Old school grower looking for advice on concentrates?

• Thread starter strider26554
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
strider26554

strider26554

Im an old school indoor/ outdoor grower who is new to concentrates, im looking for advice on what people are looking for in todays concentrates? currently doing oil and a couple of types of hash. techniques, ANY advice is considered gold, I'm kind of out on my own here and don't know many people.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here?

Concentrates run the gamut - Eth, CO2, Butane, pressing, then more post processing like short path distillation and lots more.

What is it you are trying to accomplish, and what tools do you have?

If you have specific questions, let 'em rip. On this forum, questions like "teach me about growing weed" get ignored because where do you start to answer that? So my advise is to ask questions that can be answered, and you will get answers.

strider26554

strider26554

well, ive tried most of the extraction methods, i guess what I would like to try are the live pressing solvent less extractions, the concentrates I'm currently producing aren't used for income they are currently being used as medicine for my aging friends and relatives as a substitute for pharmaceuticals and chemicals. I do 100 % organic grows and would like to take that all the way to the finished product. I would like some input on methods and equipment for doing the pressings. I am producing powerful concentrates but currently using a small scale butane setup. I would like advice on keeping the high quality without the solvents.

strider26554

strider26554

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here?

Concentrates run the gamut - Eth, CO2, Butane, pressing, then more post processing like short path distillation and lots more.

What is it you are trying to accomplish, and what tools do you have?

If you have specific questions, let 'em rip. On this forum, questions like "teach me about growing weed" get ignored because where do you start to answer that? So my advise is to ask questions that can be answered, and you will get answers.
My first question would be is it conceivable to obtain the quality of a butane extraction without using solvents?

HighRootz

HighRootz

As a old school stoner, I usually prefer good old hashish then live rosin or hash rosin. When it comes to today's concentrates, I find that the ones made with a solvent(butane, eth, Co2,etc.) give me a slight wheeze and every now and then a minor headache, but that's just my personal experience with concentrates made with solvents. Hash, hash rosin or live rosin I feel are more "pure/organic" in form, imho

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

well, ive tried most of the extraction methods, i guess what I would like to try are the live pressing solvent less extractions, the concentrates I'm currently producing aren't used for income they are currently being used as medicine for my aging friends and relatives as a substitute for pharmaceuticals and chemicals. I do 100 % organic grows and would like to take that all the way to the finished product. I would like some input on methods and equipment for doing the pressings. I am producing powerful concentrates but currently using a small scale butane setup. I would like advice on keeping the high quality without the solvents.
1. all highs are different wether smoked, vaped, topicals or edible.

the goal here is to strip the oil off the organic mass.

COLD WATER extraction.

soak material in very cold water. if your freezer larger enough, throw the entire mix into the freezer and let it freeze.

once frozen, take it out and leave it on the counter to thaw out.
then stir away till the water starts to turn soapy.
then strain the water
then heat the water to boil off the water.
Once you get to the bottom, its a dance with the fire so that you dont burn the oil yet burn off all the water

your left with beautiful tar that is already activated and can be mixed with anything of oil base or water base.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Dry sift, Ice water ext, and pressing all have different effects I keep all three around more dry sift and pressed rosin - ice water is work for me . Lol
Ck out dab press ad at the bottom of the screen

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

My first question would be is it conceivable to obtain the quality of a butane extraction without using solvents?
That is an interesting question, and it really comes down to your definition of quality.

Butane is nearly a perfect match to pair with cannabinoids - meaning at a molecular level, butane (and a few other short chain hydrocarbons also) are like a key fitting into a lock - the molecules are just right for each other. This means that the extraction process is highly efficient (compared to say super critical CO2 which is more of a brute force method to pull off cannabinoids) way to extract the goods from weed. But there are some obvious safety and health downsides that make it a bad choice for most home growers.

Pressure and heat based extractions are in a different class completely in my mind. If by quality you mean purity of cannabinoids - and only cannabinoids in the output? There isn't a press on the planet that will match a butane extraction. You are physically ripping stuff off the plant - and lots of bits of plant come with it.

Here is my suggestion if you want to get away from solvents but want a pure product - press it then run it thru a short path distillation rig. No solvents used, and resulting oil is virtually 100% cannabinoids.

A small short path will cost around a grand without the chiller. I can elaborate more if this is the kind of info you are looking for.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

You need to get a Rosin Press in your garage its the best way to make high quality solvent free product. Get a cheap 12 ton shop press from Harbor Freight then go on Ebay and look for a set of aluminum billet hot plates with the electric heater controller. The bigger plates are always better. You hook it up to your shop press and you are good to go. You can also buy your filter bags on ebay too its cheaper that way. I have a rig exactly like this and I make really high quality wax/rosin that you can dab in your rig it tastes amazing on the exhale.

59381609646  8479F542 5711 4EDC 8740 4849A6CFF9FB

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Im an old school indoor/ outdoor grower who is new to concentrates, im looking for advice on what people are looking for in todays concentrates? currently doing oil and a couple of types of hash. techniques, ANY advice is considered gold, I'm kind of out on my own here and don't know many people.
Good reading,new methods today but chloroform or ether used to be the way to purity without residue.

The author made the isomizer many years ago.

Last edited:
Edinburgh

Edinburgh

There are now several concetratrates, butter, wax, dabs and shatter, butter, wax, dabs are smoked in a pen or dab rig, shatter is put in a Pyrex pipe and torched with butane, shatter can be allmost pure thc, the hash is disappointing, I buy kief and add to joints.

Ponky

Ponky

20220703 101605
I've been smoking on this distillate. It's mostly Delta 8 thc. It leaves almost no residue in the dab nail. And it works really well in a YoCan Evolve Plus XL. Burns clean. Sort of flavorless. Very pure. Extracts have come a long way from open blasting with butane. Now it's literally distilled in a science lab. Great stuff. It is very effective for spinal stiffness. And neuralgia and nausea. Not great for dizziness. If you get high easily do not try to take a big ole haul right away. Take a small tiny puff. In case you don't respond well. Avoid adulterated product. Vitamin E and terpenes are used to cut it. Not stuff you want to smoke if you don't need to.

Top Bottom