Novice looking for any tips and tricks

• Thread starter Learningdetroit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Learningdetroit

English isn't my first language please excuse any bad wording and such.

I apologize for the long post but I have many questions.

I’ve grown autos for maybe two seasons indoors now with some crap mars led lights but I started an outdoor photo garden as I wanted to start producing higher yields and avoid the electricity bills. However, my photo plants aren’t planted in water such as the autos were so I feel I can and need to learn a lot.

This is only my second attempt at growing photoperiods and my second attempt at outdoor growing as well so please be kind.

information that might help with any tips

Detroit Michigan

Soil: Ocean Forest / regular earth after transplant

Nutrients: Dry Fertilizer - Fox Farm All Puropose and beginning to add Fruit and Flower. I also add Grow Big slightly to the water maybe once a month and foiler spray a very low mixture.

I’m looking for any tips or information to help me turn my girls into the best I possibly can. From extra nutrients to help me getting some real sticky sap filled bud to anything else.

Main questions I have right now is regarding trellising these plants and defollilation. I probably should have done it a lot sooner. And I have no idea what I’m doing or what would be my best course or action Is me bending and weaving such a large plant such as below a bad thing? Will it actually help me achieve higher yields than just letting them grow without a trellis and bending?

But I'm also willing and eager to hear any tips on anything regarding helping me turn these into the best possible girls I can.

Photo of 1 I really bent and stuffed below netting.

Novice looking for any tips and tricks

Novice looking for any tips and tricks 3

this is another plant I attempted to trellis I was able to manipulate some of the branches down to be weaved in but I still have large branches that I can’t bend to much without snapping. My plan has maybe put another trellis over top of another half if the growth catches back up from the bottom parts I netted down.

Novice looking for any tips and tricks 4

Novice looking for any tips and tricks 5

This is prior to trying to net thee above plant

Novice looking for any tips and tricks 10

This one I just threw a net over to let it grow and then maybe stake it down eventually.
But I'm wondering if I were to just stake my lower branches down around the entire plant instead would that hurt my yield/kolas on those branches? With those branches tied down and the top to just freely grow. (low branches circled).

Novice looking for any tips and tricks 6

Novice looking for any tips and tricks 7

There is tomato cages in nearly all of them so they do have some support already

they all started in 5gl or 15g fabrics and had transplanted into the ground maybe early June for some others have been within the first week of July.

Here's a photo of them before I started trying to net them.

Novice looking for any tips and tricks 8

Novice looking for any tips and tricks 9

Novice looking for any tips and tricks 11

Novice looking for any tips and tricks 12

Any tips on anything would be greatly appreciated

Novice looking for any tips and tricks 2
Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter

I’ve grown autos for maybe two seasons indoors now with some crap mars led lights but I started an outdoor photo garden as I wanted to start producing higher yields and avoid the electricity bills. However, my photo plants aren’t planted in water such as the autos were so I feel I can and need to learn a lot.

This is only my second attempt at growing photoperiods and my second attempt at outdoor growing as well so please be kind.

Detroit Michigan

Nutrients: Dry Fertilizer - Fox Farm All Puropose and beginning to add Fruit and Flower. I also add Grow Big slightly to the water maybe once a month and foiler spray a very low mixture.

I’m looking for any tips or information to help me turn my girls into the best I possibly can. From extra nutrients to help me getting some real sticky sap filled bud to anything else.

Main questions I have right now is regarding trellising these plants and defollilation. I probably should have done it a lot sooner. And I have no idea what I’m doing or what would be my best course or action Is me bending and weaving such a large plant such as below a bad thing? Will it actually help me achieve higher yields than just letting them grow without a trellis and bending?

But I'm also willing and eager to hear any tips on anything regarding helping me turn these into the best possible girls I can.

View attachment 2011070
View attachment 2011074

this is another plant I attempted to trellis I was able to manipulate some of the branches down to be weaved in but I still have large branches that I can’t bend to much without snapping. My plan has maybe put another trellis over top of another half if the growth catches back up from the bottom parts I netted down.

View attachment 2011075
View attachment 2011076

View attachment 2011083

This one I just threw a net over to let it grow and then maybe stake it down eventually.
But I'm wondering if I were to just stake my lower branches down around the entire plant instead would that hurt my yield/kolas on those branches? With those branches tied down and the top to just freely grow. (low branches circled).

View attachment 2011077

View attachment 2011078

There is tomato cages in nearly all of them so they do have some support already

they all started in 5gl or 15g fabrics and had transplanted into the ground maybe early June for some others have been within the first week of July.

View attachment 2011081
View attachment 2011082
View attachment 2011084

View attachment 2011085
i’ll be honest i just skipped through your post, plants look fine..
just be on top of how to notice white powdery mildew or pest..
watch for earlier signs of caterpillars, mites.. etc..
starting now until finished especially starting in august.,
most plants in this area are starting their stretch before flowering starts..

LilBean1013

LilBean1013

They look great.

The one thing about defoliation that I've kinda stuck to is pruning/trimming as needed to keep air flow and good light penetration.

There's ppl that only clip at certain times/weeks . I've found for me along as I don't over do it I've had success even with running autos lately .

But honestly ur looking great to my eye, just need to open them up alil so the aux bud sites can get their share of sun and air flow.

Sry,not much help , hope it was alil useful to you.

Best of luck, update here if u can as u go I'd like to see how it goes for u..

L

Learningdetroit

They look great.

The one thing about defoliation that I've kinda stuck to is pruning/trimming as needed to keep air flow and good light penetration.

There's ppl that only clip at certain times/weeks . I've found for me along as I don't over do it I've had success even with running autos lately .

But honestly ur looking great to my eye, just need to open them up alil so the aux bud sites can get their share of sun and air flow.

Sry,not much help , hope it was alil useful to you.

Best of luck, update here if u can as u go I'd like to see how it goes for u..
Good or bad I share maybe it will help someone in future!

Thanks for your input if you think of anything else please let me know.

M

mediblemyc

thew way that cannabis develops branch strength is through wind blowing the branches that causes micro tears which are then reinforced by the plant.
theres many tricks you can use to reinforce the branches, however personally as theyre outside i wouldn't be too concerned as the wind will do that for you.
what i would focus on though is spreading the canopy, so that light can get down in between them.
by usiong wire and nails into he ground you can tie the branches down into a star shape,
that will increase the area of your plants and in time the yields too.

they look healthy and fantastic.
i am sure you will pull a fantastic yield.

L

Learningdetroit

thew way that cannabis develops branch strength is through wind blowing the branches that causes micro tears which are then reinforced by the plant.
theres many tricks you can use to reinforce the branches, however personally as theyre outside i wouldn't be too concerned as the wind will do that for you.
what i would focus on though is spreading the canopy, so that light can get down in between them.
by usiong wire and nails into he ground you can tie the branches down into a star shape,
that will increase the area of your plants and in time the yields too.

they look healthy and fantastic.
i am sure you will pull a fantastic yield.
I’m going to attempt a few different things this week too open them up. I'm fortunate enough to have a few different plants to play around with. The ones I didn't tangle to bad with the trellis I might attempt something different with. Maybe even just doing it vertical and feeding branches out and even that way. Let’s pray I don’t get myself tangled up along with it! 😄

Thanks for your input!

L

Learningdetroit

I'm going to post a weekly update of photos if that's a problem please let me know and ill stop. No one might even see them as it is but I want to share my goings on.

C

chronic2

It's 7-leaf indica. Grows like a punk when matures. Technical names I'm not up on. So the generic goes something like wait for 75% of the plant to show its brown hairs. White hairs are not mature. Next is the color of the oil oozing out of the budd and close growing leaves. Clear is too not ripe to pull. Cloudy oil is about time to pull. Brown or gold turning is overripe.

On my 4th season of growing. I use not elixirs, Just water it. When it grows young starting out, everyday I'm on top of, but say more looking under the leaves for its male counterpart. This is where you want to find the males before they pop the pollen. Want more seed, sacrifice this season for next year's planting.

Want full energy into the female, pull the males. Male would have shown themselves by now I believe. She looks healthy.

L

Learningdetroit

It's 7-leaf indica. Grows like a punk when matures. Technical names I'm not up on. So the generic goes something like wait for 75% of the plant to show its brown hairs. White hairs are not mature. Next is the color of the oil oozing out of the budd and close growing leaves. Clear is too not ripe to pull. Cloudy oil is about time to pull. Brown or gold turning is overripe.

On my 4th season of growing. I use not elixirs, Just water it. When it grows young starting out, everyday I'm on top of, but say more looking under the leaves for its male counterpart. This is where you want to find the males before they pop the pollen. Want more seed, sacrifice this season for next year's planting.

Want full energy into the female, pull the males. Male would have shown themselves by now I believe. She looks healthy.
I’m sorry can you explain to me what growing like a punk means?

I’m confident in knowing when they will be ready I bought a new digital microscope just to inspect my thricomes later on.

I went from feminized seeds I believe there is more creamofcrop zkittles out there in the yard then the othes. I believe that the zkittles is highly indica like 80/20. The others is a runtz from seedsupreme I believe was suppose to be a more 50/50.

I should probably do an inspection to make sure nothing has maled on me though. I will remember to do this when I give them a defoliation.

There’s a few I haven’t posted photos as I’m at my max of 12 plants for Michigan. And all those pictures would be even more work than these girls have become.

Then I also have a few clones from a really good place. Something called I-80, then apples & bananas and motor breath. These are mainly smaller plants. I’m more interested in making these big girls the best!

Also had a mandarin zkittles cut at two different locations actually start to flower on me maybe nearly month and half ago. It was doing very nice however this one got spider mites so it’s going to probably be burnt it’s in the back quarantined by the woods currently.

Don’t mind the white look it’s not powdery mildew. She had a bag of diatomaceous spilled all over here at one point I mean like drenched and that certainly killed all the mites but I still kept her far away to avoid them getting anything else.

IMG 1246

I sprayed her off but you can clearly see all the mite damage however no webs or anything visiable when I looked at her. I’d consider just letting her grow out by the back woods but because how bad the mires were and it was like the first week of flower I fear they messed it to bad.
IMG 1248

I also have a clone

C

chronic2

I’m sorry can you explain to me what growing like a punk means?
Indica will grow off a branch and fill the branch from bottom to top. Where the whole plant has these standing by themselves of the whole plant. Where as sativa has a gap of bare branch and then a thick bud, bare branch and then a thick bud above that one branch and so on.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Detroit Michigan
Howdy, and welcome to the Farm! 🤠

What part of the D? I was never an official resident of Detroit but I have a lot of friends there, and for years I spent every weekend at Leland City Club in the basement of the Ramada Hotel on Bagley. I believe it's called the Leland Hotel, now.

Quite a few friends from all over D town area including Dearborn, Royal Oak, Hamtramck, even a few folks across the way in Windsor. I miss the Woodward Dream cruises, too, used to go to that almost every year. I might have to take my son to this year's Dream Cruise, I think he might like that.

L

Learningdetroit

Howdy, and welcome to the Farm! 🤠

What part of the D? I was never an official resident of Detroit but I have a lot of friends there, and for years I spent every weekend at Leland City Club in the basement of the Ramada Hotel on Bagley. I believe it's called the Leland Hotel, now.

Quite a few friends from all over D town area including Dearborn, Royal Oak, Hamtramck, even a few folks across the way in Windsor. I miss the Woodward Dream cruises, too, used to go to that almost every year. I might have to take my son to this year's Dream Cruise, I think he might like that.

Thanks for the welcome.

I’ve lived on the west side of Detroit for about 32 years. I’ve seen it at it’s good times and it’s bad times, unfortunately we are going back into those bad times. I’ve moved most of my garden to my parents house in Taylor just due to safety concerns.

I try to stay away from downtown between the traffic/construction and just tomfoolery that been escalating that past few years I’m happy to just stay local. We need to build the rest of the city up instead of downtown.

We just had the Telegraph Cruise the past two days it was nice to see the cars but I couldn’t stay out there very long the heat and traffic made the air even worse than when we had the wildfire smoke. It surely wasn’t anywhere as a spectacle like older times many older cars and hot rods but the amount of people who want to bring out the mustangs challengers and chargers to show them off is just mehh...

The cops also have cracked down on the fun parts of those car meets. Like the burn outs / revving.

I know they moved many things to Milan at the racetrack i took one of my little cousins out there last month and we had a good time.

While this has nothing to do with anything important.

I do personally have a problem with some of these car events such as the Detroit auto show as the state gave them a 10 million grant to put it on while that 10 million could go multiple ways to help the people of Detroit. Instead of promoting cars from companies that already have record profits.

Last edited:
cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter

Detroit Michigan

View attachment 2011070
View attachment 2011074

View attachment 2011075
View attachment 2011076

View attachment 2011083

View attachment 2011077

View attachment 2011078

View attachment 2011081
View attachment 2011082
View attachment 2011084

View attachment 2011085
They look great just keep a close eye on them and you should be great.

L

Learningdetroit

Another week another round of update photos.

I'm working on cleaning up the insides/bottoms of popcorn bud branches. And trying to weave nets deeper / create support for branches.

IMG 1341

IMG 1340
IMG 1339
IMG 1338
IMG 1337
IMG 1336
IMG 1335
IMG 1334
IMG 1332
IMG 1331
IMG 1328
IMG 1328
IMG 1339

IMG 1330
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
nets will/are useless outdoors and a destroyer of trichomes when harvesteing..
get yourself 8ft T-bars or bigger to support branches that will need it..

electroguy

electroguy

Beautiful, happy plants. You must have humidity

Top Bottom