Outdoor DWC Big Girl...

• Thread starter Oceanside
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Oceanside

Oceanside

Thought i would try my hand at some hydro! I'm a dirt farmer at heart but just for kicks i gave this a run! Big Girl is the strain and I'm not sure of her lineage but she loves the modified Lucas she lives in.. The same plant was put in my soilless mix and is quite healthy but not THROBBING like the bucket. This has peaked my interest in doing a hydro run.. The taste is the only thing thats has me on the fence. The taste and smell of well cured organic buds is tough to match. Thanks for taking a look!

Peace
Oceanside

Photo 37
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

How are you planning on keeping the reservoir cool? I had the same thought this year, but did not actually undertake the project due to the rest of my garden taking much more of my time than I had expected. My idea for keeping the rez cool was to bury most of the bucket, but like I said, I just didn't get to it this year. Keep us posted on your plants progress.

Oceanside

Oceanside

SG... The reflectix is all i have done for heat.. It has reached the high 90's and i have noticed no slowing in growth or heat related issues..

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Have you been keeping track of the rez temperatures? I would like to know what your temps are inside the reservoir.

Oceanside

Oceanside

I have not checked the res temps ever.. It's got to be warm in there because it's in the sun 3/4 of the day.. I'll check right now for you.. I'ts 88 right now outside.. Give me a moment.

Oceanside

Oceanside

The res temp is 75.2 and the PH is 6.0... PPM's are 500 on a .5 scale and the bucket is chocker block full of roots!!! This is the first time i have looked since it was a small plant.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Awesome, that's good to know. 75 is not nearly as warm as I thought it would be, definitely a safe temperature for your roots. Its awesome that your roots are looking nice.

Oceanside

Oceanside

Thanks SG! I have done res changes every two weeks and top off with full strength.

Peace
Oceanside

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

How do you find it doing rez changes? I would imagine with a large plant it would be a bit difficult to change out the reservoir.

Oceanside

Oceanside

To drain the res i just undue the sight tube and turn the fitting and let it drain... Easy peasy!

OC

Sir Puffs Alott

Sir Puffs Alott

I bury my res. ;)
It is a converted kitty litter bucket, a little over five gallons. :confused:
I also use a piece of Styrofoam to stop light pen on the lid. o_O
:eek: [I have dreams of setting up a water storage tank underground some day.]:confused:

It get's over 100* :mad: where I am at and my res stays relatively chilly. :)
The roots seem to love it as does the plant. :D
One day soon I shall post some pics. :rolleyes:

Chobble

Chobble

I bury my res. ;)
It is a converted kitty litter bucket, a little over five gallons. :confused:
I also use a piece of Styrofoam to stop light pen on the lid. o_O
:eek: [I have dreams of setting up a water storage tank underground some day.]:confused:

It get's over 100* :mad: where I am at and my res stays relatively chilly. :)
The roots seem to love it as does the plant. :D
One day soon I shall post some pics. :rolleyes:

I have a 100 gallon DWC designed for a hydroponics class. Im just using one big pump. The end concept was to bury it though to keep rez temps down. The earth should do a pretty good job at insulating and keeping it cool. Especially if you add like an inch of some type of insulation on the top (for example Styrofoam).

Anyways outdoor DWC is very cool and has interested me a lot. Im going to build this monstrosity next summer. Really stoked to see how it works.

Props for being adventorous though :D You should really check your rez temps though and let us know.

Chobble

Sir Puffs Alott

Sir Puffs Alott

I have a 100 gallon DWC designed for a hydroponics class. Im just using one big pump. The end concept was to bury it though to keep rez temps down. The earth should do a pretty good job at insulating and keeping it cool. Especially if you add like an inch of some type of insulation on the top (for example Styrofoam).

Anyways outdoor DWC is very cool and has interested me a lot. Im going to build this monstrosity next summer. Really stoked to see how it works.

Props for being adventorous though :D You should really check your rez temps though and let us know.

Chobble

Thanks Chobble and good luck next year, I cannot wait to see how it turns out.
Today I put a digital thermometer in the res and at the hottest part of the day it was 86* & the res stays at 74.8*. I will check night and morning temps tomorrow.
It will be around 98* tops tomorrow so I will see if the res temps rise any.

Top Bottom