Optimal PH in Coco?

• Thread starter swisscheese
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bullseyebull

Glad I looked at this thread.. just got my first ph pen through the post and it turns out the water I've been using is about 8.0!!
How much of an affect can this have on the plants ?

Peacefreedom

Peacefreedom

Does the Coco itself change the pH like say peat? Or is it just whatever you buffer your nutes to?

Mickygreen

Mickygreen

I was always told that ganja plants like slightly lower ph when young and higher ph when in flower? Something like 5.5 to 5.9 in veg & 5.8 to 6.2 in flower? This covers a range for all the nutrients to be most absorbed. On my last couple grows I did ph insistently to 5.8 with no ill affects however , some slow growth around week 4/5 was I think down to a slightly wrong ph? Since adjusing from veg to flower thinks have in proved greatly
WW & SD week 5 flower
Drain to waste
Gh 3 part feeding everyday 2l per plant 500ppm

Plant have never been happyier lol finally yielded 11.8oz from a 400hps dialed down most of the time to 250watts, and mars300
20170529 155443

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

I believe 6.1 is optimal. Cal and mag don't absorb any lower. Any higher than 6.3 tho and you start losing others. That's why I think so many people have cal/mag def with coco. They are running 5.8 and not gettin absorbed. Only thing is if you are running 6.1-6.2 you have to be very careful not to go over. IMHO

Unit541

Unit541

is this in coco? the hydro info i read around leads me to understand that Ca is absorbed below 6.0 and Mag is absorbed above 5.8 .

Isn't it odd, how all the info on the inter-webs doesn't always line up with reality? Yes, the net will tell you treat coco just like hydro. Experience will then teach you to treat it like something between hydro and dirt.

For me, 6.0 to 6.4 is the ticket. I always target 6.0 in veg, and in flower I shoot for a little higher like 6.2 - 6.3. For the most part only correct for extremes. Less than 6 is no good, and more than 6.5 is no good. Anywhere in between just let it ride.

K

Kot

Isn't it odd, how all the info on the inter-webs doesn't always line up with reality? Yes, the net will tell you treat coco just like hydro. Experience will then teach you to treat it like something between hydro and dirt.

For me, 6.0 to 6.4 is the ticket. I always target 6.0 in veg, and in flower I shoot for a little higher like 6.2 - 6.3. For the most part only correct for extremes. Less than 6 is no good, and more than 6.5 is no good. Anywhere in between just let it ride.
What is your run off in flower? Mine gets in 5.8 and out 6.4.

Madmax

Madmax

Dont forget coco coir doesnt easily release cal mag.i believe that using nutes in chelated form broadens your ph range..

NormanG

NormanG

I’m pretty inexperienced so take what I say with a grain of salt but I’ve read several experts who say 5.8-6.0 in veg and 6.0-6.2 in bloom. I just always aim for 6.0 and let it drift up slightly over the days. That’s what I stick to and I don’t add cal mag as my tap water is 0.4EC. I’ve never checked runoff EC or ph as my plants seem fairly healthy so I figure why fix what ain’t broken?

NormanG

NormanG

I believe the reason for slightly higher ph in bloom is to do with nitrogen being less available at say 6.2 than 5.8 or 5.9.

JahSun

JahSun

I've got about half my room with burned, yellowing, spotted or browning spots on the fans, which appears to just be nutrient deficiency. I'm using flora flex quik fill coco and we stay between 5.9 and 6.2 pH, I suppose it's possible we could be watering too much, but has anyone had that issue with coco? Most of the problem fan leaves are on the lower half of the ladies. Thank you for any help, still pretty new to this.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I always run coco @ 5.7 to 5.8 and never have an issue. Feeds never go over 5.9. Getting the watering dialed keeps you from swinging the PH of the medium from drying and will have way more of an impact then .1 to .2 on the PH scale of your feed. As it dries PH goes up (as with most mediums). Coco also has the CEC with K and micros so letting it get too dry can cause even more issues. Let it dry too much/watering too much between feeds and it will get out of the sweet spot. If you ever unsure about this and don't want to keep guessing you can always spring for a meter and plot a chart of waterings vs PH of the medium and see how much of an impact that has vs the difference between feeding @ 6.0 vs 5.8. If you want to save money and time - very little vs the effect that the feed times/amount have. Granted this is always going to be different from a 1-2 gal pot vs a 10 gal pot but the same holds true most of the time. Kind of a jack of all trades medium.

Best advice if you want to use a soil-less medium geared for hydroponic style growing treat it as such unless you are amending it and treating it like soil in big pots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom