Oh My God, He Turned It INSIDE OUT!!!

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Am I nuts? Or, does an inside-out tree make sense to you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ttystikk

ttystikk

I've no doubt it would work, but I doubt the practicality in today's...environment.

Exactly how I feel, hence my decision to stick with my original design.

The only reason I can find for the rotating garden concept is this whole idea of confusing the plant's hormones by scrambling is sense of up and down.

What if that turns out not to be the reason they're so efficient?

One Flip

One Flip

The one I was talking about earlier was a top drip gi grow. Held around 324 4" cubes.. Looks like they sell smaller ones now.. That was back in like 04'... Wow. Time flys. You can see from the photos how much smaller your surface area would be if you had ft long subs in there.. And Not the 11.5 inches subway try's to sell ya!

ttystikk

ttystikk

This is the only vertical cylinder style system I could find, and I couldn't find this commercially available anywhere.
Vertical hydroponics system

One Flip

One Flip

How long will take you to get a little prototype rolling? In the meantime you want to kill some time and talk about lights, sealed rooms and cooling? Or I can see ya over there in the best sealed room & the chiller vs ac threads.

ttystikk

ttystikk

How long will take you to get a little prototype rolling? In the meantime you want to kill some time and talk about lights, sealed rooms and cooling? Or I can see ya over there in the best sealed room & the chiller vs ac threads.

I will talk shop until your ears fall off.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Very nice bro, love the setup...reminds me Jbonez and he kills it in those type setups

ttystikk

ttystikk

Very nice bro, love the setup...reminds me Jbonez and he kills it in those type setups

Thank you, Sir! Coming from you, those words mean a lot. You ran a thread a few years back (time flies when you're growing for fun!) about different lighting setups you had tried in the past. That thread was a major inspiration for me to go looking for better lighting solutions in the first place, and helped build my understanding of light placement and pressure on plants in general.

In a few days when I have some spare time (as if!), I'll get the Pogo mover put together and post up some pics- maybe even a video, if I can figure out how to do it.

One Flip

One Flip

I will talk shop until your ears fall off.

I was originally going to say "I don't know how you have time to build anything because every thread I read your in there somewhere" :)

In some of your earlier posts I read that you like to vent your hoods and run a chiller to cool your room & water. I really liked this approach especially if your box is limited on power.

On larger scale grows people normally use 1k non vented. In most cases they have access to a lot of power and need to cover a lot of space.. Although I did see a 20 light 600 set up (I believe bc rocker) which makes a lot of sense to me.

It seems like if I had the room and power I would set up 6's over 1k's due to the efficiency and heat..

Now..I know the 1k's have a more penetration & can turn out a little more meaty product. I've used both. But even with growing trees if you prune right 6's work. If I get funky sized spaces sometimes ill use 1k's. but it usually depends on the room..

I guess what I'm getting at is..if your going to do a 30k setup and had the room and power available.. Would you rock 1k's vented.. 1k's bare or 6's.. Is the cost that much greater cooling 1k's bare when it comes down to it?

Choosing between bare & vented 1k's.. I would think bare would probably be the easiest considering equipment and setup costs..

Venting 30 lights would be a pain in the ass.. Would it be worth the extra work and maintenance considering the monthly savings?

With 30k watts you can run 50 6's.. would 50 6's be easier to cool than 30k's?

I know we cant get that technical because a lot of things come into play like room size / medium / cooling ect. I guess this is more of a question about whats more efficient in large grows if you had the space and power available. IMO, On a small scale a 600 set up seems more efficient.. How come this doesn't seem to translate to the 50 and 60 light grows.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Anybody ever thought of using some kind of motor with a cam and a rod on to make your vert light go up and down the cylinder?

ttystikk

ttystikk

Responding to Oneflip's questions:

Considering the thread you're discussing this in, my answer is 'none of the above', since I'm convinced that the way we have all been told to use the lights is wrong.

If you want to do a flat canopy grow, there are people here on the Farm who are Killin' it with both 600w and 1000w setups. Those with 600w are generally going for better area coverage and can handle less depth of penetration. The tree guys need all the penetration they can get.

My concept literally turns this whole conversation on its head, by turning the canopy vertical and rolling it up around the bulb. I chose 1000w for my first shot at this because I believe it to be more forgiving in my application; that depth of penetration makes it harder to screw up on the outside diameter specification- and therefore the light pressure on the trellis.

What you are really asking is a question of efficiency. The two methods you're asking me to choose from amount to choosing between a Mustang and a Camaro. By comparison, I'm working on an F-15... We'll see how it flies soon enough!

ttystikk

ttystikk

Anybody ever thought of using some kind of motor with a cam and a rod on to make your vert light go up and down the cylinder?

LOL As a matter of fact, I did, just the other night! The motor can be the AC motor (and built in gear reduction!) that runs the carousel in your microwave oven, these commonly turn one complete revolution in one minute. An eccentric cam pushing a rod up and down should work fine. As a bonus, no power supply is needed because these motors run on 120v AC. The only issue is overhead clearance for the rod, which is in short supply in my basement.

ttystikk

ttystikk

My ninja....lol

Yeah- if I thought the bulb could handle hopping up n down 7000 times a minute, I'd be all over it! For now, let's keep your ninja in the garage, parked next to the mountain bike I didn't cut up for this project, lol!

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
You get this fiquired out TYY perhaps u could sell some to a certain female farmer :cigar:;);)

ttystikk

ttystikk

You get this fiquired out TYY perhaps u could sell some to a certain female farmer :cigar:;);)

It's a promise- ask my friends, I don't make them lightly. And another promise: a Farm discount on the units, especially deep for the first few model iterations. After all, I could overpay some engineer who doesn't know shit about growing, or I could let my friends here test them... I already know whose input I would trust and value more!

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
It's a deal ....Good marketing also.. I always have a special spot somewhere in the garden..Much appreciated

ttystikk

ttystikk

It's a deal ....Good marketing also.. I always have a special spot somewhere in the garden..Much appreciated

The pleasure is all mine. I get as much of a kick out of seeing other people try my designs and use my equipment as I do from making a nice meal for a bunch of friends.

Really, even more than smoking weed, designing stuff and making things better is what I live for; it's who I am.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
The pleasure is all mine. I get as much of a kick out of seeing other people try my designs and use my equipment as I do from making a nice meal for a bunch of friends.

Really, even more than smoking weed, designing stuff and making things better is what I live for; it's who I am.
My father loved to build, wasn't anything he couldn't do ....... He never had Alzhirmers either ,they say it's an active mind ... So i am taking a chance and believing nothing has effected u.. LOL Thats a wonderful thing to do.High 5

ttystikk

ttystikk

My father loved to build, wasn't anything he couldn't do ....... He never had Alzhirmers either ,they say it's an active mind ... So i am taking a chance and believing nothing has effected u.. LOL Thats a wonderful thing to do.High 5

No alzheimer's here... yet, lol. I do have a few secrets to my improbably youthful appearance, but those involve sex magic with young women...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom