Old Leaves Yellowing, Brown Tips, Curling Up

• Thread starter Matt F
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Matt F

Hey everyone, I have six plants I am growing outfoor from seed. (California) They are Sour Diesel. (2 and 1/2 months from seed.)
So it has almost beeen 3 months since I transferred them into these pots, the soil and fertilizer I used was half patio plus and half black magic coco mix. Just recently the lower leaves have started to yellow, brown at the tips and is starting to happen to the leaves above. One of the plants has green veins and brown tips. They have started to curl upward. This past week it was over 100 degrees Fahrenheit and has mostly been in the mid 70's to 90's. I made sure to give them plenty of water. I've been reading up on nutrient deficiencies but is hard to pinpoint exactly what is going on. I'd really appreciate any tips or advice!

Old leaves yellowing brown tips curling up
Old leaves yellowing brown tips curling up 2
Old leaves yellowing brown tips curling up 3
Old leaves yellowing brown tips curling up 4
Old leaves yellowing brown tips curling up 5
Old leaves yellowing brown tips curling up 6
M

Matt F

going for K def
That definitely seems like a possibility after the heat wave we just had. Do you have any tips for this? It's cooler outside below 84 for the next week but it was 104 F outside. Thanks!

B

Burned Haze

If you look at first pic ( I see some egg dots, looks like spidermites to me ), l, get a 60x-100x scope and check under the leaves for spider mites . They might be sucking your nutes from the leaves .

Spray 100% of plant and make sure not miss any of it , every 3 days for 3 times and then I would suggest check every day for infection ( spray 7 days for preventive after )

M

Matt F

If you look at first pic ( I see some egg dots, looks like spidermites to me ), l, get a 60x-100x scope and check under the leaves for spider mites . They might be sucking your nutes from the leaves .

Spray 100% of plant and make sure not miss any of it , every 3 days for 3 times and then I would suggest check every day for infection ( spray 7 days for preventive after )

I think you may be right. I see small black specs underneath the fan leaves. Do you have any suggestions on what kind of treatment I can safely use? Thanks!!

Cannafeld

Cannafeld

yep looks like u got SM.. I would start over in this point.
but for the record I don't think they r the reason for the mention problem..soil ph should b check.
do u fertlz?
n tip for the nxt round...less water, the purpel stains shows it over watering.

GL

BudBogart

BudBogart

Hey everyone, I have six plants I am growing outfoor from seed. (California) They are Sour Diesel. (2 and 1/2 months from seed.)
So it has almost beeen 3 months since I transferred them into these pots, the soil and fertilizer I used was half patio plus and half black magic coco mix. Just recently the lower leaves have started to yellow, brown at the tips and is starting to happen to the leaves above. One of the plants has green veins and brown tips. They have started to curl upward. This past week it was over 100 degrees Fahrenheit and has mostly been in the mid 70's to 90's. I made sure to give them plenty of water. I've been reading up on nutrient deficiencies but is hard to pinpoint exactly what is going on. I'd really appreciate any tips or advice!

Don't trip on what the bottom leaves are doing, but focus on how the top growth is doing. On this last picture, for instance, you have some small yellowing leaves on the bottom, but a very healthy looking top growth. With a top growth like that I wouldn't want to change things. I haven't looked closely at the rest of the plants yet.

V

vacaville

Reason I asked if they were recent pics is that there age doesn't match there size. At this point, in my opinion, you should get a few LED lights and finish indoors or cut bait . It looks as if there growth was stunted. This happens and it's important to get seeds from a reputable seed bank. I'd recommend going with clones next yr. I'd also suggest not using clay or plastic pots, instead use fabric pots. Your soil looks good actually as does the tops of your plants. Additionally you have them located in a great spot with plenty of sun. If you decide to go indoors with them consult on the Indoor Forum. I am not an expert nor am I a master gardener, however were in week 5 of the flowering stage and your plants are behind. Remarks are not ment as discouragement only my opinion.

Cannafeld

Cannafeld

OK bud...just realize u mention 2.5 m from seed....
something is def wrong, they should have been big enough by now, and its Sep - meaning veg stage should b switched to flowering...
Not much of good news from my end..if u ask me..there's pH issue + SM + incorrect watering n/or fertlz = ur ladies r stuck!
if u wan to save'em ... spray them n take care of the spider mites.
move them to new bigger pot...soil shouldn't b till the top.
water only when needed, when u pickup the pot n its damn light..
check the pH in the water with the fertlz, make sure its around 6.5
bare in mind u will harvest at winter....good suggestion someone gave u is to finish it indoor, but ill pass cause u got Spider mites n u might infect the indoor.. starting over indoor is ur best option..but keep it clean.

Dunge

Dunge

To be clear; water only and almost three months from seed?
Could being hungry stunt the growth this much on otherwise rather good looking plants?
I'd like to see a shot of the entire garden if you can.

And did we ever get a solid confirmation on the spider mites?

M

Matt F

OK bud...just realize u mention 2.5 m from seed....
something is def wrong, they should have been big enough by now, and its Sep - meaning veg stage should b switched to flowering...
Not much of good news from my end..if u ask me..there's pH issue + SM + incorrect watering n/or fertlz = ur ladies r stuck!
if u wan to save'em ... spray them n take care of the spider mites.
move them to new bigger pot...soil shouldn't b till the top.
water only when needed, when u pickup the pot n its damn light..
check the pH in the water with the fertlz, make sure its around 6.5
bare in mind u will harvest at winter....good suggestion someone gave u is to finish it indoor, but ill pass cause u got Spider mites n u might infect the indoor.. starting over indoor is ur best option..but keep it clean.
Hey thanks I appreciate. I tested the soil and it is neutral. I haven't been using fertilizer except for what was in the soil so I purchased some and flushed them yesterday. I am not going to water them for a couple days. Have some organic safe spider mite killer being delivered tomorrow.

M

Matt F

Could being hungry stunt the growth this much on otherwise rather good looking plants?

I can see small webs and black specs so I feel like this is one of the problems. I have some organic spider mite killer being delivered tomorrow to start fixing this mess! Also just bought some fertilizer as I haven't been using any. Here they are as of today

IMG 2780
IMG 2782
IMG 2785
B

Burned Haze

I can see small webs and black specs so I feel like this is one of the problems. I have some organic spider mite killer being delivered tomorrow to start fixing this mess! Also just bought some fertilizer as I haven't been using any. Here they are as of today

No matter what brand or success of a pesticides/fungicides , never depend on just one !

Spraying schedule :every 3-5 days ,3 times min (change brands every time) and every day always check for spidermites and not just on day of spray. Then spray 7 days as prevention

You asked what SM/pest product would work for what current cycle. What is never rely on one product! ( always use 3-4 minimum ) or you will make super mites and they become resistant and won't care about normal pesticides that should work.

Products i suggests with reasons :

1.Flying skull nuke-em
( 8 oz per gal): use this first application to completely wipe em out ( they can even wipe out russet mites )

2. H202 @ 5% ( semi cold Water, mites hate it) with wetting agent (alcohol method optional ) , spray this after 3 days after nuke em was applied and this is a better solution then repeatly applying nuke-em by itself ( or any brand )

3. Dr enzymes pesticides( 4 0z per gal) amazing product that can but ran to end of flower and can kill all species of mites and soft bodied bugs . Just a little pricy ( so is nuke em, but worth it cause they both work) but totally worth it and gets rid of your issues .

AFTER FLOWER period oil based products and majority of the brands should not be used after 2-3rd week of flower, the products I stated above can go to harvest if neeeded .these can kill mildew/budrot on contact as well

Prevention is the key! But sometimes you have no control over what happens

Last edited by a moderator:
Irish063

Irish063

Just a note @Matt F , when you do spray, make sure its at either early morning or the end of the day when the sun is not as intense. Just like you would with foliar feeding. You probably already knew this but I wanted to make sure so you didn't feel like you were running into another problem.
good luck man.

M

Matt F

Just a note @Matt F , when you do spray, make sure its at either early morning or the end of the day when the sun is not as intense. Just like you would with foliar feeding. You probably already knew this but I wanted to make sure so you didn't feel like you were running into another problem.
good luck man.
Yeah I did that thanks! The bottom leaves look worse now so I took some off, the top leaves are slightly wilting. I'm sure they just aren't used to this! I am supposed to spray every 7-10 days so will see how they progress.

B

Burned Haze

^

Read what I stated ( my tips would save your plants 100%)! spray Every 3 days (3-4 times)

Must be 100% covered and wetting agent ( I use humboldt sticky .25-0.5 oz per gal

2nd tip is ethier have "grow room" clothes (or coveralls) and shoes/boots and only use those in the room . Right after you leave room slip off your boots and then take off clothes and put it in a garage bag with a tie and always wash off after . Then you can wear your " non growing clothes " . reuse same contaminated clothes till no spider mites and just make sure to use new gloves everyday and I even suggest having hand sanitizer To cleanse your gloves every few minutes so you don't infect plants ( no reason to spread shit ) just like dipping ISO ur scissors .

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom