On the right track?

• Thread starter SativaMan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SativaMan

SativaMan

hey guys...i finally got into flowering...or preflower, something close.
I think i will not have much to smoke...;( or maybe they are still developing...what do you think? Poor? average? rich? what does it look like? can you estimate the g? i mean...i'm getting close to 200g? and how far are they?here are pics:
On the right track
On the right track 2

On the right track 3
On the right track 4

On the right track 5

G

GeorgeKush

They are still in the early flowering stage.
What kind of light do you use? looks like CFL to me.
At this point its hard to say how much you can yield at the end.

SativaMan

SativaMan

I'm one month into flowering DrCALIGREENTHUM they showed sex like 3 weeks a go.
You are right GeorgeKush, i'm using CFL. So if they are in the early flowering stage this means that the flowers will keep growing and get bigger, right?
I will come back with some pictures later on to see if we can guess how much will i yield. it's my first grow so i'm anxious to know.
But from the pics do they look ok? healthy? on the right way to budding? :banana1sv6:

G

GeorgeKush

Hey SativaMan

So if they are in the early flowering stage this means that the flowers will keep growing and get bigger, right?

Thats right! From my point of view the buds look good for CFL in the third week of flowering! Indeed they are looking healthy and ok! What kind of nutes are you using?
How many CFL's? how much W?

SativaMan

SativaMan

Hey SativaMan

Thats right! From my point of view the buds look good for CFL in the third week of flowering! Indeed they are looking healthy and ok! What kind of nutes are you using?
How many CFL's? how much W?

*Well in my area the resources for this kind of activity are poor, i'm using a universal nutrient for decorative flowers, N=4% , P=3.1, K=3.2 and i'm still giving them that. They like it all tough i think it's kinda poor and cheap.
*As lightning i use 2 CFL cold light (36W each) + 1 CFL warm light (36W) + 1 tube CFL (18W). So it's like 126 W but they are economical, on the label they say they are the equivalent of 120 W regular bulbs so 108W CFL = 360W regular. And the electricity bill is low.:winking0067: And the plants are happy. :banana1sv6:

Oh....i must mention that i had a serious mite problem with them :bug but i traveled 100 km and got myself the strongest pesticide against mites that was to be found in my country. they recovered realy well :banana1sv6:

G

GeorgeKush

Good to hear you got rid of them mites.

So i guess you use a mineral fertilizer, make sure to flush out properly 2 weeks before harverst!

Nice CFL setup, good results so far! I am also a CFL grower, i like them but they surely dont give as much yield as other stronger lamps. If you want you can check out my journal.

SativaMan

SativaMan

I know but after this grow...i think i will switch to a 250W HPS ...it's the best right?

G

GeorgeKush

HPS are good yep. If you have the space and the suitable setup you could use a 600w or higher HPS too!

If not, the 250w HPS should work out well for you.

T

theTinker

Hey op.

Plants look good. A lil thin and stretched but thats expected with the low light your using.

How many plants are u growing there? looks like 2, maybe 3?

Anyways, for your guess request, I'd go with 15g+ per plant.
20+ if they are good by end, 15 if ok.

I can see about 3-4 main budsites per main cola with about 4 weeks to finish?
2-4 main colas in total?

If you are using these lights etc again, I'd very much top twice and flip when plants are short. Try to keep the canopy even and short for CFLs.

j wizzle

j wizzle

you will get much more out of your limited space/light if you scrog your plants and have an even canopy. you might as well lolli pop the plant right now and focus on your top kolas.

SativaMan

SativaMan

Hey op.

Plants look good. A lil thin and stretched but thats expected with the low light your using.

How many plants are u growing there? looks like 2, maybe 3?

Anyways, for your guess request, I'd go with 15g+ per plant.
20+ if they are good by end, 15 if ok.

I can see about 3-4 main budsites per main cola with about 4 weeks to finish?
2-4 main colas in total?

If you are using these lights etc again, I'd very much top twice and flip when plants are short. Try to keep the canopy even and short for CFLs.

I have 4 main plants and one small (i wanted to see how she develops with 12/12 light from seed) i don't know how much until finish but they are 1 month in flower already. They have 4 main colas because i topped them once, tried to clone them but only one survived (the one i mentioned, the litle one) and yes 3-4 budsites.
4 plants X 15g = 60 g ...less than i expected but i think it's pretty good for a newbie isn't it?
I will post a picture with the small one that all her life had 12/12 light to see how she developed.
After this grow i intend to switch to a 250W HPS in a closet with 10 plants at max... and i'm thinking to try 12/12 from seed to save space and time.what do you think?
I didn't quite understand what did you mean by "If you are using these lights etc again, I'd very much top twice and flip when plants are short. Try to keep the canopy even and short for CFLs." what is canopy? how to flip?
thanks very much for your help TheTinker :bow

SativaMan

SativaMan

you will get much more out of your limited space/light if you scrog your plants and have an even canopy. you might as well lolli pop the plant right now and focus on your top kolas.

Hi wizzle i didn't understand your advice, could you please explain?
what does it mean "to scrog my plants and have an even canopy" and "you might as well lolli pop the plant right now and focus on your top kolas." how to do that?
Thanks for your help!

SativaMan

SativaMan

Here is the little one i told you about in my previous post.
It can't be seen in the picture but she has pistils on top...few, but she showed sex later than the other ones...she is 2 weeks in flowering.
DSC07218

What do you think about 12/12 light from seed to harvest?

T

theTinker

I have 4 main plants and one small (i wanted to see how she develops with 12/12 light from seed) i don't know how much until finish but they are 1 month in flower already. They have 4 main colas because i topped them once, tried to clone them but only one survived (the one i mentioned, the litle one) and yes 3-4 budsites.
4 plants X 15g = 60 g ...less than i expected but i think it's pretty good for a newbie isn't it?
I will post a picture with the small one that all her life had 12/12 light to see how she developed.
After this grow i intend to switch to a 250W HPS in a closet with 10 plants at max... and i'm thinking to try 12/12 from seed to save space and time.what do you think?
I didn't quite understand what did you mean by "If you are using these lights etc again, I'd very much top twice and flip when plants are short. Try to keep the canopy even and short for CFLs." what is canopy? how to flip?
thanks very much for your help TheTinker :bow

Not killing your plants for the first round is good for a newbie :)
If you get anything off them worth smoking, its a success, yeild and quality come with experience and only that.
60g for 4 plants the first time, is good, especially with that kind of lighting.
120Watts of CFL lighting is very low tbh. And since the canopy of the plants in the picture is so wildly different,(with the lows being very low, and the tops being very high), its only about 3-4 cola tops that are getting the full power of these lights, the rest of the plant is getting ALOT less. Light dimishes expotentially as distance increases. I think its 4 times less light for every double distance from the light source.

Canopy is the level height of vegetation in your grow. Eg an even canopy is when all the plants are at near the same height and its like a carpet of green bud sites!
An uneven canopy (vegetation) is when the plants are all different sizes etc. Un even canopy is alot less effective, for reasons i stated in the previous paragraph.
To get an even canopy, bend, train, top it all to get it even. Anything needed. This makes sure that you can keep all your lights at an even level and all ur plants are getting the full power of the lights. It comes with practice.

Flip just means when u flip to 12/12 light cycle (or whatever light cycle you use for flowering).

Always aim for a carpet of top colas all at the same level.

If you get 60gs, ur doing VERY well. 60/126 watts is just about 0.5g per watt. This is a VERY good starting point. We all aim for 1g per watt as the great goal.

For CFLS your plants dont need to veg too tall as the lights dont reach far into the canopy since they are low powered. So keep the canopy even and the lights VERY close.

T

theTinker

Hi wizzle i didn't understand your advice, could you please explain?
what does it mean "to scrog my plants and have an even canopy" and "you might as well lolli pop the plant right now and focus on your top kolas." how to do that?
Thanks for your help!

Ill just jump in and answer this other post since im here :)

Scroging means to use a mesh screen with big holes in it. Lay it flat horizontally and support it. Grow your plants under neath it. Then when ur plants reach the screen. you bend them into the holes, over, and under, and then over, and under etc as they grow. When i think 50-80% of the screen is filled with plant. You flip your lights and it creatse a perfectly even canopy of bud sites that grow vertically towards the lights, keeping it all very level and well shined upon! If you do a quick search, you will find lots of great examples, pics and videos of this.

Lollipoping means cutting away all of the lower branches and bud sites so the plants is in a lollipop shape. It basically comes as believing the plant only has so much energy to create bud. So focus that energy on the top of the plant where the big buds will be. By chopping off all of the lower portions where the crappy airy popcorn sized bud will be(which never gets dense, hard, or much use), you save the plant trying to keep all the tiny bits n branches alive.

Its like hacking off weak areas so it doesnt rob the healthy area of the energy.

with CFLs that low powered, and plants that tall, i bet you will have lots of tiny airy buds at the bottom that will never turn into proper bud. etc.

C

CheebaMonkey

Hi SativaMan,

get a 400W HPS. 250W isn't much better than what you have now.

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

Hi SativaMan,

get a 400W HPS. 250W isn't much better than what you have now.

I would go as far as saying with only four CFLs 250w is much better but only to be out done by a 400w HPS. I use four CFLs for 10 seedlings, they just won't do to much with big plants unless you have like 20 bulbs. With so little light the bud will be airy and lightweight. With four plants you can't really expect 60 grams. I would say closer to 25 grams just because the buds will not get tight and with so little light there won't be more than a few large buds. The tops will be the better and the bottom will be very small flower clusters. Get a 250 watt or 400watt now and perhaps you'll get more but with 4 weeks left not too much more. Maybe tighten up your next round with better lighting.

SativaMan

SativaMan

Thanks for your replays they are great.
Thanks for your explications TheThinker, now i can see what you guys mean.
So you think it should be a good idea to cut the lower flowers and branches, the lollipoping thing?Or i will just leave them and what will came out it's the result of the poor lights that i have.
400W HPS in a closet 85 cm width / 50 cm length /100 cm hight ??
On the closet's walls i have an aluminum foil to reflect the light.
The 400W will produce some heat and i don't have good ventilation, i only keep one door from the closet open because i didn't want to drill holes in it. So what do you think?
What's better for what i have...200W HPS or 400W HPS?

G

GeorgeKush

So you think it should be a good idea to cut the lower flowers and branches?

Don't cut them this time, your plant may be very stressed out after cutting them and start to hermie since its flowering. You should do this in veg.

Top Bottom