Opinions On Terpenes

• Thread starter RCfarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RCfarmer

RCfarmer

I've made RSO for use in a vape mod and want to add terpenes back to the oil. I haven't found much discussion on what terpene profiles people like and from what company they chose. I chose Sour Diesel by Bloom. It's good and does the job but I'm likely to try something else. In my opinion it didn't taste like sour diesel. The only sour diesel I've ever smoked was from what I grew and that was Rez Dawg and Dr. Greenthumb. Even if the terpene didn't taste as you think it should did you enjoy your terpene selection anyway? What's your favorite and by what company?

Graywolf

Graywolf

I've made RSO for use in a vape mod and want to add terpenes back to the oil. I haven't found much discussion on what terpene profiles people like and from what company they chose. I chose Sour Diesel by Bloom. It's good and does the job but I'm likely to try something else. In my opinion it didn't taste like sour diesel. The only sour diesel I've ever smoked was from what I grew and that was Rez Dawg and Dr. Greenthumb. Even if the terpene didn't taste as you think it should did you enjoy your terpene selection anyway? What's your favorite and by what company?

I suggest a blend from Extract Consultants. https://www.extractconsultants.com/

P

progeny-prodigy

Natural terpenes my distillation maker has after he does runs.

Pass on the synthetic crap.

10 drops per 1g of distillate

im not saying ur wrong cause the "profile" could be considered synthetic but those terpene mixes r not synthetic they r steam distilled from natural sources. cannabis-derived terpenes cant easily be replicated so they will be the most realistic but even they arent really true representation of the profile of what they were extracted from.

RCfarmer

RCfarmer

I can't believe there aren't more people chiming in with specific flavor recommendations. So the average person isn't making their own ejuice to use in a mod and adding terpenes back to the oil? I like vaping so much that I don't see the point in smoking a joint or bong. Vaping is so easy and discrete. I can get stoned anywhere in public and nobody knows or says anything and believe me they would say something.

K

kansabis

I haven't dove into making any vape juice yet,I vape flower so I don't know about all the crap out there,sorry. But I agree on vaping over smoking,much more discreet and for the most part,healthier.

P

progeny-prodigy

and how would people feel if they took cannabis derived terpenes and isolated them and mix "profiles" from isolated terpenes? those could be the closest thing to the natural profile of the flower cause u could use the results of advanced analytical chromatography/sensor to get a mix that u couldn't get by a preparative terpene extraction. but that would also be synthetic cause humans created it. but the main point is chemistry is fucking complicated and a terpene from 1 species might not be the exact same thing (or mix of things) as the same named terpene product. so "food grade terpenes" arent ever gonna be the same even tho practically they will be close in most cases

Graywolf

Graywolf

To understand the differences between terpene mixes, you have to stop thinking in absolutes. There is no 100% purity, only cutoffs in our ability to measure the impurities.

The difference between the same terpene extracted from two species is minor fractionals. 99.9999% purity means that .0001% is something else and why the identical d-Limonene molecule from Oranges, Lemons, and Limes still have different flavors.

Besides natural terpenes, there are terpenes derived by processing other more readily available terpenes, such as the high demand for b-Myrcene relative to supply, so most b-Mercene is derived from readily available a/b-Pinene from the lumber industry.

I did a study of the thirty most prevalent mono and sesquiterpenes in cannabis, which co-author Rob Brown published an article under the title Sweet Mary's Charms, which is long with tables chock full o data, but here is the summary:

Sooo, to summarize the toxicity of the 31 terpenes and terpenoids above, the poison is always in the dosage, and none show toxicity at the levels encountered vaporizing, but there are concerns with d-Limonene being a teratogen, b-Myrcene being a carcinogen, and Camphor being a mutagenic and inducing epileptic seizures.

b-Myrcene also has Fema GRAS status, confusing things somewhat, but is also a major component of beer and if it were a serious carcinogen, you would ostensibly expect to see increased levels of kidney and liver cancers amongst beer drinkers.

It does however bring us to the observation that more than 200 volatile compounds are found in cannabis, and we just looked at 30 major ones, how about the other 169 or so?

To answer that in part, check up the next article in our series, The Oxford Academic Botanical Journal Follow up, which addresses 68 of the volatile compounds found in the Northern Lights and Hawaiian Indica male and female plants that they tested, not just the most common ones.

In closing, note the colors of the different terpenes and terpenoids above, and the only one that isn't clear, white, or pale yellow is C20H40-O Phytol, a diterpenoid, which can be yellow to red. Some of the C15 flavonoids are also red, and we will be discussing them later.

Graywolf

Graywolf

To further complicate possible un-targeted components in our extracts, consider the study done by the Ole Miss Research Institute of Pharmacy:

Constituents of Cannabis Sativa L XVII, A Review of the Natural Constituents, by Turner, Elsohly, and Boeren at the Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy,University of Mississippi.

A lengthy tome, which details the 421 compounds they found in Sweet Mary, ranging from our beloved cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids, to alkaloids and Alkane hydrocarbons.

To say that I was blown away, would be an understatement, and puts new meaning to the term "Whole Plant Extract."

ASP Publications can provide the whole article at: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/np50008a001

Graywolf

Graywolf

I personally prefer the taste of the concentrates as extracted, vaporized on my electric nail, but have sampled some "tasty" cart mixes.

I also prefer a heavy micro-brewed porter to Budweiser light, and expensive well aged wines to good jug wine, but all of those choices wouldn't exist if there weren't a market for it.

If you check at the site that I suggested, they have mixes for the different profiles and give you some idea what's in them.

That may get you close, but it is the minor fractionals like esters and thiols that only take a few parts per billionth for our senses to detect them, and the secret ingredients in the formulas in all expensive perfumes.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I personally prefer the taste of the concentrates as extracted, vaporized on my electric nail, but have sampled some "tasty" cart mixes.

I also prefer a heavy micro-brewed porter to Budweiser light, and expensive well aged wines to good jug wine, but all of those choices wouldn't exist if there weren't a market for it.

If you check at the site that I suggested, they have mixes for the different profiles and give you some idea what's in them.

That may get you close, but it is the minor fractionals like esters and thiols that only take a few parts per billionth for our senses to detect them, and the secret ingredients in the formulas in all expensive perfumes.
PS, that site was: Extract Consultants. https://www.extractconsultants.com/

RCfarmer

RCfarmer

Extrac Consultants has the best prices I've seen but they don't have any 1ml sample sizes. I wouldn't doubt half the terpene companies buy from a company like Extrac Consultants and rebrand/repackage the product and mark up the price.

I ordered the Gelato flavor from Bloom off ebay since it was a 1ml size, shipping included, for $13. The smallest size offered by Extrac Consultants is 10ml for $50 which is $5 per 1ml but if I don't like the flavor the super deal is a waste.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Extrac Consultants has the best prices I've seen but they don't have any 1ml sample sizes. I wouldn't doubt half the terpene companies buy from a company like Extrac Consultants and rebrand/repackage the product and mark up the price.

I ordered the Gelato flavor from Bloom off ebay since it was a 1ml size, shipping included, for $13. The smallest size offered by Extrac Consultants is 10ml for $50 which is $5 per 1ml but if I don't like the flavor the super deal is a waste.

Good point for those whom are still searching for their favorite. I'll suggest a sample kit to them next time I shop.

O

OldHead

I can't believe there aren't more people chiming in with specific flavor recommendations. So the average person isn't making their own ejuice to use in a mod and adding terpenes back to the oil? I like vaping so much that I don't see the point in smoking a joint or bong. Vaping is so easy and discrete. I can get stoned anywhere in public and nobody knows or says anything and believe me they would say something.

I agree. I am new to ALL of this stuff but it seems to me vaping is the way to go. I have not wanted to do any flower since I discovered BHO/concentrates, and vaping is the next logical step IMO. I have added some pineapple flavored PG to shatter, put it into an oil cart and I smoked it. Is that considered vaping?
I am looking for a "how to" e-juice guide if anyone knows where to find one.

RCfarmer

RCfarmer

I watched many videos on the subject and I suggest you do the same but if you already have the concentrate you just need to dissolve it in something like a food grade PEG 400 which is much cheaper than the retail formulas like EJ Mix or Wax Liquidizer. I didn't see or taste any difference in either of those choices.

O

OldHead

I watched many videos on the subject and I suggest you do the same but if you already have the concentrate you just need to dissolve it in something like a food grade PEG 400 which is much cheaper than the retail formulas like EJ Mix or Wax Liquidizer. I didn't see or taste any difference in either of those choices.

I have used the PEG 400 and it seems to work fine. However I am going to try terpenes because I am all about taste, and the PEG400 is bad for you if it is overheated, as was mentioned in another thread recently.
Thanks for the links to the vids,

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Concentrates suck. The high is lacking vs vaping herb. Dont get too invested, everyone gets over the placebo eventually and goes back to herb.

Fake terps? Why not punch me in the balls every time I take a hit? There's a reason, I always thought, that people were attracted to Cannabis vs other drugs, and no blend of sourced terpenes added to distillate is going to mimic those properties.

How about a terp blend that actually smells like weed? How about one that tastes like weed? Or even tastes good?

A terp blend that soothes the stomach instead of nauseating it? A terp blend that makes me dance or run around the room or squeal like Little Richard? A terp blend that matches perfectly to the Cannabinoid ratio and gets to 16 times as high as some slapped together e-cig reclaim pen?

Doesn't exist.

CBDEMON

CBDEMON

I really can't say I agree with a lot of what you said. Why come to someone else's thread with such a naysayer comment? Vapes may not be there yet in potency or terps but with an attitude like yours it would surely never get there @RippedTorn

RCfarmer

RCfarmer

I ordered two flavors from Extract Consultants and just got them today. I bought their Purple Kush PG formula and Chocolate MCT formula. I added some purple kush to my vaporizer tank and it mixed easily with my unflavored concentrate I previously mixed with PEG 400. I can't comment on how close it is to the purple kush strain because I have no idea but it tastes really good. Tastes like good weed. Thanks for the recommendation Graywolf!

Top Bottom