Orbad's DIY SCR/SOG under current knock off

• Thread starter orbad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Dont sound like a noob to me :) whats ur concern about the ridges?

orbad

orbad

Dont sound like a noob to me :) whats ur concern about the ridges?

I'm trying to be super anal this from here on out. I've had some bad runs recently, hermie plants. I've come to the conclusion that it was just crap genetics but I still want to make sure.

Some of the younger leaves seem to have huh ridges until they get older, and I'm just not sure if it's a sign of something I could do better.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Imo, they look real good. New growth should be light green and depending on the strain, some growth turns darker green as it matures (actually most turn dark after 4-5 days after sprout from stalk. I wish i chose to be a perfectionist early on, probably would have saved me some heart ache. Just dont over complicate, keep it simple silly ;) if u havent already, tune into jackmayoffers uc thread. Even though his grow was super massive, he still had great tips when runnin uc.

squiggly

squiggly

Scrutinize it pretty good. I'm a noob of about 2 years growing. I'm concerned a bit with the ridges on the leaves but not sure.

Edit to add: the reason I bumped the Epsom salt today was because when I let the EC get low on the purple diesel mom I just took cuts from it appeared to be showing signs of magnesium deficiency. Had some rust brown spots on some of the older, lower leaves.

Looks like classic Iron deficiency to me.

How do I know:

1. Smaller leaves first
2. You have interveinal chlorosis in between the veins while the veins stay green.
3. The chlorosis begins from the end opposite the leaf tip (i.e. it begins at the petiole).

I'm not experienced with hydro, so I can't tell you how to correct the deficiency.

If you were in soil i'd tell you to check your pH isn't to high--stay away from manganese and zinc, and that manure might be your best friend here.

orbad

orbad

Darn it. I have to agree. What causes a lockout of iron? I wonder if I'm feeding them too high?

orbad

orbad

Jacks professional:
* Guaranteed Analysis
*Total Nitrogen (N)**5%*
5% Nitrate Nitrogen
*Available Phosphate (P**2**O**5**)**12%*
*Soluble Potash (K**2**O)**26%*
*Magnesium (Mg)**6.32%*
6.32% water soluble magnesium (Mg)

*Boron (B)**0.05%*
*Copper (Cu)**0.015%*
0.015% Chelated Copper (Cu)
*Iron (Fe)**0.3%*
0.3% Chelated Iron (Fe)
*Manganese (Mn)**0.05%*
0.05% Chelated Manganese (Mn)
*Molybdenum (Mo)**0.01%*
*Zinc (Zn)**0.015%*
0.015% Chelated Zinc (Zn)

Calcium Nitrate:
* Guaranteed Analysis
*Total Nitrogen (N)**15.5%*
1.08% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
14.42% Nitrate Nitrogen
*Calcium (Ca)
**18%*

Copper effects iron doesn't it? I wonder if my tap has a lot of copper in it?

orbad

orbad

I added more pics and info on the anaemic mom in the jacks hydroponic thread in nutrients & fertilizers in case anyone was watching the issue.

orbad

orbad

14 days from cutting I have roots!!! Still waiting on my air pump and air stones. Got a Pondmaster AP40 coming and an 8" disc for the Res/ control bucket.

2013 03 09 120200 edit1

babyhughie586

babyhughie586

what up bro... really diggin ur setup.. i built a 10 bucket 8gal UC and a 8 bucket 5gal UC for my buddy... IMO i would get an ap-60 or ap-100 the more air to the roots the better.. put 2 air stones in each bucket and youll be golden.. Also if you have the money buy a chiller it will be the best investment to make I learned this my first grow, I almost lost my plants because of 2 days of high water temps during the begining of summer... Also what size water pump are you using?? you dont want to big of one because it will pull roots through the pvc and possibly clog up your return line.. for your system i would recomend a 350gph... I had a detailed build of my DIY just about an exact replica of my UC but the thread got lost when thcfarmer updated their servers...

babyhughie586

babyhughie586

also i forgot to mention your going to want to get a root zone conditioner to keep your roots nice and healthy bright white.. I have had success with Dutch master Zone, Aquashield, and now cultured solutions roots... i ran DM a+b and zone for 2 years with great results, i have recently just changed to Cultured Solutions to see what all the buzz is about with them so far so good with the CS..

orbad

orbad

what up bro... really diggin ur setup.. i built a 10 bucket 8gal UC and a 8 bucket 5gal UC for my buddy... IMO i would get an ap-60 or ap-100 the more air to the roots the better.. put 2 air stones in each bucket and youll be golden.. Also if you have the money buy a chiller it will be the best investment to make I learned this my first grow, I almost lost my plants because of 2 days of high water temps during the begining of summer... Also what size water pump are you using?? you dont want to big of one because it will pull roots through the pvc and possibly clog up your return line.. for your system i would recomend a 350gph... I had a detailed build of my DIY just about an exact replica of my UC but the thread got lost when thcfarmer updated their servers...
also i forgot to mention your going to want to get a root zone conditioner to keep your roots nice and healthy bright white.. I have had success with Dutch master Zone, Aquashield, and now cultured solutions roots... i ran DM a+b and zone for 2 years with great results, i have recently just changed to Cultured Solutions to see what all the buzz is about with them so far so good with the CS..

I don't have the funds to drop on a chiller yet. I have a plan of attack to control Res temps though. Tap comes out about 62-65° so add backs will drop it some. I also plan to keep a couple 2 gallon jugs in the freezer all the time to rotate out. I do plan to get either a legit or DIY chiller up and running though.

I like the DIY chiller idea, I just haven't seen it implemented as neatly as I'd like yet.

I'll look into ordering some DM Zone. I've run DWC before without anything for root health, but it can't hurt since all my flowering proverbial eggs will be in one under current basket.

Picked up a new bulb and some clay pellets today. Pump should be here Friday. Can't wait for the roots to hit the water. Feels like I've been waiting forever to get this show on the road.

2013 03 12 170301 edit0

ttystikk

ttystikk

I run jacks in an RDWC, and I have to run additional micros to eliminate deficiencies. Another source of iron deficiency could be the pump you're using- some of them pull iron out of solution, not sure why.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I ran all those root zone sterilants and they are all a dead end. Use aerated compost tea and reinoculate the system every few days.

orbad

orbad

I'm going to try and keep a sterile Res particularly until I can get a chiller. Things, even good ones, living in my Res freak me out a bit yet.

I want to crawl, then walk, then run. In the past I've taken on too much at once and didn't fully understand the symbiotic relationships I was playing with. This time I want to add things only when needed.

orbad

orbad

Lets get this show on the road!

2013 03 16 002808

2013 03 16 002747

12 purple diesel clones, 21 days from cutting. Gave the girls a B-1 foliar and Jack's 3/2/1 at 350ppm (.7 EC).

2DogWalker

Very clean bro, didn't notice seeing anything before but you might want to duct tape those lids or something to prevent light infiltration through the plastic. (Sorry if its been addressed all ready). Looks uber proper and clean yor gonna smashthis run oitta the park.

Kindest
2dw

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I run jacks in an RDWC, and I have to run additional micros to eliminate deficiencies. Another source of iron deficiency could be the pump you're using- some of them pull iron out of solution, not sure why.

this - if you're changing your nute solution weekly magnetic-driven impeller pumps will mess with your iron amounts. unless you want to amend your formula, the best solution is probably a twice-weekly res change.

orbad

orbad

Very clean bro, didn't notice seeing anything before but you might want to duct tape those lids or something to prevent light infiltration through the plastic. (Sorry if its been addressed all ready). Looks uber proper and clean yor gonna smashthis run oitta the park.

Kindest
2dw

Thanks! I have actually painted the buckets blue, then black, then white to address light. I will also affairs the top to the reflectix wrap in a day or two after the clones have settled.

this - if you're changing your nute solution weekly magnetic-driven impeller pumps will mess with your iron amounts. unless you want to amend your formula, the best solution is probably a twice-weekly res change.

I'm not running a mag drive pump and I've got a larger than normal control bucket so I'm hoping these wont be issues. But I've got my eyes and ears open.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm going to try and keep a sterile Res particularly until I can get a chiller. Things, even good ones, living in my Res freak me out a bit yet.

I want to crawl, then walk, then run. In the past I've taken on too much at once and didn't fully understand the symbiotic relationships I was playing with. This time I want to add things only when needed.

The flaw in your reasoning is this; whether you see them or not, the bugs are already in there. The only choice you really have is to decide which bugs you want. We don't live in a sterile environment, so choosing no bugs is not an option.

orbad

orbad

The flaw in your reasoning is this; whether you see them or not, the bugs are already in there. The only choice you really have is to decide which bugs you want. We don't live in a sterile environment, so choosing no bugs is not an option.
I've read lot of horror stories about under current style systems and living organisms. Seems they like to get out of control. Do you have any recommendations to what I should be adding?

Top Bottom