Nitrogen toxicity or something else?

• Thread starter Thunderstrut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thunderstrut

Thunderstrut

Ive tried reading through some posts and i cant really get a clear answer on this.

I just swapped to flower a couple days ago, and my otherwise healthy looking plant started curling the tips on 70% of the old growth. The new growth isnt showing the signs just yet, but it is a very light green with almost white in the middle.

To give some background on the plant, i flushed last week before transitioning because i finally was able to upgrade from miracle grow to a set of GH nuts with some cal/mag, bloom booster, raw up, silica, and humic acid. After the flush i gave it 5ml each of the GH, 2ml of cal/mag and bloom booster, and a very small amount of the raw up, silica, and humic acid powders(about an eighth of a tsp if i have to guess). I PH every time and water roughly once a week along with feed, still working on figuring out when and how much to feed and water, if i could get some advice on that too that would be awesome.

The clawing didnt start till after i watered the last time which was on the 15th. Im wondering if it could be something other than nitrogen toxicity considering i just flushed and id rather not throw in a few gallons of distilled and potentially shock the plant if i dont have to.

Very new to this, so if any more info is needed just let me know. The photos might be difficult to see since all i have to take them with is my phone haha. Might be able to make out the slightly clawing on some of the leaves.

Thanks in advance.

Nitrogen toxicity or something else 2
Nitrogen toxicity or something else

Thunderstrut

Thunderstrut

My bad, I thought it was later in the day, lights are still one. My webcam is better quality, but I wouldnt be able to take any pictures with that unfortunately.

Here are a few more and a video
20210518 143624

20210518 143613
20210518 143605
20210518 143554
Hopefully they are a bit easier to see. I wish I could do something about the yellow tint when trying to take pictures.

Last edited:
Thunderstrut

Thunderstrut

Look hungry,

I'd say partly a watering issue and to much light for thier health currently.
Its a hlg 288v2 with a 75w converter(?) sitting at 18in from canopy, should i raise that? I hate to ask for people to spell things out for me, but i truly dont know that much about watering and feeding. Is there a resource youd recommend that could go into detail about how much to feed and water?

Last edited:
Thunderstrut

Thunderstrut

I see deficiency. Multiple. Aerate the medium well and feed.
Could you elaborate on that? What other deficiencies are you spotting and how would you recommend aerating? Im a bit nervous of damaging roots. Pretty new to this so im still learning a lot even tho ive looked into quite a few articles and videos to spot different issues and whatnot.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Its a hlg 288v2 with a 75w converter(?) sitting at 18in from canopy, should i raise that? I hate to ask for people to spell things out for me, but i truly dont know that much about watering and feeding. Is there a resource youd recommend that could go into detail about how much to feed and water?
Use this app and set to about 30k lux for now. Also post up what lux they were at.

Thunderstrut

Thunderstrut

Also what the temp and humidity like during lights on?
Temp usually sits around 78, but its been a bit chilly at night so it has dipped to 66F(lights off). humidity is a bit more consistent at 50%.
The lights actually are off now, but i will check as soon as they come back on and post that tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Could you elaborate on that? What other deficiencies are you spotting and how would you recommend aerating? Im a bit nervous of damaging roots. Pretty new to this so im still learning a lot even tho ive looked into quite a few articles and videos to spot different issues and whatnot.
I was going by your first pics.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

That isn't really bad hooking, and since the new leaves aren't hooking, the problem is over for now. I would guess it was the Miracle Grow.

When you get leaf hooking from too much N, the leaves never unhook. When the problem is solved, the new leaves don't hook. Those young leaves would be hooking if there was still to much N, believe me.

Thunderstrut

Thunderstrut

That isn't really bad hooking, and since the new leaves aren't hooking, the problem is over for now. I would guess it was the Miracle Grow.

When you get leaf hooking from too much N, the leaves never unhook. When the problem is solved, the new leaves don't hook. Those young leaves would be hooking if there was still to much N, believe me.
Ok thats good then, i didnt know if new growth would show right off the bat or if it needed a bit before showing signs. So basically i just continue to feed according to the charts and test the ppm of runoff for any build up? I did just pick up a ppm meter as someone messaged me earlier saying how important it is. So yeah that wasnt being done before now lol.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok thats good then, i didnt know if new growth would show right off the bat or if it needed a bit before showing signs. So basically i just continue to feed according to the charts and test the ppm of runoff for any build up? I did just pick up a ppm meter as someone messaged me earlier saying how important it is. So yeah that wasnt being done before now lol.
Yeah what ppm are you feeding?

@mysticepipedon is bang on that they may have been overfeeding but not currently.

Thunderstrut

Thunderstrut

Yeah what ppm are you feeding?

@mysticepipedon is bang on that they may have been overfeeding but not currently.
The base ppm is 170 from the tap, ive been looking into just using distilled water to mix the nutrients into since i read that was a little hard for a base. Let me mix up a gallon and see what ive been working with total.

Mixed a gallon with 2.5ml of calmag, 7.5ml each of the GH, and 2.5ml of bloom and its sitting at 1180 ppm

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The base ppm is 170 from the tap, ive been looking into just using distilled water to mix the nutrients into since i read that was a little hard for a base. Let me mix up a gallon and see what ive been working with total.

Mixed a gallon with 2.5ml of calmag, 7.5ml each of the GH, and 2.5ml of bloom and its sitting at 1180 ppm
Ok can prob drop to about 800-900.

Tbh I think your issues are more light related.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I do have another question about the ppm, if the ppm is 170, would additional calmag even be necessary?
No cal mag will not be but add 1 gram per of epsom salt (mag sulfate) that will bring the calcium to magnesium into a better ratio. 170ppm is absolutely fine to use as a base. That could have been a part of the issue though with the cal mag.

Thunderstrut

Thunderstrut

Ok can prob drop to about 800-900.

Tbh I think your issues are more light related.
Hmm, interesting. I never really considered the light being an issue over than maybe it just not being enough. I was about to buy the grow light science grow 300 so i can throw more plants down. I also have a cannagrow 300w cob for my other two i just started, but im unsure of its true watt output. Just working with hand me downs at the moment.

I found out my phone is too old and cheap to use that app, but i can borrow my friends to check the lumens tomorrow. You thinking too high or too low?

Latest posts

Top Bottom