Not sure what I am dealing with here. Seeds? Pods? Nanners? Hermies? Pictures Attached

• Thread starter muzzle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

muzzle

Hello Fam!

Just finished one of my best yields. The product was nice, and the weight was great. I had 2 strains in the room. 27 LCG's, and 70 Runtz both came out beautiful for a final product.

However, I did end up running into an issue that I noticed during trim. I found a lot of light green hollow pods, and what I think looks like sacs at the bottom of the nugs, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at or looking for because in 3 years I've never had this issue.

I'll provide the nutrients I use, the schedule I use for Lights, PPM, CO2, pH and Temps.

Background information:
  • Gavitas 1700 LEDs. 5 - 7 inches from top nugs/canopy. No bleached or discolored nugs.
  • Have a strong Green Light Bulb. Found that the crew had left this on a handful of times during the dark period during flower.
  • Found that crew was watering during the dark period, and happened to use a flashlight to look at trees multiples times throughout the run in flower.
  • While watering in the dark period noticed 1 of the Gavitas turn on and off like a flicker. Never in the room during dark period, so don't know if this was a coincidence or always happened.
  • Clones have been in rotation for 2 years
  • Have had pods before, but nothing this extensive and nothing this noticeable
Grow Notes:
  • Veg 1 - 5 weeks: We waited for dry back, then watered. By week 4 of Veg the plants were eating .5 gallons almost daily with dry back.
  • At the end of every week of flower we flushed.
  • Flower: week 1 - 4 plants were eating .5 gallons daily, then every other day.
  • End of Week 3 flower we pruned.
  • 2 days into Week 4 of flower we de-leafed.
  • Didn't touch the plants after.
  • Flower week 5 - 6: Plants slowed down eating.
  • Flower week 6 - 8: 30 plants out of 97 were eating daily .5 gallons. The rest were eating every other day, or even every 3 days. They stopped eating as much, the pots had MUCH less dry back.
  • Flushed 3 days, lights off 2 days then chopped.
Overall plants didn't show stress in leaves, or colors, but we did notice that by end of week 6 the majority of the room was not eating.

Grow condition & schedule:

Not sure what i am dealing with here seeds pods nanners hermies pictures attached 2

Not sure what i am dealing with here seeds pods nanners hermies pictures attached
Not sure what i am dealing with here seeds pods nanners hermies pictures attached 3
Not sure what i am dealing with here seeds pods nanners hermies pictures attached 4
Not sure what i am dealing with here seeds pods nanners hermies pictures attached 5
Not sure what i am dealing with here seeds pods nanners hermies pictures attached 6
Not sure what i am dealing with here seeds pods nanners hermies pictures attached 7
Not sure what i am dealing with here seeds pods nanners hermies pictures attached 8
Not sure what i am dealing with here seeds pods nanners hermies pictures attached 9
JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
They look like possible nanners.... even with occasional lighting issues during dark I wouldn't chalk it up to that... could be a sign that it's time to rotate out clones as showing signs of age??? They could have gone thru a faster flower cycle than normal for some reason... im.kknd of stumped too

M

muzzle

They look like possible nanners.... even with occasional lighting issues during dark I wouldn't chalk it up to that... could be a sign that it's time to rotate out clones as showing signs of age??? They could have gone thru a faster flower cycle than normal for some reason... im.kknd of stumped too
You think a fast flower cycle would cause this? The grower I get it from grows it for 9 weeks I did 8 weeks. the 27 LCGs were specifically the worst.

JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
You think a fast flower cycle would cause this? The grower I get it from grows it for 9 weeks I did 8 weeks. the 27 LCGs were specifically the worst.
Well typically speaking female pollen starts late in flower loke beyond their "ripe" point.... so being faster flowers... they probably were in flower stage longer than suppose to...im just going off generalities here

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
It like a crazy mutation of sorts, herm oddity? Def weird. Never seen that before, beans coming out of any of that?

M

muzzle

Well typically speaking female pollen starts late in flower loke beyond their "ripe" point.... so being faster flowers... they probably were in flower stage longer than suppose to...im just going off generalities here
So, that means I might have pushed them to the limit with high light intensity and high co2 late in flower. Because normally, this is a 9 week strain and I cut it down this time. I really think it's light exposure in dark periods of time as well.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
I've never seen, or heard of it and no one can help! Lol, no beans only pre-mature seeds.
Yeah, I’m leaning towards herming. Those light issues may have been going on a bit longer than you caught? it’s the weird growth in the center of the buds that threw me too. It’s like it’s a mutating herm.

M

muzzle

Yeah, I’m leaning towards herming. Those light issues may have been going on a bit longer than you caught? it’s the weird growth in the center of the buds that threw me too. It’s like it’s a mutating herm.
Yeah, I noticed it once by coincidence. It's highly likely it's happening WAY more often and that's what's causing the issue. I set up a camera and put everything on a schedule so far, I haven't recorded anything.

Choppr

Choppr

Exaggerated Calyx's, she started to seed - It can happen if ran late, or late flower stress, anther and filament are close together inside the bud for a reason, so she can self pollinate create seed and pass on her progeny if stressed, stress will cause them to self pollinate, often you wont see anthers.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Exaggerated Calyx's, she started to seed - It can happen if ran late, or late flower stress, anther and filament are close together inside the bud for a reason, so she can self pollinate create seed and pass on her progeny if stressed, stress will cause them to self pollinate, often you wont see anthers.
Pretty sure I’ve seen the bud mutation before, but the hard enlarged calyx that’s a trip. Wild stuff. Thx for the good info chop 👊🏻

M

muzzle

Right!?!? She had seed pods all around the bud itself. Then what seems to be sacs on the bottom. I think you're spot on as far as what happen, but I can't figure out what caused this happen. I don't believe it's running a longer flower because I strictly kept it at 8 weeks. I think after week 6 I was giving a lot of co2 and light intensity with high PPM food which may have caused the plant to

think I’ve nailed it to a few things.
  • light intesity
  • Lights to close to canopy
  • Cold temperature at nigjt
  • And potentially light leak during dark period
  • Flickering Gavita during dark period

seems like I had nanners and plants were pollinated, while stressing into a hermie at the same time all late in flower.

my course of action is
  • bleach the whole room every inch to eliminate pollen of left over
  • monitor light leaks which I have an idea of the source
  • lower light intensity
  • distance the leds higher from the canopy

please let me know if I’m on the right track.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Right!?!? She had seed pods all around the bud itself. Then what seems to be sacs on the bottom. I think you're spot on as far as what happen, but I can't figure out what caused this happen. I don't believe it's running a longer flower because I strictly kept it at 8 weeks. I think after week 6 I was giving a lot of co2 and light intensity with high PPM food which may have caused the plant to

think I’ve nailed it to a few things.
  • light intesity
  • Lights to close to canopy
  • Cold temperature at nigjt
  • And potentially light leak during dark period
  • Flickering Gavita during dark period

seems like I had nanners and plants were pollinated, while stressing into a hermie at the same time all late in flower.

my course of action is
  • bleach the whole room every inch to eliminate pollen of left over
  • monitor light leaks which I have an idea of the source
  • lower light intensity
  • distance the leds higher from the canopy

please let me know if I’m on the right track.
You are definitely on the right track with all of that.

Choppr

Choppr

Right!?!? She had seed pods all around the bud itself.
what you are calling seed pods are Calyx's, the buds are made of Calyx's that swell up whether pollinated or not! there are 2 filaments(pistils) that stick out of each calyx when they are hit with boy pollen the filaments will pull inside the Calyx, this is the Ovum, this is where seeds will begin to grow! Its the birds and the bees my'dude! lol, If She feels threatened in any way she will self-pollinate, not necessarily herm trait as it is a natural process, they are both sexes on the fly, purpose built over the millennia's into her DNA. Yes, this is can be caused by the several reasons You quoted, your on target,
right-on!

M

muzzle

what you are calling seed pods are Calyx's, the buds are made of Calyx's that swell up whether pollinated or not! there are 2 filaments(pistils) that stick out of each calyx when they are hit with boy pollen the filaments will pull inside the Calyx, this is the Ovum, this is where seeds will begin to grow! Its the birds and the bees my'dude! lol, If She feels threatened in any way she will self-pollinate, not necessarily herm trait as it is a natural process, they are both sexes on the fly, purpose built over the millennia's into her DNA. Yes, this is can be caused by the several reasons You quoted, your on target,
right-on!
So, if I understood you correctly it was DEF confused and stressed. It DEF self pollinated, and def had pre-mature calyx's.

Because outside of the 'pod' is beautiful nugs with nice shape, but inside of that is the light green calyx.

Choppr

Choppr

So, if I understood you correctly it was DEF confused and stressed. It DEF self pollinated, and def had pre-mature calyx's.

Because outside of the 'pod' is beautiful nugs with nice shape, but inside of that is the light green calyx.
If the buds were fully formed beautiful Nugs then the Calyx's were Mature, the seeds weren't. She was stressed by something and started to seed, whatever it was? happened late in flower because the seeds were barely formed, at 3 weeks you will have what I call greenies, it takes 5 to 6 weeks to make mature seed once pollinated.

A fully formed bud is just many Calyx's stacked on top of many Calyx's. What you are calling a Pod, the Anatomical name is Calyx.

Hope you get to the bottom of it before you start makin seeds! Right-On!

pic - My 1st sign of good pollination is all of the pistils pull inside of the calyx's this is how I know my pollination worked, 2nd sign is enlarged/exaggerated Calyx's, and then finally you'll count 4-5 dilated calyx's with what I call greenies showing)

Calyx Dilated BBSlushy 2wk Pollinated 2

Choppr

Choppr

Bracts if were being technical - Calyx is what is commonly used. (inside of the bracts).

M

muzzle

I see! All of this makes sense. The Phos might be a little too much your right. That was the last thing I was thinking. I've been convinces that it was due to me pushing 1000wats+ and 1600+ CO2 in Week 7 and barely lowered it in week 8. Maybe the plant thought it was still trying to grow vs realizing it's coming to an end?

S

sourorangedieselkush

Hello Fam!

Just finished one of my best yields. The product was nice, and the weight was great. I had 2 strains in the room. 27 LCG's, and 70 Runtz both came out beautiful for a final product.

However, I did end up running into an issue that I noticed during trim. I found a lot of light green hollow pods, and what I think looks like sacs at the bottom of the nugs, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at or looking for because in 3 years I've never had this issue.

I'll provide the nutrients I use, the schedule I use for Lights, PPM, CO2, pH and Temps.

Background information:
  • Gavitas 1700 LEDs. 5 - 7 inches from top nugs/canopy. No bleached or discolored nugs.
  • Have a strong Green Light Bulb. Found that the crew had left this on a handful of times during the dark period during flower.
  • Found that crew was watering during the dark period, and happened to use a flashlight to look at trees multiples times throughout the run in flower.
  • While watering in the dark period noticed 1 of the Gavitas turn on and off like a flicker. Never in the room during dark period, so don't know if this was a coincidence or always happened.
  • Clones have been in rotation for 2 years
  • Have had pods before, but nothing this extensive and nothing this noticeable
Grow Notes:
  • Veg 1 - 5 weeks: We waited for dry back, then watered. By week 4 of Veg the plants were eating .5 gallons almost daily with dry back.
  • At the end of every week of flower we flushed.
  • Flower: week 1 - 4 plants were eating .5 gallons daily, then every other day.
  • End of Week 3 flower we pruned.
  • 2 days into Week 4 of flower we de-leafed.
  • Didn't touch the plants after.
  • Flower week 5 - 6: Plants slowed down eating.
  • Flower week 6 - 8: 30 plants out of 97 were eating daily .5 gallons. The rest were eating every other day, or even every 3 days. They stopped eating as much, the pots had MUCH less dry back.
  • Flushed 3 days, lights off 2 days then chopped.
Overall plants didn't show stress in leaves, or colors, but we did notice that by end of week 6 the majority of the room was not eating.

Grow condition & schedule:

View attachment 2064474
Sure it isn’t just swollen calyx?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
firstly pictures of plants a week or two before harvest would of helped immensely..
without knowing much about the plants but by looking at the pictures of your buds, how do you not notice your trichomes are all stressed/elongated to the max, i barely see any heads on the capitate stalked trichomes, looks like an over abundance of non granular trichomes..
all do to with stresses.. should learn to grow with a small grow first instead of being greedy..

Latest posts

Top Bottom