Og Kush Smells Like Fresh Pineapple Juice

• Thread starter MamaBear
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MamaBear

I like to pop a couple seeds of something new every year just to keep things interesting and broaden my experience. I had a few OG Kush seeds. Only 1 sprouted but she's a beautiful, healthy and very indica-looking plant. About 4 weeks into flower so the buds are just starting to pack on some size. Looks like fuzzy green/white golf balls right now but they are getting bigger/longer every day. Anyway, they are starting to really smell. The thing is that the smell is full-on fresh pineapple juice. Not much smell till now, kinda fruity/citrus if you rub the stems or squeeze a bud but last day or 2 the pineapple is almost overwhelming. I'm used to more of a pine scent. Is this a pheno or something else?

Power OG

Power OG

What breeder are the seeds from? Could be pheno could be OG hybrid with more phenotypic traits from the parental generations.Pure OG' typically smell like earth, hint of pine or lemon depending on cut, but mostly earth, the smell & taste really come out in the drying & cure with OG's in my experience.

M

MamaBear

Dinafem. I don't usually like fem'd seeds but figured I'd give a go. Their site says it's: Lemon Thai/Pakistani x Chemdog. So, it could be just about anything, right? Oh well, she smells great and looks like the buds are gonna be huge. Will be fun to try when it's done and cured.

str8smokn

str8smokn

Any pics?
It does sound tasty though. Who doesn't like fresh pineapple juice?
STR8

M

MamaBear

Will take some pics in the morning - too dark out now. Wish I could post the smell too! Do they make digital scratch-n-sniff yet?

M

MamaBear

About 4 weeks in flower - still got 4-5 weeks left.
000 0034 000 0036 000 0038 000 0039 000 0041 000 0043

M

MamaBear

Checking out all the girls today, especially this one since she's the only 1 and so different.

Bud formation is very much like OG Kush: fat, super-dense and ball-shaped.

The main cola is taller than a Pepsi can, not quite as big around yet (if it were trimmed)

I can tell she's moving into the last stage of flowering - really giving it her all. This next few weeks is gonna be exciting!

Trics are getting very dense and I see they are mostly milky already. Will probably wait till I see some amber before chopping though. I think 2-3 weeks should be about right. I never chop on a schedule though. THEY ARE READY WHEN THEY ARE READY!

Rubbing a stem, still a fruity/citrus smell. Buds are still overpowering pineapple but are getting a very cherry undertone. I gotta say, cherry-pineapple is a great combination!

Clipped 1 of those tiny lower side shoots a few days ago - not quite woody yet and looks like it's gonna root.

Would grow this one again just for the smell! If she smokes half as good as she smells I most likely will.

Took a test nug yesterday, quick dry in the microwave. Smoking green weed usually gives me a headache but this didn't.
Very calming, great muscle-relaxer (which I need) but no head buzz. Should be perfect for a daytime medicine. I've been looking for something exactly like this - GDP isn't so good for daytime!

Will post pics when I harvest.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Sounds and looks promising. Everything i had from Dinafem was. And I have some of those beans in the fridge to pop so can't wait to see this one finished :D

Keep it green!

M

MamaBear

Did some serious looking at her today. Looks like she's almost done- EARLY! Only been about 7 weeks in flower. Buds are fat and not putting on too many more new white pistils. Most are turning red/brown.
Trics are showing some amber but not enough for me yet. Will check her again this weekend.
She's still reeking of fresh pineapple but it's getting much more complex, sorta like over-ripe pineapple with an earthy smell coming in.
Some extra info for those interested . . .
Side branches are not very long and she's having no trouble holding up those heavy buds.
I let her grow natural (no pruning or training) and she's only about 5'-6' tall in a 5-gal pot.
She grew straight and strong with even and short node spacing.
She did NOT hermie.
Not very leafy on the plant and buds are not very leafy either - should be a snap to trim.
She was putting out huge 9-point fan leaves before flowering started. Biggest leaves I've ever seen! There was a couple that had 11-points.
Planted seed early May so she had 3 months (12 weeks) veg time. Flowering started beginning of August.
Our water is alkaline and she showed no signs of ph problems. One of the healthiest plants in the greenhouse this year!
Daytime temps over 100° many days this summer and she had no problems.
She's one tough lady!

M

MamaBear

Chopped her this evening. Got some super dense, heavy buds. Top is really good size and most of the side buds are large enough to fill your hand. Wish all my plants grew like this! And yeah, I'm not very good at trimming. I don't like cutting off all those little sugar leaves - too much good stuff on them! I miss that pineapple smell in the greenhouse already.

000 0052 000 0053 000 0055

EyeC

EyeC

Looks very tasty. :) Nice harvest and trim. I think many people overdo the trimming. Your work looks good.

M

MamaBear

They've been hanging for a couple days now and the earthy smell is really coming out but the pineapple is still there. I'm gonna guess it IS OGKush, just a pineapple pheno. Haven't heard of anyone else getting this pheno so don't have anything to go on.

I'm looking forward to the smoke report too! Drying/curing is always the hardest time for me. Like a kid at Christmas - I can see all those presents under the tree but can't open them yet!
I hang for 5-7 days then put in jars with lids OFF for another 5-7 days. It's too dry here and this helps slow down the drying. Then the lids go on and I burp them for another week or 2 till they are just right. Ideally, I like to cure at least 1-2 months but always end up sneaking a bud before then. I like a nice long cure to really bring out the flavors/smells.
I've always wondered what the pro's do. I buy a bit from the local rec. shops and their stuff is always super dry, like it's been freeze-dried. It crumbles to dust when you break it up. My stuff stays sticky and I like it that way.

M

MamaBear

000 0056
First, let me say that buds are slow-dried (almost 2 weeks) but not cured yet. I feel this is a good time to “test” since it won’t get any worse than at this point – usually much better/stronger. I like a good long cure. But many people don’t do a long cure and jump right on it soon as it’s dry. So in keeping apples with apples . . .

Finished Buds:

Final dry weight: about 2.5 oz.
Not much smell (light herbal scent) until you crack them open. Sticky sweet pineapple on your fingers.
Beautiful to look at. Perfect buds with red/orange hairs. (photo is not very good)

Smoke:
Used in water pipe (glass bong)
This is the smoothest smoke I’ve ever had. No really, I took a 2nd thinking I didn’t get a good one first time ‘round. Nope, still smooth as glass.
Not much on inhale (very smooth) and nice pineapple-lemon on exhale

Effect:
Starts off slow with a little euphoria and mild muscle relaxing in my neck. About 15 minutes later, the world slows down and it brings my racing mind to a halt. No couch-lock. I can definitely get things done as long as I don’t have to think too much. My mind is a little fuzzy and algebra is out of the question but general chores around the house are not a problem. Not sleepy, just very relaxed.

Muscle tension and pain in my neck and shoulders is gone. Plantar fasciitis pain in my heel is gone too. All my joints feel a bit fuzzy and that’s a good thing (bursitis in both knees).

No munchies. Felt a slight pang of hunger in the beginning but it faded quickly.

Eyes are not effected and no dry-mouth.

Lasted almost 2 hours and wore off clean.

Review:
Rec users would say she’s a little weak and I agree it is not super strong. However, if you are looking for medicine . . .
You can smoke this all day and still get stuff done. It’s gentle, calming, relaxing and does kill pain really well.
Definitely anti-anxiety.
Overall, I like it and will grow her again.

Top Bottom