Odor origin

• Thread starter Fat Freddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy

Hopefully this is the right to place pose this question.

As my plants mature I have noted their odor.
To me it is a wonderful scent.
Can anyone tell me if this scent is emitted by females, males or both?
Normally if a plant is looking like a male I remove it asap, thus I have no way to
compare male vs female.:anim_09:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Both, if of good genetics, should effing STINK.

Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy

Well this one qualifies for good genes. wooot.
Got the beans from santa but they were unknown strains.
going to be interesting.

M

mellokitty

try googling 'terpenes'; these are the elements that make up essential oils (yes, even cannabis). from what i understand it's still under hot debate whether the varying terpene combinations of different strains interact with the thc and cbd's to create all those fantabulously different highs. some noted ones that are found in cannabis are limonene (gives that basil/citronella smell), pinene (guess what it smells like? ;p) and pineol.

Melvan

Melvan

In the end, you're smelling a flower. The purpose of the flower having scent is to attract the insects or birds they use for pollination in the wild, depending on what relationship the plant has with its pollinators its going to evolve a scent that attracts them.

Skunkier, earthier smelling strains are evolved to attract the flies, gnats, etc. that like carrion, sweeter fruiter mj evolved to attract butterflies, bees, etc. Ain't Mother Nature grand!

The two should have equal scent to their flowers when left to grow to maturity as both male and female plants need to attract the pollinators.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
So, wait, are you saying that cannabis is a plant that requires active pollinators (aka biotic agent) and not wind, the way corn is pollinated? I disagree, I've seen nothing about Mary that indicates she requires biotic agents to be pollinated.

Not to mention--what about flowers that require active pollinators that don't have an odor? What about those that use coloring as a signal for active pollinators instead of scent?

Cannabis stinks in large part because humans have selected her in such a manner as to make her stink. I don't think this is just my opinion, though it is my opinion.

Melvan

Melvan

I agree totally that air also contributes to pollination, no doubt.

But in an evolutionary sense, flowers develop scent to attract pollinators. I also agree that we have bred them to be stinkier than they ever would have bred themselves to be in nature.

I know that I've seen many types of "pollinator" type insects feeding from the flowers in my outdoor grows. When I want to guarantee seed from an outdoor grow for future use I always make sure I plant my male/female close enough for the insects to go from one to the other, and I've seen it happening.

I've also had my girls make seeds from some unknown pollen carried on the wind from another growers patch. It's amazing how mother nature builds in all these back ups.

Top Bottom