Nutes And Forums Are Stressing Me Out

• Thread starter ArmedGeek
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ArmedGeek

ArmedGeek

Like anything i do, i put in my time. I do the research, ask the questions and second guess myself the whole way through. In the end, it normally works out. But...it seems to always be a battle.

As a new grower, i understand the answers are out there if you dig enough. The problem is, you have to filter through so much BS to find these answers. You would think this type of culture would get along. One thing i have learned regarding forums, everyone has an opinion. That's great and all, but for a new grower, how do i know the information i'm getting is actually legit? I have over 2k in my first grow as far as equipment. This might sound petty to some, and high priced to others. It's a lot of money for me and i want to grow the best medicine i can.

When it comes to nutes, this is the BIGGEST struggle i have as far as getting proper information. While i like to follow the model KISS (keep it simple stupid) i'm dealing with limited room in a 4x4 tent so would like to use nutes that seriously give me the biggest and best yields.

I'm all for nutes that have some type of recipe with them, rather online or whatever. As a first time grower, this at the VERY least gives me a good idea of how much to use and when to use it. Mind you, i have to figure out my own ratios as far as how much to use in some regards during certain stages. BUT...at least i have the general idea. Technaflora is GREAT for this with there easy recipe guide. They have a whole step by step process to use. I would go this route, however i can't find many pictures toward the harvest to see the actual results from the product.

Advanced nutrients....I can actually find reviews and pictures regarding the harvest stages from the product. The problem is, on there web site when you actually go to "the nutrient calculator" it doesn't help ma person like me what so ever! As a young grass hopper, quite honestly it doesn't tell me sh*t! I have no "schedule to say" and when i say schedule i'm saying a good idea of at least which products to use, how much and when and then tailor my own needs for specific strengths.

When i read other peoples grow logs, they might use a mixture of multiple things and that's great. But...i can't really play along because i need extra guidance. I can't explain how stressful this is starting to be. Once i get this grow going, i'll have the time to actually dig in deep to the actual specifics of photosynthesis etc. From there, i'll be able to taylor my own.

In the mean time....Please help me out here people...I wanna hear from the true old school growers who probably understand the struggle.

Last edited:
Dan789

Dan789

Hey don't stress, life's tough enough without that, we were/are all in the same situation regarding nutrients. No one took anyone on this or any other site and said "this is the shit man, do this and it's guaranteed".
You know the axioms regarding the only things guaranteed are death and taxes, same here.
Don't punk out at this late stage, you've decided unlike many others that are just content to roll up to their local dispensaries and say how much will it cost. That routes open too, if this "strain" get too much.
Pick a regiment that someone's noted on their grow journal, use that, see how it works for you. If it's not the bomb, do something else. Many growers are here to help and offer encouragement along with maybe some sage advice along the way, others don't bother. There are so many variables no one in good conscience could say "this" is what to use for 100% of those asking for help.
Hope this helps, but don't get too churned up along the way. Chill.

ArmedGeek

ArmedGeek

Hey thanks man. I just hit a bowl a few times to take as step back and read your message. You couldn't be more right. I just have to really get involved with the community as far as forum and continue the journey of knowledge. I agree with you as far as there is no 100% "this" is what works.

I do have a couple questions. I see products out there that seem to add sugar type based stuff to add flavoring to the actual buds. Other people might use strait molasses or other things. What are your thoughts on this? If you flush a couple weeks prior to harvest, does adding this really matter as far as flavor?

What are your thoughts on organic vs chemical in soil? I could be way off here, but i like to think of it like this. "synthetic" I go to Walmart and buy a tomato, this tomato might be fat, and taste good but who knows. Organic, it's like going to the farmers market to buy the same thing which might in it's own way taste better since it's fresh. Of all the medicine i've smoked over the years, i don't know if it's been organic or synthetic to be truthful. I wish i could smoke both to see the difference myself but i won't be able to do this.

Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey

Premium Member
Supporter
Can really relate bro as I'm on a second run. It can get overwhelming sometimes, just don't freak out. I tend to overthink a lot myself since I'm learning new things. But what I've learned about nutes is always cut in half the amount any manufacturer schedule. Then work up to what your strain likes. And believe me I reach out to some awesome peeps at the farm when I get anxious. Enjoy the ride brother because if I'm learning anything it's that sometimes it's the growing that's the medicine.

SatansTaint

SatansTaint

If you are growing in soil, the best route is finding a well balanced super soil, and then all the nutes you need are right in the soil, and you just water them . You can make a simple tea with an off the shelf bat guano powder , feed them a couple times if you really feel the need to add stuff. Otherwise just feed them with plain water

dan1989

dan1989

Hey thanks man. I just hit a bowl a few times to take as step back and read your message. You couldn't be more right. I just have to really get involved with the community as far as forum and continue the journey of knowledge. I agree with you as far as there is no 100% "this" is what works.

I do have a couple questions. I see products out there that seem to add sugar type based stuff to add flavoring to the actual buds. Other people might use strait molasses or other things. What are your thoughts on this? If you flush a couple weeks prior to harvest, does adding this really matter as far as flavor?

What are your thoughts on organic vs chemical in soil? I could be way off here, but i like to think of it like this. "synthetic" I go to Walmart and buy a tomato, this tomato might be fat, and taste good but who knows. Organic, it's like going to the farmers market to buy the same thing which might in it's own way taste better since it's fresh. Of all the medicine i've smoked over the years, i don't know if it's been organic or synthetic to be truthful. I wish i could smoke both to see the difference myself but i won't be able to do this.

Just imagine that learning to grow will be one of the most rewarding and enjoyable journeys you will ever make, and once you've nailed it, it's a skill you'll never forget. If one person on this forum says they had an easy time learning to grow, with the nutrients and all the rest of it, you can consider that person the liar of the group. Try to enjoy the ride, you might have an AMAZING first harvest, then your problem will be trying to figure out what you did RIGHT. You have joined this forum, take it from me, take it from others, that's the best step you have taken so far. You will learn everything you need here to get started. The rest is up to you. Now go! Give an animal roar and say I'm the fucking boss!' Be prepared to make possibly some major mistakes, and enjoy the satisfying experience of realising that you actually understood exactly what went wrong, and know what to do next time. Try one of the 'easier' strains first so you're not fighting an uphill battle trying to grow something that experienced growers may work hard to control. I personally am a believer in having fewer plants and a slightly longer veg time, purely because I feel I would be unable to control too many plants at this amateur stage in my hobby. 8 plants would fit comfortably in your 4x4.

Dan789

Dan789

No extra sugar, just molasses (my opinion) but watch out as it lowers the shit out of the combined nutrient ph when you get them mixed & ready to administer.
Plants need good soil, adequate amount of light and nutrients. How we arrive at that is the vexing question. As a new grower you've got lots of great roll models on this site and others to follow. Figure out something that just like last years computers are soon eclipsed by the next new shit coming out. Roll with the changes, improvise, learn and in the end you'll be fielding questions just like these for others, down the road. Good travels.

Tat2420

Tat2420

Don't Believe all the Hype!!!
You'll spend thousands on all kinds of super duper nutes to grow donkey dick colas in half the time.
The most important thing in my opinion...is to have fun at first, keep it simple, record everything you do...details...take pictures.
Pay attention to the ladies...they will always tell you what they need.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The thing to understand about nutes is as long as they are complete and reasonably balanced all of them will work fine in potting mix.

But to pic a fertilizer properly you need to know your water quality and what medium you will be using.

If these 3 things balance you have an easy time ahead. No need to ph in limed or sea shell buffered soil. And a simple one part Grow formula is all that is needed for minerals and trace elements.

But you have to be able to read plants to know how much to give and it is still trial and error.

Nutes don't make yields. Good gardening does and it takes practice.

I think pro mix hp and dyna Grow foliage pro or a semi organic nute like Pure Blend Pro Grow like I use is the best way to learn this stuff with a good margin for error and they are easy to use.

Just bring up the seedlings. And then learn how to water and feed. The plants kind of do everything else.

I personally have moved on to amended soil but pro mix and the like are easier because you don't have to guess when to start feeding nutes. It's designed for fertigation. ( nutes fed with the water )

chillywilly

chillywilly

Greetings,
Uh, well one of the first thing to understand plants...
1. Germination
2. Vegitation (grow)
3. (Transition) Flowering- bloom
4. Finishing phase
Usually germination require little to no nutes, vegetative to bloom need nitrogen for leaf and stem growth, phosphorus and potassium for development(transition) of flowers...but plants in general use these base elements along with other MINERALS... cannabis as most PLANTS require base ELEMENTS...other than that, plants are coaxed(forced) to bloom at their own pace...I've seen most look for large yeilds on average plants, as according to it's own genetics many times does not happen...yeild or quality? HPS bulbs(2100 K(Kelvin) normally produces large flowers, but
DOES NOT assist or produce RESIN!!
higher Kelvin -4000+ is now needed...the active resin on cannabis is roughly 1-2% of total yeild, maybe more, but the rest is what the RESIN hangs on...most see leaf, calyx...size mean more area, so that may not be the true weight...yeild for indoors usually is methodology such as 20 +clones could be in the same space as 2 or 3+ plants, that's yeild...now quality of your product is what u want, depending on your reason to grow...I have currently over 50 grows inside, and 8 outside...don't fear mistakes that many, and we at some point all have in our quest...some plants require more, some less...know your strain, research:)
Extension agent at ure service
Master Gardeners Association
cw...

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Like anything i do, i put in my time. I do the research, ask the questions and second guess myself the whole way through. In the end, it normally works out. But...it seems to always be a battle.

As a new grower, i understand the answers are out there if you dig enough. The problem is, you have to filter through so much BS to find these answers. You would think this type of culture would get along. One thing i have learned regarding forums, everyone has an opinion. That's great and all, but for a new grower, how do i know the information i'm getting is actually legit? I have over 2k in my first grow as far as equipment. This might sound petty to some, and high priced to others. It's a lot of money for me and i want to grow the best medicine i can.

When it comes to nutes, this is the BIGGEST struggle i have as far as getting proper information. While i like to follow the model KISS (keep it simple stupid) i'm dealing with limited room in a 4x4 tent so would like to use nutes that seriously give me the biggest and best yields.

I'm all for nutes that have some type of recipe with them, rather online or whatever. As a first time grower, this at the VERY least gives me a good idea of how much to use and when to use it. Mind you, i have to figure out my own ratios as far as how much to use in some regards during certain stages. BUT...at least i have the general idea. Technaflora is GREAT for this with there easy recipe guide. They have a whole step by step process to use. I would go this route, however i can't find many pictures toward the harvest to see the actual results from the product.

Advanced nutrients....I can actually find reviews and pictures regarding the harvest stages from the product. The problem is, on there web site when you actually go to "the nutrient calculator" it doesn't help ma person like me what so ever! As a young grass hopper, quite honestly it doesn't tell me sh*t! I have no "schedule to say" and when i say schedule i'm saying a good idea of at least which products to use, how much and when and then tailor my own needs for specific strengths.

When i read other peoples grow logs, they might use a mixture of multiple things and that's great. But...i can't really play along because i need extra guidance. I can't explain how stressful this is starting to be. Once i get this grow going, i'll have the time to actually dig in deep to the actual specifics of photosynthesis etc. From there, i'll be able to taylor my own.

In the mean time....Please help me out here people...I wanna hear from the true old school growers who probably understand the struggle.
Less is more.. dont go by feed charts(cut in half).. dont buy the whole nutrient line.
Its a weed.. its been around longer than humans.. youll figure it out.

Once you figure out less is more.. you can use any nute brand with success. Wet stuff, dry stuff, synthetic, organic .. dont matter

dan1989

dan1989

Less is more.. dont go by feed charts(cut in half).. dont buy the whole nutrient line.
Its a weed.. its been around longer than humans.. youll figure it out.

Once you figure out less is more.. you can use any nute brand with success. Wet stuff, dry stuff, synthetic, organic .. dont matter

I was trying to remember who told me about using minimal nutrients and not using whole nute line, it was you! I get the part about minimal nutrients to keep the plant nice and healthy, I think you were the one who gave me the fat cat analogy, too well feed is not healthy etc. But how comes you advise not using whole nute lines?

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I was trying to remember who told me about using minimal nutrients and not using whole nute line, it was you! I get the part about minimal nutrients to keep the plant nice and healthy, I think you were the one who gave me the fat cat analogy, too well feed is not healthy etc. But how comes you advise not using whole nute lines?
Because nitrogen is the number 1 thing they try and sell noobs... whats the air made of?
Many brands will double over nutes. Youll buy a base veg and flower nute that has cal/mag in it... then they try and sell you another bottle of cal/mag on the side.(if youre in soil thats way overboard).
I know many people that have completely skipped veg nutes.. used flower nutes through veg and flower and done fine. Dumping more crap in a plant does not mean it will grow faster. Most people's problems come from ph locks... so theyll add more nutrients to a plant without fixing the problem first.
i dont do sweeteners or hardeners either... just start with a good light and good genetics.

If you have ever had a hold over clone or plant in a little solo cup for a month youll see what im talking about... if you keep the ph good the plant will live fine on just water.

This pot was grown with nothing. .. no flower nutes.. some tap water, dirt, sun.. thats it.

Screenshot 2017 05 08 02 34 27
Last edited:
dan1989

dan1989

Because nitrogen is the number 1 thing they try and sell noobs... whats the air made of?
Many brands will double over nutes. Youll buy a base veg and flower nute that has cal/mag in it... then they try and sell you another bottle of cal/mag on the side.(if youre in soil thats way overboard).
I know many people that have completely skipped veg nutes.. used flower nutes through veg and flower and done fine. Dumping more crap in a plant does not mean it will grow faster. Most people's problems come from ph locks... so theyll add more nutrients to a plant without fixing the problem first.
i dont do sweeteners or hardeners either... just start with a good light and good genetics.

If you have ever had a hold over clone or plant in a little solo cup for a month youll see what im talking about... if you keep the ph good the plant will live fine on just water.

This pot was grown with nothing. .. no flower nutes.. some tap water, dirt, sun.. thats it.

Am I safe to assume that this all applies to all grow mediums? Hydro included?

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Am I safe to assume that this all applies to all grow mediums? Hydro included?
Well like in coco and water buckets you might add more cal mag or this or that... but you NEVER need a whole nutrient line to grow good pot.

I dont remember what feed chart i was looking at last but in very clear bold letters on top it says (2 part series) ... i counted 10 friggen bottles

dan1989

dan1989

Well like in coco and water buckets you might add more cal mag or this or that... but you NEVER need a whole nutrient line to grow good pot.

I dont remember what feed chart i was looking at last but in very clear bold letters on top it says (2 part series) ... i counted 10 friggen bottles

And how about root stimulators? For veg growth I mean...

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
And how about root stimulators? For veg growth I mean...
Well... if your goal is organic weed and youre adding growth hormones then its not really organic. ... thats like running a plant full organic then adding terpinator and shit to it last week... not real organic.

When it comes to I3B clone dip is far from organic.. other things can be used for clone dip but I3B is just cheap and easy.

Boosting micor population is a great thing. Buying 10 bottles is not hahaha

JakeyBakey

JakeyBakey

Hey Armedgeek! And all other thcfarmers - thanks for starting this thread!
Ay like you all Im playing with nutrients, I got my environment pretty decent now so Its just nature Ill trying to tweak something more out of it hahaha
Does anybody ACTUALLY USE this or any type of soluable carbon and humic acid to boost flowers?
If you use this now or have used it Id love to hear about your results.

Much respect
Jake

20170508 170101
20170508 170116
chillywilly

chillywilly

Greetings,
Try Willards xxx dark water, the real deal, or Willards plant catalyst, lignite and silica, CAW...catalyst altered water carbon water he he...
cw

Latest posts

Top Bottom