Next year I'm going to try regular seeds, now, when do I transplant them?

• Thread starter cpurola
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cpurola

cpurola

I've grown Autos and Fems the last 5 years, so next year I want to try regular seeds.
I know how to tell the males from the females but WHEN do you transplant the females into the garden?

cpurola

cpurola

I suppose I should clarify why I'm asking...
I've read that most of the root growth happens during veg cycle, and less during flower.
So, if I started the seeds in pots and held off transplanting into the garden until I know for sure if they are females, will they grow well?

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Depending on the climate and the weather, I would put plants out about two weeks before summer solstice.

cpurola

cpurola

In my experience, the problem with regulars is that they don’t show sex for a couple of months sometimes. So you may not know what they are till well into August. There’s ways of getting around it, but they are kind of complicated.
Thanks oldchucky, I'm just grasping at straws trying to find the strains/format that will work in my yard. This year was better than last and I'm hoping next year will be even better. Think I'll try a few regs. just for grins.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I’ve tried both. And I really haven’t seen any appreciable difference in yield and quality between regs and fems. The smartest thing I started doing was bending them! I’ll never grow another unbent plant! Were you happy with your harvest? Did you get the quality you were looking for?

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

In my experience, the problem with regulars is that they don’t show sex for a couple of months sometimes. So you may not know what they are till well into August. There’s ways of getting around it, but they are kind of complicated.
Yeah this year I took clones indoors and flowered them. And I had really only 1 male I didn't think was a male.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Yeah, that’s pretty much what you have to do to find out what you are playing with. Or plant three to a hole and hope one is a girl! I like we used to do it out in the bushes back in the 70s! Had to start 300 plants for 100 holes! L O L! some people will say you can light Depp then re-veg. But reveging takes a long time and can turn into a cluster fuck! The way you do it is the accepted norm nowadays.

cpurola

cpurola

I’ve tried both. And I really haven’t seen any appreciable difference in yield and quality between regs and fems. The smartest thing I started doing was bending them! I’ll never grow another unbent plant! Were you happy with your harvest? Did you get the quality you were looking for?
Yep, I'm planning on bending too, like you and Misterhelix.
I had a terrible time with the weather and bud rot took out the plants with hard buds. BUT, the 4 with soft buds (CBD/THC) finished pretty well.
The yellow leaf wilt, don't know if it's bacterial or fungus, was the worst and infected all my plants.
Next year I plan to spray regularly to avoid the wilt.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I think helix Scroggs them! But that works real well also! Anything to keep them manageable! Have to start adapting to that messed up climate of yours! L O L! Nothing wrong with trying both ways!

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Yeah, that’s pretty much what you have to do to find out what you are playing with. Or plant three to a hole and hope one is a girl! I like we used to do it out in the bushes back in the 70s! Had to start 300 plants for 100 holes! L O L! some people will say you can light Depp then re-veg. But reveging takes a long time and can turn into a cluster fuck! The way you do it is the accepted norm nowadays.
You know I heard that so many times that reveg takes a long time but I never found it to be massively true maybe I was just lucky back then or something or was doing something right who knows I just reveged a lot… might be rose tinted glasses 🤓 and I was just patient who knows

cpurola

cpurola

LOL, I had 4 reg. seeds from a friend and started them all in a 10 gallon fabric pot. 3 ended up male, so the girl had it all to herself. She didn't get very tall because I started her late, and I put her in the greenhouse when we had rain. Today I cut her down. She did not get the wilt or bud rot which made me think as a reg. maybe they're tougher than the others. Worth a try.

BTW, it smells to high heaven, hubby says it smells like skunk.

20231026 132517

20231026 132543

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Never had a problem with the stress! Growing both this year and they are still in the ground! But ready to go! Waiting for the full moon! L O L! A couple will go into November! I have screwed up enough by putting them out too early and have them start flowering and then leave them to reveg to know that I want to avoid it! Some people do it successfully! Not I! L O L!

cpurola

cpurola

Yeah this year I took clones indoors and flowered them. And I had really only 1 male I didn't think was a male.
So what was the time line from germinating til knowing the sex?
Just wondering if I do take clones to flower out when to start them if I plan to plant outside on June 1?

A

alpha.ganjaguy

I've grown Autos and Fems the last 5 years, so next year I want to try regular seeds.
I know how to tell the males from the females but WHEN do you transplant the females into the garden?
if you've grown fems it's the same deal, just you have to check for males.

Top Bottom