Outdoor Farmers When Ya Hacking And What Ya Hacking???

• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

@LocalGrowGuy, when you made that dry ice hash with fresh bud, did you have to freeze it prior to sifting? Or does the dry ice instant freeze it and you can use freshly trimmed trim? Also, after the sifting of fresh trim is the hash ready for you to enjoy or do you let it dry / cure a few weeks? All the dry ice hash I have made has been from dried trim.
Apologies for missing this.

The most important part comes after sifting.

I've done it a ton of different ways. In my (limited) experience, getting the temps down quick is key. I would say if you have nugs that are golf ball size down to popcorn size then they should be frozen first. My preferred method is to take a branch, clip/pull fan leaves and cut off edges of fan leaves leaving plant matter with trichomes and not much else. If I am running something that is a bit dry then it can go right in to the bucket. I've tried to use larger chunks of dry ice to break up the herb but after a few runs there was more green than I wanted. Now I don't imitate a paint shaker, but sift the dry ice and nugs together. I think the more contact your plant material has with the screen, the quicker it will separate itself from the unwanted green stuff that might make it through the bags. The process takes more time but I find it to produce a stellar product.

The outside of the buckets as well as the bottom of the screen will get clogged by water in the air or in the buds. The dry ice sinks to the bottom of the bucket which (I think, I'm not a rocket surgeon) pushes the oxygen out. I either take a break or do smaller batches to combat the screen blockage. I will grade the finished product by timing the sift, seeing the color I want, collect, keep sloshing, usually I'll take 3 batches, one 30 seconds, another 30 seconds, and a final one to get all the rest. The first two are always fire and the last might be a bit green and have some plant matter in it, but it's still tits for joints or topping bowls. In a perfect world I would jar and cure just like flower, it doesn't take as long. Boveda packs or hygrometers with humidity control are good to have. The ones I use are Xicar and as big as a quarter. The water will add moisture to the end product. I think the extra moisture helps keep the flavor profile and the smell, and it adds to the marshmallow effect, which is nothing more than the final product clumps together light brown sugar. I think that light and oxygen degrade the product quickly turning it brown/gold. I think keeping it humid keeps it longer, but be careful storing in jars, the brosef had some in a jar he forgot to burp and he got some mildew on the top of the jar. This was over five days and a full mason jar that hadn't been dried, just processed. First and last time that happened.

If you have fresh frozen I would say go for it, maybe add a bit more ice. I would gently roll the bucket letting the dry ice get everything cold. I think that the dry ice gets fresh cut herb cold quickly, negating the need to dry. I have been happy with both methods, my process depends on the product. My first couple of runs were nugs, and I tried to shake the bucket violently, hoping the now-frozen buds would bust apart when it hit the top and sides of the bucket, some did, some didn't, but there was a lot of plant matter that was broken up enough to go through the screens.

I think the most important part for me, is finding the right strain. 14er's Magik has been an incredible strain for me with this method. I don't think it's anything more than dumb luck, it most definitely isn't my skill. I can't say enough that I am no master grower and that YMMV. The cut we had was a bit on the airy side, but it more than made up for it on the nose, and the yield was still better than average. I have nothing bad to say about that strain.

I think it is important to limit oxygen and to remove excess moisture. My next batch I am going to use a ceramic disk designed to keep brown sugar moist, but I'm using it backwards, putting it in dry and taking it out and replacing that with another one that is in rotation. Hopefully this helps to more efficiently move moisture from the sift into the disc.

If your stuff dries out too quickly, if you start with powder dry material, there is a higher likelihood you will end up with hay. My limited experience has shown me slower is better assuming you have good control over the environment. Live sift/dry ice extract will eventually lose the nose and be closer to kief. As long as I can ball it up like playdoh I'm happy.

Jebus I am wordy. Apologies.

frebo

frebo

SSShhhhhhhh! The bitches be sleepin'! (we obviously haven't started the process here yet)
Did it rain everywhere? We hope to start by Friday. I bought a gas powered leaf blower. It seems to work pretty well blowing the water off the girls.

scoop

scoop

We had a nice cloudburst this AM here in the central Rockies. Glad my stuff was covered....they don't need the water and I think it's hard on the trichs this close to harvest. IMO, covering them is the way to go...though it's a damn pain in the ass rolling up/dropping all of this fucking plastic in the AM/PM.....

Like I said before...one minute they are all covered up and wearing their sweaters...and the next they are falling all over themselves flapping their appendages in the sun/breeze.....
IMG 0116
IMG 0118
IMG 0117

BudBogart

BudBogart

NorCal here. Rained Sunday night pretty intense for a few minutes, then wet all night. The cages and especially the netting saved the day. I shook water from the branches (next time I will wear a rain coat) and didn't find any broken branches.
The next several days should be sunny here.

420bassmastr

420bassmastr

We've got a couple more 70+ degree days here in Michigan, hopefully the Damn rain will hold off an give me a few days of sunshine that'd be great! I think Friday/Saturday the lows are supposed to dip into the 40's. I figure depending on the rain I'll be harvesting. Takin down sour diesel, grapefruit ice, cherry bomb, and raspberry haze. Might leave the haze, depending upon the weather forecast. Have seen the heli-cop's twice now lol. Anyone else have a fly over?

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
We've got a couple more 70+ degree days here in Michigan, hopefully the Damn rain will hold off an give me a few days of sunshine that'd be great! I think Friday/Saturday the lows are supposed to dip into the 40's. I figure depending on the rain I'll be harvesting. Takin down sour diesel, grapefruit ice, cherry bomb, and raspberry haze. Might leave the haze, depending upon the weather forecast. Have seen the heli-cop's twice now lol. Anyone else have a fly over?
Fly over LOL, feel sorry for ya bud.
We used to cringe at fly overs....
OH OH OH.. Cherry Bomb got to love that one....

420bassmastr

420bassmastr

I got my card 6 years or so ago, ever since then it's almost every year. When corn is behind my place they get crazy. Flew over 5x one year, the 5th was in November. Wtf?

scoop

scoop

lol, all that for a little rain?

Laugh all you want.

They are actually covered because of FROST. Our nighttime temps have been in the 30's for a good 2 weeks here. Without the cover I'd have to chop it all early. The covers will also allow me to heat the space and extend the season so the Cherry Slyder can fully finish. We don't have the luxury of a long growing season here like Cali and other areas do.

The rain protection is just a bonus....as is the HAIL protection. I lost 12 of 24 plants last year to hail so I made sure there was no repeat this season. (thus the cages up and over each plant that are easily covered if shitty weather threatens)

and guess what? NO FUCKING LEAF BLOWER NEEDED! hahahaha....

34F out there right now...and them bizzitches are still chuggin along. 3 days of this and we are back into the low 40's for lows and 70's for highs.

And you chopped WHEN? :D

best of luck on the finish Colorado....

EDIT: 31F.......... please keep laughing....

Last edited:
Underthesun

Underthesun

Fly overs weekly in the frontrange foothills, but I have a greenhouse and legal. They are saving lives, looking at construction sites, and other things I think though. I'm sure they are looking for illegal grows in the woods also.

A rough Colorado storm could destroy your crop in 2 minutes. This ain't CA.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Frosty visited us last night, not real bad hopefully our tomatoes survived.....
Had covered and heated majority left a few out a bit of frost but should be fine,,,,

BudBogart

BudBogart

We had an up close and personal flyover on June 16th. They flew straight to my house, turned and came directly to the garden which I happened to be tending, did a 360 turn over the center of the garden and then left the area. Just over tree top height. I think my "neighbor" reported my grow. Definitely an unnerving experience.

scoop

scoop

No flyovers here per se' >looking for weed<....but when the forest fire was raging 7 miles south of here in July we had over 50 copters/planes/jets fly over @ treetop level each day for a good 2 weeks. We just waived every time we saw 'em go over...LOL. In years past such events would have had me freaking out!

What's really set in stone is Google Earth. New pics from this Summer show my plants all happily basking in the sun.
I can also plainly see my neighbors patch of 20 or so. I know of another farmer here whose farm was photo'd by GE a few years ago and you could see his plants in the garden as well.

Nothin like that good old "Eye in the Sky"...huh?

420bassmastr

420bassmastr

It's always obvious when there near, they fly so low it's a different sound I think. Plus there's a couple patrol cars cruising the roads following them. Boy do they love the power lines behind me.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Apologies for missing this.

The most important part comes after sifting.

I've done it a ton of different ways. In my (limited) experience, getting the temps down quick is key. I would say if you have nugs that are golf ball size down to popcorn size then they should be frozen first. My preferred method is to take a branch, clip/pull fan leaves and cut off edges of fan leaves leaving plant matter with trichomes and not much else. If I am running something that is a bit dry then it can go right in to the bucket. I've tried to use larger chunks of dry ice to break up the herb but after a few runs there was more green than I wanted. Now I don't imitate a paint shaker, but sift the dry ice and nugs together. I think the more contact your plant material has with the screen, the quicker it will separate itself from the unwanted green stuff that might make it through the bags. The process takes more time but I find it to produce a stellar product.

The outside of the buckets as well as the bottom of the screen will get clogged by water in the air or in the buds. The dry ice sinks to the bottom of the bucket which (I think, I'm not a rocket surgeon) pushes the oxygen out. I either take a break or do smaller batches to combat the screen blockage. I will grade the finished product by timing the sift, seeing the color I want, collect, keep sloshing, usually I'll take 3 batches, one 30 seconds, another 30 seconds, and a final one to get all the rest. The first two are always fire and the last might be a bit green and have some plant matter in it, but it's still tits for joints or topping bowls. In a perfect world I would jar and cure just like flower, it doesn't take as long. Boveda packs or hygrometers with humidity control are good to have. The ones I use are Xicar and as big as a quarter. The water will add moisture to the end product. I think the extra moisture helps keep the flavor profile and the smell, and it adds to the marshmallow effect, which is nothing more than the final product clumps together light brown sugar. I think that light and oxygen degrade the product quickly turning it brown/gold. I think keeping it humid keeps it longer, but be careful storing in jars, the brosef had some in a jar he forgot to burp and he got some mildew on the top of the jar. This was over five days and a full mason jar that hadn't been dried, just processed. First and last time that happened.

If you have fresh frozen I would say go for it, maybe add a bit more ice. I would gently roll the bucket letting the dry ice get everything cold. I think that the dry ice gets fresh cut herb cold quickly, negating the need to dry. I have been happy with both methods, my process depends on the product. My first couple of runs were nugs, and I tried to shake the bucket violently, hoping the now-frozen buds would bust apart when it hit the top and sides of the bucket, some did, some didn't, but there was a lot of plant matter that was broken up enough to go through the screens.

I think the most important part for me, is finding the right strain. 14er's Magik has been an incredible strain for me with this method. I don't think it's anything more than dumb luck, it most definitely isn't my skill. I can't say enough that I am no master grower and that YMMV. The cut we had was a bit on the airy side, but it more than made up for it on the nose, and the yield was still better than average. I have nothing bad to say about that strain.

I think it is important to limit oxygen and to remove excess moisture. My next batch I am going to use a ceramic disk designed to keep brown sugar moist, but I'm using it backwards, putting it in dry and taking it out and replacing that with another one that is in rotation. Hopefully this helps to more efficiently move moisture from the sift into the disc.

If your stuff dries out too quickly, if you start with powder dry material, there is a higher likelihood you will end up with hay. My limited experience has shown me slower is better assuming you have good control over the environment. Live sift/dry ice extract will eventually lose the nose and be closer to kief. As long as I can ball it up like playdoh I'm happy.

Jebus I am wordy. Apologies.
Thanks for the info. All my trim from my 1st plant is dry already, but I still have some plants to experiment with and get thie down. Much apprciated!

Top Bottom