Nitro Toxic In Flower - Troubleshooting, Findings, Purple Voodoo

• Thread starter Fatty LIVES
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fatty LIVES

Fatty LIVES

Thought I'd open this thread for discussion since I'm having an issue with Nitro Toxicity (very mild). Had a problem in Veg to Flower and now in Flower. So I'm sure you're asking these questions:

Strain - Purple Voodoo
1. My water Temp is pretty good. I have no fungus buildup or algae. Running H2O2.
2. Fox Farm Tiger Bloom, Big Bloom, AN CarboLoad, Earth Juice Catalyst
3. PH has been good. Went low one day about 5 but mostly stays at or around 6 +-.2.
4. Tent Temp is 74-78 @ 42-51% humidity. Changes on its own throughout the day.
5. Week 4 Day 2 since flip.

So, I think I found why I got toxic. I got super sick the past week and let my res get really low. The PPM went up over 1000 (250 tap water, 750+ Nutrient) within a short span and I'm pretty sure that's what did it. If you're running hydro, DAILY top off's are 100% necessary if you're running a small res. I have an 18 gallon and maybe a gallon 1/2 up top. They drank a tremendous amount of water in 2 days and hurt my girls. Not all of them though, just 1 of em in a few spots and a couple small spots on the others. from what I could see, the tops of the leaves are dark and fade to normal. ya'll think I'm in the clear? could the carbs be coming to play at all?

Nitro toxic in flower   troubleshooting findings purple voodoo
Nitro toxic in flower   troubleshooting findings purple voodoo 2
Nitro toxic in flower   troubleshooting findings purple voodoo 3
Nitro toxic in flower   troubleshooting findings purple voodoo 4
Fatty LIVES

Fatty LIVES

Also.. would yall consider that good bud development? @Midwestjay , @Grow4me

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Thought I'd open this thread for discussion since I'm having an issue with Nitro Toxicity (very mild). Had a problem in Veg to Flower and now in Flower. So I'm sure you're asking these questions:

Strain - Purple Voodoo
1. My water Temp is pretty good. I have no fungus buildup or algae. Running H2O2.
2. Fox Farm Tiger Bloom, Big Bloom, AN CarboLoad, Earth Juice Catalyst
3. PH has been good. Went low one day about 5 but mostly stays at or around 6 +-.2.
4. Tent Temp is 74-78 @ 42-51% humidity. Changes on its own throughout the day.
5. Week 4 Day 2 since flip.

So, I think I found why I got toxic. I got super sick the past week and let my res get really low. The PPM went up over 1000 (250 tap water, 750+ Nutrient) within a short span and I'm pretty sure that's what did it. If you're running hydro, DAILY top off's are 100% necessary if you're running a small res. I have an 18 gallon and maybe a gallon 1/2 up top. They drank a tremendous amount of water in 2 days and hurt my girls. Not all of them though, just 1 of em in a few spots and a couple small spots on the others. from what I could see, the tops of the leaves are dark and fade to normal. ya'll think I'm in the clear? could the carbs be coming to play at all?
Looks like good development to me. And I never top off my res. I allow it to drink all the way down. When the plant is smaller just change every 7-10 days. As it's bigger, I just let her finish the bucket. If your ppm is spiking like that your ppm is to high to begin with. I'd lower her down and see how she acts. Like mine as we speak has lowered the ppm quite a bit close to 150 ppm. Some people like to top off but ime/imo they prefer that dry/wet cycle. If you get you ppm down and in check ph and everything balances out. And it's set it and forget it. I almost never have to adjust ph or anything.

All that being said you plant like pretty damn healthy. Just pull back on ppm a bit.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
RO water?
If so, I saw no mention of calmag suppliment.
If you use distilled or RO water calmag replaces some of the nutes the plants need to grow healthy.
If this is the case add 4 to 6 ml of calmag per gallon of water to your res and they should green right up.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

A lot of cal mag has nitrogen and other shit you don't need tho so pic the one you want. He said he's running tap. I run a mix of tap and ro. And with budcandy in flower I almost never have calcium or mg issues

Fatty LIVES

Fatty LIVES

Looks like good development to me. And I never top off my res. I allow it to drink all the way down. When the plant is smaller just change every 7-10 days. As it's bigger, I just let her finish the bucket. If your ppm is spiking like that your ppm is to high to begin with. I'd lower her down and see how she acts. Like mine as we speak has lowered the ppm quite a bit close to 150 ppm. Some people like to top off but ime/imo they prefer that dry/wet cycle. If you get you ppm down and in check ph and everything balances out. And it's set it and forget it. I almost never have to adjust ph or anything.

All that being said you plant like pretty damn healthy. Just pull back on ppm a bit.

Took your advice today and did a 1/2 flush with a replacement 200 ppm less... I must say they're looking pretty good! The nitro toxic is def in check now, hooooray! They're all perky and I see development since yesterday when I diluted in top off. I dropped out 1 of the nutrient solutions I was putting in. Keeping it super basic with some carbs and a little catalyst. Im going to finish this grow in H2O2. I was gonna do a switch to the bennies in HG, but The roots look amazing right now so Ima let that keep runnin'.

QUESTION: In flower, do you prune? I've read mixed thoughts on the process. I've been doing a little trimming. Mostly the bottom branches that aint producing but I keep it to 1 a day and haven't seen any stress.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I just pinch off everything at once when I water and everything is big enough to grab ahold of.

Fatty LIVES

Fatty LIVES

Also, on topping off.. I would man, but I tried a little change to their schedule and they did NOT like that, lol

Fatty LIVES

Fatty LIVES

I just pinch off everything at once when I water and everything is big enough to grab ahold of.
I'm not "grasping" your process hehe.. What is it you do? Sounds like you're snapping the plant in half, lol

Fatty LIVES

Fatty LIVES

RO water?
If so, I saw no mention of calmag suppliment.
If you use distilled or RO water calmag replaces some of the nutes the plants need to grow healthy.
If this is the case add 4 to 6 ml of calmag per gallon of water to your res and they should green right up.
Sorry, missed this 1. I use my tap. I haven't seen any cal/mag def. so I'm making that step easier on me, haha.

What is the difference with RO in your plants really? does it make them grow faster or? I was curious about that. never researched. I'll look into it.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I just grab ahold of the lower non producing bud sites with finger and thumb and pinch with my thumbnail to remove it, no need for scissors. It is actually better to do all the pruning at once, that way the plant isn't constantly using energy to repair those few bud sites that were trimmed per day. One day with lots of trimming will be all healed up within a week or so.

Fatty LIVES

Fatty LIVES

I like your advice buuuuuuuuuuuut.. I scurred.. maybe in another venture haha

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Took your advice today and did a 1/2 flush with a replacement 200 ppm less... I must say they're looking pretty good! The nitro toxic is def in check now, hooooray! They're all perky and I see development since yesterday when I diluted in top off. I dropped out 1 of the nutrient solutions I was putting in. Keeping it super basic with some carbs and a little catalyst. Im going to finish this grow in H2O2. I was gonna do a switch to the bennies in HG, but The roots look amazing right now so Ima let that keep runnin'.

QUESTION: In flower, do you prune? I've read mixed thoughts on the process. I've been doing a little trimming. Mostly the bottom branches that aint producing but I keep it to 1 a day and haven't seen any stress.
Yes I clean out the lower trash that is just being a parasite to the plant.
IMAG0577

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Sorry, missed this 1. I use my tap. I haven't seen any cal/mag def. so I'm making that step easier on me, haha.

What is the difference with RO in your plants really? does it make them grow faster or? I was curious about that. never researched. I'll look into it.
Ro is supposed to be free of disolved solids, disolved solids are what your tds meter reads and also has an effect on plant nutrient uptake. Most tap water is around 200ppm tds when you add nutrients to that it can take your ppm #s too high resulting in plant problems. Plus some of those disolved solids in the tap water can be anything from chromium 3 to birth control pills or antidepressants. Plants should always see a doctor before taking narcotic medications.

Fatty LIVES

Fatty LIVES

Ro is supposed to be free of disolved solids, disolved solids are what your tds meter reads and also has an effect on plant nutrient uptake. Most tap water is around 200ppm tds when you add nutrients to that it can take your ppm #s too high resulting in plant problems. Plus some of those disolved solids in the tap water can be anything from chromium 3 to birth control pills or antidepressants. Plants should always see a doctor before taking narcotic medications.

hahaha, I didn't think about the birth control n stuff. daaaaang... this really makes me wanna switch to RO. I must say though my plants are doing really well on the tap. If/when I do go RO, whats the % on Cal Mag to keep em happy?

Latest posts

Top Bottom