Next Steps? A newbie whose anxiety is going up, not down!

• Thread starter bibsoconner
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

Zill

Bibs,
Any chance those roots are starved for oxygen? Anoxia. I haven’t read all the threads. If already discussed, sorry. Looks like water soaked tissue, frozen then thawed kind of thing.

Zill.

B

bibsoconner

I have transplanted. They look very sad and near death.
Any suggestions or start planning a funeral?

72A83688 4A51 4970 A766 FA211780F1FD
Z

Zill

Dear Bibs,

Sorry. It’s toe tag time for these.

I suppose it could be a damping off fungus. Usual causative agents are the fungi rhizoctonia and or pythium. Is there sad looking browner stem tissue near or at the soil line?

Zill.

B

bibsoconner

Dear Bibs,

Sorry. It’s toe tag time for these.

I suppose it could be a damping off fungus. Usual causative agents are the fungi rhizoctonia and or pythium. Is there sad looking browner stem tissue near or at the soil line?

Zill.
Nooooo. I'm going to have to smoke a bowl early today to deal with this grief! :) I didn't see anything in particular when I transplanted (brown or otherwise).
I guess to put a positive spin of this whole thing, I now have more respect for the whole cannabis industry and will be happier to plunk over my dollars at the dispensary. It's harder to grow than I thought. With a nickname like "weed", I thought it would be trivial. Any hope for this little guy? He's a white widow and was planted after his two brethren. He already looks sad. Perhaps the news of his siblings has got him down.

Thanks for the help Zill.

IMG 2836
TSD

TSD

Going back and forth from inside to out might have stressed them out being that small... they really need a stable environment as seedlings... I don't even start slowly introducing mine to the sun till they are more than a month old. They also look overwaterd, peat pots do not dry out well. 10 inches is also very close for an led on seedlings, though I'm not familiar with that exact light... you usually want to be at about 24 inches or more if it's a powerful light. Mine only get florescent light for like 2 weeks. Sounds like a combination of missteps.... chalk it up to a learning experience.

B

bibsoconner

Going back and forth from inside to out might have stressed them out being that small... they really need a stable environment as seedlings... I don't even start slowly introducing mine to the sun till they are more than a month old. They also look overwaterd, peat pots do not dry out well. 10 inches is also very close for an led on seedlings, though I'm not familiar with that exact light... you usually want to be at about 24 inches or more if it's a powerful light. Mine only get florescent light for like 2 weeks. Sounds like a combination of missteps.... chalk it up to a learning experience.
Thanks @TSD and thank everyone!
TSD, am I understanding you right about florescent light for 2 weeks? Do you mean just regular florescent light like you might have in your kitchen or garage? Or a special light?
The light source is BLOOM PLUS LED Grow Light BP 1000W 2x2ft Coverage Sunlike Full Spectrum Grow Light for Indoor Plants with 336packs Samsung Diodes(Includes IR) which upon reading the fine print on Amazon is 90 W, not 1000W. Not sure why they have 1000W in title.
As far as overwatering, I suspect you're right. It was done with love intended I assure you! :) How do I avoid that in future? Is that what OH meter is for? Or what do I need in terms of gadgets?
I also never found anything definitive with "here's when you know you need nutrients and here's the exact brand/amount to put in". Does anyone have a reference for that? I'm surmising you use a pH meter and adjust based on that but the details are unknown to me! Anyone have a reference for that?
I'll spend a week or so grieving and then plan next steps!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

The light source is BLOOM PLUS LED Grow Light BP 1000W 2x2ft Coverage Sunlike Full Spectrum Grow Light for Indoor Plants with 336packs Samsung Diodes(Includes IR) which upon reading the fine print on Amazon is 90 W, not 1000W. Not sure why they have 1000W in title.
As far as overwatering, I suspect you're right. It was done with love intended I assure you! :) How do I avoid that in future? Is that what OH meter is for? Or what do I need in terms of gadgets?

That listing is for a 1000w light, not a 1000 watt light. It's misleading and should be classified as false advertising. However, they get away with it because it's part of the model name and doesn't reference it's draw. What they want you to think is that your little 90 watt draw will produce the same amount of light that 1000 watts of old style light bulbs. It's BS and should be illegal.

I agree with @TSD and the others who have spoken of the watering practices. Cannabis should be thoroughly soaked to run-off in most soil grows ... and then allowed to dry back before watering again. Even after all the years I've been growing, I still use one of these moisture meters to verify if my plants need watering. It takes the guess-work out of the equation:

Reactions: TSD
B

bibsoconner

UPDATE. Christmas Miracle? Now what?

Hi, if you read my other posts you'll see I approached my first time growing experience with eager humility only to be devastated :) . The consensus was I made multiple mistakes (overwatering, plants too close (or too far?) from light, and probably other stuff). At some point, someone announced it's "toe tag time" for those guys and I suspect he was correct!
HOWEVER, as a last ditch effort, I listened to my wife who said something like "why don't you just throw them outside and let them fend for themselves? They are called 'weed' after all". So that is what I did about Nov. 1, 2022 and if you look at the most recent pictures, you'll see they are doing much better. The two bigger ones are Cream & Cheese CBD 1:1 Feminised Seeds from Seedsman. The small one is White Widow. I am in coastal southern California. The temps have not dropped below 50F. Of note, I have not been watering much at all. We had one big rainstorm (by California standards) that drenched them. We have another one coming tomorrow. If I remember, I use the water bottle you see in picture to mist them. I read somewhere that this increases local humidity. But basically, I've been trying to follow the advice of letting them completely dry out, and then really water them.
My questions...
1. Obviously, they are NOT getting 16 hours of light. It's December after all! How will this affect growth and flower stages? These are feminized but not "Auto". Will I ever get pot?
2. What stage are they in now? Growth or flower? Can you tell by pictures? Based on amount of light (<12 hours) I would think flower but I really have no idea.
2. Where do the buds form? In my closeup I show what I hope might be a bud.
3. Should I be doing anything else? Trim leaves? Put in ground instead of pots? Currently in 1 or 2 gallon pots.

All comments welcome - I'm completely new to this, and not very good!

IMG 2992
IMG 2994
IMG 2995
JerzeyMike

JerzeyMike

Bibs. They’re growing! I am a indoor/outdoor grower and been at it only a couple yrs. So feel free to back up any and all advice i give you. First I would pick either indoor or outdoor. Back and forth invites unwanted pests. If staying outdoor, and sun is less then 12, it will grow until its mature enough then flower. Which i doubt will produce much. If you go inside, i would suggest a small tent or closet. You’ll need an area you can somewhat control the environment. Fox farms has nutrients in it, and you should be ok for atleast a few weeks. I would keep in mind you will want to up pot again in a few weeks as well. I like big pots myself, but most use from a 3 gal and up. Good luck bro! Theres plenty of help around here, just ask.

Top Bottom