Ocean Forest 2nd opinion

• Thread starter r3deyejedi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Blue Sox

I mix OF with Roots Organic at 60/40 or 50/50. The roots is a very perlite heavy mix and combining the two gets me a great soil mix that has nutrients and holds and drains water well. I am a closet grower so two bags of each usually lasts me two grows so not a bad deal.

Another poster says: "Fox Farm = Sucks Balls. Mix your own soil , and make teas."

Well if you live in an apartment mixing your own soil may not be a viable option. And for people in that kind of situation (like me), buying a bag of premixed soil makes the most sense. You always have to consider that not everyone is able to have huge setups, some of us are limited on space and supplies.

urbanfog

urbanfog

I like the OF and HF mixes, but have found I really like the dr earth lines too, Add a few extra goodies to either and go for it :)

Jboys3

Jboys3

I grow indoors and used to use FF Ocean Forest, mixed with coco coir and perlite. I no longer use it due to Fungal Gnats becoming too big of an issue. I switched to Advanced Sunshine Mix #4 and mix it with perlite. Fungal Gnats are gone, plants are doing fine. Had to add Perlite due to water retention issues using 15 gallon pots.

Danked

Danked

So basically... FFOF kicks ass And sucks balls...Happy Frog is decent... and Roots Organic and Sunshine mix #4 are good. I guess it's all a matter of preference, style of grow, etc etc.. so many variables come into play. It can be pretty confusing looking for advice on soils/soilless mixes on the internet because the opinions vary so greatly. What works great for one person might not work out at all for someone else.

ZONER

ZONER

I grow indoors and used to use FF Ocean Forest, mixed with coco coir and perlite. I no longer use it due to Fungal Gnats becoming too big of an issue. I switched to Advanced Sunshine Mix #4 and mix it with perlite. Fungal Gnats are gone, plants are doing fine. Had to add Perlite due to water retention issues using 15 gallon pots.
I second 2nd Jboys3, on using Advanced Sunshine Mix #4

Fox farms Soil less products on the west coast is better than their east coast factory products. Since your in the Michigan area I would definetly go with the sunshine mix, but that's just my 2 cents.

ZONER

Warrioreuel

Warrioreuel

I now use only Sunshine #4 also. Had great results with FFOF but the gnats that always came with it drove my crazy. In fact I see no difference at all in my grows. The Sunshine mix is available at my local nursery and is way cheaper than FF. Either way, if yo get gnats just use the sand trick, works great.

B

Blue Sox

I am running straight Roots organic this round and I have the worst gnat infestation I have ever had! Not sure if it's cause of the place I bought it from or if they came in the bag like that, but one thing is for sure I won't be using any more Roots for a long time. Should have just spent the extra $3 and got the Ocean Forest like I intended to

Danked

Danked

I've only grown with Roots Organic (original) one round.. but the picture you see in my avatar was grown in it, if that says anything. I liked the results, but I did have a SHIT ton of gnats... yellow sticky traps Full of them around the base...

RudyClosGrow

RudyClosGrow

What up farmers! So I went to my local grow shop today, which was handsomely stocked might I add, and asked one of the guys there what he recommended for an organic mix. He didn't hesitate to point me to the fox farm ocean forest. the included amendments and overall mix look appealing, but I've seen some not-so flattering reviews of fox farm regarding their quality control in some threads here.

what's the word on fox farm and are there any better options out there for a good value

Shalom, R3
Until FF cleans up their act and improves QC I would recommend recycling old soil as it is less potent for the newer more tender seedlings or using additives in older soil for full growth plants. Either way I would recommend sifting your soil with 3/8 - 1/2 mesh screen pan to get the large sticks and stones out. My sifted 2.5 gallon (1/2 c.f.) of Happy Frog gave me a large pile of rocks. When I emailed FF they were unapologetic and reneged on any sort of compensation.

PIC757 rocky soil 12 4 16
hdwjunior

hdwjunior

[QUOTst: 1035221, member: 2168"]Black Gold dirt.[/QUOTE]
Black Gold is bad right now know two guys just had to get rid of there dirt he called them and they claim they had no recollection of it being bad until 2 more growers had same bad experience my son dumpsterkush has a report on it on this site

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Wow! Lot of differing opinions here.

I use Ocean Forest from seed/ clone to flower. I have found that I need to add about 20% large chunky perlite and break up any clumps in the bags. I do it as I transfer it to a big Rubbermaid tote I keep it in. Otherwise I tend to have some issues with deficiency and lock out from bad drainage about the time they are half way through stretch and have started nutes.

I use .3 ec. Well water from a deep well. It is very important to know your water and how it reacts with your soil and nutes. Mine has a ph of over 8.0 but relatively low alkalinity but enough calcium to balance the nutes so the oyster shell buffer is sufficient in my garden. I use no ph adjusters. The ph down acidified my soil after some time.

I transplant up from 16oz. Party cups to 1 then 3 gallon and never need to feed even 7 weeks of veg. Very convenient for my perpetual garden with plants in all stages to only need water in veg.

RudyClosGrow

RudyClosGrow

All very good points with different soils, but once you get good at it you'll find the right mix for yourself. I have a big problem with FF Happy Frog because I don't think you should be paying for so many rocks. In previous post I included a pic of the rocks I sifted from less than 1/2 bag of HF. Now I experiment with many other soils, but starting the second full week in veg cycle I exclusively use a coir Pro Mix with soil (50/50 mix). Using coco indoors makes a much better lighter blend with less pest problems (soil/fungus nats) than some other soils. Happy hunting

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

All very good points with different soils, but once you get good at it you'll find the right mix for yourself. I have a big problem with FF Happy Frog because I don't think you should be paying for so many rocks. In previous post I included a pic of the rocks I sifted from less than 1/2 bag of HF. Now I experiment with many other soils, but starting the second full week in veg cycle I exclusively use a coir Pro Mix with soil (50/50 mix). Using coco indoors makes a much better lighter blend with less pest problems (soil/fungus nats) than some other soils. Happy hunting

Lots of un-composted sticks and bark too in happy frog. The company markets it as an alternative that is more affordable. I stick to Ocean Forest for amended potting mix.

I think the gnats are more from storage than production. I have never seen one from many bags I buy that are stored inside a store right from the delivery truck.

And overwatering brings them and we like to blame products rather than ourselves. ;-)

dumpstergrower

dumpstergrower

I would use 707 or any Roots Soil I recently purchased skids of black gold wit some of the worst results they even laughed at me when I called them they admitted they are having QC problems ffof is ok if you mix with Happy frog and add lime to it I've had success with it vibes hope that helps

RudyClosGrow

RudyClosGrow

Lots of un-composted sticks and bark too in happy frog. The company markets it as an alternative that is more affordable. I stick to Ocean Forest for amended potting mix.

I think the gnats are more from storage than production. I have never seen one from many bags I buy that are stored inside a store right from the delivery truck.

And overwatering brings them and we like to blame products rather than ourselves. ;-)
Yes, overwatering a common problem, but using a coco mix solves that problem. I've heard lots of good things on Ocean Forest Mix, but I'm still experimenting with a coco/perlite mix during veg and organic soil/coco mix during bloom.

RudyClosGrow

RudyClosGrow

Unfortunately I like to root clones hydroponically, but then transpotting in soil is a problem the first week with fertilizer burn on sensitive roots. First I tried peat, but I found too many dry pockets trying not to over water. Coco seems to have solved my problem in the first trans-potting to veg. After that I begin to mix in more organic soil till bloom cycle and still no problems yet.

Top Bottom