Outdoor grow in Southeast Michigan 2024

• Thread starter cpurola
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cpurola

cpurola

*many, many expletives...*
Went to visit Mom, came home and found name tags loose on the cement!
Hubby found 2 in the grass under a half made Blue Jay nest.

Now I have 5 plants and 5 tags................

20240503 190233

Tags

20240503 190335

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
You’re getting pretty surly! Are these plants getting to you? Lol! What harm can a couple of little birds and some babies do? Instead of killing them you should be unhooking that light, until they are finished!😂

cpurola

cpurola

To head off the diseases that turn my tomatoe and zinnia leaves black and help the weed plants, I sprayed the soil with fungicides.
3 gallons water in sprayer with 2 teaspoons Tenet and 6 oz. Cease.
Today is overcast and in the 60s.
FYI,
Tenet is: Trichoderma asperellum (ICC 012) and Trichoderma gamsii (ICC 080)
Cease: Bacillus subtilis

20240505 100529

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

I love seeing the lime yellow/green fade on the new growth. Means gear up for rapid and explosive growth 😎 🤌

Blue Jays are corvids like crows, and mockingbirds. Very smart birds, but also bullies. If you have bird feeders dont expect any song birds to hang out much while the blue jay is nesting. They become aggressive, they'lll chase off other birds and swoop at you if they think you're too close to the nest.

There is a reason blue jays are becoming less common in a lot of places. People get fed up with them, their agression, and their bully nature. Unlike mockingbirds, which are like a guardian species that warns the other birds when predators are coming and what theyre doing... blue jays are a**holes. Especially when nesting. Mickingbirds will literally defend nests that arent even theirs from birds of prey. You've probably seen this happening before. And crows are only a**holes to you or other birds, if you were the a**hole first (usually).

cpurola

cpurola

I love seeing the lime yellow/green fade on the new growth. Means gear up for rapid and explosive growth 😎 🤌

Blue Jays are corvids like crows, and mockingbirds. Very smart birds, but also bullies. If you have bird feeders dont expect any song birds to hang out much while the blue jay is nesting. They become aggressive, they'lll chase off other birds and swoop at you if they think you're too close to the nest.

There is a reason blue jays are becoming less common in a lot of places. People get fed up with them, their agression, and their bully nature. Unlike mockingbirds, which are like a guardian species that warns the other birds when predators are coming and what theyre doing... blue jays are a**holes. Especially when nesting. Mickingbirds will literally defend nests that arent even theirs from birds of prey. You've probably seen this happening before. And crows are only a**holes to you or other birds, if you were the a**hole first (usually).
Yep, blue jays collect things for their nest, which is why they picked my plant tags. (damn birds)
I'm a birder and we have a feeder, but don't fill it in the summer because of the jays and red wing black birds.
Hubby has been knocking down their nest from the front of the house every day for a week and they still haven't gotten the hint. 😒

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Yep, blue jays collect things for their nest, which is why they picked my plant tags. (damn birds)
I'm a birder and we have a feeder, but don't fill it in the summer because of the jays and red wing black birds.
Hubby has been knocking down their nest from the front of the house every day for a week and they still haven't gotten the hint. 😒
People are going to find this a tad brutal.

There's an old country fellow i do mowing and stuff for every other weekend. He keeps very ornate feeders and bird houses all over his very detailed and landscaped yard. He whips out his pellet gun as soon as he see's the same blue jay visit more then once in a single day. You can absolutely tell corvids apart by their patterning and personality both.

He does not like blue jays at all. Hates em. My parents hated them. I hate them. They like to nest in my moms garage and swoop at you. I don't know a single fan of songbirds that likes blue jays lol

cpurola

cpurola

There's an old country fellow i do mowing and stuff for every other weekend. He keeps very ornate feeders and bird houses all over his very detailed and landscaped yard. He whips out his pellet gun as soon as he see's the same blue jay visit more then once in a single day. You can absolutely tell corvids apart by their patterning and personality both.

He does not like blue jays at all. Hates em. My parents hated them. I hate them. They like to nest in my moms garage and swoop at you. I don't know a single fan of songbirds that likes blue jays lol
The only reason I don't go after them is the fact they eat tent caterpillars.
I've also watched them pick a cocoon off the side of the house and rip it open.

Galgrows

Galgrows

I've had the same problem with them did'nt like them building nests under doorways. We left 1 nest up between roof an doorway maybe a 8" space/ledge they built and hatched a few babies but when the heat set in they got cooked under the roof looked like when we no longer saw life we removed the nest.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Im sorry i type such large messages, am a touch typer and i ramble on, often.

IIRC tent caterpillars only eat the foliage of the plant they were born on, wandering ones do no harm to anything. Put them on a plant they weren't born on and they don't even know what to do lol.

Most the wandering one's you see are already doomed unless they can find their way back o the same species of plant they hatched in. It's kinda bizarre though. They can be hatched on just about any tree or shrub, and thats the one they stay eating. If hatched from a tent on something man made (rare, but does happen) all those caterpillars starve to death usually, unless they fall out of the tent onto foliage, then thats what they'll stay eating.

They only problems they really create here are the mess when you step on them after they hatch in thick. Most of the time they end up in very large trees that can more then handle a tent or two, but they do end up in my moms dogwoods and goldenrods sometimes. When that happens we do indeed spray the tree.

They make insanely good fishing bait too. A lot better then nightcrawlers. The birds i see eating them most here though, are usually mockingbirds and Robbins, both species im quite fond of. I've seen the killdeer get em good when theyve fallen to the ground.

Wouldnt surprise me if tent worms take out entire old growth trees in a month up there. Its so warm so quickly in spring down here, and foliage so dense from canopy to floor, theyre only around for a week or two before they disappear to become moths, and a week later you cant even see any evidence they were ever there besides the old washed out tent.

I like tent caterpillars a lot more then i do blue jays. Personally lol. They can tear up a tree/bush pretty bad if its small enough and a tent gets pitched in em though. But they dont swoop at me or sh*t on me while yelling at me either...

What i've actually done most with tent caterpillars if i find a tent i can get to early/easily enough, is toss em in a jar full of host foliage right as they bust out of the nest. And let my nieces/nephews raise them into little moths. Great tools for peaking an interest in nature/biology/ecology for kids. Them and tadpoles both.

Last edited:
Otto Bonn

Otto Bonn

Jays will make hawk sounds to freak out other birds so they can steal their loot. They are def (smart) assholes

Otto Bonn

Otto Bonn

I had one living nearby that terrorized our dog. He would flutter over the dog and quickly drop and bite his tail. It was a big Lab but he would tuck tail and run. They're just noisy bullies

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Jays will make hawk sounds to freak out other birds so they can steal their loot. They are def (smart) assholes
My mocking birds that hang out at moms gang up on blue jays and attack them til they leave now a days. They never bucked up to the blue jays like that til after we did though. They would chase off crows and hawks, but were intimidated by the blue jays xD

Corvids are insanely intelligent. Like, raptor in Jurassic park intelligent. You can teach them and they can learn.

A blue jay could be like a mockingbird if it wanted to be, but it doesnt want to be, they enjoy being the playground bullies hahahaha. They know damn well humans think theyre pretty too, and they have an ego about it in many places.

im sorry for trailing off on your thread so bad @cpurola

Top Bottom