Nipples

• Thread starter Dusty Nuggz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I think, in fact I'm certain that the foxtailing was caused by the Triacontanol that I tried. The plant that had the foxtails was the same strain that I've grown for over 30 years, and this is the 1st time I have had foxtailing like this. I might see a nipple or two if I let them totally finish, but I'm sure the Tria was responsible for the issues. FWIW, the smell is much stronger and the buds are fatter. The proof will be forthcoming in the next few weeks.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
It’s my understanding that fox tailing can be good or bad, genetic or caused by heat/light stress.

The good: genetic; most commonly found in some Sativas from tropical regions. Which would make sense. They’ve adapted to their environment as fox tailing is usually a defense mechanism to help dissipate heat. Plants that genetically foxtail tend to have a higher THC content.

The bad: heat/light stress related. Fox tailing can occur from heat/light stress due to intensity, of which LED or HPS are the most susceptible. In this case, the calyces are focusing on spiral growth away from the normal structure, in an attempt to dissipate heat. This focus on stressed growth can have a negative affect on overall THC content.

Monitoring environmental temps, surface leaf temps, raising the light, or dimming the light can aid in alleviating these stressors if you’re starting to see signs of fox tailing and they’re in fact not genetic.
another point yet to mention as I agree with all you have said thus far. Well at least about heat control. Not sure where you are getting higher THC levels but thats another convo. The foxtailing is also a defense to allow more air flow not just for heat control but Rh control as well to combat bud rot.

Top Bottom