One of you HAS to know!

• Thread starter PhoenixFlower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Vertically, some will stretch 2 ft within 2 weeks of going 12/12.....I'll bend them over if I see them getting too close to the light.
My closet is 8 feet tall & my growlight is mounted to the ceiling so I don't think I'll have any issues in regards to the plants getting too close to the growlight. But thank you for the suggestion.

Blastfact

Blastfact

I've factored that into my plans. I've got one window in my bedroom, it's been covered up with tin foil and cardboard, and then on top of that, I've got black out blinds over the window as well.

Sun sets just before 8pm here and I plan to have them on a schedule of lights on at 8am and lights off at 8pm. I don't think any light will get through during their dark time. I don't turn on my room light either, only when the growlight is on. I've got a lava lamp that stays on during the dark though, I don't think it's bright enough to disrupt my plants slumber. I went and checked inside my closet the other day, couldn't see my hand when I put it in front of me. Do you think I'll be fine?

When you say 'stretch,' do you mean vertically or horizontally?
Your fine,,, don't over think it. Complete and total darkness is bro science. Small light leaks don't effect anything pro or con. If it did plants would never survive moon light and every outdoor plant grown would be a hermie and have all the real and imagined problems one thinks light leaks lead to.

Stretch is 90% vertical or better.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Your fine,,, don't over think it. Complete and total darkness is bro science. Small light leaks don't effect anything pro or con. If it did plants would never survive moon light and every outdoor plant grown would be a hermie and have all the real and imagined problems one thinks light leaks lead to.

Stretch is 90% vertical or better.
You're comparing indoor light to moon lighting and that's apples and oranges. Moon light is reflective and the plants don't see it...Check out Dr.B.Bugby on light leaks...if you can see print in a book in the grow room with lights out it'll cause problems. Small led indicator lights on equipment can be so bright it lights up enough to see all the plants and read print in the dark. Plants need very little light to get confused and not know what direction to go, some will hermi some will reveg...up to you I don't like seeds in my buds

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

You're comparing indoor light to moon lighting and that's apples and oranges. Moon light is reflective and the plants don't see it...Check out Dr.B.Bugby on light leaks...if you can see print in a book in the grow room with lights out it'll cause problems. Small led indicator lights on equipment can be so bright it lights up enough to see all the plants and read print in the dark. Plants need very little light to get confused and not know what direction to go, some will hermi some will reveg...up to you I don't like seeds in my buds
Dr. Bugby's videos are definitely worth watching, but I wonder about reflected light. Would that mean that an overhead light source that reflects off the floor and into a tent is not a problem? I pointed my air intake away from light sources so no direct light can enter my tent. So that reflected light won't affect the plants. Correct?

TSD

TSD

Dr. Bugby's videos are definitely worth watching, but I wonder about reflected light. Would that mean that an overhead light source that reflects off the floor and into a tent is not a problem? I pointed my air intake away from light sources so no direct light can enter my tent. So that reflected light won't affect the plants. Correct?
I mean, the moon is also like 200000 miles away... so I'm not so sure on that one... and it's not sunlight being reflected. I say better safe than sorry and keep it dark as possible w lights out.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
No, I can't properly explain you'll have to watch his video's. I just know I do all I can to prevent light leaks after years of experience and more seeds than i could count

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Yeah, no worries folks, my closet door stays closed during lights out. It's part of the reason I have me old trusty dehumidifier 😁

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I've had no major issues with light leaking in my closet grows. But I do also have a piece of cardboard cut out and duct-taped to the inside of my closet door to block the main gap between the closet doors, my window is blacked out, and lights do not come on in that room unless a grow light is also on.

There are these really cool baffles you can buy that go into your exhaust/vent holes that allow air through but not light. I've been considering grabbing a couple for my tent to improve the passive intake

Blastfact

Blastfact

Go back and watch Dr. Bugbee video. He even goes into experiments and exercises to understand at a human visual level.

C

chronic2

Not into chemicals, just tap water and the sun. I too have witnessed 7 leaf count when it first started to grow on it's own from the stone cover I have in the backyard. So to me that simply says indica dominate. Grew to less than 4ft. And showed all 5 leaf as it grew. Same seeds from [same mother plant] last years, now the one growing next to it, I never caught a leaf count, meaning, spotting a 9 leaf count but it grows like sativa. Whereas, the best visual I can think of is the 5 leaf indi would grow like a punk all bunched together. This one is separated buds by its main branch.

Funny, but the hairs turned brown on me and pulled that [indi] just yesterday. The other sativa-5 leaf has yet to turn the hairs brown, and they both grew out of the stones the same time. So if you can imagine, they started young, grew as if to pull them they were ripe at that young an age. I let them grow, the new grew out of them, they died off at the bottom of the trunk, but when I cut it down near the stones to harvest, I brushed the dead leaves at the bottom off, seeds came out of it, I just planted a new season of little ones again. What the birds don't eat, the rain will wash them thru the stones. Nature takes off again.

I should mention, as those seeds drop from last year, the early part of this year, I pulled all the males. This crop this year is seedless. Glad I learned it dwarfs itself to reseed, found at the bottom first stage of growth call it. Final stage, hardly find seeds. If I do, they are not developed, just a white shell, not that deadly snake looking skin on it.

As far as I know, it's a 5- leaf count is CBD. 7-leaf is indica. 9-leaf is sativa, and they are THC dominate. Fat leaf is afghan or indica, and thin leaf is sativa. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Signed,
Amateur Growing Club

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
AFAIK Leaflet-count is genetic first and later changes in response to the strength of light influx. Strong lights or sun will trigger a higher leaflet-number.

Moonlight is too weak to photoconverse phytochrom. It's also slightly farred enriched. Oh and yes, it is reflected sunlight, so the spec is almost similar, except for higher FR, that must be from the reflective properties of the moon surface.

Lunar night illumination

Illuminants and photopigment spectral sensitivity functions a Spectral distributions

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Not into chemicals, just tap water and the sun. I too have witnessed 7 leaf count when it first started to grow on it's own from the stone cover I have in the backyard. So to me that simply says indica dominate. Grew to less than 4ft. And showed all 5 leaf as it grew. Same seeds from [same mother plant] last years, now the one growing next to it, I never caught a leaf count, meaning, spotting a 9 leaf count but it grows like sativa. Whereas, the best visual I can think of is the 5 leaf indi would grow like a punk all bunched together. This one is separated buds by its main branch.

Funny, but the hairs turned brown on me and pulled that [indi] just yesterday. The other sativa-5 leaf has yet to turn the hairs brown, and they both grew out of the stones the same time. So if you can imagine, they started young, grew as if to pull them they were ripe at that young an age. I let them grow, the new grew out of them, they died off at the bottom of the trunk, but when I cut it down near the stones to harvest, I brushed the dead leaves at the bottom off, seeds came out of it, I just planted a new season of little ones again. What the birds don't eat, the rain will wash them thru the stones. Nature takes off again.

I should mention, as those seeds drop from last year, the early part of this year, I pulled all the males. This crop this year is seedless. Glad I learned it dwarfs itself to reseed, found at the bottom first stage of growth call it. Final stage, hardly find seeds. If I do, they are not developed, just a white shell, not that deadly snake looking skin on it.

As far as I know, it's a 5- leaf count is CBD. 7-leaf is indica. 9-leaf is sativa, and they are THC dominate. Fat leaf is afghan or indica, and thin leaf is sativa. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Signed,
Amateur Growing Club

Never heard of the leaf count thing before. Indica means from India and was a term used to distinguish drug and hemp since drug and hemp grew side by side there. I believe soon if not already,there will/is an acceptance of one species(sativa) with subspecies. The reason is no breeding barriers exist and they will all freely reproduce.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Thats good, i'd flip now.
I 'flipped,' but then at 3am I readjusted my sleep mask and realized I saw light. Thought to myself "wtf? it's 8am already?" got up and checked the clock and it's fucking 3am. I'm so pissed. Light timer has a mind of its own and decided to come on at 12am for some reason..

Oh well I'm up now, turned that shit off and reset everything. Hopefully it works properly now. Now I gotta figure out where I'm going to position my dehumidifier, where would you say is the best place for it to capture humidity - above or under the plants?

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

My closet is 8 feet tall & my growlight is mounted to the ceiling so I don't think I'll have any issues in regards to the plants getting too close to the growlight. But thank you for the suggestion.
My grow tents are 8’ and I have height issues all the time, especially if it’s a full on sativa.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

My grow tents are 8’ and I have height issues all the time, especially if it’s a full on sativa.
It's not a full on sativa, the seed bank said it's 25% sativa. The plants currently are maybe like 2-3ft tall, still think I might have issues?

Again, everyone keeps warning me about smells, and now the supposed 'stretch' I have yet to observe/experience any of this because I've never grown before. How carefully should I tread going forth?

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

It's not a full on sativa, the seed bank said it's 25% sativa. The plants currently are maybe like 2-3ft tall, still think I might have issues?

Again, everyone keeps warning me about smells, and now the supposed 'stretch' I have yet to observe/experience any of this because I've never grown before. How carefully should I tread going forth?
Actually on those two fronts, as for smell, I run two tents both with air scrubbers and an independent unit outside the room and it still gets past all of that and my house smells like a skunk sprayed a fruit stand. My grow room is upstairs, yet it can be overwhelmingly noticeable when you open a downstairs door. Particularly noticeable on water and feed days. So yes, they smell!
Genetics and lighting play a large part of the stretch. Some strains will double in size, some not so much. I have found that weaker lighting also plays a part of this. This plant has so many variables that no one can actually tell you exactly what to expect. A lot of it rests on the strains you chose to grow.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Actually on those two fronts, as for smell, I run two tents both with air scrubbers and an independent unit outside the room and it still gets past all of that and my house smells like a skunk sprayed a fruit stand. My grow room is upstairs, yet it can be overwhelmingly noticeable when you open a downstairs door. Particularly noticeable on water and feed days. So yes, they smell!
Genetics and lighting play a large part of the stretch. Some strains will double in size, some not so much. I have found that weaker lighting also plays a part of this. This plant has so many variables that no one can actually tell you exactly what to expect. A lot of it rests on the strains you chose to grow.
Hmm, what kind of medium are you using? And what kind of light? Something tells me you're doing something VERY correct in regards to your terpenes.

I myself am not running the most spohisticated ops currently. I don't even know if the seeds I purchased will produce the top quality bud. HOWEVER, to give myself some credit, I'm not growing any of that funky weird froot loops looking bud that tastes like carnivalcandy, I am growing kush plants. Supposedly high in THC. Who knows.

I

IamN2pot

....my house smells like a skunk sprayed a fruit stand
ROFLMAO!!!!!! My wife may concur with that, especially during the manicure and curing process.
Keep growing!

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Hmm, what kind of medium are you using? And what kind of light? Something tells me you're doing something VERY correct in regards to your terpenes.

I myself am not running the most spohisticated ops currently. I don't even know if the seeds I purchased will produce the top quality bud. HOWEVER, to give myself some credit, I'm not growing any of that funky weird froot loops looking bud that tastes like carnivalcandy, I am growing kush plants. Supposedly high in THC. Who knows.
Organic,soil and mars hydro ts 3000. Hey, we all start somewhere, right? I started an indoor grow in a 2x7 closet using cfl bulbs 😉. Good thing is that you are in a great place with thousands of years in combined experience and all kindly willing to help. Good luck on your grow, start a diary and keep us posted! 😍

Top Bottom