Outdoor Gardeners / Growers. Let's Talk-Show Gardens-Soil-Methods-Pests-Critters-Gardening Kind Of Stuff!

• Thread starter SnappyJack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

Zab

I’ve always heard that about under the hood of the truck to keep the mice from chewing the wires. I have had people tell me the mice made nests out of it and still chewed the wires on there vehicles!😂🤷🏼‍♂️
😂Too funny. Maybe it may work with other animals no idea. Sometimes those tips pan out, but yeah a lot of them are bunk as well.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
😂Too funny. Maybe it may work with other animals no idea. Sometimes those tips pan out, but yeah a lot of them are bunk as well.
Wires and cars and mice are just something I cannot afford to fuck around in order to find out : ) besides there’s enough people who let there cats roam the mean streets of the foothills hahaha!!!

Otto Bonn

Otto Bonn

I’ve always heard that about under the hood of the truck to keep the mice from chewing the wires. I have had people tell me the mice made nests out of it and still chewed the wires on there vehicles!😂🤷🏼‍♂️
I had 4 mice living in my mower air intake this Spring, they had found a roll of cotton twine and used it to build a little home for the Winter. I started the mower and it was smoking like hell. As I was pulling hand fulls of cotton out of the engine the mice were jumping ship, one little dude must have taken the full exhaust because he couldn't walk straight. He sat next to the barn for a couple hours looking really stoned.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
sounds like my attempt at corn, crows at every damn sprout but one!
I’ve tried corn every year now for 3 years : ) got the smallest cutest little corn last year. we dont get the best sun and I wasn’t feeding/watering correctly. Not sure if im going to do it this year ( I want to though!)
I had 4 mice living in my mower air intake this Spring, they had found a roll of cotton twine and used it to build a little home for the Winter. I started the mower and it was smoking like hell. As I was pulling hand fulls of cotton out of the engine the mice were jumping ship, one little dude must have taken the full exhaust because he couldn't walk straight. He sat next to the barn for a couple hours looking really stoned.
I imagined this in my head and was dyeing!!!! I can see it starting and smoking and you scratching your head thinking “what the hell?”😂 then the hand fulls of cotton😂 sorry to laugh but man that is a good garden story! : ) were you able to get your mowing done? With less smoke and critters?

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Because I cant help myself! and I have some fertilizer this season for them.
IMG 6153

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

OB.... Mice... got them like acorns...yes almost every year have to take off the air intake on lawn tractor.. and any other machinery left outside... in vehicles I put a 1/4 wire screen in the intake of air cleaner... makes it a pain for them to pass... and one thing I know.... they can't get an acorn thru it... unless they eat it first.

With the lawn tractor they nest under the engine shroud... not about to take that off every time... wow the stink when the engine runs the first hour... sheeessss

BEAR... Never tried corn... seems like they take up more space then worth the output... but I think one year I'd like to try just for the experience... got farm land all around me... plenty of cow corn

A few days ago I walk around the house and start seeing plants starting to punch above the ground leaves from last year.. then yesterday... Bammm... this hosta pops up

Hos

For me the garden is 4 hours work.. then 3 days of back pain.. this one of the front gardens.. about 4 days ago... tilling and adding leaf mold / compost.. if it wasn't for rock... I wouldn't have no land....
NW GARD

In the above image notice the chives.. they their all year round.. last year split them in the two you see...

Below... the beets are starting to pop

BEETS

Below the romaine lettuce is popping.

ROM

And finally the spinach is poking out....

SPIN1

Concerning critters... the battle has just begun.......

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
OB.... Mice... got them like acorns...yes almost every year have to take off the air intake on lawn tractor.. and any other machinery left outside... in vehicles I put a 1/4 wire screen in the intake of air cleaner... makes it a pain for them to pass... and one thing I know.... they can't get an acorn thru it... unless they eat it first.

With the lawn tractor they nest under the engine shroud... not about to take that off every time... wow the stink when the engine runs the first hour... sheeessss

BEAR... Never tried corn... seems like they take up more space then worth the output... but I think one year I'd like to try just for the experience... got farm land all around me... plenty of cow corn

A few days ago I walk around the house and start seeing plants starting to punch above the ground leaves from last year.. then yesterday... Bammm... this hosta pops up

View attachment 2162632

For me the garden is 4 hours work.. then 3 days of back pain.. this one of the front gardens.. about 4 days ago... tilling and adding leaf mold / compost.. if it wasn't for rock... I wouldn't have no land....
View attachment 2162628
In the above image notice the chives.. they their all year round.. last year split them in the two you see...

Below... the beets are starting to pop

View attachment 2162629

Below the romaine lettuce is popping.

View attachment 2162630

And finally the spinach is poking out....

View attachment 2162631

Concerning critters... the battle has just begun.......
Great post Snappy! Love the format : ) everyone tells me that about the corn haha, now I have to drive some distance to get to corn so having a little patch in the yard garden is fun, really the only reason I do it : ) I feed a lot of stuff to the chickens and make fall corn stalk bundles for the pumpkins on the porch.

Those are awesome raised beds! I’ve been working on mine the last few days (I think I got enough back hurt for the both of us right now). Im going to finish those today and then get some stuff in them! : ) happy growing!

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Does anyone here use any of their weed nutes on the veggie garden? Was thinking about mixing my grow food with the bloom food and feeding that to the tomatoes. Im going to use the grow food on the corn and everything else, for now.

Newbgrower1

Newbgrower1

Does anyone here use any of their weed nutes on the veggie garden? Was thinking about mixing my grow food with the bloom food and feeding that to the tomatoes. Im going to use the grow food on the corn and everything else, for now.
I use Gaia 4-4-4 on everything now. Just mixed some in my garden today. But a cpl years ago I was using the fox farm liquid nutrients and added a little bit to one tomato plant and one green bean plant and those two came out better than the rest. I just added like a 1/4 dose maybe 3x throughout the summer. So my answer is yes they will help but I would do a much smaller dose and not nearly as often as you would cannabis.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
This last storm we had come through fucked all the cherry tomatoes. Im going to restart those and buy a couple that aren’t seedlings anymore from the store just to play catch up. Strawberries took it like a champ! Freaking hail! I can get some morbid half dead cherry pics if you guys want them🫣😂🤷🏼‍♂️

I did get my raised planter “box” done! I think it turned out nice (I like it lol). And my littlest little got her carrots planted and helped me sew the corn last week. The pic with the white stuff in it was Saturday night🙄

IMG 6173
IMG 6172
IMG 6198
IMG 6213
TreeBee

TreeBee

It's that awesome time of year!!! Beans and peas poking up. I have a sort of passive aggressive relationship with weeding as you can see. This little garden is made almost entirely from salvaged materials so you will have to excuse its cattywampus nature. I transplanted a few little ladies outside this morning and they are LOVING it out in the sunshine. Got my pepper starts out today also, two of them pouted about it pretty hard but they got over it sometime this afternoon and now seem to be enjoying themselves. Going to be a good season!

Happy growing everyone!!

20240509 082156
20240509 082402
20240509 154030
20240508 071637
20240423 110141
BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
It's that awesome time of year!!! Beans and peas poking up. I have a sort of passive aggressive relationship with weeding as you can see. This little garden is made almost entirely from salvaged materials so you will have to excuse its cattywampus nature. I transplanted a few little ladies outside this morning and they are LOVING it out in the sunshine. Got my pepper starts out today also, two of them pouted about it pretty hard but they got over it sometime this afternoon and now seem to be enjoying themselves. Going to be a good season!

Happy growing everyone!!
Awesome setup! What’s the sun like through your patch, I notice you have the large trees! This is my only set back, the sun exposure (lack there of) stuff grows, just doesn’t thrive!

That lady is lookin fresh!

TreeBee

TreeBee

Awesome setup! What’s the sun like through your patch, I notice you have the large trees! This is my only set back, the sun exposure (lack there of) stuff grows, just doesn’t thrive!

That lady is lookin fresh!
Early morning sun is dappled through the trees but its full sun for at least 10 hours.

TreeBee

TreeBee

Because I cant help myself! and I have some fertilizer this season for them. View attachment 2161802
I planted some last year right out of my popping corn 100% germination. I read poppoing corn is a different type than the sweet eating corn and thought why not try it. I planted too late but they did pretty good for the time they had. Going to give it a go again this year with a wee patch.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Early morning sun is dappled through the trees but its full sun for at least 10 hours.
Thats where it’s at! We’re having a bunch of tree work done per the request of the utilities (fighting some of it lol) but should be getting a lot more sun in the near future! 🤷🏼‍♂️ I like my trees but growing bunk gardens for the past few years also has me bitterly sweet excited : )
Going to give it a go again this year with a wee patch.
Thats super fun! I know there is a little more to corn than I am putting into it hahaha! But it’s fun!

Latest posts

Top Bottom