Newbie Flushing Inquiry

• Thread starter Robert Gray
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Robert Gray

hey guys, pretty new to the growing scene. Do quite a bit of research to understand that there is no right and wrong way to flush. However I would love to hear some opinions. I'm about 6 days from my original harvest date, so I'm getting close. Checking trichomes daily etc. I've been watering 3.5 gallons EVERY night, for for the last 8 days or so, heading to total the last 2 weeks. Is 3.5 Gallons enough for 15 gallon pot drain to waste soil set up??

I bought florakleen and plan on using it. When is the best time to use it? How many times do you use it? At what times are you using it?

Also -- I'm running emerald harvest full line + sugar daddy, EH's schedule in the last week of flush has a VERY small feed in there. Is this just to not send the plant into a withdrawal type deal? I've always read/heard not to do any chemicals during flush.

Appreciate anyone's time that replies with honest knowledge and opinions on helping me continue to better myself as a grower.

hiboy

hiboy

U can flush every day till pull with lots of runoff
Some don't water 2 days before pull to get the water out of the stems and speed up drying process
Hb

R

Robert Gray

Yes. I follow a schedule a friend of mine does, and he grows some extremely top shelf stuff. One of his keys he says is watering every day the last 2 weeks of the cycle. With a few half dose feeds week 1, and quarter dose of just NPK and honey chome week 2. Not a good idea? Overkill?

R

Robert Gray

I'm thinking continue this schedule until a few days before pull, and then florakleen? Then maybe the last day water? I've seen a lot about leaving lights off for a few days before pull, or shortening the lights on time to enhance an autumn effect....any truth to this or opinions on it?

S

Snoopdog6502

Flushing with a lot of water is OK but just drowns the plant unless drainage is spot on.
Rather then flush per say I stop fertilizing at the peak of flower, give nothing but water from there on out.
A big plant sucking down lots of water every day will eat the soil clean for the most part and burn The nutes right up in its last couple weeks.
If the plants dont have some yellow leaves at the end its over fertilized.
I do soil outdoors only so its impossible to flush the earth 100% so minimal feeding is the way to go.
Indoors its all hydro, the big plants will suck up all the water so fast they will have almost plain water in the reservoir in no time.

R

Robert Gray

I'm seeing that I have 2 right now, that are 6 days from 9 weeks. (8 week flower strains) that are 80:20 cloudy to amber trichomes, 70ish percent of the hairs have changed from white to orange. According to my studies I'm seeing that I'm near the peak of my buds potency for what I'm personally looking for. Yet very few signs of yellowing or ripening, so you're saying it's over fertilized, meaning that I've fed too much in the cycle? Or as of recent?

I might add, this was checking leaves, I've just read that I should be directly on the bud. So I'm guessing maybe I'm not as far as I'm thinking I am?

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Yes. I follow a schedule a friend of mine does, and he grows some extremely top shelf stuff. One of his keys he says is watering every day the last 2 weeks of the cycle. With a few half dose feeds week 1, and quarter dose of just NPK and honey chome week 2. Not a good idea? Overkill?

Hmm "to cross the same river there may be many paths " everyone has there own method :) if your friend is has done everything he is telling you to do then I'm sure it works however with that being said I do not believe in watering every day unless your talking about a drip tip type situation. The plant can only absorb and pull so much water in at a time. By cutting off nutrients at the right time and only feeding straight water he plant will clean its self out just fine that is my method =)

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

I'm thinking continue this schedule until a few days before pull, and then florakleen? Then maybe the last day water? I've seen a lot about leaving lights off for a few days before pull, or shortening the lights on time to enhance an autumn effect....any truth to this or opinions on it?

Yes my friend do what you feel is right as miss Frizzle said on the magic school bus get messy and make mistakes lol no better way to learn the trial and error. I have heard of this as well but i do not turn the lights off I don't think a few days of lights off is enough to trick the plant into thinking what isn't happening. My 2 cents may not b worth a penny :)

R

Robert Gray

Right on, so as far as emerald harvest showing an extremely small feed during flush probably isn't a good idea? So when you flush ganja, you cut nutrients, how long before harvest would you say? And you just water as the soil gets light and dry until you pick? Do you use any type of cleansing solution?

R

Robert Gray

Everyone's 2 cents is worth a dollar to me. I've done an extreme amount of research, but sometimes trial and error is the only way to learn. Just because you can read a blue print doesn't mean you can physically build a house. All input is extremely appreciated as this is my first year of doing any type of growing.

S

Snoopdog6502

Yea feeding a plant when in its last stages and starting flushing makes no sense at all, waste of plant food.
Daily drowning is not that great of a plan, happy roots need air, that why with hydro we get away with so much water is all the air we pump into it.

R

Robert Gray

So twice the volume of the pot during the whole time of flush? I've seen people say absurd ratios of water per gallon of soil. And seems ridiculous to think about putting 10gallons of water through the plant at one time. But im the one looking for info, so I can't put it past me.

R

Robert Gray

3ish gallons of water to a 15 gallon pot would be considered drowning every night? They are draining probably 50% of that in run off, I just figured it would be a nice cleanse of the roots nightly to get salts etc out before harvest. But now that you point out the roots breathing etc, that seems extremely important.

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Right on, so as far as emerald harvest showing an extremely small feed during flush probably isn't a good idea? So when you flush ganja, you cut nutrients, how long before harvest would you say? And you just water as the soil gets light and dry until you pick? Do you use any type of cleansing solution?

I wouldn't add anything during flush as that seems funny to me as the point of a flush is to clean all salts and nutrients out of medium. Depending on the plant strain is when I decide to cut nutrients I go by feel going by feel helps when uv grown that particular strain before lol but 6 1/2 to 7 weeks is a good time to cut nutrients as long as the plot bud development is good perahaps on a sativa strain you would want to cut at week 81/2-9 weeks. I water wen the plants soil gets light and dry yes or perhaps even a lil before. I use fox farms ocean forest soil and do not using any cleansing solution

R

Robert Gray

Right on. I'm using fox farm/pro mix 50:50 in a 15 gallon pot. The plants have shown no stress to the 3 gallon flush of water nightly, but as I'm gathering more info and really thinking about it. The last week I've done 2 half dose feeds, and they were probably just a waste of nutrients lol.

R

Robert Gray

Also--I would assume since my plants are showing signs trichomes wise of being close to done, yet still very little signs of ripening, would mean that I probably have a surplus of nutrients in the plants reservoir?

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Very good man if plants are showing no sign of stress then listen to them but you are prob fine by just letting them finish there remaining time just watering as needed to save you time

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Also--I would assume since my plants are showing signs trichomes wise of being close to done, yet still very little signs of ripening, would mean that I probably have a surplus of nutrients in the plants reservoir?

Means they are just not ready lol the tric's and bud aren't always on the same page

Top Bottom