of the tiers. It's not all about how many lumens you have coming out of your bulbs .......it's how many of those lumens are being used that matters, and thats not my opinion thats how mother nature set it up man. Think about it we can't match the sun but if something is blocking the light from a plant the plant's not gettin any of the lumens, but If I could physically move the sun where I wanted I could grow a plant in between the 2 tallest buildings in the world as long as I make sure I place the sun where its light gets to the plant. I dont know maybe everyone doesnt get light spread.

p.s. I would prefer using 3 600w'ers in a grow room than two 1000w'ers because of the greater light spread but thats my preference and I dont expect every grower to agree with me. thats why I joined a forum.
sorry I'm ranting on and on but I just smoked some killer killawatt!!!!!!

1luv

B

Bobby Smith

And bobby thats not how my light are setup I have not one but three cool tubes I dont need light below the last tier. if I had one 3ft cool tube with 3 bulbs like that picture for sure I would have light issues. And i gotta point out too that its more about how your lights are setup than where the plant happens to be. Light spread is the key. If i had 4 1k bulbs pointed straight down towards the ground I still wouldnt get enough lights to most of the tiers. It's not all about how many lumens you have coming out of your bulbs .......it's how many of those lumens are being used that matters, and thats not my opinion thats how mother nature set it up man. Think about it we can't match the sun but if something is blocking the light from a plant the plant's not gettin any of the lumens, but If I could physically move the sun where I wanted I could grow a plant in between the 2 tallest buildings in the world as long as I make sure I place the sun where its light gets to the plant. I dont know maybe everyone doesnt get light spread.

p.s. I would prefer using 3 600w'ers in a grow room than two 1000w'ers because of the greater light spread but thats my preference and I dont expect every grower to agree with me. thats why I joined a forum.

1luv

Bro, that's an 8' cooltube with 4 600s in it.

The fact that your lights are going to be split further apart than mine is going to mean your lighting is going to be more towards point source light than mine, which is closer to line source light.

Anyhow, I'd fully recommend you reading the entire thread linked here:

He uses 4 1Ks and has problem with light reaching the back rows.

V

vertigrow

Bro, that's an 8' cooltube with 4 600s in it.

The fact that your lights are going to be split further apart than mine is going to mean your lighting is going to be more towards point source light than mine, which is closer to line source light.

Anyhow, I'd fully recommend you reading the entire thread linked here:

He uses 4 1Ks and has problem with light reaching the back rows.

mannnn.... from top to bottom his set up was over four feet dude!!! mine is like half that they are both stadium setups man but thats about it in comparison especially in the size department!!!

B

Bobby Smith

Let me know if you want my opinion - it'll be kind of lengthy and won't be what you want to hear, I fear, but I'll gladly give it (if you'd like).

EDIT: not a problem, man - best of luck to you and I hope I'm wrong and your system works great.

V

vertigrow

Let me know if you want my opinion - it'll be kind of lengthy and won't be what you want to hear, I fear, but I'll gladly give it (if you'd like).

well man our grow is starting probably around the same time so I guess we'll just have to see i'm doing 96 plants man sooooo...... time will tell, but do you really think the 2 are comparable tho? honestly? cuz if you think it is I can see how much weight your opinion really holds

A

Albert

well man our grow is starting probably around the same time so I guess we'll just have to see i'm doing 96 plants man sooooo...... time will tell, but do you really think the 2 are comparable tho? honestly? cuz if you think it is I can see how much weight your opinion really holds

only the design somewhat...i see trouble in the other growers setup, the saucers on top of wood boards , kinda limits his watering . Hassles with wastewater.

yours is nice, pvc stand?( time will tell) Are you going to leave the carpet in the grow area?

call me old school, but Skunk#1...fast,stable,trusty,stanky dank .. get yourself mad odor control , you WILL need it.

good luck, looking forward for this one

V

vertigrow

only the design somewhat...i see trouble in the other growers setup, the saucers on top of wood boards , kinda limits his watering . Hassles with wastewater.

yours is nice, pvc stand?( time will tell) Are you going to leave the carpet in the grow area?

call me old school, but Skunk#1...fast,stable,trusty,stanky dank .. get yourself mad odor control , you WILL need it.

good luck, looking forward for this one

thanks dude naw thats just the floor where i build lol...
I have a 6.5x6.5 grow tent get on it:

S

sfzoo

design is the same, the dimensions are all different.
the saucers on top of wood boards presented no problems for me(also, my room was almost an exact clone of NortherFarmers stadium, so i take no credit). I do hand water, soon to be on a drip manifold. No hassles with waste water. NEVER had runoff. none.

cool setup you've built so far. i'm a big fan of DIY projects.
hopefully we can get the same schedule and can compare the two.

as bobby has said, it is clear that the furthest shelf will get less light, this is indisputable. however, your angles might compensate for that fact. I've made some adjustments to my shelving; i'm overlapping them slightly to get the girls closer to the bulbs.

cool thing about your rack is it looks mobile. if its not, might be a nifty idea to get the plants closer/further away easily.

anyhow, good luck farmer!!:hi:

V

vertigrow

design is the same, the dimensions are all different.
the saucers on top of wood boards presented no problems for me(also, my room was almost an exact clone of NortherFarmers stadium, so i take no credit). I do hand water, soon to be on a drip manifold. No hassles with waste water. NEVER had runoff. none.

cool setup you've built so far. i'm a big fan of DIY projects.
hopefully we can get the same schedule and can compare the two.

as bobby has said, it is clear that the furthest shelf will get less light, this is indisputable. however, your angles might compensate for that fact. I've made some adjustments to my shelving; i'm overlapping them slightly to get the girls closer to the bulbs.

cool thing about your rack is it looks mobile. if its not, might be a nifty idea to get the plants closer/further away easily.

anyhow, good luck farmer!!:hi:

thanks sfzoo..... I like the set up you run too..... 4.5-5 lbs
thats pretty sick man!!! yea we should be able to fix any issues we come across between the both of us, and yea the unit is completely mobile, just disconnect the hoses and go.....thanks for the kind words keep up the good work dawg!!! and yea we should compare that would probably help us both. peace

V

vertigrow

1) Decided to fill in the gaps and do 14 on each row

2) need 58 more 4x4 cubes should be in by tomorrow.

man i make a mess when i work!

Scrunch
One more peice
S

sfzoo

what's your plans for veg? how long, how tall? topping, lst?

Jeezer

Jeezer

1luv

I understand exactly what your talking about, and i agree, i have tried explaining this concept to people but its too much detail to explain.

and btw, great looking set up man, i think its gonna do great.

sub'd

Top Bottom