Oh My God, He Turned It INSIDE OUT!!!

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Am I nuts? Or, does an inside-out tree make sense to you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
tweedy

tweedy

At the moment my vertical trellis is made of 4' x 2" mesh field fencing. That makes it four feet high and I cut two lengths 6'3" long, connected them at their ends and made a cylinder. 12.5'/pi = 4' diameter. 12.5' x 4' tall = 50ft².

I'm quite sure my 1kW bulb is lighting it very well, indeed- it's even causing a touch of light burn on some leaves directly across from it. What I want a mover for is to spread that intensity up and down the cylinder so every part of the plant gets it- and conversely to eliminate hot spots.

Have a 1000 watter hanging vert in a 4x4 and I agree, its plenty of intensity when you can get it trapped like that but I do agree with you on the mover, that'd just be perfect.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Have a 1000 watter hanging vert in a 4x4 and I agree, its plenty of intensity when you can get it trapped like that but I do agree with you on the mover, that'd just be perfect.

..and that's exactly why I'm doing it. Plus, having a light mover makes for a lot more lighting possibilities and different shapes of trellis.

Taller shapes will get more out of a given amount of floor space, and they need light movers the most.

tweedy

tweedy

..and that's exactly why I'm doing it. Plus, having a light mover makes for a lot more lighting possibilities and different shapes of trellis.

Taller shapes will get more out of a given amount of floor space, and they need light movers the most.
For sure. I have a 4x4x7 tent I test things in and I am trying to see the point of diminishing return in terms of smaller foot print plants but same light intensity as standard trees. Going to do 1600 watts with the plants going up the walls. Should be fun. :)

ttystikk

ttystikk

For sure. I have a 4x4x7 tent I test things in and I am trying to see the point of diminishing return in terms of smaller foot print plants but same light intensity as standard trees. Going to do 1600 watts with the plants going up the walls. Should be fun. :)

Interesting test. I'd be interested in a back to back with one thouie one a mover.

W

Wyckoff

Can't you mount a light mover on a wall with some pulleys or hooks on the ceiling. This way the force is still pulling the motor in contact with the track. I'm probably missing something but I like thought experiments.

tweedy

tweedy

Interesting test. I'd be interested in a back to back with one thouie one a mover.
Yup. Theyre currently about 14x14x7 and taking on a heart shape or imagine a skinny wasted lady shrugging her shoulders upwards (shoulders being the tops that are getting away from me) with how I've trained em. Should make a nice little triangle of foliage around the bulb. Or a horse shoe depending on how I position them and how they fill out the tent when flipped.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Can't you mount a light mover on a wall with some pulleys or hooks on the ceiling. This way the force is still pulling the motor in contact with the track. I'm probably missing something but I like thought experiments.

There's a million little motors out there, I just have to find something that will do what I want.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Hey TY how much vertical area do you see needing to light? The reason I ask is that the VPAR housing is 36" and 34" of that is lamp emitting in a 300 degree pattern. As you've already noted the ends will never get as much light as the center so unless there is a compelling reason to raise and lower lights I think you'd be better off hanging one or two of these VPAR lights vertically (they chain together with one on top the other) and perhaps just rotating them slowly by 30 degree in either direction of center. Alot less moving parts if you have to do it at all.

Perhaps just one gear motor, picture a locomotive wheel but spinning slowly in one direction that drives a bunch of these verticals by pushing and pulling them so they move slowly one direction and then reverse direction. Since you're not fighting gravity like a system would that has to raise and lower the entire light one could use a low hp motor to accomplish this. crap now I gotta go build one of these!

You've just fine a good job of explaining my turntable idea; pulleys attached to a pin on one side would go to every cylinder in the room, all would work from the one unit. Could even arrange the lines in a radial pattern to cancel out the pull, them the motor would only be overcoming the friction in the system.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Since it's a new thread about a new style of growing for me, you'll just have to wait for them, like the rest of us.

I've got pics of old grows, didn't want to post them up for fear of confusion, but there is a point I can make with some.

This pic is the good side of my best run, it was about 4 in a 7 x 3 1/2' trellis under 2kW;
View attachment 359285

This pic is the 'bad' side; same run, same lighting, these were in the same rdwc, the only difference was that I let the tops get tall. This side was only good for 2 1/2;
View attachment 359286

The whole run, under 4kW of sealed n vented w/ magnetic ballasts was 6 1/2;
View attachment 359287

A couple of close ups with a really lousy cellphone camera;
View attachment 359288 View attachment 359289

@sixstring Happy now? Sheesh! Some people! :p

So one point here is that better control over the canopy less to serious productivity gains. Another point is that my personal best is 4 under 2kW in a 25ft² trellis. This is important, because the panels I'm using in my vertical grows are also 25ft², allowing for direct comparison.

It's my belief that I can get 4 from a 25ft² vertical panel, and therefore a total of 8 from my vertical trellis with two such panels. I'm not getting it this run because my plants were too small going in, but dialing in the runs should result in some very high yield per watt and per ft² numbers.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
At the moment my vertical trellis is made of 4' x 2" mesh field fencing. That makes it four feet high and I cut two lengths 6'3" long, connected them at their ends and made a cylinder. 12.5'/pi = 4' diameter. 12.5' x 4' tall = 50ft².

I'm quite sure my 1kW bulb is lighting it very well, indeed- it's even causing a touch of light burn on some leaves directly across from it. What I want a mover for is to spread that intensity up and down the cylinder so every part of the plant gets it- and conversely to eliminate hot spots.

Why dont you just double stack 2 600s?

ttystikk

ttystikk

Why dont you just double stack 2 600s?

Hee hee- you took the words right outta my mouth, brother! I'm getting Gavita 1kW el remote ballasts, splitters and running two Greenpower 600W bulbs at 1150W total. I will start with one; if I like it I'll do it across the line.

I'm still playing financial catch up so I don't have the coin at the moment. Maybe a late Christmas present to myself...

Then perhaps I can run a head to head between this and a mover and see which approach works better... and then, if doing both is any better or not. It's going to be fun!

Last edited:
sixstring

sixstring

Since it's a new thread about a new style of growing for me, you'll just have to wait for them, like the rest of us.

I've got pics of old grows, didn't want to post them up for fear of confusion, but there is a point I can make with some.

This pic is the good side of my best run, it was about 4 in a 7 x 3 1/2' trellis under 2kW;
View attachment 359285

This pic is the 'bad' side; same run, same lighting, these were in the same rdwc, the only difference was that I let the tops get tall. This side was only good for 2 1/2;
View attachment 359286

The whole run, under 4kW of sealed n vented w/ magnetic ballasts was 6 1/2;
View attachment 359287

A couple of close ups with a really lousy cellphone camera;
View attachment 359288 View attachment 359289

@sixstring Happy now? Sheesh! Some people! :p

So one point here is that better control over the canopy less to serious productivity gains. Another point is that my personal best is 4 under 2kW in a 25ft² trellis. This is important, because the panels I'm using in my vertical grows are also 25ft², allowing for direct comparison.

It's my belief that I can get 4 from a 25ft² vertical panel, and therefore a total of 8 from my vertical trellis with two such panels. I'm not getting it this run because my plants were too small going in, but dialing in the runs should result in some very high yield per watt and per ft² numbers.
wow that cellphone really puts the foxtail to those buds lol,what strain is that growing so loose and foxtails for days?
im gunna double your yield by only making 2 changes bro,that strain and your vdp hehehe.get you some good kush and drop that rh to about 40% and your weight will double:cool:
all that dry yellow leaf wont show up on a scale,but thc resin/oils on rock hard buds will because they wont dry up and disappear in the rack like water does,real talk bro.turnin tricks one trich at a time :greedy:

I was hoping to see some shots like this with all that knowledge :snaphappy:
these just came down,few more days in the racks and boom,click,pow !!!
Gdk  rrx2 001
Gdk  rrx2 004
Gdk  rrx2 005
Gdk  rrx2 007
Gdk  rrx2 009

ttystikk

ttystikk

wow that cellphone really puts the foxtail to those buds lol,what strain is that growing so loose and foxtails for days?
im gunna double your yield by only making 2 changes bro,that strain and your vdp hehehe.get you some good kush and drop that rh to about 40% and your weight will double:cool:
all that dry yellow leaf wont show up on a scale,but thc resin/oils on rock hard buds will because they wont dry up and disappear in the rack like water does,real talk bro.turnin tricks one trich at a time :greedy:

I was hoping to see some shots like this with all that knowledge :snaphappy:
these just came down,few more days in the racks and boom,click,pow !!!
View attachment 359409 View attachment 359410 View attachment 359411 View attachment 359412 View attachment 359413

That looks really nice and of course I've produced plenty of it, just not in large batches. Yet.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Hey
Hee hee- you took the words right outta my mouth, brother! I'm getting Gavita 1kW el remote ballasts, splitters and running two Greenpower 600W bulbs at 1150W total. I will start with one; if I like it I'll do it across the line.

I'm still playing financial catch up so I don't have the coin at the moment. Maybe a late Christmas present to myself...

Then perhaps I can run a head to head between this and a mover and see which approach works better... and then, if doing both is any better or not. It's going to be fun!
tty I wanted to tell you the GP 600s actually run at 660W. You may want to get 2 ballasts and actually run 1320w instead of 1150...

ttystikk

ttystikk

Hey

tty I wanted to tell you the GP 600s actually run at 660W. You may want to get 2 ballasts and actually run 1320w instead of 1150...

Hmmmm- learn something new every day... I'll have to look at this more carefully, I like the extra 15% power, not sure I like having to buy so many ballasts.

sixstring

sixstring

Hey bro I'm not sure what was said after my last post in that other thread and I don't care.i really was sincere about my offer to gift you some of my crosses.they have been a game changer for me and it all came as a gift from others so it makes me feel good to help others as well.couple shots of the girl I just took down while we were all conversing lol.ill toss up some more in my thread later with the other 2 pheno's, peace

ttystikk

ttystikk

Hey bro I'm not sure what was said after my last post in that other thread and I don't care.i really was sincere about my offer to gift you some of my crosses.they have been a game changer for me and it all came as a gift from others so it makes me feel good to help others as well.couple shots of the girl I just took down while we were all conversing lol.ill toss up some more in my thread later with the other 2 pheno's, peace

It all got deleted, so much the better. I don't like controversy, especially the manufactured kind.

I said that I would be happy to accept your gift of strains and I'll offer whatever of mine you might be interested in. That 'MK' for instance- @putembk ran it and liked it, so don't judge the strain on just that run, lol.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Here's a sneak peek at my veg tent. She's a little overgrown at the moment, owing to an unscheduled delay in the usual progression.

Top/back is prebloom veg under 1kW mh, obviously more than ready. Bottom left under 400W hps is the stage that feeds it, and the youngest stage is bottom right, under the 130W LED;
20131219 162318

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom