Organic to UC 8XL

• Thread starter woodsmaneh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Organic to UC 8XL13

Well I have been growing organic for about 9 years and have grown just about every way you can. I decided to get legal so I need to cut back on my plant count, hence the UC 8XL. I saw MedMerry's starting a grow so did some looking around and what the hell here I am. I ordered the system on Jan. 24 and it got here today. Cal to Ontario Canada. Cost me $1700.00 delivered to the door. I think I can do it all for around 5K. The water chiller caught me off guard another $1100.00 and lights/bulbs ect. $1000.00 and food $900.00. I'm going to start with 4 1000W HPS and if I have enough cash I will add 3 1000w MH in a couple weeks. I will be running Canna Aqua foods and will follow the recommended feeding as per the Canna calculator on their web site. I will not be using much or if any Canna Boost, it's just too expensive. $750.00 for 5 liters. They recomend 988/1976ml for 130 gallons for 8 weeks, do the math = 8 x $1230.00 !!!!!!

So what will I do for my first grow, I think I will go with my genetics, started breeding by mistake a couple times so it will be a cross of DJ Shorts New True Blueberry, Freezeland (HA Montreal) and NL. I call it Blue Storm or BS for short, named after my wifes Pitty, the BS part was a bonus. So I'm growing BS in a UC with Canna and 4k to start.

Now all I have to do is get it together, clean it. Waiting on the chiller, should be in Friday. I'm building a new room from scratch so will post pic's and info as I go.

My expectations are to get 900g per light or 1 pound per plant. In dirt I get 900g per 1000w with 16 plants.

Any advice or help, feel free to let me know. :character0029:

Great place you guys got here, real nice

Peace and positive vibes your way

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
yeah dirt 16 plant 900g i know a dude who make 980g with a 600w and 16 SAGE Cut.
Im a organic soil grower too n hope to try a UC soon ...Good luck on ur project

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

8XL is suited for 2x 1000......do you mean you're looking for 8 pounds off of the 8XL?

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

8XL is suited for 2x 1000......do you mean you're looking for 8 pounds off of the 8XL?

My mistake I have the UC8xl13, it can have 2, 3 or 4 lights, I got this from the site under room layout. 2 1000w won't do the trick for 8 loafs with 8 plants. I hope to hang the 4 1000w hps than add 3 1000w mh after I remove the reflectors.:)

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

With that much light it might be worth increasing your spacing to 35" centers to allow for the plants to spread out a little further.

More space with all that light should allow for you to meet your yield expectations IMO

C

crossouttheiis

I agree with ucmenow increase em so plants have more room to grow into. I would get the boost to run their full regiment. I have a buddy who runs it and swears by it. Were those rates posted for full strength or half? The would drop the cost in half if that's the case

C

crossouttheiis

Your system will hold less than ninety gallons when full. I would fill my eve nine to the bottom of the net pots which is about 90 gallons....fyi

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Ya I think Im at around 80 gallons in my 8xl 13s

The documents for mine say 130 any how, yup I can cut the food in 1/2 I think I'm going to run what Jack did in his first grow. Looks like a formula for success.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I sent a question to Canna about using Canna zym and the Aqua line of products and what would they recommend I use in the UC, this is what I got back???

Hello,

If I understand your question, while we recommend using Aqua in re-circulating systems, because of the massive amounts of air injected into your system, maybe Substra is a better option. The pH controls or buffer used in the Aqua line to stabilize pH will react with the CO2 in the air to drive pH up. Substra does not have this carbonate buffer and will react normally. It will still be important that you stay on top of the pH no matter which nutrients you use because both CO2 and Oxygen will react with the individual nutrients and force the pH around with any nutrient package.

Cannazym is a recommended product in all our feed charts and with all nutrients. Each feed chart will have the recommended products shown at the top and then give the correct amount to use.

Hope this helps,

Ralph B.

--------------------------------------------------------
CANNA Research North America
It is not possible to reply to this email directly, please use the contact form on the website if you have more questions.

C

crossouttheiis

The documents for mine say 130 any how, yup I can cut the food in 1/2 I think I'm going to run what Jack did in his first grow. Looks like a formula for success.

That is the total capacity of the buckets. You want to run your water level at the bottom of the netpots.

M

MediMary

Dan copy pasted and sent the info along, Big thanks to woodmaneh for hitting up canna in the first place.

Canna in blue
Dan in Red

If I understand your question, while we recommend using Aqua in
re-circulating systems, because of the massive amounts of air injected into
your system, maybe Substra is a better option.

Highly Aerated Water Culture is still a relatively new hydroponics method, this being said, many in the hydro industry are far less familiar with the actual ins and outs of modern RDWC systems than you might think. First and foremost our UC, though very well aerated would not qualify as having "massive amounts of air injected" into it. This is by design, given excessive aeration can tend to cause minerals held in solution to precipitate out....causing the water chemistry to become unstable. It's been through years of experimentation that we were able to achieve a balance between beneficial aeration and nutrient stability.

I would classify "mass aeration" as what occurs at waste water treatment facilities to purge contaminants out of solution. In this case its the actual physical action of the "air" being forced through the solution that causes the precipitation of the impurities in the water. Once these impurities are separated from the H2O molecule they use sequestering agents to bound the waste into chelated clusters which fall to the bottom of the waste treatment ponds.

The UC has been intentionally sized with an aeration system that is far less than is necessary to cause this precipitation. It's only in the event that excessive amounts of minerals are added into the solution that some precipitates out and can cause drifting pH. This is one of the reasons running nutes at 1/2 - 2/3 strength is so much more effective in the UC than higher ppm's.

It seems to me that Canna, as well as most other nute manufacturers are not yet testing they're solutions in modern day water culture systems. As a result they lack the hands on experience necessary to advise growers how to best utilize they're nutes in these applications. This is why open discussions being had by water culture practitioners is so important, As this is where the sculpting of these new usage guidelines are taking place.....this is in essence the front lines for modern day water culture.

The pH controls or buffer used in the Aqua line to stabilize pH will react with the CO2 in the air to
drive pH up. Substra does not have this carbonate buffer and will react
normally.

Canna is a world class nutrient manufacturer so it's worth paying heed to the advice they give. Though, I seriously doubt a nutrient designed for drain to waste is the ticket for the UC. The Aqua Series has proven in countless applications to be the proper companion for the UC. Where I think growers may run into problems is when combing too many things into solution with a given base nute.

It's important to remember that chemists, plant physiologists and botanists have spent countless hours refining their formulations to suit optimal plant growth......if you're choosing a nutrient based on their reputation, trust they're recommendations and avoid making convoluted cocktails of nutes. Water culture is prone to perform very well when water chemistry is well balanced and poorly when it's not, avoid getting to Avant Garde.
Though these nutrient cocktails can work in well in soilless apps they don't often translate well into water culture.

It will still be important that you stay on top of the pH no
matter which nutrients you use because both CO2 and Oxygen will react with
the individual nutrients and force the pH around with any nutrient package.

This is a fact.....stay diligent when keeping a nutrient solution. Keep in mind that we recommend letting pH ride between 5.5 - 6.5 for best results. In many cases micro managing your pH can result in more problems than answers. Though if keeping it locked between 5.8-6 is best for you I'd recommend a pH doser....you can pic up fairly inexpensive ones through aquarium suppliers.

Cannazym is a recommended product in all our feed charts and with all
nutrients. Each feed chart will have the recommended products shown at the
top and then give the correct amount to use.

Use it at reduced dosages for best results in the UC.

Hope my input is helpful.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

WOW a mini lesson, I look like a horse eating thistles I got such a grin on my mug, Thank you both Dan (we are not worthy, as I bow) and MM buddy tomorrow I start putting it together. I will put this in my log book. Steve Job's could learn a thing or two from Dan about clearing things up and were all happy. Peace and Positive Vibes your way.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Well got it together today took a couple hours today and 1 yesterday. Got some extra parts, a nice filter for the mag-drive that goes on the tee on the end manifold and a strange green curved piece?? I used KY and it went well, struggled with the short pipes more than anything, just need to work them side to side. I took pics but kinda boring nothing going on. I think it should be rocking by the end of the week, I hope.

R

RMCG

Well got it together today took a couple hours today and 1 yesterday. Got some extra parts, a nice filter for the mag-drive that goes on the tee on the end manifold and a strange green curved piece?? I used KY and it went well, struggled with the short pipes more than anything, just need to work them side to side. I took pics but kinda boring nothing going on. I think it should be rocking by the end of the week, I hope.

Does anyone know wtf that green piece is for?

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Place it under the return manifold facing curved side up.....it braces up the heavy return manifold.

Top Bottom