Nostalgia---good sweet smelling weed. F the skunk

• Thread starter sinse
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Glassdub

Glassdub

This is almost funny to me as I love the skunky smells, despite it making my life more difficult, yet I haven't been able to grow one skunky enough for my tastes yet. I have managed to find and grow sweet and sour smelling strains more readily. Saying that, my wife is always complaining about the skunky smells in my spaces, so perhaps I am noseblind.

I know what you mean about the 80s though. There seemed to be more complexity and a different level of pleasing aromas. I am never sure if it was because my nose was young, more sensitive and weed was new to my senses.
Let me know when you do so I can confirm once & for all that I'm right or full of shit, I'm willing to take a blind smell test between skunky weed & an actual skunk & I'll lay money down that I can confirm the difference immediately. I've grown tons of LSD, which is a direct child of Skunk #1 & what it smells like is much closer to musky BO than any other scent.

S

sinse

The Durban Poison being sold in most all places is hybrid like Barney's Acapulco Gold, Durban originally was a very thin leaf landrace sativa. IMO maintaining sativas are a PITA, too many tiny leaves to trim, I'm currently growing a closer to landrace Acapulco Gold that someone here gave me seeds, the genetics seem a hair unstable as one plant looks very sativa one hybrid & one a mixed runt, the other three male (as expected).
As I said I don't think any weed truly smells like skunk, I've smelled skunks a plenty grew up on a farm & supposed skunky weed, distinctly different scent, but yeah I get the analogy & don't personally mind the scent of both.

My most sativa AG:

View attachment 2027082

I was surprised with Durban Poison, mine grew a lot like an Indica (with training). It was low and bushy. The pic below is one plant in a 18 " x 18 inch cabinet. 36 inches of headroom, so things are tight for me.

Not sure if Durban is pure sativa, but I think its close. ----
7 9side

Week 10 F5
Glassdub

Glassdub

I was surprised with Durban Poison, mine grew a lot like an Indica (with training). It was low and bushy. The pic below is one plant in a 18 " x 18 inch cabinet. 36 inches of headroom, so things are tight for me.

Not sure if Durban is pure sativa, but I think its close. ----
View attachment 2027347
Yep, that's a mixed hybrid for sure, this is what landrace Durban looks like, I would much rather trim yours. 😅

midgesmith

midgesmith

Let me know when you do so I can confirm once & for all that I'm right or full of shit, I'm willing to take a blind smell test between skunky weed & an actual skunk & I'll lay money down that I can confirm the difference immediately. I've grown tons of LSD, which is a direct child of Skunk #1 & what it smells like is much closer to musky BO than any other scent.

I have grown Skunk #1 in the last year and it smelled nothing like I remember skunk either. It was more pine and less fox scat.

The skunk I remember had a herbal lick and a stinky rubber / fox-poo stink. Maybe I am confusing skunk with super-skunk. Saying that, Cheese was a Skunk #1 phenotype and that wasn't much like Skunk either.

S

sinse

Yep, that's a mixed hybrid for sure, this is what landrace Durban looks like, I would much rather trim yours. 😅

Think you may be right, the seeds were seedsman freebies. You get what you pay for. Still a pretty decent grow whatever it was, very little Skunk odor !

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Hi all,

Im an old guy, smoked back in the 80's took a break for 30 years and am back to smoking a little herb. Ive been around the "new school strains" with you young whipper snappers and I have to tell you, I hate stinky strains. WTF happened to weed? It smells like a nasty skunk, I hate it.

So, WTF is this old crazy F talking about? Smelly weed can be a big problem if your trying to stay low key, (by that I mean not broadcasting that you a stoner)... My friends are always tellimg me my car smells like skunk and I'm carrying small sealed 1/8ths. This is not good if you get pulled over. (even in a legal state)

So, back in the 80's we would get some great sinsemilla from time to time. The smell was sweet like honey and citrus, think of the smell of a dollar bill---very close. The weed smelled delicous and you could carry a 1/2 ounce without anyone knowing. It was very potent as well, I'd bet 15-20 percent. Not quite as strong as some of your skunk strains, but close.

Now I remember when "skunk" hit the streets. It was HUGE and very potent. I hated it back then too, and prefer the nice mellow smelling strains. Is this what happened? Did skunk make its way into many of todays strains? Dammit !

Luckily for me, there is Northern Lights, Master Kush, Durban Poison. (still very stinky after cure but a LOT less skunk smell...) Any other recomendations or am I best off to just stick wth the old classics? (I know there may be some skunk genes in the strains Ive mentioned, but they are much lower in odor than most--even with skunk in the mix.)

(Last thing, yes I have a carbon stash bag and yes it works... But when you grind your bud, the Pepe Le Pew lingers for HOURS...)
I thought skunk was mostly bred out of genetics over the years? Look around some more there are tons of other terps to fit your palate. Happy smoking ✌

S

sinse

I thought skunk was mostly bred out of genetics over the years? Look around some more there are tons of other terps to fit your palate. Happy smoking ✌

I think many of us have become used to the "skunk" odor in our strains and can smell beyond the skunk. To a normal nose, almost all of todays strains smell skunky. Examples? I was driving to meet a friend recently and just picked up a dispensery which were in the trunk of my car. He didnt even enter my car, he could smell it out the window 5 feet away. (I couldnt smell a thing)... He said it smelled like I hit a skunk. (Dosidos and Alaskan T F>...)

For now, I'll keep growing the old school strains such as Master Kush, Northern Lights, etc... They smell great !

I also have my eyes on this new strain which is supposedly very low odor....

2. Epsilon F1 Hybrid Seeds​

You needn't sacrifice quality in the name of odourless weed. In fact, you open yourself up to growing some of the most high-performing varieties available. As one of the first true cannabis F1 hybrids, Epsilon F1 impresses cultivators with her outstanding vigour, big yields, and excellent uniformity. Unlike most cultivars on the market, F1 hybrids aren’t actually “strains”. Rather, they are the direct progeny of two pure inbred parent lines. F1 hybrids themselves are not bred further; their parent lines are sustained in order to constantly create new waves of F1 offspring.

Although Epsilon F1 contains plenty of moreish terpenes—including myrcene, farnesene, limonene, caryophyllene, and ocimene—it is considerably low in the volatile sulphur compounds that really stink out your grow room or garden.

Aroma aside, Epsilon F1 performs excellently in pretty much any environment. As an F1, she possesses hybrid vigour that makes her more resistant to certain diseases and adverse weather conditions. If you’re searching for weed that doesn’t smell, choose this variety to receive a hefty haul of potent buds after a rapid growing cycle of only 60 days. Her complex terpene profile will not only light up your tongue with tastes of blueberry and lavender, but will also contribute to a heavily stoning yet creative high.

Top Bottom