Organic Grow

• Thread starter Xviolator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Xviolator

Xviolator

Is that just straw as a top dress?
Yes - Barley straw.
Every month or so I remove it and put down a couple tbsps of organic kelp meal and insect frass, cover with 1-2 inches of organic worm castings, put the mulch back over and water until it just starts coming out the bottom of the pot.

Last edited:
Irietime

Irietime

Yes - Barley straw.
Every month or so I remove it and put down a couple tbsps of organic kelp meal and insect frass, cover with 1-2 inches of organic worm castings, put the mulch back over and water until it just starts coming out the bottom of the pot.
Nice. Do you use that for veg and flower? Does it need to be barley straw or will any non sprouting straw do?

Xviolator

Xviolator

Nice. Do you use that for veg and flower? Does it need to be barley straw or will any non sprouting straw do?

Yes. Veg and flower. The mulch helps in keeping the soil moist. There'll be much less watering with a good layer of mulch down.

Any non sprouting straw will work, however, I have found a few barley seeds in the straw. I just add them to the pot. If it sprouts, cool.

Irietime

Irietime

Yes. Veg and flower. The mulch helps in keeping the soil moist. There'll be much less watering with a good layer of mulch down.

Any non sprouting straw will work, however, I have found a few barley seeds in the straw. I just add them to the pot. If it sprouts, cool.
Yeah, I use straw as mulch in my veggie garden for moisture retention, just haven't used it on indoor cannabis. I like your method I think I'll try it on my next round. This is my first indoor grow and I'm amazed at how little I've had to water my plants, given there only a month and a week old. I'm sure as they get bigger they'll need more waterings, but I've only watered four times!!

Xviolator

Xviolator

Thanks. I'm sure the veggie garden is thriving. This is my first organic indoor grow and from my research having some form of mulch is essential.

sKully

sKully

December 25 - Transplanted to 5 gal geo pots. Planted cover crop about a week ahead of transplanting. The OG kush is growing up at a much faster pace. The GSCX is growing out. I have the OG tied down for now. Probably veg another 4- 5 wks. Really have no choice - flower tent is full until then. Transplanting to 15 gal geo pots a week or 2 before flipping.

GSCX
View attachment 655730

OG
View attachment 655731

Looking good bro!

Xviolator

Xviolator

Any updates? Hope all is well.[/QUOTE

All is well. Just vegging waiting on current flowering tent to finish off in about 4 1/2 weeks. Until then, weekly compost teas and IPM foliar sprays.

The plants look healthy and are vigorously growing. Especially the OG. I'll upload more pics this evening.

Thanks Zen

Xviolator

Xviolator

Jan 9 - 1 day before weekly compost tea. GSCX picking up growth. OG always standing tall.
GSCX

20170109 134435

OG
20170109 133501

Last edited:
MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Never seen a GSC cross with that kind of structure, looking way compact for her. How much longer are you vegging for?

Xviolator

Xviolator

I agree. Over the last 2 wks it's picked up some. I'm going to veg roughly another month or so.

Xviolator

Xviolator

My current veg setup will soon become my seedlings/clone setup. Running out of room. One of my biggest goals going into this was to save some money (eventually this will happen), buying a 4 x 4 setup I know isn't helping but felt it to be indispensable based on what I'm trying to achieve.

For the new veg setup, so far I've bought the 4x4 gorilla lite tent, a 4ft 8 bulb T5 (6500 k), and a Feliz Dual Spectrum Fluorescent 250W CFL . I need to get a good fan/filter. I'm thinking the Black Ops 6" x 24" 550 CFM/Hurricane 6" 435 CFM combo which will run me about $200 on amazon.

I sowed 2 new plants (Super Silver Haze & Bubblegum) a little over 3 weeks ago. This time around I topped both on the 4th node. Same feeding schedule as the OG/GSCX.

Dec 23
Dec23

Jan 5 - Around 2 weeks

Jan05

Jan 16 - A little over 3 weeks

Jan16

The OG and GSCX are growing healthy and fast. Pics coming.

Last edited:
Irietime

Irietime

My current veg setup will soon become my seedlings/clone setup. Running out of room. One of my biggest goals going into this was to save some money (eventually this will happen), buying a 4 x 4 setup I know isn't helping but felt it to be indispensable based on what I'm trying to achieve.

For the new veg setup, so far I've bought the 4x4 gorilla lite tent, a 4ft 8 bulb T5 (6500 k), and a Feliz Dual Spectrum Fluorescent 250W CFL . I need to get a good fan/filter. I'm thinking the Black Ops 6" x 24" 550 CFM/Hurricane 6" 435 CFM combo which will run me about $200 on amazon.

I sowed 2 new plants (Super Silver Haze & Bubblegum) a little over 3 weeks ago. This time around I topped both on the 4th node. Same feeding schedule as the OG/GSCX.

Dec 23
View attachment 660564

Jan 5 - Around 2 weeks

View attachment 660565

View attachment 660566

Super pretty!! They like their teas. It's probably in your thread, but are you going to use teas through bloom?

sKully

sKully

Dec 23
View attachment 660564

Jan 5 - Around 2 weeks

View attachment 660565

View attachment 660566

good stuff :)

Xviolator

Xviolator

Super pretty!! They like their teas. It's probably in your thread, but are you going to use teas through bloom?

Thanks Irie.

For early bloom I'll continue to use brew teas and top dresses. Probably sub the kelp for some soft rock phosphate. Starting around wk 2 or 3 of bloom I'll start using barley & corn SST teas and a couple of non brewed teas.

Irietime

Irietime

Thanks Irie.

For early bloom I'll continue to use brew teas and top dresses. Probably sub the kelp for some soft rock phosphate. Starting around wk 2 or 3 of bloom I'll start using barley & corn SST teas and a couple of non brewed teas.
Nice, I used worm tea with kelp and fish almost to the second week of bloom and just switched to Buddha Bloom. Thought about teas all the way through, but I should study up on bloom teas and admittedly I got a little lazy. But plants just love the teas!! Peace, keep up the killer grow yo

Xviolator

Xviolator

Nice, I used worm tea with kelp and fish almost to the second week of bloom and just switched to Buddha Bloom. Thought about teas all the way through, but I should study up on bloom teas and admittedly I got a little lazy. But plants just love the teas!! Peace, keep up the killer grow yo

Cool. Thanks again Irie. I agree completely, they love the teas. My most recent grow I practically did the same thing except I used HydroPlex. They're into week 5 of bloom. With just the combo of teas, top dressings and a bloom enhancer your plants will thrive, if dialed up correctly. This time around completely bottle and ph meter free! I'll definitely try and make sure to keep updated posts.

sKully

sKully

Cool. Thanks again Irie. I agree completely, they love the teas. My most recent grow I practically did the same thing except I used HydroPlex. They're into week 5 of bloom. With just the combo of teas, top dressings and a bloom enhancer your plants will thrive, if dialed up correctly. This time around completely bottle and ph meter free! I'll definitely try and make sure to keep updated posts.

keep us updated. You've taken path very familiar to me with your style. Looking forward to seeing your success.

Top Bottom