Optic 8+ UV/IR or Optic Slim 600h? Go...

• Thread starter NautilusNews
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NautilusNews

NautilusNews

Alright guys, I've been thinking long and hard about my next light. I've got a Kind xl750 and used it in a 4x4 over 3 plants in 5 gal equivalent Superroots Air pots.
My Quality was pretty good for a first time indoor. Btw, used a super soil found in the book, "True Living Organics", mixed with Subcool's recipe with some tweeks of my own + compost teas... But even though going in quality was my only concern, sadly after the total investment I made between time, (studying/nurturing) and money itself with no stones un-turned, my yield wasn't even mediocre. Didn't expect much but i probably got about 2oz from 3 plants. Give or take, I didn't actually weigh it.
So live and learn, it's an Led pulling 430w max strenghth.
Moving on a few years later there's new tech and talks of lights and techniques and I've pretty well caught up.
Now looking to run 4 plants in a 3x3 Grassroots no till living soil bed in my 4x4 x 80in high Secret Jardin tent with Orca Film and I've settled on 1 of 2 lights.
I though for sure my mind was set on the Optic Slim 600h. But last minute I decided to do one last lap around the block. Reading what Optic has to say about the Slim and then the Optic 8, They're virtually identical. I know they aren't but by the end of each description your only left thinking, 'THIS>LIGHT<, is THEE . Best Light'...
So I've watched all the videos involving each. But there's really nothing but 1 grow done with the Slim. Done by the Optic CEO himself. And a few videos of the 8 used by West Coast on a commercial scale where they're using probably 40 of these things at once, growing in coco, with bluemats* or some watering system I won't be using,
and no height restrictions.. So it's not really a good comparison for me either.

I've tried contacting Optic in various ways including phone, email and comments on their YT videos. But no response yet*.
Does anyone have any input they'd like to share in helping me decide on one of these 2 lights?
The 8 has the CREE COBs and uses secondary lenses while the Slim does not.
The 8 is only a 70w boost from my xl750 at 500w max power. Which concerns me that while it may yield more, it could be a small disappointing addition. Not much more than what wasn't much to begin with.
And the 8 seems to have a similar footprint center focused style to my KIND as witnessed when Black Dog compared their light to KIND.
It does however seem to have deep penetrating canopy capabilities. (Reportedly. Mostly by Optic)

The Slim 600h is boasting its own setup, including 3 umols/j.. 2760 leds at 600w. Upping my power 170w from the xl750, and has quite the even PAR and 1200* PPFD.
It's thin and can be closer to canopy helping with height restriction but penetration of canopy capability isn't really mentioned.
No secondary lenses. I recall Black Dog saying this was a good thing (in some way), but the CREE COBs are said to use their lenses for, aside from angle spread, additional penetration.

So what do you guys have to say about the CREE COBs with lenses vs the Slim with CREE without lenses? At least, in this scenario here best you can, considering the entirety of each lights partnered lighting. The 8 includes OSRAM with some UV/IR mostly in its center footprint while the Slim has a butt load of Samsung 301h.

I'm still more concerned about quality, taste and terpenes. These lights are the exact same price and advertised to pull the exact same 2.67 lbs per light.
Even at a 100w difference... If you were me and had to choose ONE, which one would it be? And how do you make that decision?
Please stick to the 8 and Slim and not try to evoke a pitch towards a different light. I've found no real objective comparison of these 2 specifically hard as I've searched.
Hoping to settle my single minded debate once and for all. Thanks to any help on this.
Sail On, Nautilus*

Last edited:
nicehatbabay

nicehatbabay

I hope you are still on this site. If so, which light did you go with. I am searching online as well at the two and cannot choose. If I'm going to make an investment like this I want it to be the right one.

Top Bottom