Old school skunk..does it exist???

• Thread starter Jackson1969
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FourAssedMonkey

Update: The beans are home and have been divided into 6 groups as there were three containers of them. total count is 1,471. They are no sorted into two groups per original container. Seeds that look viable and seeds that are a bit lighter than I would like. Now that doesn't mean they are no good, it just lowers the probability. The total seeds that have basically normal coloration is 1,043. I have begun the process of attempting to sprout these buggers and surprisingly, at 34 years old, we've gotten some results. First I washed 20 of them in a 30% H²O² solution. I then made a 5% solution of H²O² with sterilized water and soaked them overnight. After that, I put them in a sterile microfiber cloth that was saturated with a 3% solution that also had plant catalyst and superthrive in it as well. I then put them in a device that is kind of like an incubator that I made from a small, cheapo chest freezer. After 7 days, surprisingly, two sprouted. They are slow going, but going none the less. I gave the others another three days with two more trying to go but damped off. Next, I pureed some bio-char in sterile water and cut it by 25:1 with more sterile water. I used the bio-char solution to make a batch of agar and put it into 60mm x 15mm petri dishes. I then put the petri dishes under an agromax pure UV lamp that is mounted in my flow hood. The next step was to soak the 'duds' in the 30% H²O² solution again and hope for the testa to soften up enough for me to do what I needed to do. I removed the petri dishes from the flow hood, killed the UV and went to work, in the flow hood, on the 'dud' seeds. I carefully removed the embryos from each testa as best as I could. I lost four more trying to get them out but I have plenty so it's no sweat off my balls. I then placed each embryo in its own petri dish and put them in the incubator. I set the temp to 80°F and the humidity to 90%. After 5 days in the incubator, of the 14 remaining beans, I had 10 taproots. I have since transferred them into macroplugs and am feeding them clonex solution at 5ml per gallon. One of the two originals damped off and 3 of the lab rats have as well. I put them all 3/4" below the top of the macroplugs and they took about 4 days to pop out and open up their cotyledons. They are now a week since sprouting out of the plugs and look great. I don't foresee any more issues but only time can really tell. I'm just going to let nature do its thing for this first batch by keeping them in a single AO. I'll sex them and leave the healthiest male in with the females. I will need to take cuttings from each of the females to run in a separate AO for sampling purposes, and of course, to maybe have a decent mother, as is protocol when I start this kind of work. From the samples, I'll decide from there whether they need to be worked or if they can just be backcrossed to revive the genetic. Meanwhile, the seeds harvested from the first backcross will have a portion ran and begin the process all over again.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Hi @1diesel1

I live in Thailand and grow indoors but I’d love to do some outdoor . Humidity is a killer here . Would you kindly have any advice for me as to how to have a successful harvest with a relatively strong strain outdoors
🙏
Sativa leaning would be good for high humidity growing. Buds are more airy and less susceptible to mold

SouthernOhio

SouthernOhio

Update: The beans are home and have been divided into 6 groups as there were three containers of them. total count is 1,471. They are no sorted into two groups per original container. Seeds that look viable and seeds that are a bit lighter than I would like. Now that doesn't mean they are no good, it just lowers the probability. The total seeds that have basically normal coloration is 1,043. I have begun the process of attempting to sprout these buggers and surprisingly, at 34 years old, we've gotten some results. First I washed 20 of them in a 30% H²O² solution. I then made a 5% solution of H²O² with sterilized water and soaked them overnight. After that, I put them in a sterile microfiber cloth that was saturated with a 3% solution that also had plant catalyst and superthrive in it as well. I then put them in a device that is kind of like an incubator that I made from a small, cheapo chest freezer. After 7 days, surprisingly, two sprouted. They are slow going, but going none the less. I gave the others another three days with two more trying to go but damped off. Next, I pureed some bio-char in sterile water and cut it by 25:1 with more sterile water. I used the bio-char solution to make a batch of agar and put it into 60mm x 15mm petri dishes. I then put the petri dishes under an agromax pure UV lamp that is mounted in my flow hood. The next step was to soak the 'duds' in the 30% H²O² solution again and hope for the testa to soften up enough for me to do what I needed to do. I removed the petri dishes from the flow hood, killed the UV and went to work, in the flow hood, on the 'dud' seeds. I carefully removed the embryos from each testa as best as I could. I lost four more trying to get them out but I have plenty so it's no sweat off my balls. I then placed each embryo in its own petri dish and put them in the incubator. I set the temp to 80°F and the humidity to 90%. After 5 days in the incubator, of the 14 remaining beans, I had 10 taproots. I have since transferred them into macroplugs and am feeding them clonex solution at 5ml per gallon. One of the two originals damped off and 3 of the lab rats have as well. I put them all 3/4" below the top of the macroplugs and they took about 4 days to pop out and open up their cotyledons. They are now a week since sprouting out of the plugs and look great. I don't foresee any more issues but only time can really tell. I'm just going to let nature do its thing for this first batch by keeping them in a single AO. I'll sex them and leave the healthiest male in with the females. I will need to take cuttings from each of the females to run in a separate AO for sampling purposes, and of course, to maybe have a decent mother, as is protocol when I start this kind of work. From the samples, I'll decide from there whether they need to be worked or if they can just be backcrossed to revive the genetic. Meanwhile, the seeds harvested from the first backcross will have a portion ran and begin the process all over again.
Congrats on getting them to pop.
That's the hard part with old seed.
If it was me, I'd take cuts from all, including the males.
You have something rare in today's weed world.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Hell yeah man this is awesome! Once the plants get a bit larger you should show some pics I would love to follow a grow journal on this. Good luck my friend! 🙏

GanjaJack

GanjaJack

Sativa leaning would be good for high humidity growing. Buds are more airy and less susceptible to mold
Plus I've seen sativa literally growing in the jungle of Central America.

But then the budding cycle takes FOREVER on those.a bit under over 5 months is normal?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
View attachment 2024143
Plus I've seen sativa literally growing in the jungle of Central America.

But then the budding cycle takes FOREVER on those.a bit under over 5 months is normal?
I usually run a couple sativa strains outdoor here in Pacific Northwest, I’ll build a makeshift greenhouse to finish them out typically they finish out middle of November, but I have to keep the air circulation going constantly to fight mold setting in.
Here’s this years prize to be (I hope)
She’s rite around 12 feet tall, that green stake is a 10 foot pole.
Cali mist pre 2000 (from reg. Seed)
46C7D7D1 3DAE 43DD 8C51 2F1D7D661838

GanjaJack

GanjaJack

View attachment 2024143

I usually run a couple sativa strains outdoor here in Pacific Northwest, I’ll build a makeshift greenhouse to finish them out typically they finish out middle of November, but I have to keep the air circulation going constantly to fight mold setting in.
Here’s this years prize to be (I hope)
She’s rite around 12 feet tall, that green stake is a 10 foot pole.
Cali mist pre 2000 (from reg. Seed)
View attachment 2024426
Nice Big Mexican!

the rrock

the rrock

At the end of the day, it's about the $$$.
I can't be one of only a few growers that still own seed stock from a "time before" major changes happen in the weed world.
I think around1980 and 81' started the biggest change in pot history. Then early 2000's (9/11/2001),
Now we're in another major change and not for a good way. You have HLVD which 90% of CA nurseries had it,
Herm prone seeds are well above ordinary herm rates.
Bottom line too many producers and not enough consumers for everybody.
All are fighting for scraps.,
If you're the "conspiracy" type, kind of sounds preplanned in a way.
Who the hell knows.
yaeh its $$$, I still have some seeds fromSensi puchased in 82 NL5xHaze was the best Ive ever found to this day, that and certain phenos of the hindu kush. Dont have the orig seeds but crossed these with bsHOLYWEED in the late 80s.Sold the shit out of this strain(I called uzi). Had many bay area celebs looking for this strain. Nowadays strengthwise theres not much comparable,watered down high THC levels?Ive found a few strains from twenty20 breeders that everyone wants a piece3 of after sampling. Im retired now but am still experimenting with crossing old school with new flavors.

nomdeplume

nomdeplume

I think that is directly related to less cost over anything else.
It's a lot simpler than that. The only person I consider to be a "breeder" is Neville Schoenmaker, because despite his addiction issues he had bred championship falcons for the sport of Falconry and those people took their birds seriously. Then he went into cannabis. Shantibaba from Mr. Nice seeds worked with Neville so he SHOULD have learned something. But most breeders were never classically trained in the breeding of anything. They bought seeds from the few original seed banks and started the hybridization that eliminated a shit ton of desirable characteristics out of these commercial strains. The first seeds I ever bought were Skunk#1 and NL5 from the super sativa seed club/seed castle in the late 80s. And once Neville sold his shit to the Dronkers, the quality of the seeds plummeted. And after White Widow came out with its explosive popularity, people saw the dollar signs and started just started breeding whatever hoping to win a High Times Cannabis Cup, so they could make a million dollars from a seed line. The goal was to breed a superior specimen submit it to the Cannabis Cup and watch the money roll in. But were you even buying what was judged? Ap⁰nd it was in the late 90s you COULD not buy stabilized true breeding strains anymore, you would buy 10 seeds and have to "hunt" for a withwhile pheno. It was bullshit. And now, today, you can buy 10 seeds for 400 dollars and not get one fucking plant worth growing. I just did it with a Gelato strain. 380 dollars for 10 seeds and not ONE was worth a fuck. Not One. I have spent 9,000 dollars on seeds in the last decade, which has resulted in my having ONE strain that I grow and even it doesn't compare to the genetics I bought in the late 80s early 90s. The problem with genetics now? 30 years of shitty breeding by people who were clueless and just trying to scam underground growers. What were you going to do? Call the better business bureau? Here's what I think. There needs to be an effort to find and preserve the genetics every modern hybrid derives from. The Original Haze ( yeah, right) Northern Lights 2 and 5, Skunk #1, the original Bubblegum, the Purest Indica, and the landraces that were bred to create them. I understand selection is a huge factor here. But both Skunk #1 and Northern Lights were homogenous true breeding strains so how in the fuck were they lost? Incompetence, because only an idiot would think they could top perfection. The seed breeders screwed the pooch and growers now pay the price. And I am pissed. If I had known, had any inkling what was to occur I would have started breeding my own shit years ago. I am going to try to recreate these original genetics and I WONT be selling the seeds.
TL;DR Seed breeders became greed breeders and destroyed the legendary strains people loved, leaving weak fruity shit in their wake.

S

stinksalot

has anyone tried the strains(nl, skunk#1, purest indica) offered at authentic genetics? or the exodous cheese from n.a.? If so, what was the end result? just curious what those were like

Last edited:
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Ye, I ran her couple times,
No skunk,
He’s straight forward though,
So don’t expect any skunk,
Sweet smell, not my flavor

H

hawkman

The NL is pretty stinky it’s pretty solid but the Skunk #1 isn’t the nose burning RKS vibe I was looking for. It was more sweet than skunk
there are a few banks that offer old school strain : Authentic Genetics, Old school Genetics, India Landrances, The Real Seed company, Swami Seeds there are a few more have to look them up (I'm sure you can find what you are looking for)

DabbinDebe

DabbinDebe

In the Saginaw Michigan area in 1987, there was SKUNK bud.
Soome of you know EXACTLY what i mean.
Is this strain available today.Every skunk i have triwd here in michigan, is not the same.Dont even come close...someone shed some light????
I believe the The old SKUNK is now OG CUSH strain...I wish we could find Ti Stick seeds...

GanjaJack

GanjaJack

Kush is Kush...

Skunk is Afghani x Colombian Gold/Acapulco Gold.

Kush comes from the Kush mountains and grows at a different elevation than your "regular Afghani", which tends to be a bit taller, leaves are wider, and doesn't have the colors that can pop out from a Kush plant.

GanjaJack

GanjaJack

Heh, here's an idea... Make your own damn skunks.......

Buy some Colombian seeds, they are readily available....

Buy some Afghani seeds, they are readily available...

Breed your own Skunk.

Top Bottom