Noobie, any help would be gr8!

• Thread starter TotalJasper
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TotalJasper

TotalJasper

Hello, I am building my first tent for my plants and just wanted some insight from some experienced people. I've grown outdoors before years ago and inside of my old greenhouse but never set up a tent.

The tent I'm looking to purchase is...
It fits perfect for the space I have. The space I have is 3'x6'

The lights I am considering purchasing are...
https://www.amazon.com/FSGTEK-Spect...t+cob&qid=1593509901&sr=8-12&tag=thcfarmer-20

I really don't know anything about lighting because I haven't used artificial light before. I researched a little bit about lighting but haven't really found a good guide to lighting.

Any help on soil additives would be helpful too to configure ph levels and whatnot.

The soil I am currently using is Fox Farm Ocean Forest.

If anyone knows of any good noobie grow guides please link or just type out some advice. Thanks =p

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

Welcome to the Farm.
looks like you are on the right track. That light will definitely have enough light to power that space you are working with. At the 1500w you’ll have right around 140w / sqft.
(2.5*5)=12.5. 1500/ 12.5= 140

I personally do not use the fox farm line, but other speak very highly of it. That should be a good solid to get you started. Other sea shore products I have used have a tendency to not drain water well. You may want to add coco or perlight or something else to facilitate drainage.

again I dont use fox farm, it may not be needed with that soil.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Hi Jasper welcome to the farm hope you enjoy the site happy growing regards Od ... Cool name mate same as my eldest son . Have fun setting up your indoor grow .

pbangga

pbangga

Welcome to the farm. I use LED’s for veg and this tech has come a long way! I can’t fully vouch for them tho in flower at least on the entire flower cycle. I grow in tents currently but flower with 1000w hps in each tent both 4x4 and 3x3(which is kinda overkill here) and I have great results.
Some things more to consider tho are if you decide to go with LED long term they kinda need to be run alil higher so height will be a concern. Tents running LED tend to need to be run a bit warmer then a tent run with HID lighting as those lights give off a lot of heat,so for your plants you will need to keep in mind you may need to boost the temp upwards. Also I noticed under LED’s my plants didn’t drink nearly as much as under HID’s but the LED tents def ran more humid so keep an eye on that.
Regardless of what lighting you go with you will need proper air flow,air coming into the tent and air going out of the tent and also air moving in the tent. A 6” inline fan dumping the hot air out and a 4” inline fan bringing air in under the canopy is the move! And then get a clip on fan or 2 to move that air around the tent.

As far as nutrients go start light and go from there. Don’t know what route you decided as for medium but I’m running coco with perlite and canna nute’s(well plus a few other things) and the results are great!

Oa.ahhu

Oa.ahhu

Supporter
Get an ir thermometer and make sure your leaf surface temperature is in line! Led lights need roughly an 8-10f temp differential versus running hid light because most of them run quite a bit cooler. If you need more help just ask :)

Oa.ahhu

Oa.ahhu

Supporter
Get an ir thermometer and make sure your leaf surface temperature is in line! Led lights need roughly an 8-10f temp differential versus running hid light because most of them run quite a bit cooler. If you need more help just ask :)
I would run the tent for half a day with how you would like it with your lights to see the ambient temp before you start messing with anything!

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I never go to my grow room with out it . Best 30 bucks I spent .

TheKushie

TheKushie

Hello, I am building my first tent for my plants and just wanted some insight from some experienced people. I've grown outdoors before years ago and inside of my old greenhouse but never set up a tent.

The tent I'm looking to purchase is...
It fits perfect for the space I have. The space I have is 3'x6'

The lights I am considering purchasing are...
https://www.amazon.com/FSGTEK-Spect...t+cob&qid=1593509901&sr=8-12&tag=thcfarmer-20

I really don't know anything about lighting because I haven't used artificial light before. I researched a little bit about lighting but haven't really found a good guide to lighting.

Any help on soil additives would be helpful too to configure ph levels and whatnot.

The soil I am currently using is Fox Farm Ocean Forest.

If anyone knows of any good noobie grow guides please link or just type out some advice. Thanks =p

That's a pretty good set up I was looking at those the other day, tent and led lights. You should look at another led light with more fans on top for that 1500w and as for nutrients I'm using Green planet 3 part plus extra but you can buy their starter set up that includes every nutrients you'll need start to finish. Just buy multiples of them as the starter only come in 1 liters.

TheKushie

TheKushie

That's a pretty good set up I was looking at those the other day, tent and led lights. You should look at another led light with more fans on top for that 1500w and as for nutrients I'm using Green planet 3 part plus extra but you can buy their starter set up that includes every nutrients you'll need start to finish. Just buy multiples of them as the starter only come in 1 liters.

Spend a little bit more and go fanless with Samsung led

TotalJasper

TotalJasper

I just got the light in and plugged it in and it seems really bright but then I made a little makeshift box and put it on top and it doesn't seem like it will be enough light. Should I get another one or am I just being silly? >_< maybe with the reflective walls it might be brighter? I do also have a few reptilian lamps. Should I get good bulbs for them and use them during the flowering stage?

TheKushie

TheKushie

I just got the light in and plugged it in and it seems really bright but then I made a little makeshift box and put it on top and it doesn't seem like it will be enough light. Should I get another one or am I just being silly? >_< maybe with the reflective walls it might be brighter? I do also have a few reptilian lamps. Should I get good bulbs for them and use them during the flowering stage?
Fine print will let you know what the true watts of those. When buying those light you need to find one that replaces a HPS/MH and has real full spectrum with yellow/green par. If you're happy with what you got buy another for more lighting. But I'd go with fanless one

sambapati

sambapati

I never go to my grow room with out it . Best 30 bucks I spent .
One Drop, you need a holster for that thing so you can practice quick draw. What you are saying is that the leaf temperature needs to be monitored? What is the optimal leaf temperature? So many things I do not know but enjoy reading these posts and finding out. Running the tent for shakedown cruise before putting the plant inside is very sagacious advice....

sambapati

sambapati

Fine print will let you know what the true watts of those. When buying those light you need to find one that replaces a HPS/MH and has real full spectrum with yellow/green par. If you're happy with what you got buy another for more lighting. But I'd go with fanless one
Kushie my bud, you can certainly add LCD bulbs and other light sources in the tent. I have the Mars Hydro T600 with 3 more blurple lights and a long 100W CFL, a 4 watt red LED and several other LCDs. Most people complain about leaves turning yellow and falling off at the bottom, but if you distribute more light evenly it seems to make the plant happy. Probably the best advice I can give is keeping your lights 24" away from the top of the plant. Best of luck.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
One Drop, you need a holster for that thing so you can practice quick draw. What you are saying is that the leaf temperature needs to be monitored? What is the optimal leaf temperature? So many things I do not know but enjoy reading these posts and finding out. Running the tent for shakedown cruise before putting the plant inside is very sagacious advice....
Mine normally stay 21 deg C to 23 deg C lights on 16 to 19 lights off .

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I would also think about ventilation for the area, keep that in mind. There are some inexpensive ones that should do fine, I would look at your tent and see what size your vent holes are, and get the appropriate size.

TotalJasper

TotalJasper

Would this fix not having hps/mh light? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Horticultu...rowing-/121737912015?var=&hash=item61f5c61f60

Frankster how many fans should I get? My tent has drawstrings to wrap around the fans, if they are smaller than the hole I guess. There's 5 large fan vent holes but 2 of them are up against the wall. I can pull it out a bit. would 1 intake fan and 1 outtake fan be too little?

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

That’s generally standard. I use a 6 inch intake fan and a 3in exhaust.

Latest posts

Top Bottom