Old school skunk..does it exist???

• Thread starter Jackson1969
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Pretty sure you mis-directed your response here.

I don't even have a carbon filter, have never ran one, have never had the need. My closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away.

This came from a group of Vietnam vets from northern NY and yes $4000 a lb back in the day. These guys were growing fields of it in NNY, before all the helicopter nonsense. I managed to get a few seeds. I was knowledgeable enough to continue to breed them for myself.

End Story.
Hell yeah brother God bless you! That’s awesome! 👍

S

socalmarkiss58

In the Saginaw Michigan area in 1987, there was SKUNK bud.
Soome of you know EXACTLY what i mean.
Is this strain available today.Every skunk i have triwd here in michigan, is not the same.Dont even come close...someone shed some light????
I used to grow in humbolt county Ca. I know exactly the skunk your talking about. What happened and if you notice there are a ton of strains of cannabis. Growers started cross breeding and creating new strains and basicly cross breeded the original skunk to extinction.

J

jedhasshots

well skunk is really the hunter valley crop (NSW aus) selected to a acrid or skunky line of phenos. the hunter valley infestation has many varied phenos as its a landrace. its the potentest and popularist strain we have today.. 'kush'. then there is mullum madness, thats just selected Chemdog 91. in america yous love our landrace genetics making lots of sat ind hybrids with them, its the strongest here id say for how shit the conditions/lifestly can be

J

jedhasshots

so if you want skunk, get some 'landrace indicas seeds (make sure its the strongest possible strain you can smell it too) and find the shit... chemical is cool too very prevalent in kush or selected skunk.. and avoid genetic drift

Stokes

Stokes

Loving this thread. Good to see all the vets who’ve been doing this for decades come out and talk shop. Only been growing for 3 years but do remember skunk from the early 90’s. A buddy of mine gave me a few nugs back in 2018 before i got into growing and can honestly say that was damned close.

shaganja

shaganja

My guess, is the sudden indoors movement, in the 80s/90s. The secondary terpenes got 86'd, from leaving the ground. If you notice in the industry now, you will see businesses using the outdoor for fresh frozen. outdoor produces more diverse and secondary terpene profile. Is a guess, but I think bat guano may have also had something to do with it too. Perhaps the chitin content from having an insect diet.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
My guess, is the sudden indoors movement, in the 80s/90s. The secondary terpenes got 86'd, from leaving the ground. If you notice in the industry now, you will see businesses using the outdoor for fresh frozen. outdoor produces more diverse and secondary terpene profile. Is a guess, but I think bat guano may have also had something to do with it too. Perhaps the chitin content from having an insect diet.
I don’t smoke indoor anymore,
The outdoor I grow blows away any indoor I’ve ever grown. The high is better, stronger and overall stank over any indoor. Hoping for a skunk in this mix🙏. This should last me the winter😉🫵
21 different strains, perfect timing for the holidays

Last edited:
Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
I think that is directly related to less cost over anything else.

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

The Cannabis Karen (I'm a Bytch)
Supporter
I don’t smoke indoor anymore,
The outdoor I grow blows away any indoor I’ve ever grown. The high is better, stronger and overall stank over any indoor. Hoping for a skunk in this mix🙏. This should last me the winter😉🫵
21 different strains, perfect timing for the holidays View attachment 2018573
reminds me of my brother n law, grew 20 plants outdoors and rubbing it in my face that I was only growing 2 plants indoors... 1.5 years later, almost begging me to help him get rid of his shit for him... 🙄

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
reminds me of my brother n law, grew 20 plants outdoors and rubbing it in my face that I was only growing 2 plants indoors... 1.5 years later, almost begging me to help him get rid of his shit for him... 🙄
Rite!
That ship sailed a couple years ago in the northwest, I am not in the sales market, this is all personal/family/friends/gifts for the people I love.
I enjoy farming Marijuana and hemp since I was a wee young lad in the 80s trying to figure out who I am and what I wanted to be.
With a 9th grade education astronaut was out of the question:)

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

Supporter
Rite!
That ship sailed a couple years ago in the northwest, I am not in the sales market, this is all personal/family/friends/gifts for the people I love.
I enjoy farming Marijuana and hemp since I was a wee young lad in the 80s trying to figure out who I am and what I wanted to be.
With a 9th grade education astronaut was out of the question:)
I'm wishing I was your neighbor right now. 😁 We'd be besties

SouthernOhio

SouthernOhio

Pretty sure you mis-directed your response here.

I don't even have a carbon filter, have never ran one, have never had the need. My closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away.

This came from a group of Vietnam vets from northern NY and yes $4000 a lb back in the day. These guys were growing fields of it in NNY, before all the helicopter nonsense. I managed to get a few seeds. I was knowledgeable enough to continue to breed them for myself.

End Story.
Sorry, I was just trying to get the point across of how "pungent" the Skunk is. I don't use a carbon filter either. I have a hard time growing them because it stinks up everything. People have been "upwind" and warned me about the stench before. lol
Around here, the planes started flying around 1981. The same time frame as "Operation Green Merchant" kicked off in Ca.
They changed the FAA flight rules supposedly, when some of the members of a group of hemp farmers in Ky, later called the Cornbread Mafia got busted in 81'. (?)
By 1989, after it was all done, 79 individuals, totaling 186 tons, produced on 29 farms in 10 states. They shut Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia down and we are still living under prohibition.
The last 2 guys got out of prison recently and now have formed Bickett and Boone Hemp.
Interesting story about the early days.
I'm glad you managed to hold on to those genetics.
They are hard to come by in today's seed world.

Cbdfool

Cbdfool

When I started smoking there was very little outside “The Gold’s” rarely Panama Red and very rarely Hawaiian or if you knew a Vietnamese guy; were the only bags around. Then came weed tht smelled like a pine tree air freshener. It was green with huge red hairs in Kola form. Not shake and seeds that we were accustomed to in the Midwest. That was awesome smoke. That lasted from 82-4 I’m guessing then it was gone. In 82-5 there was this shit that literally smelled like breakfast cooking. Eggs, Bacon, Hashbrowns and Toast. So so fucking good. It was big stacked buds and a light pea green. At almost the same time Skunk showed as well as the Mexican Compresso weed. Skunk was the best high but occasionally there would be some “too high” involved; much like with the Hawaiian and Thai. Every time we’d smell a road kill skunk we’d say. Well someone’s having as much fun as us or they’re having more than us if it was dry. I don’t see anything like those old strains. What happened to all of them.

G

GandolfGuerilla

In the Saginaw Michigan area in 1987, there was SKUNK bud.
Soome of you know EXACTLY what i mean.
Is this strain available today.Every skunk i have triwd here in michigan, is not the same.Dont even come close...someone shed some light????
My girl too was curious about the absence of the mythic "skunk". ILGM.com has Super Skunk seeds. I laughed. They top out at 14% thc.
My gut says, in the 80s, 14% probably wrecked all.
I think our collective tolerance put that strain in the backseat. The first time I smoked God's Gift, it was 28%. The high was akin to childhood. Fast forward 10 years. I get a nice buzz from a 50% infused cone. 🤷‍♂️my $0.02

GanjaJack

GanjaJack

Sorry, I was just trying to get the point across of how "pungent" the Skunk is. I don't use a carbon filter either. I have a hard time growing them because it stinks up everything. People have been "upwind" and warned me about the stench before. lol
Around here, the planes started flying around 1981. The same time frame as "Operation Green Merchant" kicked off in Ca.
They changed the FAA flight rules supposedly, when some of the members of a group of hemp farmers in Ky, later called the Cornbread Mafia got busted in 81'. (?)
By 1989, after it was all done, 79 individuals, totaling 186 tons, produced on 29 farms in 10 states. They shut Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia down and we are still living under prohibition.
The last 2 guys got out of prison recently and now have formed Bickett and Boone Hemp.
Interesting story about the early days.
I'm glad you managed to hold on to those genetics.
They are hard to come by in today's seed world.
Yeh, I only grow indoors at the moment. I have toooooo many deer to grow outside.

Just so you know, I know for a fact that my skunk came from Kentucky, my Vietnam buddy's brother who I got the seeds from, lived down there. They'd bring loads of skunk up here to sell. (And I remember the Cornbread Mafia)

From there and Arizona, but the Arizona bud wasn't as "pungent", it had a sweeter taste to it, but the high was BING!

SouthernOhio

SouthernOhio

Everyone relies too much on THC levels. I prefer a 14% THC plant that produces monoterpenes, (the more you smoke, the higher you get) over a 30% THC that doesn't any day. There is only so much room in a resin head for producing these essential oils.
Of course it depends on whether you are growing for smoke or concentrate production. I could care less about the concentrate scene.
I'm after high quality smoke.

SouthernOhio

SouthernOhio

Yeh, I only grow indoors at the moment. I have toooooo many deer to grow outside.

Just so you know, I know for a fact that my skunk came from Kentucky, my Vietnam buddy's brother who I got the seeds from, lived down there. They'd bring loads of skunk up here to sell. (And I remember the Cornbread Mafia)

From there and Arizona, but the Arizona bud wasn't as "pungent", it had a sweeter taste to it, but the high was BING!
Rumor has it, the original Skunk came out of that 3 state area I quoted. I grew my first Skunk plant in 1978.
There's also rumors that Big Bud came from the same areas. I personally seen Bud the size of a Folgers Coffee can on 3 to 4ft plants back then. Also bud we called "donkey dicks" that grew huge "yard long" colas and smelled of young evergreen pines.
The watered down weed today is pretty much "trash" on the flavor scale. lol
It was a great time to be alive and experience so many different types of weed back then. It was all brand new.
Seems today, everything tastes the same, except the Skunk. It's on a different level.

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

Supporter
Rumor has it, the original Skunk came out of that 3 state area I quoted. I grew my first Skunk plant in 1978.
There's also rumors that Big Bud came from the same areas. I personally seen Bud the size of a Folgers Coffee can on 3 to 4ft plants back then. Also bud we called "donkey dicks" that grew huge "yard long" colas and smelled of young evergreen pines.
It was a great time to be alive and experience so many different types of weed back then. It was all brand new.
Seems today, everything tastes the same, except the Skunk. It's on a different level.
I blame bottled nutes for that one.

GanjaJack

GanjaJack

I had some of the big bud, I was able to breed it with the skunk...

The end result is what you see on my profile page.

What's nice is that because they are F1's they will hybrid, but, they are unstable enough that you can see the different genetics that you want.

So I can still pull a skunk out, or a big bud out, selectively. Breed them, and keep the genetics going.

Sometimes I will have a grow in which you can see the gradual pheno mixing from full skunk to big bud then in between across all of the different plants.

Top Bottom