Staff
Supporter
Soil over here, challenge excepted:)
56826DED FBD6 43BE 8BC1 B864504109D1
D76F0513 08F1 4251 9A43 20CEAEBC6503

PK1

PK1

Supporter
I'm pretty sure photoperiod. Check out OD's images and follow the solo cups to their respective posts. I'd link, but I'm about to leave the office.

As long as you keep the roots watered, fed, and healthy, your shoot's limits aren't too constrained.
I'll eventually get around to doing a hydro solo cup experiment. Sure, the reservoir might be 20 gallons, but the root mass will still only be a solo cup - which tends to be the qualifier for most of those contests.
If your running RDWC then sure the rez can be 20g but the roots can't out grow from the pot. i think it would have massive root problem, but i am not sure as i am running thru my first dwc grow.

Yeah, exactly. I think pulling a pound from 1 gallon is totally doable. It comes down to four variables:

1. choice of media. You're not going to do this in organic soil, or soil regardless. IDC what soil you use, I just don't see it as being a realistic media for this. Someone can prove me wrong (i like when that happens) but i just downright don't think it's possible with dirt.
2. keeping it watered/fed. Automation, and having it dialed in will be key.
3. training. topping, mainlining, scrogging, LST are all likely going to be used to maximize canopy spread/site production. Some demigod of SOG might be able to do it with one giant phallic spear that's 10' tall, but i think having enough sites is the main component to hitting the full cured weight
4. root pruning. the only media i can think that this wouldn't really be an issue with is coir, and in a fabric pot it would likely perform the best.
haha, thanks for the tips. I guess we'll find out what 1 gallon of soil would do.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Tempted to do this just because I have beans, pots, and the room - but I have zero illusions of pulling a pound. More would just be interested in seeing what it do.
That's really what I'm most interested in too. I think to pull it off, every single detail will need to be dialed in, and one can expect an insanely long veg time (3-4 month min). Now, pulling a pound isn't the issue here, it really comes down to what the root mass will be able to support.

An idea, now that I'm really thinking about it, may be to have the solution force injected into the root zone, and often. Like Aqua Man is doing, fertigating 10+ times a day. For the size of plant needed to produce this volume, there's not going to be any media left in the container by the end. It'll be just a brick of roots.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
You've identified a flaw in this competition.

Further clarification is required:

It must be no more than an 1gal container. Rocks, hydroton, rockwool, whatever, with a constant flow.

NO MORE THAN ONE GALLON TOTAL VOLUME FOR ROOT MASS.

So, a 5gal DWC won't quality, the volume is too high.

Hell, you could do a DWC in a one gallon milk jug if it suits you.

The only limitation is one plant, one gallon volume for roots to exist in. You produce the one pound by whatever means necessary.
what if the water
That's really what I'm most interested in too. I think to pull it off, every single detail will need to be dialed in, and one can expect an insanely long veg time (3-4 month min). Now, pulling a pound isn't the issue here, it really comes down to what the root mass will be able to support.

An idea, now that I'm really thinking about it, may be to have the solution force injected into the root zone, and often. Like Aqua Man is doing, fertigating 10+ times a day. For the size of plant needed to produce this volume, there's not going to be any media left in the container by the end. It'll be just a brick of roots.
i'm definitely in it for the fun and giggles. I'll be happy to get few oz. You are right about one thing though. It's either going to be a massive brick of roots or other whys your entire floor room is gonna have roots from the 1gallon cup. lmfao!

tobh

tobh

Supporter
what if the water

i'm definitely in it for the fun and giggles. I'll be happy to get few oz. You are right about one thing though. It's either going to be a massive brick of roots or other whys your entire floor room is gonna have roots from the 1gallon cup. lmfao!
haha right. and that's acceptable. The rules state 1gal media. If the roots decide they don't like living in a studio apartment with their 3br house appetite, then so be it lol

PK1

PK1

Supporter
sry for the pink light picture. She is in the tent and i throw my spare light in there for now to warm the tent up and also have full spectrum. Also, my distilled water is just a bit more than 1 gallon and hopefully that's okay. Not much to report on the plant as it's just in her third week currently.
I like the clear cups as it shows me how much the roots has outgrown before transplanting. The cup has multiple holes around the bottom and sides for water drainage. The 1 gallon has holes as well.
I can already see how much of pain this is going to be to water the plant and make sure that i don't get root rot.
Let the fun begin! Happy new years everyone! 🍻

2021 01 01 234813
2021 01 01 234819

tobh

tobh

Supporter
sry for the pink light picture. She is in the tent and i throw my spare light in there for now to warm the tent up and also have full spectrum. Also, my distilled water is just a bit more than 1 gallon and hopefully that's okay. Not much to report on the plant as it's just in her third week currently.
I like the clear cups as it shows me how much the roots has outgrown before transplanting. The cup has multiple holes around the bottom and sides for water drainage. The 1 gallon has holes as well.
I can already see how much of pain this is going to be to water the plant and make sure that i don't get root rot.
Let the fun begin! Happy new years everyone! 🍻

View attachment 1074395View attachment 1074396
DISQUALIFIED!!! Jk, i think you're a hair under 1 gallon in that jug. I wasn't expecting you to take the "DWC in 1 gallon jug" so literally haha. Though it's not DWC, the 1 gallon jug thing is comical haha
Man, I need a monster to appear in one of my seedlings...then to find room...we always seem to find room 🤣😆
I spy a bike in your avatar. Is that a slim? Details are needed about the motorcycle for your entry to be accepted 😉

sportyridr

sportyridr

DISQUALIFIED!!! Jk, i think you're a hair under 1 gallon in that jug. I wasn't expecting you to take the "DWC in 1 gallon jug" so literally haha. Though it's not DWC, the 1 gallon jug thing is comical haha

I spy a bike in your avatar. Is that a slim? Details are needed about the motorcycle for your entry to be accepted 😉

I loved seeing the milk jug 👍

haha...97 Harley Sportster...Buell motor, cams ,Custom paint...fun to ride 😉 😎 Hence my name!

PK1

PK1

Supporter
. I wasn't expecting you to take the "DWC in 1 gallon jug" so literally haha.

lol, I don't think there will be any room for water to be in the gallon once those roots have grown.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I loved seeing the milk jug 👍

haha...97 Harley Sportster...Buell motor, cams ,Custom paint...fun to ride 😉 😎 Hence my name!
Ah, thought it might be a sportster. My brother rides a 2012 (i think) slim and it looks damn similar to a sportster. I ride a suzuki sv650x. knew you had somethin fun, regardless!
lol, I don't think there will be any room for water to be in the gallon once those roots have grown.
You'll be thanking me for the water injection idea lol

BigCube

BigCube

UgaUgaUga the troll says

Alright. This is an idea spawned from pure testosterone, youthful exuberance, and downright competitiveness. Think the Solo Cup Challenge, upgraded.

The rules are simple:

- 1 gallon media
- 1 plant
- Must be the same plant documented from start to finish in this thread

You can use any media, any light source, any area, any genetics, seed or clone, any nutrients, any additives, PGRs, I don't care. Earn your place in history, and true trolling rights, by producing one pound (16 ounces, 440 grams) from one plant in one gallon of media.

I'll join the party once my current run is done, let's see what happens between now and then :D

So an rdwc with a 25 gallon reservoir but only 1 galon of water in the main bucket?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
So an rdwc with a 25 gallon reservoir but only 1 galon of water in the main bucket?
Correct. 1 gallon site in a RDWC qualifies.

Edit: for my entry, I'm thinking about doing a mini UC. I'm already building a UC setup, so, why tf not drop a fifth site in the four site system, just for this 😎

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I would bet it can be done but i dont have the space to do 1 plant without messing up my grow.

This is 4 plants in 1 gal middle of flower. Yeah its a mess but if you follow my thread you know I'm lazy af.
FINALLY!! Someone that agrees. It's possible. I wanna see this man do it though, without upsetting things.

On that note, if you choose to engage with this, please, PLEASE don't upset other things. This is meant to be fun, educational, and mildly competitive.

By no means is this meant to be a "drop all the shit, i got a big peepee" thing.

More so, this is a matter of finding limitations, and pushing boundaries, with a bit of fun thrown in. I do not see this being a finished in six months thread. As was said earlier, this is the solo cup challenge, 10x. The discoveries here could influence many things, if we approach it as such, not with the attitude the title insinuates.

On that note, a new title would be appreciated. Maybe cut off the "Trollish" part. Thoughts? Ideas? This was spawned in a moment of passion, so the choice of words were.... not the best.

Top Bottom