Next Steps? A newbie whose anxiety is going up, not down!

• Thread starter bibsoconner
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bibsoconner

To bring you up to speed, I'm 2 for 9 getting seeds going. These are the two that made it (thus far). Cream & Cheese CBD 1:1 Feminised Seeds from Seedsman. You can search my previous thread, but the rest got "leggy" are fell over or never sprouted. These I put directly in direct rather than paper towels. What are then next steps? What do I need to look out for next? When to transplant? What are the lower versus upper leaves and do I need to prune? When can I clone?
Based on previous responses to threads (my own and others) I switched from growing just inside to putting them out during the day and supplementing with BLOOM PLUS LED Grow Light BP 1000W (which I'm told is really 90W??!!) for a total of 18 hours. I'm in southern california so temps of 60 - 75F outside.

Answers/references to any and all of the above questions would be much appreciated. I'm still trying to find that "magical" document that just clearly explains each step to a newbie.
Given that these are my only survivors, I'm heavily vested in seeing them make it!

Next steps  a newbie whose anxiety is going up not down
Z

Zill

Dear Bibs,

The survivors look good and sturdy.

The problem with your ask for a grow bible is that some of the practices are done to feel good not really based on actual results or performance. So there are hundreds of bibles at this point.

For instance, without a doubt transplant when you see roots popping out of the current container they are in. I don’t wait that long but it works.

Pruning, now your getting into what makes you feel good. But the guys growing indoor tents do need to lighten the canopy.

Upper and lower leaves, what’s your question?

You can probably make a cutting and propagate once the plant has put on some weight and can afford the loss.

Zill.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

To bring you up to speed, I'm 2 for 9 getting seeds going. These are the two that made it (thus far). Cream & Cheese CBD 1:1 Feminised Seeds from Seedsman. You can search my previous thread, but the rest got "leggy" are fell over or never sprouted. These I put directly in direct rather than paper towels. What are then next steps? What do I need to look out for next? When to transplant? What are the lower versus upper leaves and do I need to prune? When can I clone?
Based on previous responses to threads (my own and others) I switched from growing just inside to putting them out during the day and supplementing with BLOOM PLUS LED Grow Light BP 1000W (which I'm told is really 90W??!!) for a total of 18 hours. I'm in southern california so temps of 60 - 75F outside.

Answers/references to any and all of the above questions would be much appreciated. I'm still trying to find that "magical" document that just clearly explains each step to a newbie.
Given that these are my only survivors, I'm heavily vested in seeing them make it!
Skip the peat pots next time,the roots will grow into them and you will tear them when you transplant

Lockebox

Lockebox

They look good! I'd transplant and then ignore them..

I'd look out next for overall health, vigor, plant sadness and deficiencies starting.

What are you growing in? Feeding may be in your near future depending on what your media is.
If growing in a mixed soil like happy frog or ocean Forrest the transplant will buy you some time but I'd watch for yellowing and keep an eye on the cotyledons. Theyll turn yellow when the plant needs nutrients imo.

I do barely pruning. Not for any particular reason It just doesn't feel like my style.

From a beginner to a beginner, you got this 🤟

B

bibsoconner

Thank you very much everyone! I'd really like to see these babies make it to adulthood (not to mention smoke them!). The death of their siblings has been very traumatic. I had to buy extra bud from the dispensary just to calm myself down :)
To answer the questions... The plants are: Cream & Cheese CBD 1:1 Feminised Seeds. I had some Special Queen #1 Feminised Seeds and Seedsman White Widow Fem, but those didn't sprout or got leggy and died (hence my great anxiety). My other post goes into that.
The soil is FoxFarm Ocean Forest which the nursery recommended. I've added nothing else, and wasn't planning on doing so unless you guys tell me to do so. The nursery guy said something like 'for a beginner, just do the soil. Don't mess with additives or monitoring pH."
I thought the peat pots were a good idea but it seems like everyone else says otherwise. I thought I could just put the peat pots directly into another bigger pot and the roots would grow through. Is this not the case? Do I need to poke holes in peat pots or take plants out completely (dangerous trauma!).
I thought there was some trimming of leaves I had to do but maybe I'm thinking of flowering stage? Again, I really need a beginners manual for idiots. Please recommend stuff (hopefully free!). I want to be ready for next steps.
Finally, I'm doing something that might be very strange. I'm going for 18 hours of daylight, BUT some of that time ~10 hours is natural daylight outside (southern california) and ~8 is artificial light. I did this in a last ditch effort to save the leggy plants (didn't work) but the remaining plants seemed healthier and I got advice that "mother nature is best".

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Tearing roots isn't bad as long as the plant is healthy.. just so you know @Buzzzz it's natural but I do agree peat pots are no good I think it hinders growth.

They also get really, really soggy and start to fall apart after a certain amount of time. Quick lesson learned to never use them again unless they are going right into dirt :)

ninjadip

ninjadip

As far as a bible, this place is a great living bible.

Have you checked the resources here? Most are written, if not all, by users here that aren't trying to sell you anything but share their personal growing experience.
They have some stuff that might help explain some basics and even some advanced stuff.

Those little peat pots sure are cute, i've never seen anyone using them before.

As far as next steps...
You shouldn't have to do much to them now. One thing to consider soon is if you want to top or not. I do that early on, but doing it at all is up to your desired grow style.
Other options might be if you want to foliar feed or not. As for cloning, I do that when i need to trim, turn the snips into clones. Two birds, one stone. You have some time on that one, they can really be done any time, once the plant is more established. I do them in veg, but some make cuttings in flower. There are tons of clone how-to forums on here. I've had success with using just aloe solution, and another set using clone-X gel.

Topping/Fimming, pruning, diseases, cloning, and all of that are discussed in the link above.

B

bibsoconner

Thanks all! @ninjadip , I'll review learning center. Here's the latest photos. Notice the lower leaves are fading to dull green or yellow (I have trouble seeing colors but I can tell they are not bright green!). Is this a sign they need nutrients or within normal? If so, which nutrients? Can you recommend something that's easy to buy in a gardening store or Amazon?

IMG 2804
IMG 2805
ninjadip

ninjadip

Thanks all! @ninjadip , I'll review learning center. Here's the latest photos. Notice the lower leaves are fading to dull green or yellow (I have trouble seeing colors but I can tell they are not bright green!). Is this a sign they need nutrients or within normal? If so, which nutrients? Can you recommend something that's easy to buy in a gardening store or Amazon?
I'm not a soil guy, so i can't recommend anything from experience.

The drooping is also a concern. Not sure what to do. I'm still trying to learn how to read the plants

Is it too much water?
Sorry I can't help more, I really don't know

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I'm not a soil guy, so i can't recommend anything from experience.

The drooping is also a concern. Not sure what to do. I'm still trying to learn how to read the plants

Is it too much water?
Sorry I can't help more, I really don't know

Yep over watering. Which coincidentally can also induce symptoms that are similar to nutrient deficiencies.

AngeRBizcuTT480

AngeRBizcuTT480

Looks like you need to up pot n feed her but allow her to dry out more,I would also recommend adding 3 to 6 inches in distance to your light,allow the plant to recovery and begin seeking. You got this tho bro!!don't stress. I started out a noob with a few dying plants now I have 60 healthy plants and a system that allows for consecutive harvests as well as veg,clones and mothers I have documented it all from germ to harvest check out my thread it's long but very informative,they people at thcfarmer are well informed friendly and willing to help

B

bibsoconner

Still seeing faded leaves and now look droopy to me. I haven’t watered in day and a half. Soul feels dry to me. Ideas? Somebody mentioned feeding. Feed them what?
Thanks
P.S. new small guy is “white widow “. I had three seeds of white widow. This is the only one that’s made it this far

EEEA6100 53B7 4058 9FAA 069B4AE5E924
Madmax

Madmax

I basically up pot mine when the size of your baby plant growing in punnet bout the same size..

Lockebox

Lockebox

Still seeing faded leaves and now look droopy to me. I haven’t watered in day and a half. Soul feels dry to me. Ideas? Somebody mentioned feeding. Feed them what?
Thanks
P.S. new small guy is “white widow “. I had three seeds of white widow. This is the only one that’s made it this far
Electrolytes, it's what the plants crave.

Haha not really. Nutrients is my actual answer, whether it be organic amendments mixed Into your soil or bottled veg nutrients. Your plants will probably be getting pretty hungry pretty soon in their current state

AngeRBizcuTT480

AngeRBizcuTT480

You need to flush (to correct the excess N you spoke of yesterday)then up pot!! then feed (start at a low ppm and work your way up until plant is happy an healthy) do you have OH meter? Or ppm meter? A plant that size plant should have already been transplanted. Use a mild strength soil or cut hot soil with top soil or pro mix. Transplant the plant lower the light intensity,that plant is technically still a seedling so increased RH can be very beneficial 60% to 80%. There are many potential causes for your issues considering the current state of the plants. I recently gave you my recommendation outlining the best way to stabilize the entire plant in your situation. Once you have done everything you will need to continue to moniter the plant.Do you have a clone tank, indoor lights or a setup you can control the environment thru?

B

bibsoconner

@AngeRBizcuTT480 I'll transplant today (that's what you mean by "up pot" right?). The soil I have used and will use is FoxFarm Ocean Forest which the nursery recommended. I've added nothing else. I don't have a OH or ppm meter (not even sure what those are). I'm trying to be frugal. I was growing completely inside, but based on previous responses, I've been growing about 10 hours outside, 8 hours of artificial light. The light source is 10 inches from top of plants (I measured). I don't have a clone take. I simply have them under a workbench.
They are looking worse so I feel I have to do something or I'll lose them. Happy to add any nutrient if you can tell me exactly what to buy. I didn't mention excess N. What is excess N (nitrogen?) and how do I know I've got it? And what does flush mean?
Will post photos later. I'm getting message about "server error, try again later" when uploading photos.

AngeRBizcuTT480

AngeRBizcuTT480

@AngeRBizcuTT480 I'll transplant today (that's what you mean by "up pot" right?). The soil I have used and will use is FoxFarm Ocean Forest which the nursery recommended. I've added nothing else. I don't have a OH or ppm meter (not even sure what those are). I'm trying to be frugal. I was growing completely inside, but based on previous responses, I've been growing about 10 hours outside, 8 hours of artificial light. The light source is 10 inches from top of plants (I measured). I don't have a clone take. I simply have them under a workbench.
They are looking worse so I feel I have to do something or I'll lose them. Happy to add any nutrient if you can tell me exactly what to buy. I didn't mention excess N. What is excess N (nitrogen?) and how do I know I've got it? And what does flush mean?
Hey bro I thought you had spoke about excess N but I was just mistaken. Yes transplant and water do not feed if using ff. Transplant 2 bigger clones leave smallest how it is. Ph and ppm meters are very important Meters are cheap online. You need to use these tools to adjust the acidity of your water and feed and to measure how much feed you are using. For now just transplant n water observe for a day or 2 if condition continues to worsen feed with a light liquid fertilizer

AngeRBizcuTT480

AngeRBizcuTT480

Hey bro I thought you had spoke about excess N but I was just mistaken. Yes transplant and water do not feed if using ff. Transplant 2 bigger clones leave smallest how it is. Ph and ppm meters are very important Meters are cheap online. You need to use these tools to adjust the acidity of your water and feed and to measure how much feed you are using. For now just transplant n water observe for a day or 2 if condition continues to worsen feed with a light liquid fertilizer
Also order a cheap ph and ppm meter online and just start reading up on it. Ideal ph for cannabis in soil is 6.0 to 6.8 ph and ppm is dependant on the plant size and other factors u need to learn about

B

bibsoconner

Here's the pictures from last night. As you can see they are looking worse. And they are looking even worse today! I'll transplant today.
About the only other thing I notice is that they always seem worse after a session under artificial light. Do I have it too close? It's 10 inches from top of tallest plant to light.
I put various objects in picture so you can get a sense of scale. They are not normally there.
I hate to say it, but I think I'm going to lose these guys. Maybe I'm just not cut out for growing my own!

IMG 2813
IMG 2812
Top Bottom