Not sure what this is :/

• Thread starter Backwoods69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Backwoods69

Backwoods69

Seems to be the only one doing this. I recently let the 5gal smart pots dry out a little extra because i started getting fungus gnats. But this one plant has some issues, any ideas? Ive been feeding compost tea once a week with liquid seaweed, urb microbials and a little bit of fish hydrosolate.

Not sure what this is
Not sure what this is 2
Not sure what this is 3
Snarglefarf

Snarglefarf

I'm having one of my worse grows ever right now and it's because of fungus gnats. The larvae munch on the roots and you'll see it in the leaves. I have one plant in particular that's especially affected. Not sure why they favor it more over the other 2. Anyway, I've been using azamax and mosquito dunks. The dunks I don't think are doing much but the azamax works if you do it regularly. I had to up how much I was running through the pots after awhile tho. Instructions say 1 pint of mix per gallon of media and I did 1 quart per gallon a week ago. I haven't seen any flying around since then but that one plant is starting to droop again which means they're eating roots again and I'll have to hit em with azamax again today. I have 3 sticky traps that are only 2 weeks old and completely covered with the little pricks.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
I'm having one of my worse grows ever right now and it's because of fungus gnats. The larvae munch on the roots and you'll see it in the leaves. I have one plant in particular that's especially affected. Not sure why they favor it more over the other 2. Anyway, I've been using azamax and mosquito dunks. The dunks I don't think are doing much but the azamax works if you do it regularly. I had to up how much I was running through the pots after awhile tho. Instructions say 1 pint of mix per gallon of media and I did 1 quart per gallon a week ago. I haven't seen any flying around since then but that one plant is starting to droop again which means they're eating roots again and I'll have to hit em with azamax again today. I have 3 sticky traps that are only 2 weeks old and completely covered with the little pricks.
Fungus gnats do very little harm to an established plant.They can kill little seedlings but even those they have a hard time with.
Sounds like your dealing with root aphids?

Snarglefarf

Snarglefarf

Fungus gnats do very little harm to an established plant.They can kill little seedlings but even those they have a hard time with.
Sounds like your dealing with root aphids?
No they're definitely gnats. I have the sticky traps to prove it. Anything munching on roots is gonna leave a mark.

Snarglefarf

Snarglefarf

This is only my 2nd time dealing with gnats and it was the same shit as the first time. I start wondering why the plants are drooping then a few days later I see them flying around and my plants have perked back up and the cycle continues. After awhile the fan leaves start looking like trash despite all my efforts to kill the little prick. Then when I think I've killed them off, plants start drooping again.

Backwoods69

Backwoods69

This is only my 2nd time dealing with gnats and it was the same shit as the first time. I start wondering why the plants are drooping then a few days later I see them flying around and my plants have perked back up and the cycle continues. After awhile the fan leaves start looking like trash despite all my efforts to kill the little prick. Then when I think I've killed them off, plants start drooping again.
So right now ive manages to knock the fungas gnats down quite a bit with the sticky traps, and also letting my soil dry out more( which made my plants droop imo) I also pickes up some "Dont bug me" by Fox Farm. Check that out man. Also am waiting on some diatomaceous earth today in the mail off amazon. The stuff is supposed to shred the larvae. Also, with dry top soil they can't survive. I never let it get outta control so im not too inclined to think the leaf issue is from the gnats. But I didnt stumble upon some info about phosphorus deficiency, and it does look very similiar to whaf I have going on.

az2000

az2000

Indicas can have thick, puffy leaves anyway. But, to me that looks overfed. What soil are you feeding? Is it possible it has nutrients in it?

It looks like mg def (the fading between the veins). But, overfeeding (salt buildup) can cause symptoms of deficiency. If your soil ph is low, that might signify salt buildup. I measure my runoff ppms. When they hit 2400-2500, that's when I get lockout. I keep it below 1800 in flower. But, different soils may be different. I've seen some people say they have 5000ppm runoff and no signs of problems.

A "slurry test" is often recommended here. But, I don't know how that would sample the soil throughout. You can google for the "NCSU Pour-through extraction method." That's a method of measuring the runoff. Runoff testing is often disliked. I think that's because people don't do it that precisely. The liquid has to remain in the soil to pickup the soil's properties before being passed out as runoff (and only a small amounted passed out so it's not diluted with the liquid that displaced it).

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
No they're definitely gnats. I have the sticky traps to prove it. Anything munching on roots is gonna leave a mark.
If your having gnat promblems it’s because you have a abundance of dead roots in your pot and that is what the larvae like to eat.
In fact when you have poorly rooted clones with brown roots then you water them it’s like an alarm system for the gnats to come and lay there pupa and spread disease. They can smell that crap from miles away.
People always try defeating the pest before recognizing the culprit. Gnats don’t give a shit how much azamax you put in the soil. The azamax is probally making your root problem even worst.
The gnats also enjoy spreading the root disease from plant to plant. Spread a little here spread a little there.

Snarglefarf

Snarglefarf

So right now ive manages to knock the fungas gnats down quite a bit with the sticky traps, and also letting my soil dry out more( which made my plants droop imo) I also pickes up some "Dont bug me" by Fox Farm. Check that out man. Also am waiting on some diatomaceous earth today in the mail off amazon. The stuff is supposed to shred the larvae. Also, with dry top soil they can't survive. I never let it get outta control so im not too inclined to think the leaf issue is from the gnats. But I didnt stumble upon some info about phosphorus deficiency, and it does look very similiar to whaf I have going on.
That DE is a pain in the ass. It's supposed to shred up the adults but I watch them walk all over it with no effect on them. Then when you go to water your plants it turns to paste.

Snarglefarf

Snarglefarf

If your having gnat promblems it’s because you have a abundance of dead roots in your pot and that is what the larvae like to eat.
In fact when you have poorly rooted clones with brown roots then you water them it’s like an alarm system for the gnats to come and lay there pupa and spread disease. They can smell that crap from miles away.
People always try defeating the pest before recognizing the culprit. Gnats don’t give a shit how much azamax you put in the soil. The azamax is probally making your root problem even worst.
The gnats also enjoy spreading the root disease from plant to plant. Spread a little here spread a little there.
They eat live roots too.

az2000

az2000

I don't think gnats are your problem. But, Home Depot & Lowes sell a spray that's non-toxic rosemary and clove oil. It's very pungent. I spritz 2-3 times on the soil after feeding. A couple times around the drain holes. That keeps them in check until my next feeding. (My soil is light/airy. I feed every 2-3 days).

I also use white posterboard (Walmart), cut a circle large enough to lay on the edge of the container. Cut a slot from outer edge to center (for the stalk). Make two, so one covers the slot of the other. It's not a perfect seal against the stalk. But, it can make it harder for them to get around. (I like this because it also reflects light up into the plant. But, I'm in a dry envrionment. In a humid environment you might have mold problems. Panty hose stretched over the pot would work. You can cover the drain holes that way too.).

But, I don't go crazy about gnats. They're a sign of healthy soil. I just try to keep them in check. The yellow sticky tape or cards can help too. You can buy that sticky stuff in a can, called "Tanglefoot." You can scrape used cards clean and apply new sticky stuff with a putty knife.

Diatmaceous earth never did anything that I could tell. I think it could be good for the soil, a source of trace minerals like azamax. For a while I was adding 1Tbsp per gallon of soil. Not for gnats, just for it's potential to supply minerals. I lost interest eventually.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Gnats dont eat mature roots. They eat the rotting material on them and in the soil.

They damage seedling roots because they are so fragile and small.

Agree with posters above. Nutrient stress in the plant (maybe overwatering looking at the curled down leaves) brings the gnats.

Snarglefarf

Snarglefarf

Gnats dont eat mature roots. They eat the rotting material on them and in the soil.

They damage seedling roots because they are so fragile and small.

Agree with posters above. Nutrient stress in the plant (maybe overwatering looking at the curled down leaves) brings the gnats.
But they eat roots nonetheless. It'll fuck with your plants. Adults spread disease. Yet everyone is so quick to say it's a nutrient issue lol. What the fuck. If op is seeing a few flying around then I can almost guarantee he has larvae in his media. There might be other factors at play here but his leaves look like mine. Other than my fan leaves everything looks fine cuz I'm keeping the gnats in check. Buds are growing bigger everyday almost on week 5.

Snarglefarf

Snarglefarf

And if the larvae or adults spreading disease aren't a concern, which some make it out to be, then why do they bother fighting gnats in a commercial greenhouse growing tomatoes?

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
But they eat roots nonetheless. It'll fuck with your plants. Adults spread disease. Yet everyone is so quick to say it's a nutrient issue lol. What the fuck. If op is seeing a few flying around then I can almost guarantee he has larvae in his media. There might be other factors at play here but his leaves look like mine. Other than my fan leaves everything looks fine cuz I'm keeping the gnats in check. Buds are growing bigger everyday almost on week 5.
It becomes a nutrient issue when your roots are diseased yet your still feeding it at regular strength. Probally why his leaves are so dark green lol

Backwoods69

Backwoods69

It becomes a nutrient issue when your roots are diseased yet your still feeding it at regular strength. Probally why his leaves are so dark green lol
Havent really fed a whole lot of strong nutes other than some bat guano and a lil fish hydrosolate. Been trying to keep a living soil

Backwoods69

Backwoods69

Also use liquid seaweed and molasses. My ppms dont usually run over 500. Either way this is my 1st grow and ive had a ton of problems. Ive learned alot but still shit keeps popping up. They were booming for a little while and ive been doing lst and topped the main stalk 1st. Then when i got a bunch more tops i topped a few and theyve been rough since

az2000

az2000

Havent really fed a whole lot of strong nutes other than some bat guano and a lil fish hydrosolate. Been trying to keep a living soil

The first photo seems to show 2 leaves with the tips cut off(?). Was that nute burn at one time?

Latest posts

Top Bottom