Organic Flower top dress

• Thread starter mrbong73
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mrbong73

So my next batch is getting ready to go into the flowering chamber and I wanted to share the top dress ingredients that I gave them to help them on their way.
Ok so in a 5 gal bucket I mixed the following:
2 cups Budswel dry mix
2 cups Agrowinn EWC
1 cup Bokashi bran (homemade with wheat bran and EM-1)
1/2 cup fish bone meal
1/4 cup super secret mix (see below)
1/4 cup azomite
1/4 cup oyster shell
1 tbs powdered baby oatmeal

All that mixed together and then applied about 1-1.5 cups per 3 gal. smart pot

Super secret mix:
3 cups Alfalfa meal
2 1/4 cups Kelp meal
1 cup azomite
1 cup greensand
1/4 cup Agrowinn minerals
1 cup soft rock phosphate
1 cup k mag (sul-po-mag)
1 cup fish bone meal
3/4 cup oyster shell
3/4 cup neem seed meal
1 cup soybean meal
1 cup fossil shell flour (food grade DE)

I keep this mix in a bucket and use it as needed for all my plants.

S

saner1r

Sounds like a good mix bro. You will need too post some pics and let us see the results.

M

mrbong73

Alternative to high priced bloom enhancer

Sounds like a good mix bro. You will need too post some pics and let us see the results.

Thanks. Will do.

On a side note: I wanted to share something interesting (to me anyway). I was looking at the ingredients for all the AN bloom enhancers and was noticing something.

All the ingredients are pretty much, magnesium and potassium.

Here are bud candy, hammerhead, kushie kush and overdrive

Now take a look at this website for sul-po-mag (aka kmag etc)
http://www.sul-po-mag.com/english/general/questions.htm

I got a 50lb bag for $23.
Plus it's 100% water soluable and in the correct form for plant absorbtion.

BudCandy GA bg
Hammerhead GA bg
Kushie Kush GA bg
Overdrive GA bg
altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Those both sound like excellent recipes; you have got the trace elements and micronutrients in abundance, that's for sure. What affect on pH does your top dress have? I almost never exclude dolomite because of its buffering properties. Do one or more of these other ingredients act as pH buffers?

M

mrbong73

Those both sound like excellent recipes; you have got the trace elements and micronutrients in abundance, that's for sure. What affect on pH does your top dress have? I almost never exclude dolomite because of its buffering properties. Do one or more of these other ingredients act as pH buffers?

Hey thanks altitudefarmer,

The earthworm castings and oyster shell can be seen as pH buffers. I know oyster shell is sometimes used in lieu of dolomite lime for that reason.
It's also got(is) calcium, which is good.
I really don't check pH of runoff so I don't know the answer to that one.

i don't have much peat in my mix so acid conditions aren't usually a problem.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Hey thanks altitudefarmer,

i don't have much peat in my mix so acid conditions aren't usually a problem.

Nice. I have been very impressed with the stability of the RO so far, vs the FFOF and SS4. I liked Happy Frog for a long time also, but FF quality overall has gone downhill in the last couple years, imo.

M

mrbong73

Nice. I have been very impressed with the stability of the RO so far, vs the FFOF and SS4. I liked Happy Frog for a long time also, but FF quality overall has gone downhill in the last couple years, imo.

Yeah I started my soil run with equal parts:
Roots
Happy Frog
Ocean Forest

Added some perlite and that was it.

Since then I've recycled that and added:
EWC
Compost
Pumice
Bokashi Bran
and all the ingredients above

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
So my next batch is getting ready to go into the flowering chamber and I wanted to share the top dress ingredients that I gave them to help them on their way.
Ok so in a 5 gal bucket I mixed the following:
2 cups Budswel dry mix
2 cups Agrowinn EWC
1 cup Bokashi bran (homemade with wheat bran and EM-1)
1/2 cup fish bone meal
1/4 cup super secret mix (see below)
1/4 cup azomite
1/4 cup oyster shell
1 tbs powdered baby oatmeal

All that mixed together and then applied about 1-1.5 cups per 3 gal. smart pot

Super secret mix:
3 cups Alfalfa meal
2 1/4 cups Kelp meal
1 cup azomite
1 cup greensand
1/4 cup Agrowinn minerals
1 cup soft rock phosphate
1 cup k mag (sul-po-mag)
1 cup fish bone meal
3/4 cup oyster shell
3/4 cup neem seed meal
1 cup soybean meal
1 cup fossil shell flour (food grade DE)

I keep this mix in a bucket and use it as needed for all my plants.
Looks an AWESOME mix, though I'd be missing the bat shit. I haven't touched my soft rock phosphate for a couple of years, same with the greensand (aren't they sort of the same thing? can't recall).

So, when do you apply this stuff? In other words, what will make you say, "Oh! Time to apply the Super Secret Mix!"?

Also, do you ever use urine for feeding?

M

mrbong73

Looks an AWESOME mix, though I'd be missing the bat shit. I haven't touched my soft rock phosphate for a couple of years, same with the greensand (aren't they sort of the same thing? can't recall).

So, when do you apply this stuff? In other words, what will make you say, "Oh! Time to apply the Super Secret Mix!"?

Also, do you ever use urine for feeding?

Thanks Seamaiden

I don't use much of the bat guano but I have a 20lb box of the stuff that was delivered by mistake ( I paid for 2lb) so I use it a little.
Soft Rock Phosphate is a good source of phosphorus and calcium. Use should toss some in your mix. good stuff
Greensand is another mineral source but I guess it takes a long time to break down so not sure how much use it is. I do recycle my soil.

I mix the super secret mix into my soil prior to transplanting clones( couple weeks before) along with fresh ewc and compost.
You can use it anytime though. It's pretty much all purpose. I sprinkle some around my garden plants also.

I mixed the flower top dress stuff and applied about 2 weeks before flip so it will have time to breakdown.
I will do another fungal tea as well to get things going.

I'm pretty sure I've pee'd on some of my garden plants before but not the meds. Good nitrogen source I'm sure.

cheers

HumboldtDr

HumboldtDr

Whats your ailment?
Supporter
Bump. One of my fav threads on here. Thanks MrB.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Nice Doc, I actually do this as well. Depending on veg or bloom the ingredients vary sul po mag is new to me and cant wait to add this to the mix for a weekly potassium spike throughout flower. I used nearly all the products above with the addition of bone meal, blood meal, guanos, frass and humic acid from bio ag. I need to pick up oyster shells which seems to work nicer than lime.

funny story I was at whole foods today and some woman was selling a product called bio k it was literally em1 and she had no idea what she was selling for the most part either. you can make it for pennies and may have the stuff already.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

I use a very similiar formula and the exact same soil that i've been reusin. You could prolly go a little less on the nutes for the 3 gallon smarties though, but just my opinion. Take it easy

HumboldtDr

HumboldtDr

Whats your ailment?
Supporter
I use this w/ some added guanos(Mocha, Fossilized Sb and Archilepago) and Rainbow mix grow and bloom for reamendments and top dressing. Couldnt be easier.

MWD-I love the oyster shell, and havent used lime in years. Try it out, I get the 'flour'(if your shop has a choice).

d420dool

d420dool

epsoma bio-tone all purpose 5-3-3, its my fave top dress so far,wicked easy i put some on about 3-4 weeks in and its amazing its got baccilus in it and alot of extra calcium too about 12percent, and the ingredients read like a super soil recipe ya kno

d420dool

d420dool

i got a bag of cherrystone oyster shells from my dad cuz he was makin clam chowder and crushed em by hand with a brick, afterwards i took the shells and strained the fine powder out and put that in my spike and layer blends,then i took the bigger pieces and mixed them into my soil tub globally, i love doin stuff myself like that. i used to use almost the whole line of AN, grow,micro,bloom,bb,bc,sensizym,h1,f1, voodoo,b52. the only things i use from them now r final phase, voodoo(spray underside of clone leaves works damm good) and thats about it, i find cooking ammendments into my soils beforehand like the rev and sub takes care of my nute demands all veg and about 3 weeks of flower. i used to have iron defs all the time, now that i precook greensand into my mix i dont have that prob ne more, ill put some shots up of the plant i did my 5-3-3 top dress on in a bit, i gotta go collect some water, ttyl

organicozarks

organicozarks

Keep in mind that rock phosphate can be up to 6% fluoride, and also contains heavy metals and polonium 210 which is radioactive. Greensand takes a long time to break down to the point where it really does much in cannabis growing. With kelp, and azomite you can get fast results.

You do have a good mix here though. The more teas you apply the more microbes, and the quicker the break down. I apply teas 1- 2 times per week. 2 times will get you giant frosty buds, but you will hate brewing that much tea. That is if you have multiple rooms.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Well I just can understand why you don't have worm castings in there? Your missing the most important part or any soil and that's worm castings, it took me a few years to get the old boys to change but even supersoil has it in it now. Go 20 to 25% worm castings and you will have no bugs, and some very happy girls. By the way top dressing is the best way to add to your plants health, tea's are a nice booster shot but top dressing keeps adding every time you water. If your into this organic growing in a big way I would suggest you read Teaming with Microbes and The compost tea brewing manual.

Bat shit can cause very serious respiratory illnesses stay the fuck away, it's not worth it. Also most bat shit is processed and a lot of the goodness is extracted before you get it.

I also add composted sheep shit to all my mixes.

Put some worm info in here for you. see below

Peace

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Part 1 :)

What are Worm Castings? Worm Castings are Mother Nature’s soil enrichment of choice. This rich humus-like digested output of the worm includes a wide range of nutrients and microbial life that all types of vegetation require to grow. Worm Castings are one of the most natural soil enrichments available and more importantly are environmentally friendly, all natural, easy to use, and safe to handle, with a pleasant earthy aroma.

What do Worm Castings do? Worm Castings restore soil health in many ways.
· A source of organic matter with lots of nutrients a nd moisture-holding capacity. Worm
Castings hold 9 times their weight in moisture, which is beneficial in drought
conditions .
· Adds active microbial life to the soil, allowing it to slowly release and make the
valuable nutrient and trace minerals more available to tender plant roots.
· Rich in growth hormones and vitamins, and acts as a powerful biocide against
diseases and nematodes.
· A natural aerator, allowing oxygen to permeate the root zone to improve drainage and
encourage root growth.
· Restores soil without fear of burning or harming tender plant life.
Restoring the soil makes nutrients more available to crops, turf applications and desired
vegetation. This means there is less need for synthetic fertilizers and pesticides. Best of all, Worm Castings contain no toxins and are therefore safe to use without fear of ground water contamination.

How are Worm Castings different from Compost?
Worm Castings are significantly better than compost. They are the result of carefully selected compost that is fully digested by worm. This makes Worm Castings an entirely mature product. It contains no pathogenic agents, and is considered a biological product which is convenient to handle. Worm Castings contain a far more diverse microbial population than other composts. These micro-organisms play an important part in soil fertility. Not only do they mineralize complex substances into plant-available nutrients, but bacteria in the worm’s digestive system also synthesize a whole series of biologically active substances including plant growth hormones.

How do Worm Castings work?
Worm Castings are an all-purpose natural soil enrichment that is pure earthworm castings. It is 100% non-toxic and odourless. It is the product of aerobically composted vegetable scraps fed to earthworms, and free from weed seeds, toxins and pathogens.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Part 2 :cool:

WORM CASTINGS

Worm Castings improve Soil Structure in all Soil Types
Worm Castings restore soil structure. The term “soil structure” is used to describe the way soil particles are grouped into aggregates. Soil structure is affected by biological activity, organic matter, and cultivation and tillage practices. Soil fertility and structure are closely related. An ideal soil structure is often described as granular or crumb-like. It provides for good movement of air and water through a variety of different pore sizes. Plant roots extend down, and soil animals – including small earthworms – travel through the spaces between the aggregates. An ideal soil structure is also stable and resistant to erosion. The clay-humus complex, in combination with adequate calcium which helps to bind the aggregates together, forms the basis of this structure. The glutinous by-products of soil bacteria and the hair-like threads of actinomycetes and fungi mycelium add to soil stability. All tillage operations change soil structure. Excessive cultivation, especially for seedbed preparation, can harm soil structure. Working clay soil when wet leads to compaction and subsequent soil puddling. The soil is easily puddled by rain, easily eroded, and will have poor aeration. Tillage, when too dry, shatters the aggregates. Soil structure can be enhanced by careful cultivation, growing sod crops and returning crop residues. Worm Castings (organic matter) and the humification process improve structural stability, and can rebuild degraded soil structures. Therefore it is vital to return organic material to the soil and to maintain its biological activity, which helps to improve the soil structure.

How Worm Castings work with Soil pH
Worm Castings act like a buffer for plants. Where soil pH levels are too high or low, Worm Castings make soil nutrients available again to the plant. Compared to the soil itself, Worm Castings are much higher in bacteria, organic material and available nitrogen, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium.

WORM CASTINGS

Soil Biology
Soil organisms play an important role in forming and stabilizing soil structure. In a healthy soil ecosystem, fungal filaments and exudates from microbes and earthworms help bind soil particles together into stable aggregates that improve water infiltration and protect soil from erosion, crusting and compaction. Macrospores formed by earthworms and other burrowing creatures facilitate the movement of water into and through soil. Good soil structure enhances root development, which further improves the soil.
Restoring soil structure helps reduce runoff and improve the infiltration and filtering capacity of soil. In a healthy soil ecosystem, soil organisms reduce the impacts of pollution by buffering, detoxifying- and decomposing potential pollutants. Bacteria and other microbes are increasingly used for remediation of contaminated water and soil.
In a healthy soil ecosystem, soil biota regulates the flow and storage of nutrients in many ways. For example, they decompose plant and animal residue, fix atmospheric nitrogen, transform nitrogen and other nutrients among various organic and inorganic forms, release plant available forms of nutrients, mobilize phosphorus, and form mycorrhizal (fungus -root) associations for nutrient exchange. Even applied fertilizers may pass through soil organisms before being utilized by crops. A relatively small number of soil organisms cause plant disease. A healthy soil ecosystem has a diverse soil food web that keeps pest organisms in check through competition and predation. Some soil organisms release compounds that enhance plant growth or reduce disease susceptibility. Plants may exude specific substances that attract beneficial organisms
or repel harmful ones, especially when they are under stress from activities such as grazing.

Microbial Activity

Worm Castings stimulate microbial activity. Although earthworms derive their nutrition from microorganisms, many more microorganisms (such as bacteria, fungi and actinomycetes) are present in their feces or casts than in the organic matter that they consume. As organic matter passes through their intestines, it is fragmented and inoculated with microorganisms. Increased microbial activity facilitates the cycling of nutrients from organic matter and their conversion into forms readily taken up by plants.
Compared to synthetic fertilize r formulations, Worm Castings contain relatively low
concentrations of actual nutrients, but they perform important functions, which the synthetic formulations do not. They increase the organic content and consequently the water-holding capacity of the soil. They improve the physical structure of the soil, which allows more air to get to plant roots. Where organic sources are used for fertilizer, bacterial and fungal activity increases in the soil. Mycorrhizal fungi, which make other nutrients more available to plants, thrive in soil where the organic matter content is high.

Water Availability
Worm Castings contain a high percentage of humus. Humus helps soil particles form into clusters, which create channels for the passage of air and improve its capacity to hold water. The castings are in the form of tiny pellets which are coated with a gel. This crumb-like structure helps improve drainage and aeration.

Balancing Soil Nutrient
The ability of the microbiologically active Worm Castings to regenerate the nutrients from the atmosphere, organic matter and water allows them to replace those lost from chemical fertilizers by leaching, plant uptake and chemical reactions. In relation to moisture holding capacity and improvement of soil structure, chemical fertilizers have negligible effect, as they primarily consist of water-soluble salts. On the other hand, the aggregate nature of the Worm Castings has appreciable water holding capacity, and its use leads to restored soil structure and increases nutrient reserves in soil. The presence of nitrogen fixing bacteria in Worm Castings means that nitrogen can be fixed
from the atmosphere and converted to plant soluble nitrates. Worm Castings are rich in humus, which contains essential plant nutrients and micronutrients. Moreover, these castings are also rich in vitamins, beneficial microorganisms, antibiotics and enzymes.
Worm Castings restore soil, will not wash out with watering, and will not burn even delicate plants. Worm castings have a very soil-like texture and all the necessary nutrients that plants, crops and all types of vegetation require. The castings slowly release nutrients when required by the plants. Castings are high in soluble nitrogen, potash, potassium, calcium, magnesium and many other trace elements. Worm Castings allow plants to quickly and easily absorb all essential nutrients and trace elements. Because the earthworm grinds and uniformly mixes the nutrients and trace elements into simple forms (1 to 2 microns), plants need only minimal effort to absorb these nutrients.

SUGGESTED APPLICATION RATES
Potted Plants, Seeds, Seed Flats · Use 1 part Worm Castings to 3 parts potting soil mix

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Part 3 :D

Worm castings vs. Chemical fertilizers in Soil

Criteria for Comparison Chemical Fertilizers Worm Castings

Macro Nutrient Contents
Mostly contains only one (N in urea) or at the most two (N & P in DAP)
nutrients in any one type of chemical fertilizer
Contains all nutrients in sufficient
quantities, i.e., nitrogen (N),
phosphorus (P) and potassium (K)
Secondary Nutrient Contents
Not Available
Calcium (Ca), manganese (Mn) and sulphur (S) are available in required quantities
Micro Nutrients Contents
Not Available
Zinc (Zn), boron (B), manganese, (Mn), iron (Fe), copper (Cu), molybdenum (Mo) and chorine (Cl)
are also present
pH balancing
Distorts soil pH, which creates saline and alkaline conditions
Helps control soil pH and corrects the salinity and alkalinity in soil
EC Correction
Creates imbalance in soil EC, affecting nutrients assimilation
Helps balance the EC to improve plant nutrient adsorption
Organic Carbon
Not Available
Very high organic carbon and humus contents improve soil characteristics
Moisture Retention Capacity
Reduces moisture retention capacity of the soil
Increases moistures retention capacity of the soil
Soil Texture
Damages soil texture to reduce aeration
Improves soil texture for better aeration
Beneficial Bacteria and Fungi
Reduces biological activities and thus the fertility is impaired
Very high biological life improves the soil fertility and productivity on sustainable basis
Plant Growth Hormones
Not Available
Sufficient quantity helps in better growth and production

Top Bottom