Northern Lights & Rain Chip Grow

• Thread starter chitownglass
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

chitownglass

Just germinated 3 Northern Lights Feminized seeds from Canuk seed company and a non feminized Rain Chip freebie i got from my brother. Successfuly germinated them in just 48 hours. Had good results with the paper towel in a baggie method. Decided to keep them on top of my cable receiver and the warmth helped a lot I think. Just finishing up my first indoor grow in the tent. I started them in the small closet space where the seedlings are going therefore I couldn't really go any bigger. This time around I'll be able to veg in the closet, then throw them into the tent when I want to flower. Im trying to get it set up so that I can veg a new batch while the others are flowering in the tent. Ideally I would be harvesting every 8 weeks if all goes as planned. Plants will be vegging under a 350 watt Enjoyield led light in Fox Farms Ocean Forest/perlite mix at a ratio of 80/20. Light is at set at 100 watts right now with an intensity of 200 par for right now. I will then be moving them into my 4x4 tent under a Nanolux 440 watt led light for flower. Will be using General Organics line of nutrients after about 4 weeks of veg time. I attached some pics of my setup. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Everyone!

Northern lights  rain chip grow
Northern lights  rain chip grow 2
Northern lights  rain chip grow 3
Northern lights  rain chip grow 4
Northern lights  rain chip grow 5
Northern lights  rain chip grow 6
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

They look amazing! Fast forward to 10 min.
If I had anything else to offer it would be this for future grows.
Should be 8 min 25 seconds.
I strip up 25%. Everything off. Above that I take off all little branches that won't get to light.
Then pinch off the buds leaving as many of the leaves leaves as I can. Leaves are light collectors! They feed the plant.

Last edited:
C

chitownglass

They look amazing! Fast forward to 10 min.
If I had anything else to offer it would be this for future grows.
Thanks! I watched the video and yea i agree. I let them go a little bit too much. Especially the plant in the middle. Im usually out of town for the weekend and busy as hell during the week, so keeping up with the trimming and training was a challenge. Definitely going to try and stay on top of it this next run a little better to maximize yield. Thanks for the input!

C

chitownglass

Should be 8 min 25 seconds.
I strip up 25%. Everything off. Above that I take off all little branches that won't get to light.
Then pinch off the buds leaving as many of the leaves leaves as I can. Leaves are light collectors! They feed the plant.
Plant on the left was just stripped as I was chopping her. Thats why its so bare in the picture.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Plant on the left was just stripped as I was chopping her. That's why its so bare in the picture.
Your plants really do look amazing!
I myself have always been a hard core defoliator and found this video informative. Just thought I'd share.

C

chitownglass

Quick update everyone. The last few weeks have been rough. I planted the NL and RC feminized seeds and headed out of town for the weekend. When I got back the seedlings had dried out completely and were dead. Im out of town every weekend. Therefore taking care of baby seedlings can be quite challenging as they are quite sensitive at this stage, and need a lot of attention. I'm in the process of getting everything down and making things more automated for all stages of growth. Anyhow, I went ahead and germinated some more beans I had laying around. I will be growing Sour Garlic Breathe and and an unknown strain I grew on my previous run that I really liked. Well just call it #2. A couple of my beans have just popped it looks like. I attached some pics of my previous harvest which turned out great imo. Especially considering it was my first indoor grow in ages.

Thanks

20231121 204747
20231113 191513
20231113 190604
20231124 115027
20231124 115051
20231124 122937
20231124 173032
C

chitownglass

Super impatient at this stage. Seedling stage takes too damn long! Lol! Im gonna give cloning a try this time around. Probably gonna go ahead and cut like five clones from two of the healthiest girls on this run. I've been wanting to learn and give cloning a shot sooner or later. I actually successfully rooted a few cuttings by just leaving them in a glass of water by my window this time around. I was curious to see whether it would work out. It took a long ass time but eventually I saw some roots. Nothing much happening here today. Just a few 🌱 started popping out. I went ahead and cleaned my tent and moved the seedlings into the tent. Its a lot easier to control the environment in there as opposed to the closet space.

20231126 082106
20231126 082216
20231126 082243
20231126 082250
20231126 082257
C

chitownglass

Just got home and I forgot to leave the heat on in my house for the weekend. Needless to say, we had the coldest day in a while here these last couple days. Just my luck. Lol It was pretty chill in my tent tho. Plants were alright.

20231127 133320
20231127 133314
20231127 133309
20231127 133329
C

chitownglass

I ended up germinating some more beans. I figured since these aren't feminized seeds ill grow them all in 1 gallon containers until I can sex them. I'll then get rid of all males, transplant the girls into bigger pots and run em scrog style till finish. I really wish I didn't kill my feminized seeds when I was out of town. Oh well. Its not that serious. Ill just have to roll with it and see what happens. I love how all my seedlings have their little shell helmet just chilling there btw. Lol

20231128 133044
20231128 133052
C

chitownglass

Chugging along slowly as usual in the beginning. These first 2-3 weeks are always a drag. Lol Oh well, just trust the process. The one seedling on the right came out a little weird looking. It had a hard time shedding its shell and I had to help it a little. I think it should pull through tho. I added a close up of a nug from my previous grow. #2 turned out terpalicious! Have a great weekend everyone!
Thanks

20231201 101902
20231201 101853
20231130 180535
C

chitownglass

Transplanted my seedlings a couple days ago. Thought I had enough soil left over to fill the bags but I was wrong. Should hold me off for another couple weeks before another transplant. The one seedling on the right just popped today. Almost a week behind all the others. Crazy. They should be picking up in another week or two.

20231206 144850
20231206 144859
20231206 144904
C

chitownglass

Moving along slowly just like every start from seed. Another week or two and they should really start taking off. Will be transplanting into 2 gallon bags in a week or two.Two weeks since sprouting on the biggest plant. The others are a couple days younger. I sprouted some extra beans since I usually get rid of any runts/weaker plants. So far only one of them looks kinda meh. That one sprout looked really weak since the day she sprouted so I will definitely be tossing it. Only the strong survive here! I wonder why it is struggling as all other sprouts seem okay. Just water and cal mag as of right now.

Thanks

20231211 141004
20231211 140918
20231211 140935
20231211 140927
C

chitownglass

We've got 2 Sour Garlic Bread on the left, and three unknown bagseeds that i grew before and were fire onthe right. I lost a couple seedlings to the fox farms soil. The three I planted directly into ffof instead of peat were burnt to a crisp due to hot soil. I guess I pretty much answered my question regarding ffof and seedlings. Wondering if I should top them or just keep lsting them. I don't like the idea of causing too much shock to the plant. Well see. I will be transplanting them into their final homes in about a couple weeks.

Thanks!

20231222 114013
20231222 113932
C

chitownglass

So the two sour garlic plants on the left are confirmed females which is great news! The other three im almost positive are females as well, will know for sure in a few weeks. Now its time to grow them out and fill out my space as best as possible before flipping the switch. I will be transplanting them into their final 2.5 gallon pots in a week or two. I like them to fill out their containers nicely before transplanting to make it easier. Thinking about breaking out the trellis maybe. Idk

Thanks

20231227 090305
20231227 090317
C

climbit

We've got 2 Sour Garlic Bread on the left, and three unknown bagseeds that i grew before and were fire onthe right. I lost a couple seedlings to the fox farms soil. The three I planted directly into ffof instead of peat were burnt to a crisp due to hot soil. I guess I pretty much answered my question regarding ffof and seedlings. Wondering if I should top them or just keep lsting them. I don't like the idea of causing too much shock to the plant. Well see. I will be transplanting them into their final homes in about a couple weeks.

Thanks!
I’m really curious. How did you conclude it was the ocean forest that led to the nutrient burn? Was it perhaps something else?

C

chitownglass

I’m really curious. How did you conclude it was the ocean forest that led to the nutrient burn? Was it perhaps something else?
I guess I can't be 100% sure that it was nute burn, however I feel pretty confident in my conclusion. I actually ran out of out of peat and used strictly FFOF for the three seedlings that didn't make it. All the seedlings that were started in an innate medium with no additional nutrients turned out fine. The three that were in the FFOF were fried to a crisp under the same living conditions. Therefore I concluded that it had to have something to do with the soil being too hot. I guess it's possible that it was something else, although I doubt it as they displayed signs of nutrients burn. Also, the three seedlings that didn't make it were the same strain which in my experience is very finicky and a pita to grow. I know this because I grew them previously with good results. I guess I can never be 100% sure.

20231215 133022
C

climbit

I guess I can't be 100% sure that it was nute burn, however I feel pretty confident in my conclusion. I actually ran out of out of peat and used strictly FFOF for the three seedlings that didn't make it. All the seedlings that were started in an innate medium with no additional nutrients turned out fine. The three that were in the FFOF were fried to a crisp under the same living conditions. Therefore I concluded that it had to have something to do with the soil being too hot. I guess it's possible that it was something else, although I doubt it as they displayed signs of nutrients burn. Also, the three seedlings that didn't make it were the same strain which in my experience is very finicky and a pita to grow. I know this because I grew them previously with good results. I guess I can never be 100% sure.
I’m at qualms with this conclusion. I find it hard to believe just the ocean forest, un-amended mind you, led to the nutrient burn. You also stated that strain was particularly troublesome to cultivate. Can you take a closer picture of those three. From what I can see the “burn” you mentioned looks to be on the older leaves, not the new ones coming in. But pic is too far so I can’t confirm. Perhaps you had em too close to the light?

Or the water droplets on the leaves could have intensified the light thus burning the plant. I’m still a new grower so I’m mostly using intuition and speculation. But trouble shooting problems are super important to me, so I can avoid em myself.

C

chitownglass

You could be right and I very well may be wrong. I just know that the only difference between them was the use of a different medium. I grow all my seedlings under a 100 watt lead reading around 250 par so I doubt it was the light intensity. It could just be that they died due to their pita genetics which i know they have. Thanks for your input though. Cheers!

C

climbit

You could be right and I very well may be wrong. I just know that the only difference between them was the use of a different medium. I grow all my seedlings under a 100 watt lead reading around 250 par so I doubt it was the light intensity. It could just be that they died due to their pita genetics which i know they have. Thanks for your input though. Cheers!
Have you grown in ocean forest before without problems ? If so that would further confirm there pita genetics and I can put my anxiety to rest.

Top Bottom