Oopsi's Journal

• Thread starter Ooopsi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ooopsi

Ooopsi

Thought I'd might share my current grow. Open to suggestions of any kind.
Doing 3 White Label Super Skunks - autoflowering.
Details: 80x80x160 growbox, BioBizz Soil and nutrients, 9l plastic pots.
Lights used: 3x 25w fluorescent tubes, 250w CFL, 250w MH, 250w HPS.
Tools: thermometer, hygrometer, ph-meter and a SCROG.
Using a fogger as well.
Pretty sure I'll get some decent advice in here if I oooops again...
Updates, pictures etc will be following soon.
Wishing you a good night!

Edit: Arr.. See... 10 minutes in and I oopsed again! Just realized there is an autoflower forum. Post may be moved coz I can't change that as it seems. Sorry mods!

Ooopsi

Ooopsi

Quick peek before bed-time...
Day 17

IMG 8368

Ooopsi

Ooopsi

Daaang... Can't sleep. Too much of good stuff in here...
And I'm wondering how sound-sensitive the plants are?
Actually I do not believe that breathing in your growbox will change your CO2 levels on long term. LOL! I however do believe that vibrations may affect a plant. Like good vibes and negative vibes f.ex. And as far as I know, sound is vibration so sound could be affecting plants. Some time ago I actually read an article which stated that plants grown under relaxation music were thriving much better than those fed with harsh sounds.
My question now is: does sound/noise 'disturb' a plant when it's in the night period? Is running a TV a bad idea if the plant is sleeping? ... Err.. Well.. maybe it's just really about time to go to bed for me as well... Peace!

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Daaang... Can't sleep. Too much of good stuff in here...
And I'm wondering how sound-sensitive the plants are?
Actually I do not believe that breathing in your growbox will change your CO2 levels on long term. LOL! I however do believe that vibrations may affect a plant. Like good vibes and negative vibes f.ex. And as far as I know, sound is vibration so sound could be affecting plants. Some time ago I actually read an article which stated that plants grown under relaxation music were thriving much better than those fed with harsh sounds.
My question now is: does sound/noise 'disturb' a plant when it's in the night period? Is running a TV a bad idea if the plant is sleeping? ... Err.. Well.. maybe it's just really about time to go to bed for me as well... Peace!

Almost all scientific studies suggesting plants respond to music lack a sample size or control that really gives it any scientific creedance. That being said i play sleepy music for them when its lights out and happy music when its lights on. Any music has to be better than the noise of the fans and lights lol.

Ooopsi

Ooopsi

Alright, here's a 'little' recap of what was happening the last days. The journal is written in 'how to style' as note to myself. Please do not consider it a tutorial coz there might still be errors in. I simply rectified some details for my next grow so I won't do certain errors again. After this post, I'll be switching to real live data, pure observation again. Pictures will be added too!

JOURNAL START

1. SEEDS (4 days)

Day 1
Prepare the water: Fill a big 9L bucket with tap water, add 0,1 - 0,2ml/L Root-Juice & leave it in a warm place at room temperature. 20C water temperature is best. Do not ph the water.
Stir the water from time to time if you can. Wait 24 hours before using it.

Day 2
Pour some of that water into a small glass.
Soak the seeds in that water for 12 hours.
Store it away in a dark spot at room temperature.

Day 3
Place the seeds in between some Cleanex.
Make sure all seeds are placed the same way.
Place them with the pointy end pointing downwards.
Now spray some water on the Cleanex.
It has to be moist, not wet.
Again, use the previously cleaned water with Root-Juice.
Place the moist Cleanex into a an empty plastic CD-box and store it away in a dark place at room temperature.
Prepare the soil: Add 2- 3 cups of Seramis per pot.-> better drainage. I think Light Mix alone tends to get sticky over time. At least that's what I was experiencing when flushing too much.
Fill the 9l pots with the mix.
Place the pots inside the growbox at room temperature.
You may add a heat-mat if you have one.

Day 4
Seeds should have popped open just a bit.
Water the pots thoroughly but slowly with the prepared solution and let the water drip of well. Stir some oxygene into the water before watering.

!!! Always clean & heat the water the day before using it!!!
Let it sit for 24 hours.
Do not ph the water AT ALL when using organic fertilizers like BioBizz.
Do not ph the water!!!

2. SEEDLINGS

Day 1
Roots should now be about 2-3cm long. If not, let them go just one more day.
Plant the seeds into the pots about 1cm deep and cover them gently with soil.
Do not push or force anything. Make it easy for them to pop out of the soil.
!!!DO NOT repot and transplant autoflowers!!!
Cover the pots with cellophane to keep the moisture in.
Keep the soil moist, not dry, not wet.
It's better if the soil is a bit too dry than too wet.
!!! Autoflowers can be easily overwatered!!!
Put the neon tubes about 5cm above the soil.
Temperature near plants should be constantly 22C with lights on.
Temperature near plants should be constantly 19C with lights off.
Light shedule: 20/4
Keep this shedule throughout your ENTIRE grow. This is best for auto flowers.
Switching from 24/0 to 20/4 stresses the plant.

Day 2
Nothing happening usually.

Day 3
They should be about to break through the soil.
As soon as they do, remove the cellophane.

Day 4
Plants should have popped out of the soil.
As the plants grow, keep putting the lights higher.
Keep them at 3-5 cm from the top of the plants.
Turn the plants from time to time to get some light to each side.

Day 5
The plants should have grown and dropped the outer shell.
If they didn't drop the shell, just leave it or gently take it off, at your own risk.
Taking it of manually can damage the leaves.
Place a ventilator near the flowers and blow a VERY gentle breeze over the plants.
Drop the RH to 60%.

Day 6
The leaves should now be opening.
NEVER SPRAY the seedlings with water. -> chlorine residues on leaves

Day 7
The plants should now be about 4cm tall. -> less is better
Switch on the 250w CFL bulb and place it 40cm or closer from top of the plants.
You can now switch off the fluorescent 25w tubes or leave them. Up to you.
Check the temperature! Keep it at 22C.
If it's too hot, move the lights further away, or use an exhaust fan.

Day 8
The plants should now be about 6cm tall. -> less is better

Day 9
The plants should now be about 8cm tall. -> much less is way better
The first set of leaves should now be about 2cm long.
Place a small wooden stick right next to the stem in case you need to prevent the plant from bending (Often happens when there's not enough airflow around the plants)
Keep on moving the light closer.
Watch for radiant heat. Keep it under 28C.
The ventilator can now be placed a little bit closer to the plants.
Check if the soil needs watering.
Do not feed ANY nutes!
Let the soil dry out a bit, water just as much as needed.
Do not flush the pots entirely in this phase!
Do not water too much close the stem. Let the roots search for water.

!!! Autoflowers are VERY sensitive to nutrients because they do not produce such big root systems. Always use 1/2 or 1/3 of the nutes indicated!!!

Day 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Let them grow, use no nutes, USE WATER ONLY! 0,24ml/l Root-juice is fine though.
Growing slowly. That's normal. Do not panic.
Keep on moving the CFL bulb just a little closer to the tops day by day.
Check temperature and RH constantly!
If temperatures start exceeding 22C, stop putting the lights closer.
Do not bother about soil ph for now.

Day 17
Plants should now be forming their 3rd set of leaves.
Drop the RH to 55%.

Day 18
Plants should be starting to grow a little bit faster now.
Raise the temperature to 23C. Keep the RH at 55%.
Place the fan a bit closer to the plants. They will like that little shaking.

Well, at least that's why I thought to be best for my autos...
Open to any suggestions of course :)

Ooopsi

Ooopsi

Today is Day 19 (From putting it into the soil)
Comparing it to other pictures in here I think my plants have been stretching waaaay to much.
The stems of the other 2 plants are not that long though; around 5 - 7cm, but still...
Having browsed through some posts in here, I saw most of the plants start forming leaves about 4 cm above ground and growing way faster, building leaves much sooner. Maybe it's the strain, maybe it's just me...
Maybe I should have kept the 25W fluorescent tubes a bit longer before switching to 250w CFL...
All 3 plants are looking healthy to me though.

IMG 8369
Ooopsi

Ooopsi

Note to myself.
Well, yeah... Now I'm a 99% sure. When using BioBizz Light Mix and BioBizz nutes, the soil is gonna buffer ph to about 6,5 automatically, without ph'ing the water. My tap water runs a ph 7,8 after sitting for 24h but soil ph has dropped clearly to 6,5 now. Some days ago, I had to flush my plant in bloom and did the testing after that. After the flush it read 7,5 and after feeding the nutes later, it read 6,5 even by just adding half of the nutes.
If one day I'll have to ph down for some reason, I'll just stick to earth juice or canna ph down.
I guess that will do just fine... Hopefully ... Haha..

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Lol a little lemon or lime is fine for oh down too. I use lemon when i feel the need to PH but since in in my own soil mix i generally know the soil is ready when it has reached the right PH, then i use it. I would warn against soaking seeds for 12 hrs. It *can* drown them out. Not saying it will as many people have luck this way, i just prefer the paper towel method as ive had 100% success and no chance of drowning. Other than that it looks great! Keep it up and keep taking good notes, you will thank yourself later.

Ooopsi

Ooopsi

Uuuh.. Cool! Sounds good! Fresh lemon juice.. As simple as that.. Haha.. Can't be more organic really.. Hmm.. But it's logical. Yes, indeed. Great advice! And the thing about drowning, never heard of that one either. Never had any problem with seeds but still good to know. And now that you're saying it, I think recalling the few times I did not put them in water and they popped pretty earlier than those soaked. In fact I soaked them because I thought putting just a little root juice in there would somehow kickstart them but than again, I think I'm wrong on that one too. LOL big thanks man! Yes... I do suffer from short memory loss so better write that stuff down... Hehe...

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Uuuh.. Cool! Sounds good! Fresh lemon juice.. As simple as that.. Haha.. Can't be more organic really.. Hmm.. But it's logical. Yes, indeed. Great advice! And the thing about drowning, never heard of that one either. Never had any problem with seeds but still good to know. And now that you're saying it, I think recalling the few times I did not put them in water and they popped pretty earlier than those soaked. In fact I soaked them because I thought putting just a little root juice in there would somehow kickstart them but than again, I think I'm wrong on that one too. LOL big thanks man! Yes... I do suffer from short memory loss so better write that stuff down... Hehe...

Yea like i said the drowning thing is paranoia for me but ive paid over $20 for a bean before lol i cant help but be a little paranoid. Your methods are working for you and thats all that matters, i would just do a little digging into it is all see what you can find out. I want to say i read somewhere the longest "safe" soak time was something like 6 hours. Maybe im just pulling that out of my ass though.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Just made a deal with myself. No more drowning pools. Adding 0,1mL/L root juice to the water, spray onto the paper towels and there we go. Didn't know paranoia was contagious... Xd...

Haha there ya go! Thats precisely what i do except i use a little compost tea with earthworm castings and kelp but the principle is the same.

Ooopsi

Ooopsi

A bean poppin' fool like the guy with over 100 strains in one batch... Lol... Just saw that post. Amazing!
And than I thought a 20 years back and was thinking of a strain I'd seen just once in my life. It was called 'Citronella'. French: citron = English: Lemon. Googled it up but can't find it anywhere. I got results like: Lemon Skunk, Lemon Haze etc... Seems like it doesn't even exist. Hmmm... Would have loved to grow one of these. Maybe I'll try the Lemon Skunk next. Back to normal plants. These autoflowers make me nervous... God damn tickin' bombs... Looking good though. Just watching them grow. No feeding, no nothing. Temp: 25, RH: 60, 250w CFL 20 cm away. I hope the one in bloom will get its ass moving a bit faster, I will be needing that tent soon... Kinda fucked up that plant anyway... Selling my old tent, moving it from here to there, switching setups again and again...messing a bit with light shedules, electric power downs, nute burn, than lockout, overdosed on gardenlime... Murphy's law expressed in one plant. Yes, this will be funny to read in some years... Haha... The 100 ultimative plans... That never worked... LOL

Last edited:
Ooopsi

Ooopsi

Day 22. Small update.
Plant 1 & 2 are looking fine to me, but they're growing really slowly I think.
Also noticed a shift in color on one side of the leaf. Looks lighter somehow.
Didn't feed any nutes until now. No watering for 3 days, still moist.
T: 25C, RH: 58%, 250w CFL 20cm from plant. PH 6,5.

The third one is looking healthy as well... I think... But it looks mutated somehow.
It has been growing a bit weird like that from the start and it doesn't seem like it's getting any better.
The seed-shell was stuck on that one. Gently pushed it of with a toothpick.
It's also stretching a bit more than the other 2 plants and has thinner leaves somehow... strange...

I sprayed the seedlings with water when they started growing their 3rd leaf. I think I shouldn't have done that.
Also: the plants are standing in an open box, with a fogger and a fan in front. No exhaust connected. 4 days ago, my girlfriend closed the box and the plants were under 42C for 2-3 hours, RH must have been way lower than 40 by then. Maybe that's what made it 'shrink' somehow?
Note to myself: When adding Seramis to light mix, the plants seem to get along way better than without. Soil moisture is always more even and constant. Watering is easier also.

Ooopsi

Ooopsi

Damn... Yes. That could be a reason indeed.
Quote from websites 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10: use kleenex paper towels. -> That's what I always did.
Quote from webiste 101: NOT Kleenex tissue, towels free of dye and perfumes.
I really wouldn't have thought of that!
If it's not the reason, I will still have learned not to put them in these handkerchiefs ever again.
Thanks a lot!

Top Bottom