Omerta

• Thread starter Omerta
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Omerta

Omerta

Day 2 of the war on thrips with cinnamon. I haven't found a single one today. I've been staring at the leaves underbelly and the stem and stalk and ground and I cant find any infestation. There are still damaged leaves that I'm going to remove today so I can start with a clean canvas and will be able to notice new signs of thrips... or whatever.
Put another cup on top of them for a humidity dome. You don’t want you cuttings drying out.
Thank you!

Omerta

Omerta

Ok everybody. So shortly after I said no thrips... I saw a flier. If I see a flier how many little bugs are there. So I just deep cleaned disinfecting EVERYTHING 100% undiluted 5% distilled white vinegar. Lol thats funny. Anywho. Everything. Nursery, grow tent, desk, the shelf and its contents even my chair and the fans and the ceilings. So now everything smells clean and looks clean. It's a happy grow area again.

So I put some clear solos on top as dome. Also I weighed # 4, 5 and 6 and they just didn't have much moisture so I watered (but not saturated) them all making them approx the same weight.

Omerta

Omerta

Goodmornig all,
I'm wondering whether I need to upgrade my canna-tsu' pot size before I flip to flower. It's in a 3gal pot right now. I could go 5, 7.5 or 10... I dont have that much soil but I have the pots. Lol. But seriously, would that be recommended to do?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
would depend on how root bound she is currently. Keep in mind great plants can be grown out in 3 gal pots. It would depend how long it has vegged in that pot. The roots as well as the canopy will stretch. lots of folks think that the stretching only happens topside. But the truth is the roots as well explode to keep up with the flower transition explosion and will grow more seeking out all the nutes its needs.

If you aren't root bound and the whole pot isn't a solid mass of compacted roots you could finish her in that 3.

Let her dry out a bit and see if you can flip the pot and get a look at the root ball. If based on what you find, you decide to transplant, be sure to allow a week before flipping. Some say transplanting doesn't affect or shock the plant, but in my house I always give a week to get adjusted before flip. With a new home and the flower chemistry in motion I believe it gives the plant a better base from which to flower. Lower stressors. Better genetic expression. :D

Omerta

Omerta

would depend on how root bound she is currently. Keep in mind great plants can be grown out in 3 gal pots. It would depend how long it has vegged in that pot. The roots as well as the canopy will stretch. lots of folks think that the stretching only happens topside. But the truth is the roots as well explode to keep up with the flower transition explosion and will grow more seeking out all the nutes its needs.

If you aren't root bound and the whole pot isn't a solid mass of compacted roots you could finish her in that 3.

Let her dry out a bit and see if you can flip the pot and get a look at the root ball. If based on what you find, you decide to transplant, be sure to allow a week before flipping. Some say transplanting doesn't affect or shock the plant, but in my house I always give a week to get adjusted before flip. With a new home and the flower chemistry in motion I believe it gives the plant a better base from which to flower. Lower stressors. Better genetic expression. :D

Thank you jumpincactis for that, I just watered 32oz so I'll take a look at the potential root ball in a few days. Also I was wondering if I'm tying down the limbs with utility wire, is that going to rub raw the plant? And any advice on my Lst, changes or insight into what I'm doing. I know the general theory I think but enlighten me! Lol. The plant has been in the 3gal about 4 weeks.

Respectfully,
Omerta.

20190119 105334
20190119 105413
20190119 105534
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Thank you jumpincactis for that, I just watered 32oz so I'll take a look at the potential root ball in a few days. Also I was wondering if I'm tying down the limbs with utility wire, is that going to rub raw the plant? And any advice on my Lst, changes or insight into what I'm doing. I know the general theory I think but enlighten me! Lol. The plant has been in the 3gal about 4 weeks.

Respectfully,
Omerta.
Try using pipe cleaners they are gentler on the plants limbs. You can tie their ends together when you need a longer distance.

Are you blowing that fan directly on the plant? you don't want a constant stream of air directly on them due to windburn and it pisses them off.

For the distance of your lighting typically if you can have your hand at canopy level for a few minutes and it remains comfortable on your skin the your plants will be fine.

Last edited:
Omerta

Omerta

Try using pipe cleaners they are gentler on the plants limbs. You can tie their ends together when you need a longer distance.

Are you blowing that fan directly on the plant? you don't want a constant stream of air directly on them due to windburn and it pisses them off.

For the distance of your lighting typically if you can have your hand at canopy level and it remains comfortable on your skin the your plants will be fine.

Goodmorning,
It is the only fan I have for the job. I rotate my plant periodically throughout the day. And really the fan isn't very strong, and I do watch for windburn. Non yet. So that's good. I have been lucky maybe? I moved the fan to the ground so its a little farther away. Still moves the air just not on hurricane mode... lol. Thank you for your advice.

Omerta

Omerta

Ok... war on thrips... day idk. I feel like I'm losing. These are the recent pic from this morning. I did another round of antithrip cinnamon folier solution. I then rinsed with another application of cinnamon solution and let that sit for another 15 min and then rinsed with clean water ph to 6.5 I bought pest strips with adhesive. I dont know as they are worth the money. But we shall see.i haven't looked at the root ball yet... i probably should. But I dont think I'm going to flip until this thrips problem is gone... what if it's not thrips... duh duh duuuuuuuh! (dramatic scary organ music) lol. Anywho. Let me know what you think. None of my other plants are being plagued like this. Oi.

20190121 103112
20190121 111535
20190121 111601
20190121 111720
20190121 111757
Omerta

Omerta

I have just realized that I have no ground cover on my canna-tsu mother... which is why that plant has thrips... the top soil is drying much faster than my water cycle can keep it moist. Maybe its time to upscale the pot. I'm going to go get some ground cover and soil. Perlite or something. Hopefully that helps to keep the thrips unhatched. And if that works, and I am thrips free... I'm flipping to flower. All right game plan set... now to implement.

Omerta

Omerta

Well I took a look at the root ball and I wish I had taken pics but it was very healthy looking. It hadn't quite root bound. It had hit the bottom but not quite to the side walls. I trimmed off a few inches of soil around the sides and the bottom. The plant seems to be a little tired and droopy because of the trim, but I have fed and watered so its happy ish... Ph at 6.5. Approx 64oz of water in 3gal of soil. I have also done another round of cinnamon folier solution... well the war continues.

Omerta

Omerta

Ok... so cinnamon seems to be helping the thrips problem but I'm not quite pleased with it, I'm going to be supplementing with a baking soda solution as a folier spray. Here is another link to a useful home remedy website.

Here is a section from that website.

Baking Soda for Pest Control

Many insects, especially of the sap-sucking variety, will not be able to tolerate a baking soda spray. Dissolve two tablespoons of baking soda into two tablespoon of liquid soap. Again, an organic or bio-degradable soap is preferable, in order to maintain the natural quality of the product and prevent harm to the environment or local wildlife. Once dissolved, mix in between 250 mL (one cup) and one liter of water, depending upon the sensitivity of your foliage. Weekly applications may have to be diluted at trial-and-error dosages in order to prevent leaf burn; begin with a weak dose on younger plants and work your way up to a full-strength recipe as they mature. Spray plants as needed, especially after it rains, or once indoor plants have cooled sufficiently. Turn grow lights back on when your plants are dry or nearly-dry. Excess may be applied to vegetable gardens.

Indoor growers or those with an outdoor gardening shed may control insect invasions by sprinkling a perimeter of pure baking soda along windowsills and around plumbing fixtures, under sinks, etc. Carpenter ants, cockroaches and silverfish are just a few interlopers that will not be able to survive crossing through these 'contaminated' areas, helping to maintain clean and pest-free grow spaces.

Last edited:
Omerta

Omerta

The 2 mothers Canna-Tsu and Crunch berry have finally met for the first time! They both have been showing signs of thrips... the crunch berry is much harder to see. Maybe a day old. But since I am treating both for thrips and using the same solutions I figured it was time they met. Rough first meeting. I strapped em both down with pipe cleaners per @jumpincactus suggestion, and I'm already less worried about the plant being damaged.(I switched from utility wire) Pipe cleaners are where its at. I also got some bags of polished stone to use as my ground cover. I like the zen affect.

20190122 141019
20190122 141210
20190122 141218
20190122 142620
Top Bottom