Outdoor grow in Southeast Michigan 2024

• Thread starter cpurola
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

How do your longer flowering sativas do? What parallel did you say you were at?
I grew a sative leaner for several years, Brutis OG x Chemdog, a 2016 cross from a 2nd generation professional grower who was a plumbing client until he moved.

8 wks is NOTHING for a sativa leaner flowering. 12, 13 wks? HAHAHA. NOT DONT YET! Another reason I love ❤️ indicas😉

Stokes

Stokes

I think im gonna do a guerilla grow somewhere with some chocolate thai lol. Just to see what happens

Have you guys actually had a plant not finish? Ive only been doing outdoors a few years. I just have trouble believing that environmental conditions wouldnt speed up the process

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

I think im gonna do a guerilla grow somewhere with some chocolate thai lol. Just to see what happens

Have you guys actually had a plant not finish? Ive only been doing outdoors a few years. I just have trouble believing that environmental conditions wouldnt speed up the process
it does to an extent, but you can absolutely be too far north to finish some sativas, and you can absolutely just have too wet of a fall to be worth the risk of finishing your indicas in some places. Indicas evolved in the well draining south facing mountainside slopes of the middle east. Sativas evolved in sub tropical areas that rarely if ever see frost from the bases of these middle east mountains on into nearly tropical regions of southeast asia. Where indicas evolved frost happens, but thats why the land races evolved dense structures and faster flowering, the environments naturally selected for it. Sativas experienced a lot more moisture, but rarely if ever cold temperatures. A lot of modern lineages need held hands through all stages of life no matter where you grow them outdoors.

If you have a cold snap mid october and your thais have a couple nights below freezing, you either pull them immediately or the plants will die and begin to rot in morning dews, etc. Such sativas will usually be too large to easily cover without damaging. If your kushes arent done and you have a cold snap, can prob fit a twin bed sheet over them and expect the leaves to keep it off the buds, but a dense indica can probably take several days with brief dips below freezing and not be hurt to much. Sativas not so much, but what sativa CAN thrive on are are lots of rain and saturated low nutrient/mineral content soils.

Where i live will occasionally have first frost eas early as first week of october, but usually its first week of november, but as early as late october isnt rare at all.

Last edited:
PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

about 36 north. But im super land locked and my first frosts are in late october.

Sativas do better here because were pretty wet and stormy in spring and fall both. Get a lot of bud rot and PM issues with heavy indicas, some turn out ok though.
when i was younger, on land about an hour north of here, i could usually finish long floweringf sativas that take 10-12 weeks indoors. diesels and hazes and stuff. Sometime frost pulled em in early on me though, but usually not enough to be a huge detriment, can usually keep a plant inground and healthy til late october here if you take good care of it. Problem with heavy indicas here, is we have lots of mid/late september thunderstorms when the nights start to get cooler.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have acess to an interesting example thats slightly relevant to a post i made earlier right now so ima give it. Sorry for the hair photobomb.

These two buds are the exact same gelato clone, from the exact same KC grower. One indoor, one outdoor bud, they weigh exactly the same. The structure, density, and trichome size is completely different. The outdoor is from this last fall, and the indoor is about 3 months old.

The terp content of the lighter green indoor is far superior to the outdoor, but the quality of high from the outdoor, as well as potency is better then the indoor. It's not as brown as the contrast makes it look under this flash shot from a $40 android phone though lmao.

You could be forgiven for thinking these two buds had no relation whatsoever, but theyre actually the SAME cut of the SAME gelato grown by the SAME grower with the SAME soils and SAME nutrients. xD
View attachment 2173945

two little handfuls next to each other lol.
View attachment 2173947
Fkin' HATE bud rot. Never experienced it until I started growing year round. My poor GDP mom this year really got it bad.
20240518 144045

I had to cut out her inner colas.
There's still damage on a few more I left
20240518 144056

She's rewarding me for dotting over her though
20240518 130423

and flowering as if it's September.
20240518 144135

She really spread out since I moved her. While not very tall now I expect a good smokable quarter pound.

20240518 130441
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

I did twice a week foliars of h202 last year and didnt have a bit of rot. Usually i get it on the chunkier colas.
when i say storms in september, im talking 30-40 minutes at a time of crazy wind, and terrential downpours.

Foliar feedings is orders of magnitude less saturation lol. Completely different ballparks as far as water volume go. The topography of our land ihere is literally cut by flash floods and how they drain out of the mountains. When low pressure systems from out west hit the mountains here out east, this close to the gulf, what happens is you find yourself in the only biome outside the PNW on earth thats considered deciduous temperate rainforest lol. I am an hour further south then back inthe day, but i was never able to finish a single heavy dense indica out here in the eastern mountains without loosing a sizable quantity of the flower to mold and rot. Even with heavy defoliation their sugar and fan leaves just funnel all the rain right into the colas and our humidities just dont let them dry out fast enough here. There are indicas that can manage im sure, i havent grown them here yet though.

Stokes

Stokes

when i say storms in september, im talking 30-40 minutes at a time of crazy wind, and terrential downpours.

Foliar feedings is orders of magnitude less saturation lol. Completely different ballparks as far as water volume go. The topography of our land ihere is literally cut by flash floods and how they drain out of the mountains. When low pressure systems from out west hit the mountains here out east, this close to the gulf, what happens is you find yourself in the only biome outside the PNW on earth thats considered deciduous temperate rainforest lol. I am an hour further south then back inthe day, but i was never able to finish a single heavy dense indica out here in the eastern mountains without loosing a sizable quantity of the flower to mold and rot. Even with heavy defoliation their sugar and fan leaves just funnel all the rain right into the colas and our humidities just dont let them dry out fast enough here. There are indicas that can manage im sure, i havent grown them here yet though.
We’re nowhere near PNW damp. But va has heavy cold rains at the worst part of the growing season. Outdoors sucks here.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

We’re nowhere near PNW damp. But va has heavy cold rains at the worst part of the growing season. Outdoors sucks here.
when it comes to sativas, my area actually has (usually) like the best climate in the country behind the emerald triangle for cannabis growing.

Its really a dont even bother with indicas kind of area though. You guys on the other side of the mountains are drier then we are over here lol, a bit colder on average too i think though.

CCP Cannabis national parks map slider resize
Stokes

Stokes

when it comes to sativas, my area actually has (usually) like the best climate in the country behind the emerald triangle for cannabis growing.

Its really a dont even bother with indicas kind of area though.
Thats awesome. I can see southern Tennessee doing good too, not sure sure about Kentucky tho.You know i was wondering the other day about how places like houston or lake charles area would do. Completely off topic.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thats awesome. I can see southern Tennessee doing good too, not sure sure about Kentucky tho.You know i was wondering the other day about how places like houston or lake charles area would do. Completely off topic.
theres pretty big areas of central kentucky you can just put plants in the ground, indica or sativa, and come back in fall and harvest. Dont even need to amend the soil for a couple seasons because its just ancient large river flood plane in many areas with literal feet of loamy soil above the bedrock.

In south central kentucky, there is some outdoor cannabis dreamland much like the emerald triangle in NorCal. You just have to risk prison sentences to take advantage of it. Same downthrough the central tennessee area. You could probably pump out the same monster plants pulling pounds each like out in mendocino. Normally very similar environments ecologically, lattitude wise, and weather wise.

Central tn and ky's fall storms are getting worse and worse yearly now though, even tornadic sometimes :/

Last edited:
cpurola

cpurola

So, I've pretty much given up on the ladies who continue to flower.
They are soooo cute tho' I can't trash them. (be quiet Oldchucky 😉 )
I'm gonna let them be and see what happens.
The purple are Frostberry and the last pic is of Okanagon Grape.

20240518 190952

20240518 190959

20240518 191009

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

So, I've pretty much given up on the ladies who continue to flower.
They are soooo cute tho' I can't trash them. (be quiet Oldchucky 😉 )
I'm gonna let them be and see what happens.
The purple are Frostberry and the last pic is of Okanagon Grape.

View attachment 2174304
View attachment 2174305
View attachment 2174306
I dont see any signs of attempted revegging. Which by mid to late may for young photoperiod plants, is kinda odd.

They seem to be developing flowers pretty nicely.

DEFINITELY do not throw them away. Even if it was full reveg bud id still reccomend holding onto it and making some edibles with it lol. Is worth it.

How 100% sure are you that some autoflowering genetics didnt somehow make it into your plants? Your days are getting longer by a few minutes every single day at those latitudes rn.

I know a few growers/pollen chuckers up north who have ended up with some autoflowering genes in their lineages completely by accident lol. Dont even know where it came from (we've always assumed careless new growers with regular seed pulling males too late, cannabis pollen can make it 30+ miles by air in a single afternoon. If your genetics were bred outdoors, up north, there is a chance there's an odd autoflower gene or two hanging out in some of your plants just because of how popular they are with newer growers up north these days and how likely it is that 1 of them is within 30 mile radius of a given breeder up there. A 30 mile radius circle is nearly **3000 square miles**)

Back in KC, if you grew outside, it was a given some wild industrial hemp was going to pollenate your plants, and you only give these seeds to enemies and assholes to grow hahahaha.

Last edited:
cpurola

cpurola

I dont see any signs of attempted revegging. Which by mid to late may for young photoperiod plants, is kinda odd.

They seem to be developing flowers pretty nicely.

DEFINITELY do not throw them away. Even if it was full reveg bud id still reccomend holding onto it and making some edibles with it lol. Is worth it.

How 100% sure are you that some autoflowering genetics didnt somehow make it into your plants? Your days are getting longer by a few minutes every single day at those latitudes rn.

I know a few growers/pollen chuckers up north who have ended up with some autoflowering genes in their lineages completely by accident lol. Dont even know where it came from (we've always assumed careless new growers with regular seed pulling males too late, cannabis pollen can make it 30+ miles by air in a single afternoon. If your genetics were bred outdoors, up north, there is a chance there's an odd autoflower gene or two hanging out in some of your plants just because of how popular they are with newer growers up north these days and how likely it is that 1 of them is within 30 mile radius of a given breeder up there. A 30 mile radius circle is nearly **3000 square miles**)

Back in KC, if you grew outside, it was a given some wild industrial hemp was going to pollenate your plants, and you only give these seeds to enemies and assholes to grow hahahaha.
This is what sold me on them, and the grower claims they all grow outdoors not under lights.

Last edited:
cpurola

cpurola

Went ahead and replaced the Okanagan Grape with one that was not flowering.
But, true to form, I didn't trash the flowering one, I relocated it. 😁
I did twice a week foliars of h202 last year and didnt have a bit of rot. Usually i get it on the chunkier colas.
How much H2O2 to a gallon, and at what strength?
Twice a week? Even if it was raining?
Just trying to figure my game plan for this year. Got'em in the ground, now I have to keep'em healthy.

Stokes

Stokes

Went ahead and replaced the Okanagan Grape with one that was not flowering.
But, true to form, I didn't trash the flowering one, I relocated it. 😁

How much H2O2 to a gallon, and at what strength?
Twice a week? Even if it was raining?
Just trying to figure my game plan for this year. Got'em in the ground, now I have to keep'em healthy.

Yea, helps protect against pests also. I generally did a 1:1 with 3%. Some people dilute even higher concentrations but to me thats flying a little close to the sun.

cpurola

cpurola

Yea, helps protect against pests also. I generally did a 1:1 with 3%. Some people dilute even higher concentrations but to me thats flying a little close to the sun.
Thank you, that gives me another option. 👍

Top Bottom