Not getting high with edibles

• Thread starter login
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
login

login

I got my dad taking up to 1 gram of the Rick Simpson oil in capsules for colon cancer, but it's not getting him high at all.
I thought maybe the oil had went bad but after I took a 500 mg capsule it knocked the dog shit out of me for 12 hours.
Hes also not on any other medication until he starts chemo in 5 weeks.
Will the oil still work even without the effects?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It's not all that uncommon... my brother inlaw has this issue. Just plucked a recent article on it for ya... I always thought it was something on how the body breaks its down.... much like we can eat raw weed and not get high but cats or dogs do... I cannot remember which.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
It's not all that uncommon... my brother inlaw has this issue. Just plucked a recent article on it for ya... I always thought it was something on how the body breaks its down.... much like we can eat raw weed and not get high but cats or dogs do... I cannot remember which.

I get high from raw weed every time I eat it. Last time I ground up a big bud and sprinkled it on a chicken sandwich I was baked for 8 hours straight. Maybe it doesn't work for everybody, but it definitely works for me. My favorite way to dose before getting on an airplane.

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
I myself have an issue with consuming concentrates and RSO. They seem to not give me a high, but instead a headache. I have tried multiple times from many sources, dispensary and homemade, every time with out fail I'll get one within an hour or 2. But when I make my coconut oil or butter it knocks me sideways with no headache.

Ponky

Ponky

A certain percentage of people will never get high on edibles. They simply process the stuff before it can be active. That's why they can eat 20 000 mg. And nothing.

Og_punkgenetics

Og_punkgenetics

I got my dad taking up to 1 gram of the Rick Simpson oil in capsules for colon cancer, but it's not getting him high at all.
I thought maybe the oil had went bad but after I took a 500 mg capsule it knocked the dog shit out of me for 12 hours.
Have him take it with the food high in fat. If he isn't getting enough fat in his diet that can happen. THC is fat soluble and fat acts as a carrier for bio absorption

mancorn

mancorn

Has he tried sublingual ingestion, placing a drug under your tongue to dissolve and absorb into your blood through the tissue there? Just decarb some weed and then stick a little in a portion of a teabag to make a little pouch. (You’re just using the teabag to make the pouch as opposed to having a bunch of loose stuff in your mouth.) This will bypass the digestive system, so it’s not metabolized through his liver and may work for him.

pop22

pop22

If it got you high, it is certainly working for him. It's not unusual for seriously ill people to not get much of a high. And we wish him success in treating his cancer!

Eskander

Eskander

Assuming that it once worked for him and you don't just have a bad batch and without getting particularly technical, there is something called a dose response curve in pharmacology and it tells you more or less how a dose of a drug will effect a person. For a naive user (no prior use) the effect at about 2.5mg THC inhaled is decent and can be sustained indefinitely at intervals of about 2 hours. If they exceed that dose, they have a larger effect in the short term but also trend toward tolerance. The dose response curve flattens and you need more to do anything and the maximum effect that can be reached is lowered. The maximum possible effect is reached when every receptor is saturated but our body changes the number of cell surface receptors based upon what you are exposed too and that is how tolerances to drugs build.

In the medical use industry there are precision metered vaporizers that you can use on intervals that allow you to never build a tolerance. You stick with the dose and the interval and the dose response curve never flattens. Your father has flattened the curve and will not get much out of any amount he takes. The only meaningful way back is to stop use for a while to reset his receptors. Withdrawal from canabanoids is entirely possible though so having something to take the edge off on hand is a good idea.

I'd have him smoke some and see if it does anything at all. If it doesn't then you have your answer. Sucks and it won't be fun to reset. Sorry...

-Eskander

login

login

Thanks for all the responses. Our concer was it's not working without getting any effects.
It's crazy how he has this tolerance in just a few days but stopping usage is not an option right now.
We will continue the oil treatment for 90 days.
I'll let you all know how it goes in a few months.

Eskander

Eskander

Thanks for all the responses. Our concer was it's not working without getting any effects.
It's crazy how he has this tolerance in just a few days but stopping usage is not an option right now.
We will continue the oil treatment for 90 days.
I'll let you all know how it goes in a few months.
Wait... he has a high tolerance in a few days? No. There is something else going on. The shift in receptor frequency for down regulation takes a while because it is mostly based upon cells passively eating damaged proteins.

If you take what you are giving him, what does it do? Did it have any effect on him initially and what dose did you start with? Last, what are you trying to achieve? Reduce side effects of chemo or are you trying to use this a treatment in of its self?

-Eskander

login

login

I first gave him 150mg with no effect so upped it to 400mg said he felt like a little buzz after 3 hours than at 600 mg not much of any effect same for 1000mg.
I took 500mg at 7 pm and 1 hour in I couldn't stay awake and was still high the next morning.
Were just trying any thing that will help kill the cancer

Eskander

Eskander

Not everyone is effected by oral routes and it has to do with genetics and liver enzyme expression. Others bias towards 10 hydroxy and trivial doses push them into psychosis. It is entirely possible that you and your father are at different ends of the spectrum as far as dose/response.

I've been where you are and having realistic expectations lets you use the time you have best. RSO or anything pot derived is not going to help his prognosis. If it was a matter of treating pain or side effects from chemo then that is one thing but the real medical uses of pot as an actual treatment is limited to certain types of seizures in children using CBD. Thats it. It is the ONLY thing that is an actual proven medical use as a treatment rather than a palliative. I know it is touted as a magical cure for everything but that is simply bullshit and it is important to accept that. While it is tempting to grasp at anything that can offer hope, it may distract you from actual therapeutics. There are things out there that have real effects and may prolong his life or allow him to retain a good quality of life for the time he has left.

Ask his doc for cell line culturing and a treatment test array against those cells. It is a technique for picking drugs that is very rarely used but is an extremely powerful tool for choosing the path with the best outcome. It isn't particularly expensive but it does take a few weeks to complete. If that doesn't pan out with anything promising, you might want to ask about taxol and then flipping to colchicine once the tumors start to grow again. He'll want to puke his bones out during the flip but both of them will give him more quality time during the main sequence of their use.

Good luck

-Eskander

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Not everyone is effected by oral routes and it has to do with genetics and liver enzyme expression. Others bias towards 10 hydroxy and trivial doses push them into psychosis. It is entirely possible that you and your father are at different ends of the spectrum as far as dose/response.

I've been where you are and having realistic expectations lets you use the time you have best. RSO or anything pot derived is not going to help his prognosis. If it was a matter of treating pain or side effects from chemo then that is one thing but the real medical uses of pot as an actual treatment is limited to certain types of seizures in children using CBD. Thats it. It is the ONLY thing that is an actual proven medical use as a treatment rather than a palliative. I know it is touted as a magical cure for everything but that is simply bullshit and it is important to accept that. While it is tempting to grasp at anything that can offer hope, it may distract you from actual therapeutics. There are things out there that have real effects and may prolong his life or allow him to retain a good quality of life for the time he has left.

Ask his doc for cell line culturing and a treatment test array against those cells. It is a technique for picking drugs that is very rarely used but is an extremely powerful tool for choosing the path with the best outcome. It isn't particularly expensive but it does take a few weeks to complete. If that doesn't pan out with anything promising, you might want to ask about taxol and then flipping to colchicine once the tumors start to grow again. He'll want to puke his bones out during the flip but both of them will give him more quality time during the main sequence of their use.

Good luck

-Eskander
you every study rick simpson? watch the documentaries?

Top Bottom